ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone here wanna join the American Conference?

RebelScrub

Making UNLV relevent again for locals
May 29, 2001
I know everyone wants to join the Pac 10 but I don’t want to join. They got years of being in their own bubble and quite frankly, All their fans would thumb their noses at being associated with us.

The American Conference would be a decent lateral move.

They got 2 dogs that I would never travel to under any circumstances..East Carolina and Temple. Philly is a freakin’ warzone and Mike Hamrick is/was still a douche so I would never visit East Carolina.

They got Cincy, Memphis and Houston and guess what, they only have 11 members. Yes, you heard that right. We could throw our collective thumbs at the mountain worst members and the pac 10 and what’s left of them..

Who’s down to join them? AMERICAN conference!!!!!

We can get players from Texas and Florida.

Reactions: VEGAS12THMAN
You are lost in your own world if you want to move to the AAC without investigating what teams are still going to be around next year. You listed Cincy, Memphis and Houston as being in the conference. Guess what, Cincinnati and Houston are gone in 2023 to be replace by Liberty, New Mexico State, and Sam Houston.

When UNLV decides to join the PAC, they’ll lead the conference in penalties per game for the first five or six years.
They absolutely received NO love at the Cal game..
That offensive pass interference call was as lame as it gets.

Reactions: Rashanir
My guess is the money to travel would be too much and only put the school in a deeper hole than it already is without any perceived benefit of conference status.

I would be wildly uninterested in UNLV joining the AAC.

UAB, FAU, UNCC are the incoming members east of texas... then they have like have of the d1a irrelevant texas schools coming in. Losing UCF, Houston, and Cincy.

If anything, I think MWC would be more likely to nab one or two AAC schools... but to be honest I don't think it's super likely to go either way.

I believe part of the TV money difference is that the schools get more in AAC, but they are responsible for their own broadcasts (when not on a larger network), so the extra money is *supposed* to help offset costs.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
You are lost in your own world if you want to move to the AAC without investigating what teams are still going to be around next year. You listed Cincy, Memphis and Houston as being in the conference. Guess what, Cincinnati and Houston are gone in 2023 to be replace by Liberty, New Mexico State, and Sam Houston.
Memphis is still there.

NMSU, SHSU, and Liberty are all going to C-USA, I believe.

But losing Cincy, Houston, and UCF makes this even less appealing an option (even with those teams I'd rather be in MWC).

This sounds crazy but if not PAC or Big 12, and MWC said you gotta go, I'd rather UNLV join the WAC. Conference fb games in St George, Cedar City, several in Texas... basketball conference games in Seattle, Phoenix, Orem. Potentially Flagstaff in the future.

Especially with their intention of rejoining fbs with several ASUN teams... would give UNLV an opportunity to reset almost before rising back to fbs

Reactions: RebelScrub
Wouldn't make much sense to jump unless the money was high enough to justify all of the added costs with travel for every sport.

It doesn't make sense geographically, the markets/teams are much better to create a signficant improvement in TV money, though I think their current contract is better than the MW.

The onlyway if this happens if explansion raids the MW, we are on the outside looking in, and we merge with the AAC to create something new.

Dude let’s go backwards..

Weber St, Barstow State, Grand Canyon University..

We need 4 more schools!!

It doesn't make sense geographically, the markets/teams are much better to create a signficant improvement in TV money, though I think their current contract is better than the MW.

The onlyway if this happens if explansion raids the MW, we are on the outside looking in, and we merge with the AAC to create something new.
TV Money is overrated. Nobody watches TV anymore!!

• Haha
Reactions: Couev
Lol... We aren't making lateral moves. Look at the staff and the $$ being spent to have recognized coaches in Vegas and ask yourself, "they sure sound like an AAC team"... no these moves and spending are all about finalizing a move to a TV rich conference and using our P5 level facilities to join the big boys. I know alot of people think that's a "pipe dream" but that's the reality of what's happening regardless of some folks opinions that we offer nothing, simply because we haven't had success.

Lol... We aren't making lateral moves. Look at the staff and the $$ being spent to have recognized coaches in Vegas and ask yourself, "they sure sound like an AAC team"... no these moves and spending are all about finalizing a move to a TV rich conference and using our P5 level facilities to join the big boys. I know alot of people think that's a "pipe dream" but that's the reality of what's happening regardless of some folks opinions that we offer nothing, simply because we haven't had success.
I know you're talking about more than just coaches salary... but last season, $2.7m/year got you the lowest 2 pac 12 earning coaches at UA and WSU. AAC ranges from Taggart at 750k through $5m. Most around at or near $2m/year.

Like I said, I know you are talking about more than just coaches salaries, and I agree with your point as a whole. But we would be middle of the AAC in head coach salary and lowest in the pac 12.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT