ADVERTISEMENT

Are we good

This is nothing. Cryptic tweet because someone is going to eventually commit to us. He doesn't know who or when.
He got called out by Cottrell the other day. Cerio was hinting visits coming soon and Cottrell said “why don’t I know about this”. Cerio gets some information but often times it’s just cryptic so he can be right eventually

He got called out by Cottrell the other day. Cerio was hinting visits coming soon and Cottrell said “why don’t I know about this”. Cerio gets some information but often times it’s just cryptic so he can be right eventually
I'm sure he didn't reply to that tweet😂😂😂

Reactions: Trax0r and RRebel
Conner Vanover just entered the portal. I think we will pursue him and I feel like this is a very realistic get if we decide to go that route.
A 7'-3" Center that appears to have played some at Findlay Prep sounds like a pretty good fit to me. His numbers don't jump off the page or anything, but he's at least a big body that can rebound and block shots. I don't know what the staff is looking to do at the C position, but as you say, could be a decent get if that's the direction the staff goes in.

Reactions: Rebelhustle
7-5 center. Played against Utah State and NM last year. Scored 18 in both games and averaged 10 boards in those 2 games. He can play against MW competition. However he did have the benefit of playing with one of the top PGs in the nation last year.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Did Vice committed somewhere else?
No. Didn't take a visit here though even though it was originally planned. Decided to play AAU last minute this spring.

Looks like a Creighton lean right now and he will get more offers as we transition from spring to summer. He's going crazy on the circuit right now.

7-5 center. Played against Utah State and NM last year. Scored 18 in both games and averaged 10 boards in those 2 games. He can play against MW competition. However he did have the benefit of playing with one of the top PGs in the nation last year.
I saw him play last year. Absolutely a bean pole and weak, but his height is legit. I cannot believe he would accept not being absolute starter. With the twins here I do not see how Unlv could promise enough minutes.

I saw him play last year. Absolutely a bean pole and weak, but his height is legit. I cannot believe he would accept not being absolute starter. With the twins here I do not see how Unlv could promise enough minutes.
I agree it will be hard to get any center that is in his quality range. With the twins, Cottrell , and Hill the minutes will not be plentiful specially for a fifth year senior that wants to end is college career, however is this a hint that they don't expect Cottrell to log lots of minutes this year?

Reactions: saulpaul21
There are 0 guarantees at any position. You get the best available players that work within what you are trying to do. It's a lofty ambition to expect Cotrell to have the "impact" everyone is convinced he will have 3 years since he was the star HS recruit and 2 years since playing any real ball... competition is never a bad thing between highly competitive kids.

There is no doubt this kid can play in our league. ORU played Utah State this year. Conner Vanover got 12 rebounds playing 30 min in a 10 point loss. The only reason USU won is Ashworth went off shooting 8-9 from three. I don't see Cottrell getting near that many rebounds in any game.

There is no doubt this kid can play in our league. ORU played Utah State this year. Conner Vanover got 12 rebounds playing 30 min in a 10 point loss. The only reason USU won is Ashworth went off shooting 8-9 from three. I don't see Cottrell getting near that many rebounds in any game.
Maybe they can find a center that is big and his number 1 priority is to rebound like hell!

No. Didn't take a visit here though even though it was originally planned. Decided to play AAU last minute this spring.

Looks like a Creighton lean right now and he will get more offers as we transition from spring to summer. He's going crazy on the circuit right now.
I think we have a good shot at the kid. Dad's here, mom's going to be happy to have him close, our facilities are still 1st class, and meeting Kevin and Lon in person will help too.

I think we have a good shot at the kid. Dad's here, mom's going to be happy to have him close, our facilities are still 1st class, and meeting Kevin and Lon in person will help too.
I totally get this! Still, I wouldnt choose UNLV over Creighton for basketball. No guarantee that his dad stays at UNLV for awhile either. And this scenario doesnt consider that he will likely get more big offers.

I see your point at the same time would he get the minutes he wants here.
I totally get this! Still, I wouldnt choose UNLV over Creighton for basketball. No guarantee that his dad stays at UNLV for awhile either. And this scenario doesnt consider that he will likely get more big offers.
We definitely would not have a chance if not for his Dad being here, but at least we have a chance. Creighton also has the center who put his name in the draft if he ends up staying with Creighton then that should give us a even better chance to land Brock

I see your point at the same time would he get the minutes he wants here.

We definitely would not have a chance if not for his Dad being here, but at least we have a chance. Creighton also has the center who put his name in the draft if he ends up staying with Creighton then that should give us a even better chance to land Brock
I don't see Brock starting over Kalib. Or Cottrell for that matter. If Cottrell has health issues, then maybe? But even in that scenario I would see us running both Boones, Hill, LuRod/Nowell, and whatever PG we can as starters. Hell, that may be our starting line up with a healthy Cottrell.
So he would be looking at bench minutes here too, IMO. Dude has a lot of promise, and I really like him as a player. But a true freshman isn't starting over a bunch of 5th year seniors. Big men, even the best ones, can really struggle as freshman.

Yeah no chance hes coming here lol. He will get drafted if he decides to stay in the draft so theres no reason to come here sadly. Good player though!
He got invited to the NBA draft combine so he at least has decent shot at being drafted. I suppose he is thinking if the NBA draft does not work out this year, showcase his talents at a bigger school to really make the nba push next year. He should only go to a school where he is the unquestioned starter.

I don't see Brock starting over Kalib. Or Cottrell for that matter. If Cottrell has health issues, then maybe? But even in that scenario I would see us running both Boones, Hill, LuRod/Nowell, and whatever PG we can as starters. Hell, that may be our starting line up with a healthy Cottrell.
So he would be looking at bench minutes here too, IMO. Dude has a lot of promise, and I really like him as a player. But a true freshman isn't starting over a bunch of 5th year seniors. Big men, even the best ones, can really struggle as freshman.
I believe no one knows how Cottrell will be able to handle minutes and I'm thinking that is why coaches are keeping an eye out for a big man. If Brock were to come I agree with you he would not start but I believe if he adjusts to the college game we could see line ups with him at center and Kaleb at power forward. It would be great for him to learn from the seniors play some minutes and play major minutes next year. I'm hoping his Dad being a college coach here sees the benefit of him getting experience this year with no pressure, and comes in strong next year. I think Creighton will definitely offer him a lot of minutes if their center goes pro. Anyway it will be interesting to see what happens with him.

With the transfer portal it would not matter if his Dad left. Brock would just transfer. I'm sure he will get more offers, but we definetly have a good check mark with his Dad being here.

With the transfer portal it would not matter if his Dad left. Brock would just transfer. I'm sure he will get more offers, but we definetly have a good check mark with his Dad being here.
Facts. It would be very easy for him to leave. I just dont think he would have a huge impact here with being just a depth piece and big body. He would have little film imo if he were to transfer. At least with Big Guard, he had some offensive bag that he displayed.

Vice's stock is at an all time high now and he will continue to get big offers. Also helps that Mike Miller was his coach and his brother in on the Creighton staff. Also not a guarantee that the school his dad leaves to has a good basketball team.

All in all, this situation is a little difficult to read because his dad just got the job at UNLV and who knows if CKK and him have even talked. My opinion is we go for a starting C like McLeod or Vanover (prefer McLeod) or we just roll with Kalib at the 5. I'm cool with either option. I was on board with Vice but I've definitely moved into the mindset that I want a starting caliber 5 right now. Figure out the depth pieces later.

I believe no one knows how Cottrell will be able to handle minutes and I'm thinking that is why coaches are keeping an eye out for a big man. If Brock were to come I agree with you he would not start but I believe if he adjusts to the college game we could see line ups with him at center and Kaleb at power forward. It would be great for him to learn from the seniors play some minutes and play major minutes next year. I'm hoping his Dad being a college coach here sees the benefit of him getting experience this year with no pressure, and comes in strong next year. I think Creighton will definitely offer him a lot of minutes if their center goes pro. Anyway it will be interesting to see what happens with him.
There will be plenty of minutes to be had his Soph season, unfortunately no one, not freshman really look past 1 year if they still have that transfer in their back pocket.

If his dad sticks around a few years, it does make it a different situation.

He does provide a different skillset, that could both hurt and potentially help him. I think part of the reason Jones got so little run last year, because he could not keep up with the pace that CKK wanted to play. Granted he is a limited player, but if we slowed it down he could have provided some minutes for fouls and rebounds. Hall struggled too, but at least his feet weren't stuck in the mud. Not sure how well Vice could keep up if we continued to run. We are definitely built to continue to push pace right now.

But it can be handy to have a big body against more traditional posts. Can't teach size

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT