ADVERTISEMENT

Are we good

It appears what Smith does well, he excels at. He protects the ball, is a pure point and doesn’t turn the ball over. Also, he is a ++athlete at his position and that can’t be taught. Consequently, he defends and rebounds at a high level. Why his free throw shooting went down from the prior years where he shot 60% from the line I have no clue. But the mechanics on his shot look fine. I am not saying he can become a pure shooter. But a lot of practice and repetition in the gym can help to where he can get his free throw shooting to an acceptable percentage. I would take him.

It appears what Smith does well, he excels at. He protects the ball, is a pure point and doesn’t turn the ball over. Also, he is a ++athlete at his position and that can’t be taught. Consequently, he defends and rebounds at a high level. Why his free throw shooting went down from the prior years where he shot 60% from the line I have no clue. But the mechanics on his shot look fine. I am not saying he can become a pure shooter. But a lot of practice and repetition in the gym can help where he can get his free throw shooting to an acceptable percentage.
At this point, we need all the skills you said at the 1. My questions are his FT and 3pt aren’t just bad they are awful. I just noticed that, I did not say he couldn’t get better? He has skills and maybe he doesn’t need any NIL and we can get him here but if he is a liability at both those stats I mentioned it will hurt us at times. I have said it before and so have you I believe, Drake or any of the other 3 I mentioned aren’t terrible options, they just aren’t sexy 4 stars!

Why, because you say so?

This is UNLV, not the land of “milk and honey” there’s no competitive NIL program? We couldn’t even get Ruffin here for a visit before super power Jackson St swooped in? Look, I appreciate the info and have told you so but don’t make guesses about my opinions based on your hunches. You don’t know unless I tell you. As I have said our price range is the Allen’s, Davis’s, Hawkins and Reynolds of the world, not the Dedan’s or Ruffin’s of the world!

I hope I’m wrong but the track at UNLV sucks for getting true PG’s and Centers into scarlet and gray. If that wasn’t the case, we wouldn’t all be going on about it, would we?!
Thats valid. My apologies.

Ruffin is from Jackson, MS so going to Jackson State was not too far fetched imo. Thats a big enough draw for him. He didnt even leave his home state for his first stop so I dont think NIL played any role in his decision. And if it did, how did Jackson State come up with more money than us? If thats the case, shut the whole program down tbh. A school like Jackson State, who didnt even have clean water for their players shouldnt be outbidding anyone.

I agree that we suck at getting PGs and Centers here. At this point, I'd be happy to have Allen here but I just think that Deivon Smith is a better player and athlete. Personally, I want an athlete at PG.

If we keep going at this rate, we will miss out on DJ, Deivon, Drake, Dedan, Hawkins, and anyone else we look at.

Thats valid. My apologies.

Ruffin is from Jackson, MS so going to Jackson State was not too far fetched imo. Thats a big enough draw for him. He didnt even leave his home state for his first stop so I dont think NIL played any role in his decision. And if it did, how did Jackson State come up with more money than us? If thats the case, shut the whole program down tbh. A school like Jackson State, who didnt even have clean water for their players shouldnt be outbidding anyone.

I agree that we suck at getting PGs and Centers here. At this point, I'd be happy to have Allen here but I just think that Deivon Smith is a better player and athlete. Personally, I want an athlete at PG.

If we keep going at this rate, we will miss out on DJ, Deivon, Drake, Dedan, Hawkins, and anyone else we look at.
We haven’t had a true PG in I don’t know how long and the last C might have been Keon! So you feel our pain here. And if it’s Smith great but he needs to put his bed in the gym because his Ft’s and 3pt% both need to improve to be a tournament team next year!

At this point, we need all the skills you said at the 1. My questions are his FT and 3pt aren’t just bad they are awful. I just noticed that, I did not say he couldn’t get better? He has skills and maybe he doesn’t need any NIL and we can get him here but if he is a liability at both those stats I mentioned it will hurt us at times. I have said it before and so have you I believe, Drake or any of the other 3 I mentioned aren’t terrible options, they just aren’t sexy 4 stars!
Just watch his film. It jumps off the tape as to what he is good at and a lot of it can‘t be taught. He is a pure point with good vision. An elite athlete. Probably the best rebounding pg in the country. Super quick, strong and plays through contact. Also, his handles are very tight. In fact it is very difficult to stay in front of him because of his quickness and this is in the ACC. Also, he plays high level on the ball defense. On the negative we have his shooting. I get it. But I would take him over Drake and I like Drake.

Just watch his film. It jumps off the tape as to what he is good at and a lot of it can‘t be taught. He is a pure point with good vision. An elite athlete. Probably the best rebounding pg in the country. Super quick, strong and plays through contact. Also, his handles are very tight. In fact it is very difficult to stay in front of him because of his quickness and this is in the ACC. Also, he plays high level on the ball defense. On the negative we have his shooting. I get it. But I would take him over Drake and I like Drake.
I will wait like many here, to see if he visits, until then…

Actually I’d love mccabe on this team, he is at least a true PG and I think would benefit with actual bigs on his team.
I’d take him too. Not my favorite, but he’s not trying to be anything but a point guard. He knows what he is.

Good news is the team will look entirely different. Last years team was garbage.

Can’t say if it will transform into something more with so many new faces, but you were pretty much doomed to bottom half of conference with last years dudes.

I could say the same about the continual Covid 19 and political talk on the confidential board!

People can have exchanges and it not be the end of the world. Anything else is a little to “cultish” for me. This is a message board, we don’t have to always agree but I think we can agree that those of us here still love the idea of the Rebels and want what’s best for UNLV!

They’re probably a little late into the picture!
The fact that they are in the picture offering this late isn’t good at all. They have the money (NIL), conference, and exposure. Also means that he didn’t tell them no when they contacted, esp since he has cut his list before (correct me if I’m wrong).

The fact that they are in the picture offering this late isn’t good at all. They have the money (NIL), conference, and exposure. Also means that he didn’t tell them no when they contacted, esp since he has cut his list before (correct me if I’m wrong).
You always listen... doesn't mean you're interested but you never say no flat out... you never know for whatever reason if the well dries up you don't want to burn bridges...

Reactions: mwsn7022012
You always listen... doesn't mean you're interested but you never say no flat out... you never know for whatever reason if the well dries up you don't want to burn bridges...
Yes you always listen, but also picking up an offer is more than just listening esp this late IMO… I don’t expect UNLV to land him, just my gut feeling on this one. Too much money for this kid to miss out on simply to play for his home team that has been playing in front of an average of 4-5K a night in a shit conference. I’m assuming Bama can get into the six figures for him if that’s needed.

Reactions: rebel5280
I’m assuming Bama can get into the six figures for him if that’s needed.
He’s getting six figures from any team he goes to, including UNLV. The problem is those other teams are getting into the mid six figures.

Everybody just needs to relax, put the phones down and take a chill pill. Whatever happens happens and I’m sure it will have no effect on your personal lives or pocketbooks so why get yourselves all stressed out over something you have no control over
That’s no fun. Heck, this is the busiest this board has been in a long time.

I am optimistic too. Not based on any inside information, however. KK has more on the line than anyone. He has to understand that the direction of his entire life will depend on getting at least a decent point guard. UNLV going to the tournament and doing well could lead to a pathway for even better future recruit’s and success. His future should start to be established. But another mediocre year and his future could include years of assistant coaching before he gets back to where he can make an impact. That type of pressure should lead to a good point guard.

@bcvegaspt is spot on. There will be more concrete answers by this time next week from what I hear as well.

Also, Brock Vice never made it to campus after all. Decided to play AAU this spring and his first tournament was this weekend. His offer list may explode now
As far as Brock Vice goes, Creighton dont have a football team ....If he goes somewhere else, good for him. IMHO, he's a Rebels.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I am optimistic too. Not based on any inside information, however. KK has more on the line than anyone. He has to understand that the direction of his entire life will depend on getting at least a decent point guard. UNLV going to the tournament and doing well could lead to a pathway for even better future recruit’s and success. His future should start to be established. But another mediocre year and his future could include years of assistant coaching before he gets back to where he can make an impact. That type of pressure should lead to a good point guard.
I will add C to this description as well. We need a PG and a big man in the middle. No hybrids, someone long who is 6’10 to 7’0” tall, good hands, who can rebound and block shots. The need for both a real PG and C goes back forever, let’s see if Kevin can make it happen with the portal!

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I hope we get him. You would think with his dad here he will come.
Same here. But sometimes it's not as simple as that sadly
I want Vice real bad. But I worry about the exposure hes about to get. He’s going to get some serious offers.
he's definitely going to get a bunch of P5 offers. I wouldn't even be surprised if he committed to Creighton at this point. Learn from Kalbrenner.

We need somebody who can do what Karl Jones is supposed to be able to do. A big body who isn’t a stiff.

@lobbybuu what are you hearing about Issac Jones ? Also since Brock didn’t visit , did we have any visits that you could speak of?
I personally haven't even heard that Jones has an offer or that he is being pursued as of this moment.

No one visited this past weekend but theres potential for a couple to visit this weekend and I think that would be finalized by the end of tomorrow. Probably wont be a a visit that is tweeted out from what I'm hearing but I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Did you see or read something somewhere that links him to UNLV or do you have a bad case of diarrhea and are just spraying the wall to see what sticks? Not everyone in the portal has to be linked to UNLV in some ways. This is how you guys set yourself up for disappointment, because you keep throwing names out and get upset when they go elsewhere.

you all (UNLV) have a good P.G. on y'all roster (Jackie Johnson). He really matured from the first half to the second half of the season the steal in the Air Force game and he took over in O.T. in the Reno game.

Did you see or read something somewhere that links him to UNLV or do you have a bad case of diarrhea and are just spraying the wall to see what sticks? Not everyone in the portal has to be linked to UNLV in some ways. This is how you guys set yourself up for disappointment, because you keep throwing names out and get upset when they go elsewhere.
This is an example of Wackilove and Cerio posting something to rile people up and then everyone thinks we have a realistic shot at every player in the portal

Reactions: RRebel
you all (UNLV) have a good P.G. on y'all roster (Jackie Johnson). He really matured from the first half to the second half of the season the steal in the Air Force game and he took over in O.T. in the Reno game.
That was two games. He didn't do much besides that, but he did look very improved in those games.

However, he should not be running the point for any team that wants to be successful. Gets killed on defense and isn't a great distributor.

That was two games. He didn't do much besides that, but he did look very improved in those games.

However, he should not be running the point for any team that wants to be successful. Gets killed on defense and isn't a great distributor.
I think he will have a great season for you all at the P.G. position this year

No indication of UNLV contacting Jones. But he illustrates that there are a lot of really good players that are overlooked in the high school recruiting process. Because there are talented players out there and you rarely see a 6'9' player with this type of handle.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT