ADVERTISEMENT

First Game

Pistol Pete 1

Retired Number
Sep 22, 2008
The competition took a big step up from the exhibition game and will take another big step up on Saturday. I really like the fact that we will essentially have a 7 man rotation and Otz has gone to that right off the bat. No messing around with guys that aren’t gonna see the floor just to let them get some minutes to reward them for being good practice guys and the opportunities to play them when we have 20-30 point leads will be few and far between this year.

Being an old gym rat I enjoy getting into the arena when the doors open to watch the shoot around. Jonah is unbelievable, rarely misses a 3 in shoot around. Amauri still has a funky shot that either goes in or misses badly, Long misses at a good clip as well.

The guy that caught my eye was Hamilton, his shot looks much better this year and he was really stroking it in the shoot around. I don’t think he made a 3 in the game and only took 1 that I remember in the game but he became much more assertive on offense in the 2’nd half taking it to the hole with authority. I think the 3 will start to fall with him.

Some weaknesses I saw were that we need to shore up our help defense as there were multiple times their guards had a free lane to the hoop, Dembele is a total liability on defense and offense & the short rotation could hurt us on the road when playing at altitude. (What was Tark’s famous quote about playing at altitude?)

What I loved was the spread offense which opens up the lane for everyone & especially Amauri to drive and the continual movement we saw last night and the full court pressure. Not sure if we got any turnovers on the press but it did take 8-10 seconds off their shot clock every possession and they never beat us for an easy bucket.

Tillman is going to be more than an adequate replacement for Ntambwe and it’s easy to see why he wanted to leave after talking with Otz cause he liked to shoot was mid range jumpers.

Win lose or draw this team will be a lot more fun to watch than the last 3 years and will probably exceed our expectations more often than have us walking out of the T & M wondering why we continue to pony up our hard earned money for a shit show!

Did I forget to mention that Diong is for real?

Last edited:
“We are playing indoors, altitude is only outdoors “ said the Shark.. He was a classic!

Loved: Diong’s game.. Hardy...Antonio.. Hamilton...Ot’s demeanor on the bench.

I believe Tillman is better than I think he looked. I believe Dembele is better than he looked. I saw Long pass up a few threes.

I’m hoping we let it fly against K St and give our program a needed early season signature win. Crowd needs to grow but it was nice being at the Mack again. ( and leaving happy)

Thanks for the write up! Was listening in the car so didn't get a chance to watch. Maybe Stadium has it on replay? Although I still might not have time to watch.

Main thing I got listening was Diong played well. Nice seeing a guy coming in and developing over the years. Good double-double for him to start the season.

Looking at box score, nice spread on points. Not hero ball depending on 1 or 2 guys. See how things develop, next several games will be more realistic test.

Reactions: JTthe2nd
We finally look like a competent basketball team. This team knows how to move around, create space, pass the ball, and find a good shot. Amazing. No more dribbling around the three-point line to chuck up a wild shot.

I think Mitrou-Long surprised me the most. He seems like a craftier, more wily version of Robotham and maybe a more vocal leader too. Nice start to the season and hope to see a hard fought game Saturday.

The biggest difference I saw was that at no time did I ever feel like the game was in jeopardy. Sure there were some lapses on defense and a couple scoring droughts, but this team seemed to be in control of the game from beginning to end and they stuck to playing their game and didn't panic. Good job coach, looking forward to seeing how this team stacks up to even better competition on Saturday.

The biggest difference I saw was that at no time did I ever feel like the game was in jeopardy. Sure there were some lapses on defense and a couple scoring droughts, but this team seemed to be in control of the game from beginning to end and they stuck to playing their game and didn't panic. Good job coach, looking forward to seeing how this team stacks up to even better competition on Saturday.
I expected a lot more general confusion. There was some but it wasn’t too bad. I thought they pretty much knew what they were trying to accomplish when they were on the floor. Some miscommunication, not nearly as much as I expected.

Since it was my first real look at the team I found the whole experience way more enjoyable than I expected. Can't wait to see the boys live this Sat against K-State at the Mack I have been away too long...

Reactions: bcvegaspt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT