ADVERTISEMENT

$ 8 Million

It does not say the name of the school but, would anybody be surprised if it was a from a Special Education Conference school ?

Reactions: bcvegaspt
With this kind of money, it is time that they start paying their own way through college since they are now paid professionals!

With this kind of money, it is time that they start paying their own way through college since they are now paid professionals!
They can just take it out on loan, it’ll be forgiven.

But seriously, if something like this doesn’t make you feel a little worse about our chances at competing high level … they opened Pandora’s Box. Old “cheating” can now happen legally and it makes me think the new cheating will be even steeper for us to compete.

Reactions: TimothyC3
It is very likely that 98% of these players would have never been able to make a pro-football team after college, and now they are going to start paying these amount of cash while the universities increase the tuition and make regular students pay athletic fees to subsidize athletes? When will the students and tax paying citizens start to file lawsuits to end any subsidy of college sports for what are now pro-athletes?

Reactions: CRhodes1983
$8M is why my interest in “amateur” sports is decreasing minute by minute..
This doesn’t even slightly resemble what we grew up watching. Two way loyalty (coach/player), pride …. Used to be much higher.

Now it’s mercenary recruiting, essentially free agency, rosters spinning like the lucky wheel … it’s so …. Impersonal now.

Anybody who thinks college sports were amateur, any time after 1900, I have a bridge to sell you.
Players have always got rewards. The blue bloods pay more. Always have, always will.

Reactions: dcut03
This doesn’t even slightly resemble what we grew up watching. Two way loyalty (coach/player), pride …. Used to be much higher.

Now it’s mercenary recruiting, essentially free agency, rosters spinning like the lucky wheel … it’s so …. Impersonal now.
You're literally cheering for a logo.

It would be interesting to see the entire contract. Performance clause? Early exit rebates? etc. etc.

I'm making a prediction...

Women's sports will make a stink at some point.

'But our women's team won more games'

'Our leading scorer avg more points per game and deserves just as much'...

I've made this argument with scholarly types that complain about athletic scholarships and think it unfair.

If you can get 65k people to pack an auditorium to watch you dissect a frog you should get a scholarship..And any revenue from T-Shirts sold bearing your likeness dissecting said frog.

If the Rebels ever draw 65,000 people, then that stuff will make a difference.
Gender? C'mon.
This is Vegas. Unless you can show how to make $10 million for the hotel industry, forget about any $8 million.
Male, female, whatever.

If the Rebels ever draw 65,000 people, then that stuff will make a difference.
Gender? C'mon.
This is Vegas. Unless you can show how to make $10 million for the hotel industry, forget about any $8 million.
Male, female, whatever.

Oh for sure..

But I'm not talking UNLV..

My point is big picture..

South Carolina won the women's basketball tournament back to back I believe.

If South Carolina has a chance to grab a 5* male player and pays him let's say 1 million in an NIL deal, you don't think the women's team or players aren't going to ask for an equal share?

We already saw it in soccer.

I'm saying at some point those not getting the money are going to want a piece of it...

If a booster is willing to give a women's basketball player the same money cool. No issue with it.

But we both know it's unlikely. And because its it's unlikely to happen, there will be grumblings about NIL inequality..

My main point being, it will be impossible to limit this to just football/basketball.

At some point Olympic sports like track or swimming are going to say they work just as hard. Women's player of the year is going to argue or say she should be compensated equally..

I'll bet you 100 imaginary dollars this comes up in the next two years...

Last edited:
Reactions: NSU67
SALARY CAP. It will come not because we can't compete but because lower end P5 schools will revolt. "It's not fair" isn't just for the non P5 schools, give it time.

I would combine that with women's sports crying foul as well..I'm honestly not trying to make a commentary on some culture war, but I think we'll see some push back from female athletes.

Easiest way I can frame it..

If you draw/generate same revenue you should get 'paid' equally.

I think you are right there will be some kind of cap created or some system that spreads that money out between men'/women's athletics as well as Olympics sports.

Swimming team at UCLA or whatever is like where's our cut? We practice just as many hours a week...

If we go by how much money sports bring in, 300 D1 schools are toast.
Michigan earns more in one football game than 75% of schools make in a season.
We must understand the creeping strength of the P5. Rest of D1 revolts?
P5 will help them pack their bags.
If men should make more money because they bring in more, then it follows that the athletes at rich schools should also.
This NIL can of worms is laced with poison.

Im sorry 8 million is a terrible investment.

This is the wild west of NIL. People are trying to figure this out and mistakes will be made.

Think about "sure fire" NFL prospects that flame out and lose marketability.

College sports are huge, but pro sports still crush them and nationwide marketability only goes to people that prove it at the highest level of competition.

I can totally see occasional big time contracts for college players, but definitely the exception to the rule.

I can see donor money going to players vs the school in general however.

Reactions: reagan21
Im sorry 8 million is a terrible investment.

This is the wild west of NIL. People are trying to figure this out and mistakes will be made.

Think about "sure fire" NFL prospects that flame out and lose marketability.

College sports are huge, but pro sports still crush them and nationwide marketability only goes to people that prove it at the highest level of competition.

I can totally see occasional big time contracts for college players, but definitely the exception to the rule.

I can see donor money going to players vs the school in general however.

People with that type of money typically want a 'return' on their investment...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT