ADVERTISEMENT

First portal defection of the spring

lobbybuu

Retired Number
Dec 29, 2022
Gary Quarles just entered the portal. Many in the program had a feeling this would happen. He was disposable after Vincent Davis committed.

Was at UNLV for less than 4 months

Ya think Davis and Greene look like they will play over him. Williams has a chance to contribute if he can stay healthy

Opportunity... my guess is he sees writing on wall with new staff and guys already in QB room... sounded like Maiava had alot of player support and Brumfield is the presumed day 1 starter, and then we just added another QB for 2024...
Any reasoning on why he's leaving? Is it NIL? Is it not a good fit in the system? Or the other QB's in the program and the ones being recruited?

Opportunity... my guess is he sees writing on wall with new staff and guys already in QB room... sounded like Maiava had alot of player support and Brumfield is the presumed day 1 starter, and then we just added another QB for 2024...
From other comments on this board, it sounded like Bailey was looking like he'd be the starter this year though, based on performance. Maybe that wasn't right, I don't know. Just curious as to his reasons.

Reactions: RebelScrub
He's a grad transfer and can play right away. If I had to guess, he wants a place that can showcase his talent and a place where he WIL BE the #1 guy from day 1.

I think he's a good player, but he's not someone I see as a current player. He's still living off of HS fumes. He was overrated coming out of Joe-juh with hella talented OL, WR, and TE. He is a good player, but I don't think he's irreplaceable by any stretch of any imagination. It thins out our depth chart, which sucks, but...eh. If it stings, it's like a pinch from a 5 year old type of sting.

He's a grad transfer and can play right away. If I had to guess, he wants a place that can showcase his talent and a place where he WIL BE the #1 guy from day 1.

I think he's a good player, but he's not someone I see as a current player. He's still living off of HS fumes. He was overrated coming out of Joe-juh with hella talented OL, WR, and TE. He is a good player, but I don't think he's irreplaceable by any stretch of any imagination. It thins out our depth chart, which sucks, but...eh. If it stings, it's like a pinch from a 5 year old type of sting.
The part that stings is that, regardless of him being overrated or not out of high school, he was a highly touted player that brought hope that we might finally have a solid QB that could actually throw the ball.

I’m hopeful that we keep the three QB’s still on the roster and that one of them has a breakout season.

I think this says more about Maiava being the future and or he felt the pressure of Coach Marion Landing that QB
Brumfield better stay on task and give it everything he has because Maiava is catching him fast. On the spring game discussion post, I mentioned that by seasons end, Maiava will be starting. That's how much he has improved and everyone on the team and here can now see how serious this smoke is.

Brumfield better stay on task and give it everything he has because Maiava is catching him fast. On the spring game discussion post, I mentioned that by seasons end, Maiava will be starting. That's how much he has improved and everyone on the team and here can now see how serious this smoke is.
Iron sharpening iron, is what we need around here!

From other comments on this board, it sounded like Bailey was looking like he'd be the starter this year though, based on performance. Maybe that wasn't right, I don't know. Just curious as to his reasons.
Sorry this is a bit late, but I just got word that Bailey was too far behind in terms of winning the locker room over in comparison to Doug even though he was talented and flashed that. I was told that he wasn't a cancer in the locker room but he didnt go out of his way to say hi or get to know the players. Maiava came into the locker room and immediately put effort into rallying the troops. I THINK that players play harder for someone that they really get along with and it just didnt click with Bailey and the team. Can't put too much blame on anyone, sometimes peoples personalities just dont vibe.
If Maiava plays this year, I hope it's because he won the job outright.

I would prefer it not be because of injury or by default (meaning team/Doug are struggling).
I agree. I think the race will be close and this is just MY PREDICTION now that I've had more time to think about it; Maiava will get some PT vs Bryant and Michigan and from then on it'll be him. I could very well be wrong but this is how I see it playing out.

If Doug can separate himself and go crazy, I will gladly be wrong.

He should have been the unquestioned starter based on talent and pedigree. Again, good enough to start for a powerhouse SEC but not good enough to start at mighty UNLV. Ridiculous of the coaches to think Brum is the answer. Wow.

Sorry this is a bit late, but I just got word that Bailey was too far behind in terms of winning the locker room over in comparison to Doug even though he was talented and flashed that. I was told that he wasn't a cancer in the locker room but he didnt go out of his way to say hi or get to know the players. Maiava came into the locker room and immediately put effort into rallying the troops. I THINK that players play harder for someone that they really get along with and it just didnt click with Bailey and the team. Can't put too much blame on anyone, sometimes peoples personalities just dont vibe.

I agree. I think the race will be close and this is just MY PREDICTION now that I've had more time to think about it; Maiava will get some PT vs Bryant and Michigan and from then on it'll be him. I could very well be wrong but this is how I see it playing out.

If Doug can separate himself and go crazy, I will gladly be wrong.

There's also the freshman coming in the fall, but he'll be way behind. Can't see him seeing the field or competing for the job, at least this year.

There's also the freshman coming in the fall, but he'll be way behind. Can't see him seeing the field or competing for the job, at least this year.
Yeah Bo won't see time this upcoming season. I think his situation is very up in the air now.

Say Karson Gordon stays committed, I think he jumps over Bo immediately. Maiava winning the job would block his path too because they are too close in classes. Now say Brumfield retains the job and Maiava leaves, Bo has a clearer path. Add in the fact that Friel looks like he won't play meaningful snaps here anymore and there's another path to getting more reps here.

In todays world, things change daily and that can be very frustrating for all parties involved.

Yeah Bo won't see time this upcoming season. I think his situation is very up in the air now.

Say Karson Gordon stays committed, I think he jumps over Bo immediately. Maiava winning the job would block his path too because they are too close in classes. Now say Brumfield retains the job and Maiava leaves, Bo has a clearer path. Add in the fact that Friel looks like he won't play meaningful snaps here anymore and there's another path to getting more reps here.

In todays world, things change daily and that can be very frustrating for all parties involved.

My head spins with all the possibilities..

🙂

Hard to camouflage the light that Maiava exude. He is the most durable and intelligent QB that we have since he step on campus.
I’ve always been high on the prospects of Maiava but I’m curious where you are deriving this analysis from? Have you seen him play and interact with the team from Florida?

Reactions: LVRebel2000
After watching several practices I thought Friehl would be the 1’st to go. Somewhat surprised by HB leaving as he was by far our best passer. Odom and Marion can’t be starstruck by Doug as Sanchez was with Armani and are aware of just how fragile he is. They can’t look at his track record and figure he will last more than 3-4 games and be real confident moving to an untested Freshman.
I would be surprised if Marion isn’t bringing in a QB that he has ties with from a previous stop.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
After watching several practices I thought Friehl would be the 1’st to go. Somewhat surprised by HB leaving as he was by far our best passer. Odom and Marion can’t be starstruck by Doug as Sanchez was with Armani and are aware of just how fragile he is. They can’t look at his track record and figure he will last more than 3-4 games and be real confident moving to an untested Freshman.
I would be surprised if Marion isn’t bringing in a QB that he has ties with from a previous stop.
I would be happy with that.

2. Marion might not even be here after the upcoming season so I can see why any qb would be hestitant to transfer here.
1) Unless he can grab a senior or grad transfer
or
2) If UNLV does turn it around maybe Odom gets poached and Marion is our next head coach.

1. There is a QB he wants to bring to UNLV but he's in a battle right now for a starting position at another school.
2. Marion might not even be here after the upcoming season so I can see why any qb would be hestitant to transfer here.
Lobbybuu, I have heard you say this before about Marion. My question is, does his scheme leave with him or are there others currently at UNLV who can run this go go offense? This is important because if his scheme is his and he leaves like you say, what happens to our team that was built to run this style of offense if the creator is gone? I hope after Petrino and now possibly Marion, that Odom has thought about this.

Thoughts?

Lobbybuu, I have heard you say this before about Marion. My question is, does his scheme leave with him or are there others currently at UNLV who can run this go go offense? This is important because if his scheme is his and he leaves like you say, what happens to our team that was built to run this style of offense if the creator is gone? I hope after Petrino and now possibly Marion, that Odom has thought about this.

Thoughts?
I'm with you on this concern. Are we going to change offensive philosophies every year, if we have to keep bringing in new coordinators? Or is this going to be the system that Odom is going to try to stick with whether Marion is here or not?

It's hard to recruit players to a system, and then change the system too often. No consistency or continuity is tough on the team.

Reactions: rebel5280
I'm fine with losing any coach. That almost certainly means we went to a bowl and that is almost unheard of here. It's like an average school going to a National Championship game.

Reactions: RRebel

Thoughts?
I think scheme leaves with him but im sure a similar offense will be ran. I think we need to employ an offense that is exciting and allows players to get in space and create.
1. Its fun to play in the system so it'll attract players
2. For smaller teams that dont have overwhelming talent, its important to find an offense that allows for plays to be made and we should recruit players that fit this scheme

I'm sure Odom has thought about the possibility of Marion leaving after one season considering his track record. But who knows, maybe Marion stays or Odom is offered a job. I highly doubt Odom leaves after one year; to me, it seems like hes here for the long run but we all know what one call can do

I think scheme leaves with him but im sure a similar offense will be ran. I think we need to employ an offense that is exciting and allows players to get in space and create.
1. Its fun to play in the system so it'll attract players
2. For smaller teams that dont have overwhelming talent, its important to find an offense that allows for plays to be made and we should recruit players that fit this scheme

I'm sure Odom has thought about the possibility of Marion leaving after one season considering his track record. But who knows, maybe Marion stays or Odom is offered a job. I highly doubt Odom leaves after one year; to me, it seems like hes here for the long run but we all know what one call can do
Exactly. If one of the big boys want to pony up and pay him to go, he'll go. The money that the SEC schools (and others) have is crazy. If he's their guy, they'll get him.

Hopefully that's not the case, at least for a few years when he gets this team rolling.

No way Odom leaves after one year. He does have a decent resume before this job, but it usually takes some sustained success for a coach to leave.
I can see Marion leaving though. This year is finally his chance to show his offense at FBS G5 level. I think his HC's at previous stops have been hesitant to go full go-go so far. He has his chance this year. We are somewhat his final exam.

No way Odom leaves after one year. He does have a decent resume before this job, but it usually takes some sustained success for a coach to leave.
I can see Marion leaving though. This year is finally his chance to show his offense at FBS G5 level. I think his HC's at previous stops have been hesitant to go full go-go so far. He has his chance this year. We are somewhat his final exam.
So by that rational, it would be a bit dependent on how we do, right? If we don't improve much over last season, would that be enough for a school to want to take the risk on him as a HC? It may, but I'm just thinking out loud.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Even if we win the MW, I think most schools would hesitate to pull that trigger.

He is more established. Had a decent, but not great career at Mizzou. SO I could see a big name school hiring him without needing to see him prove it over time first.

But outside BCS busting and/or a NY6 bowl. I think teams will wait to see more sustain success.

Look at other MW coaches that have been poached. How often does it happen after one year?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT