ADVERTISEMENT

MWCT

unlove

Rebel Legend
Feb 24, 2004
So what is everyone expecting from this tournament? Up until the UNR game I was hopeful that our seeding would align well for a favorable bracket and a team that is ready to make a serious run at the championship. The UNR loss pushed us into the seeding with SDSU and imo that’s the worst seeding for us. Just a bit too much to ask of this team and coaching staff to beat SDSU twice in a row within a couple weeks, even with a healthy team. If Ka. Boone is a no go any win by UNLV would have to be classified as a major upset.
If it’s not us I’d like to see USU complete its run and win the MWCT with SDSU and UNR losing as early as possible. Can’t stand BSU’s coach and I just don’t have much respect for UNM.
Short of a run in the MWCT I’m at least hoping for an NIT bid, which would at least still be a very positive step for a program that has done nothing in the post-season for over a decade. Who knows if the team is healthy for the NIT we could make some noise and perhaps help a few key transfers see the potential in brining their games to UNLV for the 24-25 season.

Reactions: Runnin-J
Were going to lose by 10-15 today if Boone doesnt play. and Even if he does, I dont have confidence we can beat SDSU the same way we did last time, theyre smart enough to learn from their mistakes and theyre coming in off 2 straight losses. I get they have their offensive struggles like we do, but I expect them to step up the pressure defense and create a lot more opportunities and then add in the way the conference tournament is usually called by refs and we're cooked...
Watch for a lot of inside contact to not get called and the on the opposite end the same contact be called. Ive seen that video to many times over the years to expect anything different.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Refs are calling fouls so have lrod, webster, and DJ drive all the time as 2 of 3 can make free throws

What a missed opportunity...
USU lost after looking extremely beatable in both games, UNR and Boise both eliminated...
Potential final would've been vs CSU or UNM...

The Curse lives

Not having a deep bench, or really any bench, put UNLV into a bad place!
Some of that is because they never gave bench much of a chance. I believe Jones, Hicks, and Nowell could have all been decent with more burn during the year. Why Jones did not play more the way we got outrebounded so bad is one the coaches should really think about.

Some of that is because they never gave bench much of a chance. I believe Jones, Hicks, and Nowell could have all been decent with more burn during the year. Why Jones did not play more the way we got outrebounded so bad is one the coaches should really think about.
Because Jones only can go a few minutes a game and despite getting some productive minutes the last 2 vs SDSU he isn't useful and often is lost defensively.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
There only a given number of minutes available. 90% of the teams in the NCAA play a 7 or 8 man rotation for the last half of the year. If you want to win games you will play your best 5 and the 2 or 3 other players come in to spell a starter or takeover in foul trouble situations.

Even at the end of the game if you are leading by a large margin it doesn't make sense to empty your bench. NET rewards a team for every point they score beyond the spread.

There only a given number of minutes available. 90% of the teams in the NCAA play a 7 or 8 man rotation for the last half of the year. If you want to win games you will play your best 5 and the 2 or 3 other players come in to spell a starter or takeover in foul trouble situations.

Even at the end of the game if you are leading by a large margin it doesn't make sense to empty your bench. NET rewards a team for every point they score beyond the spread.
If you never play your bench they will not perform well when you need them. I get Jones is a rebounder only. But with the way we got crushed on the boards this year, yeah, I think he should have played more. We had a bunch of one dimensional players get tons of time, so what would have been the harm in one more? Or did you enjoy seeing LRod shoot 3's all the time when he was terrible at shooting 3's?

Reactions: rebelzzz
I don't enjoy either, lol... they lead to losing. But Jones doesn't fit the defensive pressure needed and doesn't move around smooth enough to switch on defense. He also doesn't rebound as well as you say. Outside Sr night where he came out juiced and against the NiAA school his rebounding is abysmal for a guy his size. In fact his rebounding average dropped despite getting more minutes per game. I'm not sure why his game isn't translating based on size alone but outside the occasional dunk off a missed shot he doesn't create.
In a more perfect world, he'd run the puck and roll with DTJ the way Self uses Harris and whatever center he's had in there. DTJ drives, pulls the 2nd defender and Jones would be the dish for an easy dunk... except Jones can't set a pick and roll to the bucket

If you never play your bench they will not perform well when you need them. I get Jones is a rebounder only. But with the way we got crushed on the boards this year, yeah, I think he should have played more. We had a bunch of one dimensional players get tons of time, so what would have been the harm in one more? Or did you enjoy seeing LRod shoot 3's all the time when he was terrible at shooting 3's?
I'm looking for it hard but I can't find where I said "never play your bench." I said teams go to a 7-8 man rotation at the last half of the year. Some of the best go to 6 in close games. In the last half of the year if you want to win you play your best.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT