ADVERTISEMENT

Congratulations to Patrick McCaw and Stephen Zimmerman

Welp, its a good thing you don't have to agree with it. I will never understand why people care so much about what others choose to do with their own lives. His decision doesn't effect you, me, or anyone else here. Sheesh, give the kid a break.

I understand what your saying. However its a completely different story when your a first round pick and you have 3 years guaranteed at over a million a year. Don't know the specifics of Zimmerman's contract but as a 2nd rd pick I cant imagine the kid would be guaranteed much after this season if he had a career ending injury. And then he made what? A few hundred thousand? A college degree is worth more than that in the long run.

I'm sorry I will never agree with Stevens decision to leave when he did after the way he played and it was clear to everyone he wasn't going to be a 1st rd pick. Leaving for money is a poor argument in this case because he could have moved into the first round next year and would make up for any money he didn't make this season.
Sometimes a college degree isn't at all important to people. It is to me. But you made a strong assumption right there - a college degree is worth more... not always. Plenty of college degrees working for 25k per year. And if it isn't a priority anyway, what's it matter. Fact of the matter is the NBA essentially forces kids to go to college whether they want it or not.

You don't have to agree or not. It doesn't matter either. It's his decision, he made the right one for himself whether we agree or not.

He didn't tell me what I should do and it wouldn't matter if he did.

Welp, its a good thing you don't have to agree with it. I will never understand why people care so much about what others choose to do with their own lives. His decision doesn't effect you, me, or anyone else here. Sheesh, give the kid a break.
If you don't like opinions then you probably shouldn't be on a message board man. And how does it not effect us as Rebel Fans??? We could have been a lot better team with him obviously!! Also we could have had another first round pick for recruits to see. Like I said if Steven was a first round pick this a completely different story. But with the way things played out, both sides would have gained with Steven coming back to school.

Sometimes a college degree isn't at all important to people. It is to me. But you made a strong assumption right there - a college degree is worth more... not always. Plenty of college degrees working for 25k per year. And if it isn't a priority anyway, what's it matter. Fact of the matter is the NBA essentially forces kids to go to college whether they want it or not.

You don't have to agree or not. It doesn't matter either. It's his decision, he made the right on for himself whether we agree or not.

He didn't tell me what I should do and it wouldn't matter if he did.
The college degree didn't have much to do with my point. The main point was Steven is guaranteed basically nothing beyond this year and by coming back he could have guaranteed himself a lot and maybe in the process leave a little bit of a legacy at his hometown school. Yes I get it my opinion has zero to do with Stevens life and I don't have to agree with him but this is a message board for opinions on the Rebels and that's all I'm giving.

At the same time I questioned Steven declaring for the draft, I also questioned Patty. And I will eat my crow on that one now because the guy is proving he belongs. He's showing he made the right choice. Steven has played a total of like 10 garbage minutes in 2 games and scored 1 basket. He's proving he doesn't belong yet, he still belongs in college.

Reactions: ThailandReb
I never said I didn't appreciate your opinion, nor have a problem with the fact that you have one. I simply dissagree with it. Thank you for looking out though.

Zimm leaving effected the team of a sport that means absolutely nothing in the larger scheme of life. If they sucked for the rest of time, I would still be a fan, that's what a fan is. If I sat around dwelling on every student athelete that left when We Fans thought they shouldn't, I realistically would have no life. I learned a long time ago that I have no idea of others plight in life. If he wanted to leave, so be it. If he stayed, so be it. Not understanding why he left is fine. believeing that you actually have to agree with it is a little narcissistic.

Why are you not addressing TarkIsGod, he said almost exactly the same thing I said.

I would appreciate it if you could refrain from dragging me into your squabble. After seeing that DVBballMom is here, I wish I hadn’t critiqued her son at all.

I view Rebel-Net as a site where fans of UNLV can come to express their largely uninformed (with a few notable exceptions, Ernie, Joe...you know who you are) opinions about players, coaches and the athletic department in general. When an actual family member enters the equation, it becomes much more personal.

What I’m trying to say, somewhat inelegantly, is that my speculation really shouldn’t be taken too seriously. I’ve never played (not even at school-level), coached or covered basketball in any professional capacity. So, I’m just an avid fan, spouting off about something for which I’m spectacularly unsuited.

Had it occurred to me that Steven’s mom was monitoring this site, I’d have been much less arrogant than to presume I know anything about her son’s prospects. I suppose it’s probably equally true that the players check-up on their fan-site as well. I do recall thinking about that when some of the comments here regarding “Chopper” Jones” and to a lesser extent Carlos Lopez were around. Some of the opinions expressed were just brutal. It must have been extremely hurtful if they read them. I hope they chose to ignore us.

I think it would do us good to remember, from time to time, that we’re talking about actual people, who have feelings, just like the rest of us. And if there are any of those people reading this site, please understand that even if some harsh things may be said, once you don the Scarlet & Gray, you become a Runnin’ Rebel for life. And that means that we, your loyal fans, will root for you to succeed, wherever life takes you.

images

Reactions: 76Rebel Man
The college degree didn't have much to do with my point. The main point was Steven is guaranteed basically nothing beyond this year and by coming back he could have guaranteed himself a lot and maybe in the process leave a little bit of a legacy at his hometown school. Yes I get it my opinion has zero to do with Stevens life and I don't have to agree with him but this is a message board for opinions on the Rebels and that's all I'm giving.

At the same time I questioned Steven declaring for the draft, I also questioned Patty. And I will eat my crow on that one now because the guy is proving he belongs. He's showing he made the right choice. Steven has played a total of like 10 garbage minutes in 2 games and scored 1 basket. He's proving he doesn't belong yet, he still belongs in college.
Legacy? It didn't have an impact on his decision, but when he decided to leave, UNLV was at high noon in a dumpster fire. Coming back might have guaranteed more, but it wasn't guaranteed and it came with a risk, a high risk - he's suffered injuries before. So now he's getting paid a sum any of us would love to have and he's going to have to parlay it into more. Had he stayed, he's playing for - let's face it, not much - and he's trying to parlay it into more.

When I was 18, my attitude would have been stay in school, the money will be there, strengthen your position. I've softened on that and now I'm closer to take the money when you can.

Listen, I'm not trying to argue just to argue. I think nearly all players would benefit more, get the greatest yield, from two years instead of one. But the makeup of the draft matters too. Plus, there are the scouts, the teams, agents, their feedback and recommendations. We aren't behind those doors.

Reactions: s89103
Last time I checked, UNLV wasn't going anywhere. Use the millions of dollars to pay a few years tuition. Or take a student loan.

Haters gonna hate.

Im just glad we had Big Zimm for the time we had him. Would have loved to have had him under different circumstances (*cough* better coach *cough*)...

i think the biggest issue with not staying is that i don't see how it doesn't affect his confidence. he didn't exactly crush the opposition while here and it's obviously worse now.

he could have benefited a lot had he stayed and played another year.

hope he pulls through and becomes a 12 year player.

i think the biggest issue with not staying is that i don't see how it doesn't affect his confidence. he didn't exactly crush the opposition while here and it's obviously worse now.

he could have benefited a lot had he stayed and played another year.

hope he pulls through and becomes a 12 year player.
I don't think Stephen was ever the type to crush the opposition. Look at his prep career. Numbers wise, he's always been good, but not dominant. His overall value wasn't in raw numbers - feel for game, skill set, understanding of game, versatility, etc, is where Stephen's value was.

Best bet for Zimmerman imo would be for Coach Vogel and co. To take a liking to him and put him under their wing. All the tools are their (Length, decent midrange, good b ball IQ) but can he fulfill his potential? I hope so.

If Big Zimm can become a veteran in the league that's a huge W!

I don't blame him for leaving at all. Last year the season was a disaster. He didn't even come close to making the NCAA Tournament. Staying for another year of that (or possibly even worse) is something a lot of people would pass up if they had a shot at the NBA.

Zimmerman picked UNLV over several top schools that all wanted him and we knew at the time he was likely to stay only a year. Lets not forget that.

Thompson was out with an injury so McCaw started and played 35 minutes in the loss to Denver, garnering 19 points on 8 - 13 from the field.

Thompson was out with an injury so McCaw started and played 35 minutes in the loss to Denver, garnering 19 points on 8 - 13 from the field.
The kid's going to have a long and prosperous career. He'll do UNLV proud.

I don't envision his path ending at Golden State. The Warriors are stacked for years to come. But Patrick will make attractive trade-bait for a team in need of a sharpshooting three guard-forward who can give them lock-down defense.

I loved him from the moment he first donned the Scarlet & Gray. Wish we could have squeezed another year out of him, but, unlike several of his team mates, McCaw was obviously ready to take the next step.
money-sack-smiley-emoticon.png

Go Rebels!

Reactions: Rebel Chi-girl
I was hoping that Kris Clyburn was going to be the next McCaw - started strong then faded hard. I'm still hoping he recaptures that magic.

Shoot I could say that about any of the Rebels right now...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT