ADVERTISEMENT

Are we keeping the same energy?

lobbybuu

Retired Number
Dec 29, 2022
I remember that a good amount of people stated that they did not believe in opting out of a bowl game. So theres been some discussion on social media about whether LuRod is sitting out against Princeton. I remember some saying that they quit on their team and what not. Do the people that had strong feelings about sitting out a bowl game feel the same way when one of our own sits out a postseason game? Would you view LuRod as lesser or is that only reserved for players that are not associated with UNLV?

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I don’t think you should sit out NIT or a bowl game, but I see the players point of view if they are not in the playoff or tournament. I think it is quitting on your team but I don’t think other players think that. Also, players leaving to try to make a living is one thing versus a player sitting out to transfer.

It’s their lives, they can do whatever they want, what I or anybody else thinks doesn’t and shouldn’t matter. I don’t have to like it but it doesn’t really matter.

A kid that bolts for a significantly higher NLI, almost all of us would say, given the day and age and limited window, screw loyalty, I’m going to get what I can when I can. Again, I don’t like it, at all. But it’s what the landscape is. Players aren’t loyal, coaches aren’t loyal, it’s free for all free agency without limits.

Sure will hurt with him out. But, perhaps it improves our chances of replacing our coach. I don't know but I'm willing to take that chance.

I remember that a good amount of people stated that they did not believe in opting out of a bowl game. So theres been some discussion on social media about whether LuRod is sitting out against Princeton. I remember some saying that they quit on their team and what not. Do the people that had strong feelings about sitting out a bowl game feel the same way when one of our own sits out a postseason game? Would you view LuRod as lesser or is that only reserved for players that are not associated with UNLV?
Why wouldn't he play his potential last game? I wanted to see him shut down Lee.

It’s BS. You sign up to play for a team. The team’s season isn’t over. You may be disappointed that the team didn’t make the NCAA but that’s on LuRod as much as it is on the other players, perhaps more as a starter. Man up and follow thru on your commitment and play the f’n game. If you took NIL you have even more obligation to play the game. Man I could never be a coach in this era. The second a kid said he wasn’t playing I’d pack up his sh&t in a box and leave it outside the T&M for him to come pick up.

It’s BS. You sign up to play for a team. The team’s season isn’t over. You may be disappointed that the team didn’t make the NCAA but that’s on LuRod as much as it is on the other players, perhaps more as a starter. Man up and follow thru on your commitment and play the f’n game. If you took NIL you have even more obligation to play the game. Man I could never be a coach in this era. The second a kid said he wasn’t playing I’d pack up his sh&t in a box and leave it outside the T&M for him to come pick up.
What scholarship? We will give it to someone else next year.

I guess you do you... but personally if he sits and we win, I don't want him running back out there next game like I'm good to go coach...

We haven’t won an NIT game since Bill Bayno’s 96 team.

How do I feel about players abandoning their brothers, thier coach, and thier team ??

part of it ...its a sign of the times with the players having much more options and control over "what they do" exercising thier personal options. The thing is kids are not really equipped to make good decisions when they are immature, stubborn, and just not too bright.

After all - they are professional athletes now - the game has changed - they are BIG BOYS now " grown men" who can make their own decisions right ? Not really - Not usually and bad handlers can still give bad advice

This is a decision he will regret without a doubt. This is something he will not be proud of when he reflects back

He had some bad games towards the end - Coach got up in his ass about it too. So he dealt with it the adversity and disappointment the absolute worst way he could have . He acted entitled and selfish and gave up on HIS team -

its pathetic -

Last edited:
I would feel a little different if they have a real chance at pro ball. Maybe LuRod has that overseas. Kalib has been listed on some draft boards, so I can see him sitting just to keep to switch gears to draft prep.

Basketball is a little different in the fact that the risk of injury is much lower than football, but still exists, especially at UNLV where we seem to have to deal with more injuries than most teams.

NIT or lesser tournaments to me is more about building for the future anyway. That may matter little these days, but more game minutes for returners is where the value is.

68 teams make the NCAA tourney, no school opts out of the NCAAs but they do opt out of the NIT. UNLV hasn’t made the postseason in 11 years the only streak that matters is their lack of NCAA appearances making the NIT means nothing.
Absolutely it does mean something . - Competitive basketball - In a world where kids have to get better and IMPROVE - lets get familiar with some post season tournament styles- so next year when we get to the big dance we can will act like we earned it - lets pay some dues.

I especially want young DJT to get the experience

practice makes perfect - you don't just arrive at the big stage and WIN - Put in your time and climb back up the ladder - this isn't the Rebls of the 80's and 90's

Take what we can get
if we can play more hoops than we root for that !!

Who in there right mind would wish for NO further UNLV basketball games this year - What fan wishes for that ?? Good grief

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT