ADVERTISEMENT

From the bottom 10 list to a bowl

UNLVWINS

Lottery Pick
May 14, 2005
What a difference a week can mean in college football. One week we are at the very top of the bottom 10 list. Now ESPN is projecting us for a bowl game. What a huge turn around. We will see how these next games turn out. Even though Idaho is going FCS next year I will still take that win. SJSU, SDSU and at Air Force are huge games. We will see what this team is made of...

Reactions: mvvsmith
At this point it's water under the bridge and everyone needs to move on from that Howard game. And even moreso, that game to me accentuates how very little the media cares about the details.

Was it a really bad loss? Yes. If you buy into the weight of betting lines, was it a REALLY bad loss? Sure.

But did that game show that we are one of the worst teams in college football? IMO, if you watched that game, have half a brain, and can look past what the headline/140-character media spit out, the answer there was "no". No film. Vastly underrated opponent. Some decent athletes. Mistakes in high volume. Mistakes leading directly to points for them and taken from us.

We're not a bottom 10 team.

At this point it's water under the bridge and everyone needs to move on from that Howard game. And even moreso, that game to me accentuates how very little the media cares about the details.

Was it a really bad loss? Yes. If you buy into the weight of betting lines, was it a REALLY bad loss? Sure.

But did that game show that we are one of the worst teams in college football? IMO, if you watched that game, have half a brain, and can look past what the headline/140-character media spit out, the answer there was "no". No film. Vastly underrated opponent. Some decent athletes. Mistakes in high volume. Mistakes leading directly to points for them and taken from us.

We're not a bottom 10 team.

I don't like playing FCS schools at all. We play down to lesser teams.

Reactions: Sonny44
Just wondering how winning 63-13 and 80-8 is playing down to competition, that's all.

I think when you are favored by almost 50 points at home to an FCS school you must at least win the game. Right? So I would say that is definitely playing down to your competition. Let's see how we do against Grambling State next year.

I think when you are favored by almost 50 points at home to an FCS school you must at least win the game. Right? So I would say that is definitely playing down to your competition. Let's see how we do against Grambling State next year.
You say we play down to lesser teams, but you are using one (lousy) game as your basis. There is more than just one game to use as a body of work under Sanchez.

We also played down to unr last year and got blow out even while favored. unr school and team are always FCS to me.

We also played down to unr last year and got blow out even while favored. unr school and team are always FCS to me.

The unr game was a total embarrassment! We were favored by 10 and lost by 35. I heard the game was over after the first series. We did beat Hawaii on the road last year though. We hadn't won over there since J-Rob was around...

That is why I do not understand how they had Hawaii favored coming into the season when they never win at UNLV. After Howard, every team was favored over UNLV.

That is why I do not understand how they had Hawaii favored coming into the season when they never win at UNLV. After Howard, every team was favored over UNLV.

UNLV should beat Hawaii. They always do at home. I think they should beat SJSU. Then SDSU and at Air Force. We can't afford to start 2-4.

I don't like playing FCS schools at all. We play down to lesser teams.
I've wondered what's the problem UNLV losing to FCS schools, most notably the failure of Bobby Hauck to beat FCS teams he beat handily and repeatedly at Montana. This, I think explains it. Maybe Sanchez will get the Rebs past this, altho I do agree that UNLV should stop scheduling games w/ FCS opponents.

I've wondered what's the problem UNLV losing to FCS schools, most notably the failure of Bobby Hauck to beat FCS teams he beat handily and repeatedly at Montana. This, I think explains it. Maybe Sanchez will get the Rebs past this, altho I do agree that UNLV should stop scheduling games w/ FCS opponents.

There is no point for UNLV to schedule FCS teams. You get a win wow big whip. It is an FCS team. You lose and the whole world falls apart. It sets you up for failure.

If we're not favored every game, that's fine by me. I would rather they play from an underdog position and with a chip on their shoulders.

This program does better as the underdog. Real smart to start hyping bowl games before the season begins.

It can be an easy win, and is meant to be a tune up game. Also counts towards the bowl win count.

You are supposed the win these games. And if we played them 5 more times, we would win all 5. Yeah it hurts your feelings and rep to lose them.

Swapping this game out for another power team may not be a good idea when we are desperate to be bowl eligible. We already have one bodybag/paycheck game.

It can be an easy win, and is meant to be a tune up game. Also counts towards the bowl win count.

You are supposed the win these games. And if we played them 5 more times, we would win all 5. Yeah it hurts your feelings and rep to lose them.

Swapping this game out for another power team may not be a good idea when we are desperate to be bowl eligible. We already have one bodybag/paycheck game.
If we played Idaho in week 1 and Howard in week 2, we would be 2-0.

Not "excusing" the loss, but it is what it is.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT