ADVERTISEMENT

Cannon Game: UNR (-13) @ UNLV

RebNReno

NBA Draft Pick
Oct 17, 2015
Opening line has UNR as almost a two TD favorite on the road. The last time UNLV won this game at Sam Boyd JRob was the coach. After the Hawaii collapse it’s hard to find much to make me feel like the Rebels have any chance. The cannon likely stays blue for another year.

This game should decide Coach Sanchez future.

It probably won't. But it should.

I know everybody hates Sam Boyd.

I know it's the equivalent of the Bataan death march away from campus. I know it has unpaved parking. But Star Nursery field is a great tailgating spot.

Personally I have a lot of great memories of Sam Boyd. Unfortunately most revolve around tailgating and hanging out with friends vs football, but memories all the same.

I'll never quit on the program. I'll get season tickets again next year regardless of the outcome of this game.

But if there was ever anything that would make me seriously contemplate taking a year off.....

It would be Sanchez losing to Reno this weekend in what will be the last game played there in this rivalry...And keeping his job...

Opening line has UNR as almost a two TD favorite on the road. The last time UNLV won this game at Sam Boyd JRob was the coach. After the Hawaii collapse it’s hard to find much to make me feel like the Rebels have any chance. The cannon likely stays blue for another year.

Another decade.....

Sanchez is going to start Armani against Reno. Even after that debacle in Hawaii. Makes me wonder what kind of drugs he is on. He cannot see he and His Armani love affair cost us the game? Hate to say it but I’m predicting about 48-17 Reno type game. All the good things he has done do not overcome stupidity. I will be praying he gets fired Sunday and we hire a coach who realizes that we need a passing team in Las Vegas. It’s just who we are. From Carano ~ Cunningham~ King~ and so on. Become a team who throws and sprinkle in a few surprising runs. That would make us more exciting to watch... equalling more fans. Tony Tony Tony. Bench Armani if you want a chance to win. Not happening I know. Sad.....

This game should decide Coach Sanchez future.

It probably won't. But it should.

I know everybody hates Sam Boyd.

I know it's the equivalent of the Bataan death march away from campus. I know it has unpaved parking. But Star Nursery field is a great tailgating spot.

Personally I have a lot of great memories of Sam Boyd. Unfortunately most revolve around tailgating and hanging out with friends vs football, but memories all the same.

I'll never quit on the program. I'll get season tickets again next year regardless of the outcome of this game.

But if there was ever anything that would make me seriously contemplate taking a year off.....

It would be Sanchez losing to Reno this weekend in what will be the last game played there in this rivalry...And keeping his job...
Because it’s illogical on every single front, I think I’m going to play Rebels money line for shits and giggles. Maybe Rebels ML and over and we end the season on a WTF note like the SDSU game. Essentially betting on Rogers to have a huge game, Air and arm.

Yeah, makes zero sense.

Because it’s illogical on every single front, I think I’m going to play Rebels money line for shits and giggles. Maybe Rebels ML and over and we end the season on a WTF note like the SDSU game. Essentially betting on Rogers to have a huge game, Air and arm.

Yeah, makes zero sense.

I baffled by the decision.

1) Why announce now? Why not gamesmanship and force them to prepare for 2 QBs.

2) Max hasn't lit the world on fire, but Armani has been downright bad as a passer this year. No denying his ability to make plays with his legs or his arm strength. But he's struggled to make even simple throws. This feels more and more like Sanford/Hines 2.0.

2) Max hasn't lit the world on fire, but Armani has been downright bad as a passer this year. No denying his ability to make plays with his legs or his arm strength. But he's struggled to make even simple throws. This feels more and more like Sanford/Hines 2.0.
I agree completely. I think it’s just a “my guy” and stubbornness type of thing. Now, I will say, if Jerrod Jackson is your primary backup, no matter how flawed Armani is, he gets the ball because he’s your only hope at winning. But Max hasn’t been stellar, but he’s been capable and more consistent.

I think he’s just riding things out with his guy, he’s all in, figures if he sinks, he will sink with him, if he comes through, he will look like a genius. I’m sure he figures he is on borrowed time, may as well go with the Hail Mary of upside and cross your fingers than go with a “lesser” QB, an afterthought, a guy not the face of the program. I think he probably feels he/the school invested too much in Armani that they’ll ride it out. Sorta like how Fultz still has a job and Bennett lasted longer than he should have.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
... it’s hard to find much to make me feel like the Rebels have any chance... .

We are going to get killed if we can't dominate the game by running the football.

Reno is the 20th passing offense in the FBS, averaging 7.56 yds per attempt, 12.52 per completion with 22 TDs through the air with 44 total offensive TDs.

We are 109th in passing yardage allowed, giving up 8.68 yds per attempt, 14.73 per completion, 27 TDs through the air giving up a total of 50 offensive TDs.

Running the ball effectively and consistently, is our only hope and that's probably not going to be enough to get the job done.

The only good thing is that Norvell is being courted by some pretty good programs that UNR can't compete with if they do offer.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
We are going to get killed if we can't dominate the game by running the football.

Reno is the 20th passing offense in the FBS, averaging 7.56 yds per attempt, 12.52 per completion with 22 TDs through the air with 44 total offensive TDs.

We are 109th in passing yardage allowed, giving up 8.68 yds per attempt, 14.73 per completion, 27 TDs through the air giving up a total of 50 offensive TDs.

Running the ball effectively and consistently, is our only hope and that's probably not going to be enough to get the job done.

The only good thing is that Norvell is being courted by some pretty good programs that UNR can't compete with if they do offer.

Unfortunately that would be playing to their strength. UNR has the #24 rush D in the country. They only give up 3.3 yards per carry and 127 per game. Meanwhile their pass D is almost as bad as ours at #96 in the country.

Running the ball will always be important to this team but we need a much more balanced offense to have shot. If UNLV really is going with Armani this week he's going to need to have the best passing game of his career on Saturday night. Last year UNR sucked but they loaded up and held our running game in check. They forced Armani to make plays and he couldn't get it done. 3rd & 1, 4th & 1, 3rd & 2, 4th & 2 -- UNR kept getting big stops down the stretch. I really want to see Armani succeed but personally I think Max would be a much better option right now. I really hope I'm proved wrong.

I think one of Barney Cotton's best games as OC was vs Boise a few years back.

All the papers were writing how UNLV needed to shorten the game. Run the ball etc.

I think Decker threw 30+ times that game, and Rebels were in that one until late in the fourth.

Not suggesting he do that. Just that it's an option.

Well back to the OP. I'll be there so I hope they learn from what happened last year.

As for last game, I thought that Armani looked pretty good for most of the game. Even that last TD pass was a good throw that isn't easy.

Then the 4th quarter came.

We've seen this happen time and time again. A momentum shift and our offense just sputters. How can it be that much harder to run the ball at the end of the game? Shouldn't it be easier? Loading the box like that should give plenty of passing opportunities that just don't happen.

Max made some bad throws himself, but at the end of the game you know he would have faired better. Especially once they got within 1 score, then tied, then took the lead.

Meh. We will see. Overall I think the ceiling is higher with Armani, but maybe not closing out games.

Either way I'll be at the game this weekend flying in from H-Town. So lets show up and show out!!

Reactions: lvrebalum2012
Well back to the OP. I'll be there so I hope they learn from what happened last year.

As for last game, I thought that Armani looked pretty good for most of the game. Even that last TD pass was a good throw that isn't easy.

Then the 4th quarter came.

We've seen this happen time and time again. A momentum shift and our offense just sputters. How can it be that much harder to run the ball at the end of the game? Shouldn't it be easier? Loading the box like that should give plenty of passing opportunities that just don't happen.

Max made some bad throws himself, but at the end of the game you know he would have faired better. Especially once they got within 1 score, then tied, then took the lead.

Meh. We will see. Overall I think the ceiling is higher with Armani, but maybe not closing out games.

Either way I'll be at the game this weekend flying in from H-Town. So lets show up and show out!!

Higher ceiling for sure.

Problem is he looks like he's regressed as a passer.

He is flat out missing open guys. In his defense there have been quite a few drops. But he should have developed more as a passer by now.

If Sanchez survives (Most likely) I have to imagine there will be even more changes to the staff.

My guess, O'Dell is gone. There could be others...

I will stick with my prediction. Hawaii got Sanchez fired. Win or Lose to Reno won’t change it. A loss will just basically confirm it.

I will stick with my prediction. Hawaii got Sanchez fired. Win or Lose to Reno won’t change it. A loss will just basically confirm it.

It's possible. There have been rumblings. It probably should be the case...

I have no 'sources'. I know nothing concrete. But I know a few people close to the program/school who have said it's a very tense situation.

If money were no issue, this would most likely be coach Sanchez' last game.

But money is an issue.

Uncertainty with Menzies makes it even more difficult. Replacing a basketball and football coach in the same year is not easy.

Unless Desiree has secured new booster money UNLV can't afford to buyout Sanchez.

Let me rephrase that, they could probably afford the buyout but there would be little left to hire a new coach.

The only thing that leads me to think the 'Sanchez camp' is or at least might have been a little worried, is two weeks after Desiree made her 'reevaluate the program' comments, the Fertitta's made a very rare public show of support for Coach Sanchez.

That's purely speculative on my part though.

Reactions: RebelinWA
Higher ceiling for sure.

Problem is he looks like he's regressed as a passer.

He is flat out missing open guys. In his defense there have been quite a few drops. But he should have developed more as a passer by now.

If Sanchez survives (Most likely) I have to imagine there will be even more changes to the staff.

My guess, O'Dell is gone. There could be others...

It is weird, he has regressed. Armani has not once looked as good this season as he did at his best last season. Not even close.

More flim on him? that's probably part of it. But it seems like they haven't worked on any of his biggest deficiencies.

Well against USC he was making better decisions with the ball. Throwing the ball away more, staying in the pocket a little longer, made some good throws that were drops. But still...

It is weird, he has regressed. Armani has not once looked as good this season as he did at his best last season. Not even close.

More flim on him? that's probably part of it. But it seems like they haven't worked on any of his biggest deficiencies.

Well against USC he was making better decisions with the ball. Throwing the ball away more, staying in the pocket a little longer, made some good throws that were drops. But still...

It looks like he's going to the right guys/making the right reads. He's just not hitting guys.

He has the arm strength to make every throw. But it seems like he only throws a couple routes well. Shrinks the playbook way down.

To me it seems like he hardly looks at more than 2 guys on any play. He bails and runs pretty early. He also doesn't do the little things like purposefully looking off the defense and throwing the ball the other way.

He's got a cannon and puts a little too much on it at time, but also shows he can make tough, touch throws.

Though it's tough for me to see from my couch

To me it seems like he hardly looks at more than 2 guys on any play. He bails and runs pretty early. He also doesn't do the little things like purposefully looking off the defense and throwing the ball the other way.

He's got a cannon and puts a little too much on it at time, but also shows he can make tough, touch throws.

Though it's tough for me to see from my couch

To be fair, most college QBs are given 1-2 reads.

One of the more positive posters on the boards...

Has been broken by the disappointment of this season.

You are right Rebel Bro.

I have supported the team all I can. UNM was the turning point...I was there in the Sam King and RC days. The last 28 years has killed it for me....Go Texas A & M

I understand.

We all have a breaking point.

I'm not there yet. But I understand.

It's not fun.
I didn’t think UNLV football had a breaking point. I mean, anybody who has come in as a fan knows they aren’t going to get much. It’s more like an initial acceptance point; we know we are going to suck.

I guess it comes down to how much time and energy you put into it.

I didn’t think UNLV football had a breaking point. I mean, anybody who has come in as a fan knows they aren’t going to get much. It’s more like an initial acceptance point; we know we are going to suck.

I guess it comes down to how much time and energy you put into it.

Everything has a breaking point.

Even UNLV football.

I can't count the number of times, 4th quarter a minute left in the game down 20+ I've thought why am I torturing myself.

The promise of 'next year' always brings me back.

Sanford- OC for BCS busting Utah...This has to work!

Hauck- 80--17 record and 2 FCS title game appearances. This is the guy!

Sanchez- Successful HS coach, booster ties. We tried the traditional route, maybe this will work!

In the past I chided people for not attending. Bashed the students for not showing up.

Not anymore. I get it. I don't blame folks for checking out. It's not fun to watch your team lose, week after week after week.

It's not fun to watch the same cycle with each coach.

Promise of a new culture.
We have to get our guys in.
We have to do a better job as coaches.
We lack the depth.
Guys didn't compete hard enough.
It's the locker rooms. (Infrastructure/funding/lack of booster support)

Sanchez is at the 'lack depth/guys didn't compete hard enough' portion of the cycle.

Since 2003 I've seen I believe 36 home wins. Or an average of just over 2 home wins per year. As sad as that number is, it's more sad I look at that 36 and honestly my first thought is 'Surprised it's that many'.

This is the first year for me its actually begun to feel like a grind. I love tailgating, hanging out with friends etc. Hell I use to do a weekly thread with our upcoming menu here. But this year, is the first time it's become a chore. Loading the grills, prepping the food, feels almost like work.

I'll never stop going/supporting/doing extra little stuff like buy extra season tickets to get more folks out to games. But I get why people are done with it..I don't blame them.

Reactions: c-reb-run
I have no rhyme or reason for my guess but I think CTS and the Rebs will blow out Reno.

If my job were on the line, I'd probably play Gilliam, but I might base it on how each plays in practice.

I have no rhyme or reason for my guess but I think CTS and the Rebs will blow out Reno.
That's a fun thought. If I were you, I would do my best to hold that thought as long as possible by not watching the game this weekend. In fact, do your best to avoid any Rebel football news until next August when the rest of us suckers are filled with hope again. It's probably easier that way.

Sanchez is going to start Armani against Reno. Even after that debacle in Hawaii. Makes me wonder what kind of drugs he is on. He cannot see he and His Armani love affair cost us the game? Hate to say it but I’m predicting about 48-17 Reno type game. All the good things he has done do not overcome stupidity. I will be praying he gets fired Sunday and we hire a coach who realizes that we need a passing team in Las Vegas. It’s just who we are. From Carano ~ Cunningham~ King~ and so on. Become a team who throws and sprinkle in a few surprising runs. That would make us more exciting to watch... equalling more fans. Tony Tony Tony. Bench Armani if you want a chance to win. Not happening I know. Sad.....
Is he really starting AR?

That's a fun thought. If I were you, I would do my best to hold that thought as long as possible by not watching the game this weekend. In fact, do your best to avoid any Rebel football news until next August when the rest of us suckers are filled with hope again. It's probably easier that way.
I’m an idiot with this one. I made a tiny money play on UNLV. It’s senseless, it’s throwing tiny amount of money away. I’m gambling on the longshot that UNLV actually clicks in a game on both sides to a high degree. They’ve got no pressure. I figure punchers chance, have fun with the longshot bet and expect to lose it. +500. May as well. I’d take it before laying -600

He plays mind games with Max to make sure he doesn’t challenge for the number one spot. Same reason he sent Rogers out for the coin flip right before Max’s first start (remember how well that went). I wouldn’t be surprised if he whispers “don’t get too comfortable” into max’s Ear before every possession.

Remember that he teased Roger’s return before he was ready just to make max uncomfortable. The whole “Armani is cleared to play, maybe he’ll play this week.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I’m an idiot with this one. I made a tiny money play on UNLV. It’s senseless, it’s throwing tiny amount of money away. I’m gambling on the longshot that UNLV actually clicks in a game on both sides to a high degree. They’ve got no pressure. I figure punchers chance, have fun with the longshot bet and expect to lose it. +500. May as well. I’d take it before laying -600
the way i see it is, Coach plays armani, we lose. Coach plays max, we win.

I watched 3 minutes and saw all I needed to see Turned the game off at with 12:03 left in the first quarter

LOL. Sanchez thinks Armani is a much better QB than he is. 4th & 4 passing against a blitz....

This is the one game where DRF has to sit and chat with everyone in clubhouse and he's pulling this crap. what does she tell people?

He will never learn.

And then Norvell rubs his face in it. Norvell knows how to drop a non-QB who thinks he's a QB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT