ADVERTISEMENT

Fresno State at Wyoming

It is hard to predicting anything involving UNLV with this QB situation. With Brum, you cannot feel too good about UNLV chance. If the Coaches decides on Maiava for the rest of the year then it a little easier to predicts the progression because we have some samples.

My feeling on the QB situation is this...

If Brumfield and Maiava both played the best game they are capable who would you want.

I think Doug because of his legs and how dynamic it makes him.

If they both played their worst game possible..Who would you want the least.

I think it would also be Doug.

If Brumfield and Maiava both played the best game they are capable who would you want.

If they both played their worst game possible..Who would you want the least.

I agree with that completely.

But sometimes you want the most stable.

If they both played their worst game possible. Who would you want the least.

More likely to hit a guy in stride on schedule for a medium or deep level pass- Jaden
More likely to make the right read in a Read option- maybe Jaden but its close.

More like to break a run for a big gain- Doug
More likely to scramble for a big throw- Doug

I think both players have been pretty good at the short stuff this season.

Doug has protected the ball a bit better, and for whatever reason fewer pre snap penalties.
Also Jaden has had some bigger mistakes when it comes to errant throws or option decisions, Some led to turnovers, some probably should have.

Jaden has proven to be able to hit that medium to long pass better this year, but hasn't been able to the past 2 games.
Doug has struggled to throw that ball all year more than the short stuff, but hasn't had that much opportunity to do so.

I think they are actually close. So in a way it's win/win.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
More likely to hit a guy in stride on schedule for a medium or deep level pass- Jaden
More likely to make the right read in a Read option- maybe Jaden but its close.

More like to break a run for a big gain- Doug
More likely to scramble for a big throw- Doug

I think both players have been pretty good at the short stuff this season.

Doug has protected the ball a bit better, and for whatever reason fewer pre snap penalties.
Also Jaden has had some bigger mistakes when it comes to errant throws or option decisions, Some led to turnovers, some probably should have.

Jaden has proven to be able to hit that medium to long pass better this year, but hasn't been able to the past 2 games.
Doug has struggled to throw that ball all year more than the short stuff, but hasn't had that much opportunity to do so.

I think they are actually close. So in a way it's win/win.
Doug rushed 91 times last yr for 261 yards... 2.9 yard average, and most of that was pre-SJSU injury.

Smaller sample size, but Maiava has 21 carries for 115 yards... 5.5 yard per carry average including the 24 yard scramble.. and he doesn't hesitate when scrambling...

I feel like a lot of what we like from Doug, we haven't seen since he got rattled and banged up vs SJSU. When he does chose to run, it's been right into the defense for the most part. He hesitates alot with that decision making, and the way he's been banged around and out each yr, I don't blame him. But a hesitant QB with mediocre passing is not going to help our running game.

Doug rushed 91 times last yr for 261 yards... 2.9 yard average, and most of that was pre-SJSU injury.

Smaller sample size, but Maiava has 21 carries for 115 yards... 5.5 yard per carry average including the 24 yard scramble.. and he doesn't hesitate when scrambling...

I feel like a lot of what we like from Doug, we haven't seen since he got rattled and banged up vs SJSU. When he does chose to run, it's been right into the defense for the most part. He hesitates alot with that decision making, and the way he's been banged around and out each yr, I don't blame him. But a hesitant QB with mediocre passing is not going to help our running game.
Well, probably the best run this year by a quarterback was probably Doug against Bryant. Considering our O line had a rough start to the year, honestly the offense to defense match up against Bryant is probably comparable to the past 2 games.

Also it is worth noting that sacks counts against rushing yards. Doug was sacked 22 times last year. Our O Line struggled mightily during Arroyo's tenure. And it was slow to get cooking this season too.

Doug is more prone to take a sack. He holds on to the ball more. He can and will scramble and make it out of it. Also less likely at trying to make a super tight throw, for better or worse.

Doug more likely to get sacked, Jaden more likely to throw a pick.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I remember listening to the broadcast with my Dad that game. We decided to turn the radio off right when I heard that they were lining up to run up the score. We didn't want to hear that crap.

Didn't know what happened until the RJ the next morning!

Reactions: butta1231
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT