ADVERTISEMENT

George Karl

It was just confirmed by the writer from USA today. He said he heard the same thing.

HDa1PHLk_normal.jpeg
Matt Youmans (@mattyoumans247)
4/16/16, 1:07 PM
George Karl's proposed staff was Augmon, Welch and Karl's son. Due around $7 mil from the Kings, Karl was willing to coach at UNLV for 500k

Download the Twitter app

------

How could this possibly be true?
If that's true, TKM and Jessup's offices should be burned to the f'n ground!

Surely they didn't just turn down George Karl at 500k

Heartbreaking.
Please let something stop this from happening.

Is there any way the BOR could hear the "Karl offer" part of the story and pull something weird like voting down the hire due to UNLV improperly excluding a clearly superior option?

Yes, I realize that's crazy. Sounds like some GOP scotus ish, but what do we have to lose.

The idea is Tina is a lame duck and the next AD should get to decide. Right?

I'm with ya Mjs. Let's figure this out. I know that there are well connected people on this board. Most probably reside in the confidential board, but come on. Can we all band together on this?

I mean, the contract isn't signed yet. Can we get a message to Karl that MANY rebel fans fully support him coming to UNLV and that we have not given up yet?

Or better yet, refocus it on ways to get the BOR to reject this contract.
I don't know if that's even possible. If you could prove Karl would take the job for half of what they're giving Menzies.... even then the Reno scum that voted NO on Beard will vote YES this time guaranteed, just to screw UNLV, plus the racist Stephens witch will of course reverse her stance with a brother up for a job.

Heartbreaking.
Please let something stop this from happening.

Is there any way the BOR could hear the "Karl offer" part of the story and pull something weird like voting down the hire due to UNLV improperly excluding a clearly superior option?

Yes, I realize that's crazy. Sounds like some GOP scotus ish, but what do we have to lose.

The idea is Tina is a lame duck and the next AD should get to decide. Right?
Never thought I'd publicly admit this, but I actually 100% agree with your post. I have been saying the same thing on twitter. If we sign Karl for 1/2 of what they are paying Menzies, we wouldn't need outside financial assistance. We could take back control of our basketball program. Any one have connection to Cliff Findley, maybe they could convince him & TKM would listen to him. In the meantime, write you BOR rep and if you are a season ticket include your renewal number as I have. To quote the Dude, this aggression Wil not stand, man.. ;)

Reactions: Mjs_702
Anyone else hearing that Cliff actually wanted Karl?

I hate the fact that he has any say, but if that's true and he can stop this I'll take back anything bad I've ever said about him.

Swapping Menzies for Karl would be a program saving move if you ask me. The greater good would be served.

Reactions: Rebel Chi-girl
I trust my source, but I'm not going to pretend like I know this to be 100% fact.

While I'm with you that I don't necessarily want him to have that kind of power...I do want him to have that kind of power to remedy a situation like this. Or at least contribute to remedying the situation. Plus, it's how college athletics works around the country.

Come on Cliff, make the right call. If you get us out of this mess TKM will be remembered as the woman who took us to the brink and you can be the one who saved us by landing a HOF coach.

I'd love it if the story ended that way.

Reactions: UNLV2Grad

Maybe all of the information isn't out yet.

I know the predictable response here would be were about to give Cronin more than that. That money was coming from outside sources mostly.

Maybe these outside sources weren't willing to pony up for Karl? In which case if it's true, we can find out who and have him sterilized, but that is a different story.

Maybe all of the information isn't out yet.

I know the predictable response here would be were about to give Cronin more than that. That money was coming from outside sources mostly.

Maybe these outside sources weren't willing to pony up for Karl? In which case if it's true, we can find out who and have him sterilized, but that is a different story.

Well, when Dan Wolken and Matt Youmans says otherwise....Mark Anderson is a mouthpiece for the Graney gang.

A lot of different info out there. I would also like to dissect what happened with Ryan Miller. Reports in the afternoon that Miller was on a flight back to Vegas, was the leading candidate. Then within hours Menzies essentially has the job? Anyone find this timeline intriguing?

Hopefully more details come out but the USA writer tweeted something along the lines of it was bad business to fly a guy out here to be HC and start recruiting only to bait and switch.

I'm not put off by the 2M per year figure. I would have gladly renewed my season tix - even shelled out MORE for them. If you were gonna pony up 2M for Mick Croney, then you sure as hell can find the 2M for Karl.

We had a chance to hire a HOF coach and keep the greatest living rebel in the fold at the same time. And instead we got much, much less.

Tina had one of the best coaches in NBA history show up out of nowhere to save the day. Instead of thinking if through she elected to push this hurry up job through on a Saturday for absolutely no good reason.

I'd support any reasonable action against this hire within my (admittedly limited) means.

Last edited:
We had a chance to hire a HOF coach and keep the greatest living rebel in the fold at the same time. And instead we got much, much less.

Tina had one of the best coaches in NBA history show up out of nowhere to save the day. Instead of thinking if through she elected to push this hurry up job through on a Saturday for absolutely no good reason.

I'd support any reasonable action against this hire within my (admittedly limited) means.

I'm in disbelief. So much that my anger has been numbed.

Yea, something shady happened. Allegedly.

This thing was intentionally rushed, forced in on a Saturday (when all shady news is released). There is absolutely no reason we couldn't have negotiated with Karl over the weekend and into next week. We could have a HOF coach by now.

Tina tried to cram this thing down our throat before anyone could react. That's shady.

My guess is she was so overwhelmed and distraught at being played- AGAIN- that she threw her hands up and said "just hire Menzies and get this over with".

Marvin Menzies is a reactionary hire made by a distraught, incompetent, toxic athletic director who knows shes at the end of her rope.

Reactions: ThailandReb
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT