ADVERTISEMENT

Are The SEC and Big 10 Considering "Relegation"

220reb

Rebel Legend
May 29, 2001
I'm hearing a lot of talk of relegation coming to college Football. I can see a few schools in each conference that will not fit into the new Super Conference model. It's been suggested that each school in conference will receive $75 -100 million per school with the new TV contract. How do you tell a Founding conference member that it's time to leave ?. Both leagues may be headed to court to settle this.

SEC: 1. Vanderbilt as they never spend money on football or facilities And continue to finish at the bottom of the conference every year

2. Mizzou is another SEC team that has done nothing since joining in 2012

3 . Mississippi state was a middle teir program but has struggled to stay above 500

Big 10

1. Illinois is very similar to Vanderbilt. They never win and Do not spend money on football facilities

2. Northwestern is in the same boat as Illinois and Vanderbilt but win 6 to 8 games a year. They are the highest Academic University in the conference

3. Indiana ??? Does not win in football but does spend major money on facilities. I think of them like a Midwest version of Kansas AKA "Basketball school"

4. Purdue: See Indiana and Kansas

The big 10 will continue to wait a decision from Notre Dame to join the conference. I believe at some point the 4 ACC schools (Clemson, North Carolina, Florida ST and Miami) will figure out a way to get out of their TV deals and in to the SEC.

Reactions: j. spilotro
Yeah but Illinois is a huge tv market(top 3 right behind NY and LA). Illinois football team stinks but if you want to boost value to ESPN, Fox, or whatever network pays the tv contract you want those numbers. This will be a big consideration as they continue consolidating into these super conferences. Tradition doesn't matter. Winning doesn't even matter that much. Is UCLA in because they're winning national titles left and right?

The cleaner way to leave the middling programs behind is to form a new league made up of the elite programs in attractive tv markets. Then you don't need to squabble about kicking out those schools. You just up and leave them. If anyone with balls at ESPN, Fox, or CBS comes up with the idea the Big 10 and SEC officials will know the same desperation their counterparts from the SWC, Big East, PAC, and Big 12 felt. That would be awesome.

I've always been in favor of relegation if it's implemented right. Reward the programs who are really working and getting better and drop the ones who are just there for the paycheck and don't care if they're competitive.

I don't see this happening at all, need easy wins in conference.
College Sports has ended for me, it's totally gone, I watch but I am caring less and less everyday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT