ADVERTISEMENT

2024 QB Karson Gordon decommits

lobbybuu

Retired Number
Dec 29, 2022
It's official now. It's pretty late in the cycle to grab a QB but there's a certain one that I think we will go after now that's committed to a P5 school.

Last edited:
It's official now. It's pretty late in the cycle to grab a QB but there's a certain one that I think we will go after now that's committed to a P5 school.
I thought we had another QB commit. Bo something. Did we lose him too?

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Do we need a high level commit with our freshman QB looking all the part of a long term starter? I get we need an able back up but in an age of transfers and NIL I’m skeptical that we should expect a high recruit to come sit the bench behind JM. Moreover I question whether we should be recruiting over JM as a local product who is more likely to stick with the program rather than bolt for a P4 school. Am I missing something?

Do we need a high level commit with our freshman QB looking all the part of a long term starter? I get we need an able back up but in an age of transfers and NIL I’m skeptical that we should expect a high recruit to come sit the bench behind JM. Moreover I question whether we should be recruiting over JM as a local product who is more likely to stick with the program rather than bolt for a P4 school. Am I missing something?
Schools usually recruit a QB every cycle. We didn't recruit over Maiava and him and every QB on the roster understands that QBs are recruited annually.

Twitter told me that schools would come after Maiava this offseason. It's always a possibility that a QB gets hurt or leaves so it's a must to have bodies on the roster.

Ah yes.
Bo was 2023, Karson was 2024.
Ah yes. thank you.

Seems like we have some depth at QB already. I would imagine we lose Doug. Friel should have left 2 years ago, but hasn't not sure if he is happy in his role here.

Having another guy for depth is good, but unseating Jaden may be tough. That might scare off some prospects.

Not saying that is the case with Gordon. UCLA is a big opportunity, or B1G opportunity I should say, with probably much better benefit$. Not sure their QB situation, but there is a good chance that you are going to sit the bench for a while, might as well do it at UCLA.

I'll put this out there now.

Karson is a world-class athlete and the #1 triple jumper in the nation. He can pursue that at UCLA. He has a great chance at being an Olympian and this is his ultimate goal. Being in Westwood allows him to chase that & play football.

This has nothing to do with Maiava, Garbers, or Moore.

Last edited:
I wish him success in all aspects of life going forward in everything except games vs UNLV or USC.

Schools usually recruit a QB every cycle. We didn't recruit over Maiava and him and every QB on the roster understands that QBs are recruited annually.

Twitter told me that schools would come after Maiava this offseason. It's always a possibility that a QB gets hurt or leaves so it's a must to have bodies on the roster.
Twitter is also full of nut jobs... LOL,

But really, Maiava is a local kid, I know he went to Hawaii and came back, but if there's ever a kid to stay and build something special, hes that guy. I imagine he will get the NIL treatment that a QB1 deserves this offseason from our collective.

Bo Edmundson from Lake Travis HS. Injured his senior year, watching his films, he has a great arm, touch. Lake Travis is a Texas powerhouse. Karson has a great deal of talent and speed. He'll get a good shot with his speed and athleticism. Edmundson is more like Maiava in terms of long passing ability.

Did anyone else hear the announcers of last game casually mention that Brum didn’t make the trip with the team. Did I hear that right? Would that be for injury or is pulling a James Harden?

It is very true that he did not make the trip with the team. You can guess why.
That’s what it seemed like. Wow, Captain of the team until things don’t go your way. No knowledge of the situation but I’m sure his camp is in his ear so not making a judgement on the young man. Adults are the worst about this stuff.

But it’s unfortunate because we went from having quality depth to no depth at the QB. And no, Friel is not the answer.

That’s what it seemed like. Wow, Captain of the team until things don’t go your way. No knowledge of the situation but I’m sure his camp is in his ear so not making a judgement on the young man. Adults are the worst about this stuff.

But it’s unfortunate because we went from having quality depth to no depth at the QB. And no, Friel is not the answer.
He's an adult...
Sure hes got people that "handle" him I guess thats what athletes have these days, but if he wanted to redshirt, thats fine, but not even being there for your team because you lost your starting job doesn't seem like a good leader. Whatever the decision he makes at the end of the day and the reasons are all his, but you still show up for your teammates.

I guess but I imagine he’s “looking for a new job”
For fall 2024
Exactly. You only travel 70 guys, so you aren’t going to bring a QB that has informed you that he is leaving and will not be playing the rest of the year.

Reminds me of a story when my brother was playing. One of his buddies on the team one year didn’t always make the travel roster, for the Reno game he was told that he did. So His parents booked flights to watch him play. As the team was getting on the buses to head to the airport for their flight to Reno this kid was pulled aside and told that he shouldn’t have been on the list they had forgot someone else that should have been. So he didn’t go, but his parents did.

Last edited:
He can transfer now, redshirt this season and be able to play next fall.
He can still transfer at the end of the season without a redshirt. Everyone gets a free one and he has been here since his freshman season(s).

Redshirt this season if he doesn’t play more than 4 games.
ah yes. So perhaps 2 more years since he is a junior.
It feels like he has been here forever, has he redshirted officially yet? Everyone got the free COVID year, so I guess maybe not?

Can't he still travel, not play, and save his redshirt?

Understand not playing, but don't understand why he can't travel with the team.
Selfishness..

His body was not in it. Now his brain and heart aren’t in it. Awful combination.

The writing was on the wall. He lost the starting job last year against Reno.

The program moved on.

Let us look at the recruits UNLV collected commitments from. Some of them I have doubt about

Melvin Laster: Is he a legit 4 stars recruit? His freshman year highlights he already looks like a grown man. He has the perfect height and weight for a great MLB position.

Damien McDaniel: He played both WR and DB in his HS highlight films. He is a good receiver. He is a devastatingly effective DB. The kid's stretches like Plastic-man. I hope he decides to play as a DB at the college level.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT