ADVERTISEMENT

Are we good

One more point on Kalib Boone. He is 6’9” with a 7’3” wingspan. Length counts more than height. Further, as a sophomore he led the Big 12 in blocked shots a was 32nd nation. So he led the Big 12 in blocked shots and he is not good enough to man the paint in the MWC?

We played wide open, forced tempo, forced UNC to try and keep up with us, we had some shooters … we were essentially frenetic and widely spread the entire game and some guys were hot.

I’m not discounting either QT or Brice’s contributions, they did what they were supposed to do on that game.

But what stood out to me in that game more than anything - UNLV was the absolute aggressor and they didn’t let up. UNLV looked every part of the better team in that game, even though they weren’t. They weren’t scared at all. They were aggressively opportunistic and didn’t let up.
The coolest part about games like that is even though it’s an “upset”, as you watched it unfold, you knew it wasn’t a fluke because it wasn’t a few calls and some lucky shots and a buzzer beater. It was bulls by the horn, this is ours and you ain’t taking it. I love that. That, to me, is Rebel basketball. Unfortunately, those games were “easy” against tough opponents, but vs the mediocre teams in conference, they pretty much sleepwalked … except for the SDSU battles.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Kalib Boone was a huge pick up.

From the Oklahoma State Basketball site on KB:

2020-21 (Sophomore Season)
• Rewrote the program’s single-season field goal percentage record with a clip of 64.2 percent in 2020-21. Boone broke Chianti Robert’s record of 62.5 percent, which had stood since 1996-97.
• Rejected 49 shots in 2020-21, which led the Big 12 and ranked 32nd nationally. His average of 1.63 blocks per game was second in the league only to TCU’s Kevin Samuel (1.69 bpg).
• Those 49 blocks tied Boone for 15th on the OSU single-season shot-blocking charts, and his average of 1.63 per game ranked 18th.
• Earned his first career Academic All-Big 12 selection in 2021.
• OSU’s third leading scorer with an average of 9.4 points per game, which nearly doubled his average from his freshman season (4.7 ppg).
• Ranked 14th in the Big 12 Conference and third on the squad in rebounding with an average of 5.4 boards per game.
• Recorded a pair of six-block performances in the Big 12 Championship wins over No. 2 Baylor and No. 10 West Virginia, which were the second-most by any Big 12 player in all of 2020-21.
• Had 14 total blocks at the 2021 Big 12 Championship, which are the second most ever at a single Big 12 Championship behind only Baylor’s Austin Taylor, who had 18 blocks at the 2014 tournament. It also broke Ivan McFarlin’s school record of 11 career blocks in Big 12 Championship games. The 14 blocks also set a new OSU record for a single conference championship.
• Was the only OSU player to appear in all 30 games, and his 24 starts were second only to Cade Cunningham.
• In Big 12 Conference play, Boone’s averages jumped to 10.4 points per game on a league-high 67.5 percent shooting.
• Ended the season having made 77 of his last 115 shots (.670) over the year’s final 18 games.
• Recorded a team-high 32 dunks in 2020-21, which are 13 more than the next closest Cowboy.
• Ranked fourth on the team in plus/minus with a mark of +73 (+2.6 per game, +4.9 per 40).
• Posted a pair of 20-point games, including a career-high 22-point, 11-rebound outburst in the win over No. 6 Texas.
• Owned the paint in a 21-point game against Baylor that included 10-of-15 shooting in GIA.
• Reached double-figures in scoring 14 times in 2020-21, including 10 points in the Big 12 Championship semifinal win over No. 2 Baylor and 12 points in the finals against No. No. 13 Texas.
• Was 7-of-7 from the floor for 15 points in the win at Iowa State, which made him one of just two Big 12 players to record a perfect shooting night while attempting seven or more shots.
• The only Big 12 player with multiple games of perfect shooting with five or more attempts. Boone was also 5-of-5 from the floor for 13 points in the win over Oakland.
• Ranked 11th in the Big 12 with a trio of double-digit rebounding performances.
• Will enter his junior season already tied for 16th in OSU history with 72 career blocks, and his career field goal clip of 60.8 percent would be the best in school history.

I agree that another Big is needed for added depth. But UNLV defeated the No. 1 team in the country and made the ncaa’s with 6’9” center who had a 12 inch vertical in Brice Massamba. Kalib Boone is a big step up from Massamba and one of the most athletic Bigs in the country and has a legit low post-back to the basket game. Additionally, UNLV could potentially start a front line of 6’9” in Kalib Boone, 6’10” in Cottrell and 6’8” in Keylen Boone. I don’t see the issue there except for depth.
I agree, would like a true center but if we can rebound and defend the rim out of the other positions then not having one isn't the end of the world. Would much rather have a starting pg than a center given the option.

Personally think if JJ3 wants to come on and defend his position through a burner account I'm all here for it... heck invite more players, we've got the tape, I'd love to hear the defense of it from them directly, lol...
I am all for it too. If a player doesn't have confidence in their own ability who else will. They should just know that they won't convince anyone on a message board, they will have to do their convincing on the court. And there isn't much for them to gain given the negativity of message boards in general.

Also, Kalib is not only 6’9” and has a 7’3” wingspan. He also was measured with a 40” vertical. That’s why many considered him one of the most, if not the most athletic BIG to enter the portal.

Last edited:
Regardless of whatever mix we put out there, Hill and Kalib need to start. From what was discussed with the portal guys in their meetings, it's both Boones and Hill in the starting lineup. The rest is up for grabs. Now if Cottrell is healthy and earns a starting spot, start those 4 and a PG.

My preference is the trifecta, Nowell, and a PG. However, if Nowell doesn't improve and show that he can play with confidence and be aggressive 100% of the time, LuRod should start.

Kalib Boone was a huge pick up.

From the Oklahoma State Basketball site on KB:

2020-21 (Sophomore Season)
• Rewrote the program’s single-season field goal percentage record with a clip of 64.2 percent in 2020-21. Boone broke Chianti Robert’s record of 62.5 percent, which had stood since 1996-97.
• Rejected 49 shots in 2020-21, which led the Big 12 and ranked 32nd nationally. His average of 1.63 blocks per game was second in the league only to TCU’s Kevin Samuel (1.69 bpg).
• Those 49 blocks tied Boone for 15th on the OSU single-season shot-blocking charts, and his average of 1.63 per game ranked 18th.
• Earned his first career Academic All-Big 12 selection in 2021.
• OSU’s third leading scorer with an average of 9.4 points per game, which nearly doubled his average from his freshman season (4.7 ppg).
• Ranked 14th in the Big 12 Conference and third on the squad in rebounding with an average of 5.4 boards per game.
• Recorded a pair of six-block performances in the Big 12 Championship wins over No. 2 Baylor and No. 10 West Virginia, which were the second-most by any Big 12 player in all of 2020-21.
• Had 14 total blocks at the 2021 Big 12 Championship, which are the second most ever at a single Big 12 Championship behind only Baylor’s Austin Taylor, who had 18 blocks at the 2014 tournament. It also broke Ivan McFarlin’s school record of 11 career blocks in Big 12 Championship games. The 14 blocks also set a new OSU record for a single conference championship.
• Was the only OSU player to appear in all 30 games, and his 24 starts were second only to Cade Cunningham.
• In Big 12 Conference play, Boone’s averages jumped to 10.4 points per game on a league-high 67.5 percent shooting.
• Ended the season having made 77 of his last 115 shots (.670) over the year’s final 18 games.
• Recorded a team-high 32 dunks in 2020-21, which are 13 more than the next closest Cowboy.
• Ranked fourth on the team in plus/minus with a mark of +73 (+2.6 per game, +4.9 per 40).
• Posted a pair of 20-point games, including a career-high 22-point, 11-rebound outburst in the win over No. 6 Texas.
• Owned the paint in a 21-point game against Baylor that included 10-of-15 shooting in GIA.
• Reached double-figures in scoring 14 times in 2020-21, including 10 points in the Big 12 Championship semifinal win over No. 2 Baylor and 12 points in the finals against No. No. 13 Texas.
• Was 7-of-7 from the floor for 15 points in the win at Iowa State, which made him one of just two Big 12 players to record a perfect shooting night while attempting seven or more shots.
• The only Big 12 player with multiple games of perfect shooting with five or more attempts. Boone was also 5-of-5 from the floor for 13 points in the win over Oakland.
• Ranked 11th in the Big 12 with a trio of double-digit rebounding performances.
• Will enter his junior season already tied for 16th in OSU history with 72 career blocks, and his career field goal clip of 60.8 percent would be the best in school history.
He had an outstanding sophomore season statistically, dealt with some injuries and maybe a role change with Cisse coming in, and had a really good offensive season this past year. Hopefully he can continue to be a force at the rim because Im tired of guards just having their way blowing past guys and getting easy stuff at the rim.

I will agree that UNLV needs another Big and I hope they are making Brock Vice a priority and someone is in attendance at his aau games. Also, he would make a perfect addition to the front court where he would add need depth where he could play 10-12 minutes per game as a true freshmen. It’s worth noting he hit five 3 pt shots in one of his aau games.

I will agree that UNLV needs another Big and I hope they are making Brock Vice a priority and someone is in attendance at his aau games. Also, he would make a perfect addition to the front court where he would add need depth where he could play 10-12 minutes per game as a true freshmen. It’s worth noting he hit five 3 pt shots in one of his aau games.

I sure hope he chooses UNLV

Utah Valley, but we passed on him. It was over with last week. Zeroing in on a portal PG as we speak.
From discussions last week, it was mentioned that we'd have a better picture of the PG position in a week. We're coming up on that 1 week timeframe.

Is DT making a decision this week? Or are we getting a PG otherwise, and let the DT chips fall where they may?

Reactions: RRebel
Yesterday Creighton's center declared for the draft. It might be hard to beat out Creighton for Vice if they offer him significant playing time.
Is he likely to be drafted? As we've seen plenty on our side, declaring for the draft doesn't mean getting drafted. Is that just to get into camps and get feedback, or is he a legitimate NBA player?

Is he likely to be drafted? As we've seen plenty on our side, declaring for the draft doesn't mean getting drafted. Is that just to get into camps and get feedback, or is he a legitimate NBA player?
He average 15 a game. I did not him see play. He is a junior.

Omaha World-HeraldWhere your story lives
ALERT TOP STORY TOPICAL
Creighton's Ryan Kalkbrenner enters NBA draft
Joel Lorenzi Apr 25, 2023 Updated 18 hrs ago 10
Play Video
In the latest episode of Half-Court Press, Joel Lorenzi and Sam McKewon look at how Ryan Nembhard's decision shocked Creighton men's basketball and where the Bluejays go from here.

Facebook
Twitter
WhatsApp
SMS
EmailCopy article link
Save

Creighton center Ryan Kalkbrenner has entered his name into the NBA draft, according to the league's early entry list released Tuesday night. He will retain his eligibility and the option of returning to CU.

A source recently saw Kalkbrenner working out in Chicago with Iowa’s Keegan Murray and North Carolina’s Pete Nance.

The 7-foot-1 center averaged 15.9 points, 6.1 rebounds and 2.1 blocks this past season, anchoring CU’s defense en route to an Elite Eight appearance. Kalkbrenner was one of the four finalists for the Naismith defensive player of the year award and won back-to-back Big East honors as the league's best defender.

You guys know I cant reveal who it is until I'm 100 percent sure. As of now, I'm not. I'm not even trying to be cryptic or hype this up but if you have read my comments, you know who I rock with when it comes to the PG spot lol

The wheels are churning though; I'll say that much

Deivon Smith - Great assist-to-turnover ratio. ( He does not turn it over much) Played 24 games ( missed 9 ), was he injured? 45% FT ( if the game comes down to the last minute it's hack-a-shack time) Poor 3 pt %.

To me, he's worrisome. With his free-throw %, you can't have him in at the end of any close game. You want to have a point that is needed at the end of a game not a liability. Additionally, his 3 Pt. % will allow defenders to play off him (except it will allow him to penetrate and dish).

He and JJ are similar in the fact that they are short players that can penetrate. Deivon is better in that he is much better with assists. JJ is better because he is a much better shooter.

I know time is ticking, but I would much rather see a taller point that could shoot the ball or at least make free throws.

He has great ball control, can drive and dish, very good assist to turnnover ratio, very good defensively, gets other players involved. I'm not concerned about his 3pt % because we have Nowell, Rod, Cotrell, Webster and Keylan who all can shoot the 3 ball. That will spread the floor and create even more for DS and others.
The only problem I see is his ft%. If he can get it back up to over 60% like.his previous years it will be okay, prefer over 70% for a guard.
I think he would be good enough with the other peices we have to make a serious run at making the dance. Way better than our chance with JJIII running the point.
I would be very happy if we were able to get him.

Deivon Smith - Great assist-to-turnover ratio. ( He does not turn it over much) Played 24 games ( missed 9 ), was he injured? 45% FT ( if the game comes down to the last minute it's hack-a-shack time) Poor 3 pt %.

To me, he's worrisome. With his free-throw %, you can't have him in at the end of any close game. You want to have a point that is needed at the end of a game not a liability. Additionally, his 3 Pt. % will allow defenders to play off him (except it will allow him to penetrate and dish).

He and JJ are similar in the fact that they are short players that can penetrate. Deivon is better in that he is much better with assists. JJ is better because he is a much better shooter.

I know time is ticking, but I would much rather see a taller point that could shoot the ball or at least make free throws.
Unless we have a really strong shot at much better player I'd pounce on this guy and make free throw practice the first thing he works on when he gets here.

He has great ball control, can drive and dish, very good assist to turnnover ratio, very good defensively, gets other players involved. I'm not concerned about his 3pt % because we have Nowell, Rod, Cotrell, Webster and Keylan who all can shoot the 3 ball. That will spread the floor and create even more for DS and others.
The only problem I see is his ft%. If he can get it back up to over 60% like.his previous years it will be okay, prefer over 70% for a guard.
I think he would be good enough with the other peices we have to make a serious run at making the dance. Way better than our chance with JJIII running the point.
He’s also a willing rebounder. 5.6 rebounds a game.

I would be very happy to get smith. He is explosive to the Rim. Like you wrote we have others who can shoot the three and Whaley shot the three pretty. I good at Juco too. I'm thinking and hoping as a senior next year his 3pt shooting and FT shooting should improve. Also interested to see how Hicks will help the team

Reactions: rebelzzz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT