ADVERTISEMENT

Future of CKK

As of this posting, he will not be fired. Talks about the future have been had all season. The last 10 games have changed the tune of the higher-ups. I was not informed of any of this until today.
You can kinda see that through the Twitter posts by the UNLV Athletics/basketball account...

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Steve fisher also has a resume with a Final 4 attached to it when he got to SDSU. Not even remotely close
This is a great post to show the unfathomable comparison of Fischer to Kevin. Except you can also add that he had a national championship ring (1988-89) AND two more final fours (Fab 5).

Kevin was the last assistant on a bad staff and had zero resume to be hired.

Reasons to go: Offensive scheme is too slow. Defense: has serious flaws. Three: this conference is overrated. We should compare our team to Big East teams, a single Christmas win over Creighton does not make a comparison. Coaching the bench in order to make the starters better. Zero results in that area also. If you think that the win vs the SJSU foreign born intramural team was good, You need to reevaluate the results.

As of this posting, he will not be fired. Talks about the future have been had all season. The last 10 games have changed the tune of the higher-ups. I was not informed of any of this until today.
Exactly. Harper can kick that can down the road for another year and re-evaluate at that time and focus on football.

So change the story a little bit. Kruger comes in and has a final four under his belt and gives you 6 mediocre seasons. You don’t think everyone would be calling for his head?
I don’t honestly cause the potential would be tangible not a guessing game to whether or not he will turn out to be the guy we all want. 6 mediocre seasons is also too long for anyone these days. When MW programs change coaches on a regular basis and somehow turn programs into winners is all the proof you need. Again I hope he can find magic and win the next 5 games and get us back into the dance. It would show a true mark progression. It’s been too damn long

Reactions: rebel5280
What happens if we lose the last 3 total games (distinct possibility) and are then talking alphabet soup tourneys starting with a CBI?

I totally agree. What he has done since Air Force has removed him from the hot seat for this year. If not for the refs bad calls verse Utah State, UNLV would have been in first place.

As a side note, this is the best record UNLV has had since 2012!

I totally agree. What he has done since Air Force has removed him from the hot seat for this year. If not for the refs bad calls verse Utah State, UNLV would have been in first place.

As a side note, this is the best record UNLV has had since 2012!
I'm usually the person that hates what ifs because we could down a rabbit hole. What if xyz team did this and had no injuries and blah blah blah. That could apply to every team. But I'll never forgive the USU blunder by the refs. That's unforgivable and those types of losses suck the air out of a team and fanbase.

I'm usually the person that hates what ifs because we could down a rabbit hole. What if xyz team did this and had no injuries and blah blah blah. That could apply to every team. But I'll never forgive the USU blunder by the refs. That's unforgivable and those types of losses suck the air out of a team and fanbase.
Especially if that one call is the difference between "Regular Season Champions" and "oh hey look we finished T3..."

Reactions: dcut03 and LVBC189
No reason to complain about the Utah St loss (call) when they refused to actually play against AF at home and stopped playing with the lead against Reno. They could still be in first with the loss to USU. Not shocking when you look at the non conference bogus losses. How soon do we forget Southern, LMU, and the entire Florida trip.

The next 2 weeks will determine KK's immediate future with the Rebels. Needs to get at least 2 wins over the next 2 weeks to keep his job IMO. 2 wins will get the Rebels in at least the NIT. To me it's NIT/NCAA tournament or move on.

You have to look at a few things here. I think too much is looking at the end results of this one season.

The NCAA or bust argument for Kevin in year 3 is short sighted. The goal should not be having Kevin being closer to a finished product in year 3, it should be to see if he can get us there and improve. Especially when you are all in on football ( as you should be) and Kevin is on a very School friendly contract.

True things: 3 bad losses this year, probably some of the worst in recent history. These are the biggest flags. AFA being the big one, just because it was at home, we were at near full strength (at least what we have now) and it seemed like we were past that when it happened.

Also True. Best quad one record since Kevin has been here, and last I checked it is the best quad 1 record by % in the conference.
A lot to be determined, but it looks to be one of the best conference finishes in years, in what could be a record year for the conference with maybe 6 bids to the tourney (again TBD). 5 seems likely which would tie a previous record.
Kevin is 6-2 against the top 25 in the last 8. 6-4 overall ( the additional 2 losses were the #2 and #4 teams respectively). He has more top 25 wins then the past 2 coaches combined. And yes the Utah state Robbery counts as one of the losses.

Now of course the bar shouldn't be what Menzies did here, or what Otz did HERE ( maybe what he has done since). But it just shows that he isn't just as bad as our last 2 coaches. I think it is been established enough that he can compete with the top of this conference, which should be the bar.

The fact that Kevin has done this with such little experience seems to be the piece that no one talks about. That is the most promising thing. Again, it doesn't mean that he will get any better, but potential is higher with him than a retread with the same results.

You can see adjustments as the years have gone on. He is trying a lot of different things and have made mistakes. But he has adjusted from them. I think it is hard to complain about defense at this point. It is maybe the second best to SDSU at this point in conference ( I haven't looked at the stats). But it can be very effective.

Style of play? Meh. We go slow because we pound it inside, our defense pushes the other team to the end of the shot clock often. Pace of the game is slow. Big Whoop. It has been working.

I have my fair share of complaints that is for sure. It still isn't perfect just yet. But I see Kevin fixing things that I took issue with over this season especially.

Seems like CKK is a band-aid more than a fix. Can he draw enough confidence in him to start bringing in more NIL money to bring in better recruits/transfers???? Can he start winning enough games to draw more fans in. Can he start winning by blowing out lesser teams and putting a more exciting form of basketball? Can he learn to finish end of games better?? Im skeptical still ,but you give him another year if he can finish decently. UNLESS u can sign a Chris Mack or someone close to it. NO more experiments.

You have to look at a few things here. I think too much is looking at the end results of this one season.

The NCAA or bust argument for Kevin in year 3 is short sighted. The goal should not be having Kevin being closer to a finished product in year 3, it should be to see if he can get us there and improve. Especially when you are all in on football ( as you should be) and Kevin is on a very School friendly contract.

True things: 3 bad losses this year, probably some of the worst in recent history. These are the biggest flags. AFA being the big one, just because it was at home, we were at near full strength (at least what we have now) and it seemed like we were past that when it happened.

Also True. Best quad one record since Kevin has been here, and last I checked it is the best quad 1 record by % in the conference.
A lot to be determined, but it looks to be one of the best conference finishes in years, in what could be a record year for the conference with maybe 6 bids to the tourney (again TBD). 5 seems likely which would tie a previous record.
Kevin is 6-2 against the top 25 in the last 8. 6-4 overall ( the additional 2 losses were the #2 and #4 teams respectively). He has more top 25 wins then the past 2 coaches combined. And yes the Utah state Robbery counts as one of the losses.

Now of course the bar shouldn't be what Menzies did here, or what Otz did HERE ( maybe what he has done since). But it just shows that he isn't just as bad as our last 2 coaches. I think it is been established enough that he can compete with the top of this conference, which should be the bar.

The fact that Kevin has done this with such little experience seems to be the piece that no one talks about. That is the most promising thing. Again, it doesn't mean that he will get any better, but potential is higher with him than a retread with the same results.

You can see adjustments as the years have gone on. He is trying a lot of different things and have made mistakes. But he has adjusted from them. I think it is hard to complain about defense at this point. It is maybe the second best to SDSU at this point in conference ( I haven't looked at the stats). But it can be very effective.

Style of play? Meh. We go slow because we pound it inside, our defense pushes the other team to the end of the shot clock often. Pace of the game is slow. Big Whoop. It has been working.

I have my fair share of complaints that is for sure. It still isn't perfect just yet. But I see Kevin fixing things that I took issue with over this season especially.
You are much better with words than I. This is exactly how I feel.

Seems like CKK is a band-aid more than a fix. Can he draw enough confidence in him to start bringing in more NIL money to bring in better recruits/transfers???? Can he start winning enough games to draw more fans in. Can he start winning by blowing out lesser teams and putting a more exciting form of basketball? Can he learn to finish end of games better?? Im skeptical still ,but you give him another year if he can finish decently. UNLESS u can sign a Chris Mack or someone close to it. NO more experiments.
A band-aid is what UNLV has had for ever coach since Kruger. Rice did have a couple of really good years, but then totally collapsed. The last two years with Rice as coach UNLV was 18-15 both seasons. Menzies, even with a really watered down schedule had a best season of 20-13 with his 3rd season being 17-14. TJ was 17-15 and 12-15. Currently UNLV is 18-10 with more wins against ranked teams than any of those past seasons.

At this point my expectation is that Kevin Kruger will be back as the coach for next season. As a side point, the last time UNLV had an in conference winning percentage as high as it currently is was back in 2010-2011 under Lon Kruger.

As for the Massey composite rankings for UNLV, they currently have UNLV at #77 with only about half of the rankings in, so it looks like a must for UNLV to win the last two conference games and do well in the tournament to have any chance to get into the NCAA as an at large. Since the composite rankings have all six MWC teams in the top 41 ranked, there is a really good chance for UNLV to move up if they can beat #33 unr and #19 San Diego State, but then they will need to at least win two more games in the tournament.

Reactions: Runnin-J
Some fans are concerned about the money being there for a big name coach. I see it the other way around, UNLV’s financial future relies on getting a big name coach because the 13-15k empty seats in the Mack should be the biggest factor. The attendance speaks volumes about what Las Vegas thinks of Kevin as a coach.

A band-aid is what UNLV has had for ever coach since Kruger. Rice did have a couple of really good years, but then totally collapsed. The last two years with Rice as coach UNLV was 18-15 both seasons. Menzies, even with a really watered down schedule had a best season of 20-13 with his 3rd season being 17-14. TJ was 17-15 and 12-15. Currently UNLV is 18-10 with more wins against ranked teams than any of those past seasons.

At this point my expectation is that Kevin Kruger will be back as the coach for next season. As a side point, the last time UNLV had an in conference winning percentage as high as it currently is was back in 2010-2011 under Lon Kruger.

As for the Massey composite rankings for UNLV, they currently have UNLV at #77 with only about half of the rankings in, so it looks like a must for UNLV to win the last two conference games and do well in the tournament to have any chance to get into the NCAA as an at large. Since the composite rankings have all six MWC teams in the top 41 ranked, there is a really good chance for UNLV to move up if they can beat #33 unr and #19 San Diego State, but then they will need to at least win two more games in the tournament.
We’re not getting an at large bid. We’re also not going to win each of the next 3 games. Have you watched them play the last 2? Bad basketball.

Reactions: billd99s
Here's the camp I'm in now that UNR is getting so much top #25 buzz. Beat their asses in Reno and Kruger gets another year.

We've kept football coaches just for painting the cannon red, we might as well do it for basketball. Now that the two sports have reversed in importance.

I hate to say this but I think it is more likely UNLV loses the next three then it is they win the next 3

Reactions: rebeltob
Seems like what the "hardcore" fans want - like the few that are left here on Rebel-Net .... those That want Kevin fired -

that Is not the majority opinion that the average fan wants - & seems extreme at this juncture of the season -

After all we have improved a lot - a fact often not mentioned here

There is a Big difference between Kevin and the Otz & Marvin types

Difference is people like Kevin and they like his dad - Marvin and Otz paved their futures elsewhere. BYe FElicia

IDK why people are trying to figure all of this out now when their still is a lot of basketball left to be played that will make the decision a lot easier

AFTER all the bball has been played this year - seems like we will be able to see the clear picture

in the meantime root for the Rebels to win and cheer hard -

Here's the thing with the whole attendance discussion. A new coach that is worth getting is going to cost at least double to Kevin, if not triple or more.

THe likelihood of getting a name hire is pretty low, just due to the cost to play that game. That is the only way we get an significant uptick in fan support. And that doesn't include the buyout for KK either.

So say we hire the Barry Odom for basketball, under the radar hire than people weren't terribly excited about. It will take a monster first part of the season, likely beating multiple ranked teams and being ranked ourselves to gain some interest.

Then how many fans jump on board? Yeesh hard to say. We got some decent crowds for football towards the end of the year, but they were disappointing considering how well they were doing for a stretch there.

Last game the turnout was disappointing, but it was encouraging the previous 2 home games. Especially CSU since we lost that close one to UNR previously.

A strong finish to this season, maybe NIT. I think we see an uptick with Kevin next year. Maybe more8-10k games for the bigger home games. A better baseline for the other games.

UNLV only has so much money. From the other coach's comments, it seems like UNLV may be towards the top of the MW in terms of NIL. That is a good thing. Having a cheaper coach that is honestly outperforming his salary with good NIL may be the way to go. We just need Kev to continue to improve.

Seems like what the "hardcore" fans want - like the few that are left here on Rebel-Net .... those That want Kevin fired -

that Is not the majority opinion that the average fan wants - & seems extreme at this juncture of the season -

After all we have improved a lot - a fact often not mentioned here

There is a Big difference between Kevin and the Otz & Marvin types

Difference is people like Kevin and they like his dad - Marvin and Otz paved their futures elsewhere. BYe FElicia

IDK why people are trying to figure all of this out now when their still is a lot of basketball left to be played that will make the decision a lot easier

AFTER all the bball has been played this year - seems like we will be able to see the clear picture

in the meantime root for the Rebels to win and cheer hard -
I wanted Kevin gone earlier like most. I have seen such a change in him and the energy of the offense and defense since , I would like to give him another chance. Also winning 9 of 10 at this stage of the year means team is peaking, which is what all teams strive for.
My 2 cents...almost a 100% turnaround ! I say what I see

Here's the thing with the whole attendance discussion. A new coach that is worth getting is going to cost at least double to Kevin, if not triple or more.

THe likelihood of getting a name hire is pretty low, just due to the cost to play that game. That is the only way we get an significant uptick in fan support. And that doesn't include the buyout for KK either.

So say we hire the Barry Odom for basketball, under the radar hire than people weren't terribly excited about. It will take a monster first part of the season, likely beating multiple ranked teams and being ranked ourselves to gain some interest.

Then how many fans jump on board? Yeesh hard to say. We got some decent crowds for football towards the end of the year, but they were disappointing considering how well they were doing for a stretch there.

Last game the turnout was disappointing, but it was encouraging the previous 2 home games. Especially CSU since we lost that close one to UNR previously.

A strong finish to this season, maybe NIT. I think we see an uptick with Kevin next year. Maybe more8-10k games for the bigger home games. A better baseline for the other games.

UNLV only has so much money. From the other coach's comments, it seems like UNLV may be towards the top of the MW in terms of NIL. That is a good thing. Having a cheaper coach that is honestly outperforming his salary with good NIL may be the way to go. We just need Kev to continue to improve.
AND... A lot of team are not killing it attendance wise.

Don't forget Kevin's salary is only $750,000. Alford makes almost double that. Musselman makes $4 million. Before we move on from Kevin, consider the financial commitment it takes to get someone else supposedly as good or perhaps better.

"The NCAA or bust argument for Kevin in year 3 is short sighted."

Pick a coach who is currently successful or has shown good success over the past 20 years. The large majority have been to the post season in three years or less after getting his first Head Coaching gig. Some of them are a poor comparison to CKK as they were assistants in a successful program and they were able to just pick up and continue. Others, however, came into programs that were faltering and boosted them to the NCAA/NIT in three years.

On the other side are many hundreds of coaches who took over a program and didn't get to the post season. These names are most likely unfamiliar because they were let go in the fourth - fifth year and fell into obscurity.

Something you will see in most of the successful coaches is a relatively long wait as an assistant. A good example of this is Chris Mack. He started his coaching career as a JV High School coach. Then moved to High School and then to Assistant positions at Xavier, Wake Forest and back to Xavier. His first head coaching position was 2009 - a full 16 years after he started coaching at JV level. He immediately took the team dancing.

This is where CKK has limitations. He was an assistant for only 7 years before becoming Head Coach. Three of those under his father and two with OTZ. ( I believe in a deal involving OTZ, ISU, LK, CKK and Desiree) IMO, he's still learning on the job. He was hired way too early in his career.

With all that, I think we should keep him because the turmoil of his departure would be worse than what we would gain. I also believe NIL will become as important as the coach and nobody knows who the successful coaches and programs will be going forward.

Last edited:
"The NCAA or bust argument for Kevin in year 3 is short sighted."

Pick a coach who is currently successful or has shown good success over the past 20 years. The large majority has been to a the post season in three years or less after getting his first Head Coaching gig. Some of them are a poor comparison to CKK as they were assistants in a successful program and they were able to just pick up and continue. Others, however, came into programs that were faltering and boosted them to the NCAA/NIT in three years.

On the other side are many hundreds of coaches who took over a program and didn't get to the post season. These names are most likely unfamiliar because they were let go in the fourth - fifth year and fell into obscurity.

Something you will see in most of the successful coaches is a relatively long wait as an assistant. A good example of this is Chris Mack. He started his coaching career as a JV High School coach. Then moved to High School and then to Assistant positions at Xavier, Wake Forest and back to Xavier. His first head coaching position was 2009 - a full 16 years after he started coaching at JV level. He immediately took the team dancing.

This is where CKK has limitations. He was an assistant for only 7 years before becoming Head Coach. Three of those under his father and two with OTZ. ( I believe in a deal involving OTZ, ISU, LK, CKK and Desiree) IMO, he's still learning on the job. He was hired way too early in his career.

With all that, I think we should keep him because the turmoil of his departure would be worse than what we would gain. I also believe NIL will become as important as the coach and nobody knows who the successful coaches and programs will be going forward.
This is why I think a little more patience with Kevin should be there.

He is learning on the job. Not many wanted another coach in that situation, I get, but here we are.

There have been mistakes, but you cannot deny there has been positives. Being able to beat good teams being the good one. Which is arguably one of the most difficult parts of the job.

If we were trade all the bad losses for the good wins, then I think this is a different discussion. That is the definition of mediocre. Beating up on bad teams, but not competing with better teams in year 3? Harder sell for me.

Kevin being cheap helps, especially since his entire salary was practically covered by TJ's buyout. UNLV can afford to be patient. The fact he is a legacy and is more likely to want to stay with some success gives some points too.

I wanted Kevin gone earlier like most. I have seen such a change in him and the energy of the offense and defense since , I would like to give him another chance. Also winning 9 of 10 at this stage of the year means team is peaking, which is what all teams strive for.
My 2 cents...almost a 100% turnaround ! I say what I see
Eh, 7 out of the 9 wins have been against the bottom 4 teams in the conference. If we had beaten AFA at home, we should have won 10 out of the last 11, with a clean sweep of the bottom 4 teams.

We also should’ve taken care of UNR at home, let that one slip away when we were in total control.

We are winning the games against bad teams. If we weren’t, I think KK would be packing his bags right now. These last 2-5 games will go a long way in showing how much our team has actually improved. I’m hopeful, but skeptical with how the year will end.

Rebs have improved this season during the season. Rice teams got worse as season went on. That is a plus for CKK.

But isn't the real lever DJ? If he leaves, it is a big rebuild and then another coach starts making more sense. If he stays, then CKK stays assuming DJ and family still like CKK and do not want a change.

Rebs have improved this season during the season. Rice teams got worse as season went on. That is a plus for CKK.

But isn't the real lever DJ? If he leaves, it is a big rebuild and then another coach starts making more sense. If he stays, then CKK stays assuming DJ and family still like CKK and do not want a change.
DJ and Whaley carrying team... everyone else hasn't really elevated their games. If we ever did get the Boones at their bests together with Whaley and DJ, we'd win games by 15-20... especially Keylan who was supposed to be the 3pt sharp shooter

Eh, 7 out of the 9 wins have been against the bottom 4 teams in the conference. If we had beaten AFA at home, we should have won 10 out of the last 11, with a clean sweep of the bottom 4 teams.

We also should’ve taken care of UNR at home, let that one slip away when we were in total control.

We are winning the games against bad teams. If we weren’t, I think KK would be packing his bags right now. These last 2-5 games will go a long way in showing how much our team has actually improved. I’m hopeful, but skeptical with how the year will end.
Very cogent take on the situation. Take emotion out of it and see the reality. Any basketball aficionado will say we are not playing good ball despite beating some terrible teams.

Very cogent take on the situation. Take emotion out of it and see the reality. Any basketball aficionado will say we are not playing good ball despite beating some terrible teams.
What about 5-2 against ranked teams?

Last edited:
Reactions: Runnin-J
UNLV was screwed verse Utah St., they easily beat Creighton, beat New Mexico twice, and Colorado St at home. UNLV is one game out of first in the conference because they have won many of the big games. The MWC has 6 teams listed in the Massy composite ranking in the top 41 teams, if UNLV wasn't playing well overall, they wouldn't be in the position they currently are in.

No doubt UNLV also lost to unr in a game that they should have won, but how many other conferences are currently believed to get 6 or more teams into the tournament?

What about 5-2 against ranked teams?
I was referring to the last couple of games when the actual play on the court was not up to par. If we had played anyone else in conference we would have lost. This is the time of year a team should be peaking and the Rebs are just going through the motions and making a lot of unforced errors.

Also the quad 1 wins you mentioned are great. However, they make the collection of quad 4 losses all the more maddening. It’s up to the coaching staff to have the players ready and motivated for every game, not just the ranked teams. Ultimately, we will miss out on the NCAAs because of those losses when there could have been so much more in play.

I was referring to the last couple of games when the actual play on the court was not up to par. If we had played anyone else in conference we would have lost. This is the time of year a team should be peaking and the Rebs are just going through the motions and making a lot of unforced errors.

Also the quad 1 wins you mentioned are great. However, they make the collection of quad 4 losses all the more maddening. It’s up to the coaching staff to have the players ready and motivated for every game, not just the ranked teams. Ultimately, we will miss out on the NCAAs because of those losses when there could have been so much more in play.
We won by 18 !!

Reactions: dcut03
We won by 18 !!
Was it a perfectly executed game? No. But it was a sloppy low intensity affair and we pulled away and ot wasn't in doubt. This same team hung with SDSU in the final minutes.
Also any win by 10 is pretry big for us. We play slow and plotting and grind it out. Very similar to SDSU actually. So 18 points is a large amount.

Did you go to the SJSU game? It was obvious that they did enough to easily win and to allow a lot of the bench to play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT