ADVERTISEMENT

This weekend in the MWC

Boise State at Fresno State

**If Boise beats Fresno it would be really helpful to us.**
this statement has me so conflicted.

BSU plays Fresno, UNM, USU, and Air Force

If BSU beats Fresno, they likely finish 6-2 in conference.

If we win out except Air Force, we are 6-2 in conference and they will have the win over the next best opponent after AFA.

Fresno has BSU, SJSU, UNM, and SDSU. 4-0 and they are in. 3-1 and they are likely in.

Wyoming has CSU Friday night, UNLV, Hawaii, and Reno. If we are their only loss the rest of the way, they end up 5-3 in conference.

It's just tightly squeezed there at the top. I'm not saying we can't beat AFA, but im saying if we look at it as an L, we are gonna need help to get in position for a MWC title game. The best thing AFA can do for us is lose to us and beat Boise. Wyoming tripping up and Fresno tripping up helps us a lot. So hopefully that's how that goes!

SJSU is 3-2 in conference, plays Fresno, SDSU, and us. They will be close to the conversation, too.

Let's take care of business the rest of the way. Should be a good weekend of football in MWC though.

It could very easily come down to 3 or 4 teams tied for second with two losses.

Too early to talk tiebreakers but below are the tiebreaker rules.

It could very easily come down to 3 or 4 teams tied for second with two losses.

Too early to talk tiebreakers but below are the tiebreaker rules.

It gets confusing, especially since there are no longer divisions in the MW, so that definitely changes many of their rules.
Us having a better overall record, helps. UNLV and Boise ends up tying, then us beating Air Force, and Boise Losing to Air force is huge. Frenso has a leg up on us with a head to head win.

This could be a cluster by the end of the season. I kinda like it, lol. Gotta take care of biz.

The one way get screwed if we win out, Fresno wins out, and Air Force only loses to us. Air Force and Fresno would make the championship game in that scenario I think. Uness us winning out helps our computer rankings to jump Fresno? But even that is confusing. Fresno would have us head to head, but would have the "worse" loss. We would AFA head to head but they would have the best ranking. We would have the worst overall record.

My head hurts. Anyway it is fun to talk about since it is still possible and it is freaking November. Good times!

Reactions: LVRebel2000
It gets confusing, especially since there are no longer divisions in the MW, so that definitely changes many of their rules.
Us having a better overall record, helps. UNLV and Boise ends up tying, then us beating Air Force, and Boise Losing to Air force is huge. Frenso has a leg up on us with a head to head win.

This could be a cluster by the end of the season. I kinda like it, lol. Gotta take care of biz.

The one way get screwed if we win out, Fresno wins out, and Air Force only loses to us. Air Force and Fresno would make the championship game in that scenario I think. Uness us winning out helps our computer rankings to jump Fresno? But even that is confusing. Fresno would have us head to head, but would have the "worse" loss. We would AFA head to head but they would have the best ranking. We would have the worst overall record.

My head hurts. Anyway it is fun to talk about since it is still possible and it is freaking November. Good times!
I love the discussion too, but IMO, we won't stack up well against AF. I really hope I'm wrong, but every year, we get absolutely destroyed by them. Hopefully, by us having the go-go offense, our defense has gotten better at reading the triple option, but I'll believe it when I see it. Let's get this win on the road at UNM, and then see how things go.

Last edited:
Reactions: reagan21
I love the discussion too, but IMO, we won't stack up well against AF. I really hope I'm wrong, but every year, we get absolutely destroyed by them. Hopefully, by us having the go-go offense, our defense has gotten better at ready the triple option, but I'll believe it when I see it. Let's get this win on the road at UNM, and then see how things go.
I think our defense is better suited to face them. A good amount of team speed, big lineman that eat up blocks, and LBs that fill in the gaps. Run defense has gotten better week to week as well.

I know Air Force is a different type of run game, but one thing we have been is pretty disciplined and well coached. And it helps have 2 DC's ( HC and DC) to work on a gameplan. Again our personnel seems to match up for at least some potential there.

Air Force's Defense is what no one talks about. They are tough to score on.

Also in the weekly press conference, Coach O mentioned that they are somewhat expecting to get JW back on the practice field this week. That could be huge, especially with Baldwin likely out for a while.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT