ADVERTISEMENT

Cannon Game: UNR (-13) @ UNLV

What color will the cannon be on Sunday?

• RED

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • blue

Votes: 15 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I seriously don’t see any improvements from the Sanchez to the Arroyo era. Same QB inefficiency and they are just more faster than us on defense.

you posted this 1 and 1/2 games into the Arriya era, I don’t know If this coach is any better than the last but I sure as hell won’t compare him after 6 quarters. Just stupid.
It’s almost a full 2 games and Reno’s offense is eating up our defense. But I get you let’s wait 5 games. Game 1 and 2 seems to be similar defense is inept.

What preseason stuff? The whole conference had the same time to practice before the season started.
If you came in with same staff the only ones that wouldn’t know the playbook and all that stuff would be true freshmen. A whole new staff and plays we are behind many teams in being acquainted with everything.

Defense absolutely horrendous. Offense I liked the play calling for the most part. I didn't like the loss but I did see things I liked and gives me some hope.

Reactions: 220reb and tomrut
So should we move on to it's basketball Season now or should we give it another week to see if the D kicks in? Tough sledding with 2 freshman corners and no Hester at MLB.
Hey Bull. Whatever happened with Alex Perry. Wasn't he some good local coming home from the AF Academy that was gonna improve us?

If you came in with same staff the only ones that wouldn’t know the playbook and all that stuff would be true freshmen. A whole new staff and plays we are behind many teams in being acquainted with everything.
Every team is dealing with similar shit. But when you toss in a new staff, talk about really amplifying the issues. Besides a new stadium, which isn’t going to help this season, Arroyo stepped into the lousiest possible situation.

Didn't get to finish watching the game until this morning--EST makes things tricky.

The Good:

* Gilliam looked reliable and solid, he still needs some work on touch, leading, and the long ball--but it looks like he has the arm strength to make all the throws in this offense, and he gets the read option right at least half the time which is better than I"m used to at UNLV.

* Noah Bean had some really nice route running and reliable hands. Might be the best I've seen a TE look since Greg Estandia--of course, not a lot of coaches since JRob utilized the TE very much.

* I liked the aggressive playcalling on 4th down. I'd rather lose by 18 swinging for the KO, than play it safe and lose by 14.

The Bad:

* Early down playcalling was a little disjointed and predictable, which put us into positions where we were vulnerable against the blitz. I also don't think we threw the ball more than 20 yards down field but once or twice. If you don't take the top off a defense, it lets them cheat and gamble.

* The offensive line looked slow, seemed to fail to read run blocking priorities, and consistently misread pressures/blitz packages (though UNR did run some zone blitz and overload concepts which can be tricky). Wolfpack linebackers weren't getting Rebel hog hands on them and they were flying around on screens and draws making plays. If Williams didn't have such nice cutback vision, he would have ran for 40 yards instead of nearly 100. Way too many plays of OL looking around for someone to block as the back or receiver is being tackled.

* WR blocking was just atrocious. I counted at least 3-4 times where the WR just refused to put a hat on anyone, or even get in the way a little to spring someone.

* Depth and quality at offensive skill positions seems suspect. Other than Tyleek and WIlliams, I have a hard time finding a consistent chunk play producing skill player.

The Ugly:

* Good god that defense. UNR's OLine manhandled us all night, they consistently played mean and were getting to the second level with impunity. The sad thing is our DL was our best unit all night. Linebackers seemed to not be able to read anything. I don't know what their key is, but the number of times they were getting into their drops on a draw is alarming, especially when you combine it with how hard they bit on play action. Whatever their film room work showed them they definitely picked the wrong key on Run/Pass ID. I can't really find anything positive about the DBs at all. They lacked speed and technique to play bump or off-man. Safeties were literally nowhere to be found--they consistently were jumping routes instead of maintaining good discipline and limiting the big play.

* Tackling. I thought that Sanchez and Hauck teams were bad tacklers, but that was just atrocious last night. I saw guys trying to lay wood instead of wrap up. I saw multiple occasions where DBs instead of putting their hat into the RB or WR were backpedaling like it was a find the ball drill....giving up yards and using inconvenience to force guys out. Seriously, they looked like Andy Hannan out there trying to defend someone with more lateral quickness than a love seat.

Honestly, UNR really beat the crap out of us in every aspect of that game, but especially in the trenches. Their OL really impressed with the bad intentions and aggression they played with. They were looking to maul people and getting to the second level all night. I thought we were a 2-3 win team this year in the conference, but I'm starting to think that 2 might be asking for too much.

So should we move on to it's basketball Season now or should we give it another week to see if the D kicks in? Tough sledding with 2 freshman corners and no Hester at MLB.
Hey Bull. Whatever happened with Alex Perry. Wasn't he some good local coming home from the AF Academy that was gonna improve us?
Fairly certain Perry has opted out this season. I also think he came over from ASU

It’s almost a full 2 games and Reno’s offense is eating up our defense. But I get you let’s wait 5 games. Game 1 and 2 seems to be similar defense is inept.
An experienced offense with all the pieces and staff returning vs an already bad defense under a brand new staff with 3 weeks of an off-season and zero spring ball.

If UNLV manage one win, I would be shocked.
Fresno
CSU
Wyoming

I see 3 reasonably accessible wins. I think the longer we go into the season, the better off the team will be. All dependant of course on player availability

Reactions: tomrut
If UNLV manage one win, I would be shocked.

If we DON’T win at least a single game this year I’ll be shocked. UNR is actually pretty good this year. I wouldn’t be surprised if they go 7-1 or 6-2 this season. Here’s the thing though 6 of the 12 teams in the MWC have new head coaches and are dealing with the same issues we have. If we’re the only winless team in this crap conference I’d be nervous about the CMA hire.

Last edited:
Random thoughts

Has anybody noticed that San Jose State 2-0. They only won 2 games last year. We have a tough schedule ahead and I just don't see how we can get a win . Hopefully we will continue to improve on offense. We are off to a great start in recruiting. Competing with Boise State for the top spot in the conference.

Fresno
CSU
Wyoming

I see 3 reasonably accessible wins. I think the longer we go into the season, the better off the team will be. All dependant of course on player availability
Next week game maybe our only chance for a win. CSU is still struggling with covid. WYO has a good offense and a sound defense. They took UNR to OT last week.

We were smaller at almost every position. Younger and smaller but every player played hard. Even my wife enjoyed the game (UW fan) because they kept trying. I saw the U of O offense in embryo. Defense is a matter of time in terms of scheme, size, and most definitely linebacker. Looking down the road after years of coaching, I see a competitive D1 program in two years. I've seen really bad UW teams, really poor WSU teams win two years after their freshmen years and go bowling.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT