ADVERTISEMENT

Arizona calls special Board of Regents meeting for 8/1/2023.

Not suprised, big 12, goes to 14, helps hoops, but football is blah, does not move the needle, there's reason gonzaga not going to big 12, no football that simple. If UNLV, Aztecs, SMU and not sure how well CSU is on academics makes sense to me to PAC, I be happy, and in 5 yrs or so new tv contracts come UNLV good in football and hoops they could move on to bigger and better things, keep academics growing!

Athlon is reporting Oregon, Washington, Clemson and Florida St could join the Big10 this week?
I have no inside knowledge. However, I wonder if the Big 10 would take Stanford over Oregon. As a research institution, Oregon is a little stronger than UNLV, but weaker than Utah and much weaker than Stanford.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I have no inside knowledge. However, I wonder if the Big 10 would take Stanford over Oregon. As a research institution, Oregon is a little stronger than UNLV, but weaker than Utah and much weaker than Stanford.

I’d be surprised if they did, I think UO and UW are 1&2 in whichever order of the available PAC schools but i also think there is a good chance Stanford joins them at some point. Obviously at least 2 to get 4 west coast schools and if it comes to fruition with Clemson and FSU that could hurt another West Coast schools chances this year.

I’m not sure the BIG cares as much as they once did about academics vs keeping up with the SEC and changing CFB landscape.

Well, if the Pac loses Oregon, WA, AZ, and ASU I see a MWC/Pac# Merger. There is no way in hell the Pac12 can survive this. Athlon also had an article where it talks about the Pac12 paying some of the Aztecs exit fee just to get them in for 2024. However, losing four more teams there is no way the Pac12 is paying for anyone's exit fee. The Pac is going to die.

Stay tuned. Info is already leaking. Heavy streaming deal as we suspected. Money in the low $20's. Apple+ may be the big player.

My favorite teams are USC and UCLA so I won't be subscribing to watch what is left of the pac12. Tough decisions for some schools to make. Do you stay or do you go. I think some leave because regardless of the money you have to favor a Linear TV package like the Big12 has for exposure.

Stay tuned. Info is already leaking. Heavy streaming deal as we suspected. Money in the low $20's. Apple+ may be the big player.

My favorite teams are USC and UCLA so I won't be subscribing to watch what is left of the pac12. Tough decisions for some schools to make. Do you stay or do you go. I think some leave because regardless of the money you have to favor a Linear TV package like the Big12 has for exposure.
Funny, USC and UCLA not being in the Pac 12 doesn't deter my interest. They tend to be favoritized (probably due to population then due to success). I'm an underdog type, so them leaving spreads the wealth to teams most don't care about.

Same true of the TV deal. I'm already an AppleTV+ subscriber, so either I'll already get whatever they provide, or it will be a small additional fee like how MLS is being handled.

That said, average fan ain't gonna find em. And it will be extremely difficult to make new fans that aren't already somehow involved in either the school, conference, or network.

The Pac 12 network was unavailable on DirectTv, Youtube TV and I'm sure others. Compared to what they had before, this might actually be an upgrade for those that want to see Pac ganes

Reactions: dcut03
Funny, USC and UCLA not being in the Pac 12 doesn't deter my interest. They tend to be favoritized (probably due to population then due to success). I'm an underdog type, so them leaving spreads the wealth to teams most don't care about.

Same true of the TV deal. I'm already an AppleTV+ subscriber, so either I'll already get whatever they provide, or it will be a small additional fee like how MLS is being handled.

That said, average fan ain't gonna find em. And it will be extremely difficult to make new fans that aren't already somehow involved in either the school, conference, or network.
I grew up watching USC football and UCLA basketball. Not due to population but more of a fan of those two sports for which I've had the privilege to watch live and seen their success. That being said I'm a solid Rebel fan and always will be. I don't care for the two AZ schools. OR, UT and WA have nothing for me. I loved watching Wazzu with the Pirate running that ship but that run is over.

And, you are right. Average fans won't find them. That hurts because kids won't get a chance to follow some of those teams unless their parents subscribe. For me it's that I already have too many subscriptions. I had apple+ for one week free subscription when they offered that with my Verizon service but at the time they had absolutely nothing worthwhile to watch. I actually cancelled the subscription after two days.

PAC 12 is at a disadvantage because of time zones already. The past few years it has been really tough to watch Pac 12 games. Living in Houston, there were only 1 or 2 bars in town that had some sort of access the few times the Rebs were on that channel. Fewer and fewer network channels are being added to cable packages, especially without an upcharge. The MW partnerships have been much more fan friendly in terms of accessibility these past years. Average fans haven't been able to easily watch many of their games already.

Being put on a relatively easy to obtain streaming service isn't a bad move. But they absolutely need to get some sort of partnership with ESPN, CBS, or Fox to get some big games on an accessible channel. If everything is exclusive to an app that will hurt viewership, and ultimately revenue potential.

Ok! The Pac12 meeting is over and they left without voting on the new media deal. Hopefully, we hear more soon but, it seems like they are keeping this all quiet. We may learn more after this afternoons AZ meeting. If they vote with their feet that will tell us all we need to know.

Ok! The Pac12 meeting is over and they left without voting on the new media deal. Hopefully, we hear more soon but, it seems like they are keeping this all quiet. We may learn more after this afternoons AZ meeting. If they vote with their feet that will tell us all we need to know.
From some of the twitter guys, it sounds like the media deal presented wasn't worth voting on. Others say they left feeling optimistic. But yeah, I'd guess it won't take too long to find out. If AZ jumps, it's a good indication that the PAC media meeting didn't go well. If they hold for a bit, maybe there's a chance of something good coming from it, but who knows.

Reactions: Meister_Rebel
From some of the twitter guys, it sounds like the media deal presented wasn't worth voting on. Others say they left feeling optimistic. But yeah, I'd guess it won't take too long to find out. If AZ jumps, it's a good indication that the PAC media meeting didn't go well. If they hold for a bit, maybe there's a chance of something good coming from it, but who knows.
I was just thinking about those feeling optimistic. I'm sure it's the usual school like Washington State who will be pushing for everyone to stick together. lol.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Don't be surprised if 3 schools decide to jump to the Big 12 ASAP!!

If it's a heavy streaming option, what happens to the Pac 12 network? Is that just going to go away? Otherwise, couldn't they keep that and still televise games? If not, my next question is how many people were subscribed to the Pac 12 network? Because logically, most of those would probably subscribe to this new streaming option I'd think.

There's no way that this was going to work.

The thing is that the Big12 +31 million dollars is a sure thing. Stability is a sure thing. Exposure a sure thing. What the Pac12 presented today is based on less money with the potential for "escalators" made from dreams and wishes. I would be shocked if AZ eventually decides to remain in the Pac12. I think they would be out of their mind to do it.

Reactions: 220reb
If it's a heavy streaming option, what happens to the Pac 12 network? Is that just going to go away? Otherwise, couldn't they keep that and still televise games? If not, my next question is how many people were subscribed to the Pac 12 network? Because logically, most of those would probably subscribe to this new streaming option I'd think.
When Apple was mentioned months ago their plan was to utilize the Pac12 Network's infrastructure as they aren't currently equipped for it.

When Apple was mentioned months ago their plan was to utilize the Pac12 Network's infrastructure as they aren't currently equipped for it.
I thought I remembered hearing that there was a possible partnership between Apple and Disney (ESPN), but haven't seen much on that recently. Maybe that option went away.

I thought I remembered hearing that there was a possible partnership between Apple and Disney (ESPN), but haven't seen much on that recently. Maybe that option went away.
I believe you were right. But, since then ESPN walked away from any negotiations and then they started laying off personnel. Apple if they get all rights could sell some games. If anyone is still interested.

I believe you were right. But, since then ESPN walked away from any negotiations and then they started laying off personnel. Apple if they get all rights could sell some games. If anyone is still interested.
I think that was the reason it was going to work out though. ESPN (Disney) struggling financially, but they have the manpower and logistics. Apple has the money but lacks the manpower and logistics. Maybe they would still team up somehow, but IDK

Reactions: j. spilotro
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT