ADVERTISEMENT

Are we good

I only saw him in the tourney game but I think this would be a very nice pick up if it happened. Hopefully Kevin and staff reach out to him.
He can shoot the 3! Nice steal and assist stats, almost 6 assists a game. He can pass. His competition in his conferance was not great but he played well against the tougher teams he faced.

Are we over exaggerating missing one game for DTJ? Didn't we have someone going to nearly everyone of his HS games, he has been on campus multiple teams, including last weekend?
I get that it isn't the best look, but are we freaking out about nothing?

He can shoot the 3! Nice steal and assist stats, almost 6 assists a game. He can pass. His competition in his conferance was not great but he played well against the tougher teams he faced.
Can shoot the 3 is an understatement! This guy shoots it at a 46% clip, that’s dangerous with good players around him! The only thing is he’s shorter than 6’0” tall.

Last edited:
Are we over exaggerating missing one game for DTJ? Didn't we have someone going to nearly everyone of his HS games, he has been on campus multiple teams, including last weekend?
I get that it isn't the best look, but are we freaking out about nothing?
Yea this is Rebels basketball 🏀 of course were freaking out. Most of us are on pins and needles. We have waited a long time for the Rebels to be revelant. Maybe your right we still have a great chance to get Dedan, but if we don't then what. Just hoping there is a back up plan and I'm sure there is. One thing is for sure we cannot know all the inner workings that is going on right now! Well maybe @lobbybuu knows

Last edited:
Yea this is Rebels basketball 🏀 of course were freaking out. Most of us are on pins and needles. We have waited a long time for the Rebels to be revelant. Maybe your right we still have a great chance to get Dedan, but if we don't then what. Just hoping there is a back up plan and I'm sure there is. One thing is for sure we cannot know all the inner workings that is going on right now! Well maybe lobbyluu knows
There's also no reason to believe he's the only PG that we would sign and that's the premise of the offer that we have in table for him... I'd fully expect the staff is doing its due diligence and also is out getting more help as needed

Hes a Kruger... playing with a undersized 5 and without a true PG in his blood...
Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+
My fav TV show

Reactions: Rebelhustle
Allen isn’t a stiff my man and we need three point shooting from this spot on the floor, can’t have a non threat that you can sag off of?!
I kind of have to agree after watching his tape... if he can distribute and then be available for an open 3 as needed then he's better for us than someone who can't. We need perimeter options if we're going to play faster but smaller interior post players... as long as whoever running the point knows their role and plays within it I'm down..

Reactions: Rebelhustle
I agree, Allen isnt a stiff at all. I just prefer Deivon's game. I like explosive and rangy athletes at the PG spot. I really like how he can grab a rebound and start the break immediately. He can make an immediate impact here, even more so than Ruffin.

One of my good friends went to GT so I watched some games with him and he jumped off the screen for me every time

I agree, Allen isnt a stiff at all. I just prefer Deivon's game. I like explosive and rangy athletes at the PG spot. I really like how he can grab a rebound and start the break immediately. He can make an immediate impact here, even more so than Ruffin.

One of my good friends went to GT so I watched some games with him and he jumped off the screen for me every time
Why are his 3pt and FT shooting stats so horrendous? If you have a penetrating PG, he needs to be able to make a free throw, can’t be Shaquille at the foul line!

Last edited:
Allen isn’t a stiff my man and we need three point shooting from this spot on the floor, can’t have a non threat that you can sag off of?!
I just don't see it from Allen, watched him from row two at the WAC tournament. He was the 5th best player on that team at best. Cameron Gooden 5'11" guard from Utah Tech was a stud Brandon Ewing/ Oregon Duck Porter type guard. Broke Allen's ankles all night. Don't know if he has any eligibility left though.

I just don't see it from Allen, watched him from row two at the WAC tournament. He was the 5th best player on that team at best. Cameron Gooden 5'11" guard from Utah Tech was a stud Brandon Ewing/ Oregon Duck Porter type guard. Broke Allen's ankles all night. Don't know if he has any eligibility left though.
In one game he was bad, well that proves it, he can’t play here. C’mon every PG prospect we are looking at has bad tape, that’s why they are in the portal! The fact of the matter is, we need a PG and a C to go with these wings we signed or this season will be a huge waste of time. We have a short PG already in JJ, we don’t need another under 6’0“ guy with huge question marks, like 3pt and FT shooting!

Reactions: offsuit
With all due respect to JJ, Webster was the backup PG over him when Gilbert was out. JJ being the backup to Webster shows that he’s not a solid lead guard.
So we really need 2 PG’s then because Webster and JJ are not PG’s. Thanks for that!

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Why are his 3pt and FT shooting stats so horrendous? If you have a penetrating PG, he needs to be able to make a free throw, can’t be Shaquille at the foul line!
Not every player is going to be a great 3pt and FT shooter?

We can nitpick every player. For example, Allen struggles mightily against any type of pressure and can be a reckless passer. Also the comp he faced was very weak for the most part.

Did you watch him or Deivon Smith play or are you just going off of highlights? Because actually watching a game shows the real story.

Reactions: LVRebel2000

We can nitpick every player. For example, Allen struggles mightily against any type of pressure and can be a reckless passer. Also the comp he faced was very weak for the most part.

Did you watch him or Deivon Smith play or are you just going off of highlights? Because actually watching a game shows the real story.
I have to agree with you on this because all players have warts. But Smith is a pure pg and played very well against elite competition in the ACC. That means a lot.

I have to agree with you on this because all players have warts. But Smith is a pure pg and played very well against elite competition in the ACC. That means a lot.

Exactly. That means a ton.

Smith definitely should have gotten more run on the court and I think he will really thrive here. But all of this is a mute point if we can't keep his interest and get him out on a visit. He's actually my favorite PG in the portal rn and was one of my favorite players to watch coming out of hs.

I'm going to try to dig deeper for intel on Deivon.

All players will have a crutch. But if the team is balanced enough those problems can be overcome… at least to a degree. I’ll take smiths all day long, especially with the other guys we have brought in.

I like Elijah Hawkins. Hawkins dishes out the assists and shoots the 3 ball great. Smith's assist/turnover ratio is great and he definitely has faced stiffer competition than Drake or Hawkins. I would take any of the three if Dedan decides to else where. I'm hoping Dedan let's UNLV know soon his final destination.

All players will have a crutch. But if the team is balanced enough those problems can be overcome… at least to a degree. I’ll take smiths all day long, especially with the other guys we have brought in.
Especially now. Legit low post threats Smith can feed in Kalib, Hill and maybe even Whaley. Although only 6’6”, Whaley is bouncey and long with a 6’11” wingspan. Also, if Cottrell is healthy. Maybe even another Big like Vice. Also, Keylen, Webster and Nowell can shoot the 3 along with some of the Bigs.

We can go around and around, with who but the questions are can Kevin get an audience with the top guys and two, where’s the NIL dough going to come from? Face it folks we are the poor beggar not the deep pockets and guys like Allen, DJ Davis Hawkins and the PG transfer from Wyo are who we can get here and also they are who we can afford. Dedan could happen but I doubt it. We are who we are and I just gave you a list of the guys we get to campus! No insider info just going on the track record. We haven’t had a PG or C here in ages!

Don’t need great but how about competent?

Don’t need great but how about competent?
See above posts for why/how Deivon Smith is better than Drake Allen, despite his shooting percentages not being great.

Again, have you watched Drake Allen or Deivon Smith in-game or are you going based off of highlights and stats that you only looked up? Seems like the latter.

I respect all opinions and preferences but it seems like you're completely disregarding Smith as a player and not replying to any other comments regarding Smith except mine. Do you have a horse in this race and/or a bone to pick with me?

Last edited:
See above posts for why/how Deivon Smith is better than Drake Allen, despite his shooting percentages not being great.

Again, have you watched Drake Allen or Deivon Smith in-game or are you going based off of highlights and stats that you only looked up? Seems like the latter.

I respect all opinions and preferences but it seems like you're completely disregarding Smith as a player and not replying to any other comments regarding Smith except mine. Do you have a horse in this race and/or a bone to pick with me?
Why, because you say so?

This is UNLV, not the land of “milk and honey” there’s no competitive NIL program? We couldn’t even get Ruffin here for a visit before super power Jackson St swooped in? Look, I appreciate the info and have told you so but don’t make guesses about my opinions based on your hunches. You don’t know unless I tell you. As I have said our price range is the Allen’s, Davis’s, Hawkins and Reynolds of the world, not the Dedan’s or Ruffin’s of the world!

I hope I’m wrong but the track record at UNLV sucks for getting true PG’s and Centers into scarlet and gray. If that wasn’t the case, we wouldn’t all be going on about it, would we?!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT