ADVERTISEMENT

Question for Rebel Fans

I don't know if it is fair to set the bar for a statue, or any other memorial, from Tark.

Remember Tark had his Jersey retired, then a court named after him, then a statue.

I agree Odom needs to be a long termer to get something put up in his name. But I don't think a Natty is necessarily the bar, especially where it is nearly impossible for football unless you are an ELITE POWER school.
For consideration.... in like 8-10 years, UNLV will be playing for a different national championship than SEC and Big 10 teams anyway.

I think I like Barry Odom Field at Allegiant Stadium

Question for Rebel Fans

Not to mention, where would you put the statue, in front of the practice facility? Cant do it at the stadium..
Does the exterior access point at Wildcat Park still exist with the new building? Or did that get eaten up with the FFC? But ya know, in 20 years when it's statue time, might be another good spot somewhere for it!

Agree with everything else. Sustained top-tier success is the only time the statue conversation should be really going. Love what Odom did in year one, but we aren't at statue yet.

Question for Rebel Fans

I know who youre talking about, and I know he likes to drive alot of conversation from a self appointed Pedestal to alot of Rebel fans who werent around during the "good ole day"...

That said, I dont think you build a statue just because he's done something other coaches here havent.. I mean it took Tark how many years to get a statue built and he won a freaking national championship. So if thats the bar youve set, you cant lower it for winning or even qualifying for the CFP.. Not to mention, where would you put the statue, in front of the practice facility? Cant do it at the stadium.. but besides that, theres a bar for building statues. just simply winning games unless its for like 30 years wouldnt meet that bar.
I don't know if it is fair to set the bar for a statue, or any other memorial, from Tark.

Remember Tark had his Jersey retired, then a court named after him, then a statue.

I agree Odom needs to be a long termer to get something put up in his name. But I don't think a Natty is necessarily the bar, especially where it is nearly impossible for football unless you are an ELITE POWER school.

Question for Rebel Fans

I know who youre talking about, and I know he likes to drive alot of conversation from a self appointed Pedestal to alot of Rebel fans who werent around during the "good ole day"...

That said, I dont think you build a statue just because he's done something other coaches here havent.. I mean it took Tark how many years to get a statue built and he won a freaking national championship. So if thats the bar youve set, you cant lower it for winning or even qualifying for the CFP.. Not to mention, where would you put the statue, in front of the practice facility? Cant do it at the stadium.. but besides that, theres a bar for building statues. just simply winning games unless its for like 30 years wouldnt meet that bar.

Question for Rebel Fans

I knew the program was bad, I didn't know we were build a statue after one bowl appearance bad.

I would pump the brakes on the statue talk myself. Let's make back to back bowl games, see how long he stays here and what the long term success is. If he gets us good enough that we get a Big 12 invite then hell we can build a status and name the airport after him instead of that crook Reid. But we are a ways from that.
If Odom gets us into the Big 12, or long term recognition so great we genuinely supercede conference affiliation, the we get the man a statue

Question for Rebel Fans

In our short time on X it has looked like there are quite a lot of disagreements in the community on sports topics and takes, but some of the exchanges seem very personal? We are not insiders there nor are we a hundred percent tuned into the basketball side of things. It seems like a lot of personal shots come out and arguments begin when basketball is discussed. We saw a discussion about Coach Odom getting a statue here in the future and some people freaked out. Can anyone break it down?
I knew the program was bad, I didn't know we were build a statue after one bowl appearance bad.

I would pump the brakes on the statue talk myself. Let's make back to back bowl games, see how long he stays here and what the long term success is. If he gets us good enough that we get a Big 12 invite then hell we can build a status and name the airport after him instead of that crook Reid. But we are a ways from that.

Bowls projection

The fact they put Liberty in the playoffs says everything about the projections. Oregon beat them 45-6 in there bowl game, and they have a schedule that is full of teams that couldn't win a single game in the MWC.
Campbell (5-6) Lower Division
NM State 10-5 (lost to liberty for conf winner - game was tied going into the 4th) lost to Hawaii, blown out by Fresno State, won a close game verse NM
UTEP (3-9) lost by 17 to UNLV at home
East Carolina (2-10)
App State (9-5)
FIU (4-8)
Kennesaw St (3-6) Lower division
Jax State (9-4)
Middle Tenn (4-8)
UMass (3-9)
WKU (8-5)
Sam Houston (3-9)
I thought the same thing when I saw Liberty in there: With that weak-a$$ schedule, they could run the table and still be very much undeserving. The MW champ with one or two losses, would be more deserving.

Houston Game

I think UNLV will be hard to scout for also though, since they don't have any video of our new QB's, and how they'll be incorporated into the system. I expect it to look quite a bit different than last year due to having a much bigger threat of the QB running.
I agree, our offense could look very different with a mobile QB, but at least many of the formations will be the same.

I just think that we can't just write off Houston, they have a quality coach in a recruiting hotbed, one of the best in the country. They will be a question mark. Now they won't be challenging for a B12 title likely, but they could easily win more than 3-4 games as some were saying. It just hard to say. No one had us winning 9 games last year with a first year coach.
Reactions: LVRebel2000

Bowls projection

The fact they put Liberty in the playoffs says everything about the projections. Oregon beat them 45-6 in there bowl game, and they have a schedule that is full of teams that couldn't win a single game in the MWC.
Campbell (5-6) Lower Division
NM State 10-5 (lost to liberty for conf winner - game was tied going into the 4th) lost to Hawaii, blown out by Fresno State, won a close game verse NM
UTEP (3-9) lost by 17 to UNLV at home
East Carolina (2-10)
App State (9-5)
FIU (4-8)
Kennesaw St (3-6) Lower division
Jax State (9-4)
Middle Tenn (4-8)
UMass (3-9)
WKU (8-5)
Sam Houston (3-9)

Houston Game

It will be tough to know how good Houston is. First year head coach , but somone who has been very good throughout his career at several levels. Not sure about their recruiting/style of play/player retention.

I think it is probably to our favor that we play them first, given that it will probably take time for them to gel. But they will be hard to scout/prepare for.

I'll be there either way!
I think UNLV will be hard to scout for also though, since they don't have any video of our new QB's, and how they'll be incorporated into the system. I expect it to look quite a bit different than last year due to having a much bigger threat of the QB running.

OT: Hypocrisy in politics

I didn't watch, since politics isn't my cup of tea, but I did see some clips on Twitter.

I know that both sides will claim victory but holy hell the clips I saw of Biden made him look really bad. Trump saying - I'm not sure what he said, he's not sure, either - or something to that effect, was the one that I kept seeing on Twitter. Maybe Biden did well otherwise, and maybe Trump insulted the masses in only the way Trump can, but I don't know how we move forward with Biden. But the same with Trump since he can piss people off (although I'm much happier with $2/gallon gas).

Who else can we have moving forward? This is like watching the first game of the Menzies era seeing the DRASTIC drop in talent and having no optimism for leadership for the upcoming season (4 years in politics).
iu

It was bad
  • Haha
Reactions: bcvegaspt

OT: Hypocrisy in politics

I didn't watch, since politics isn't my cup of tea, but I did see some clips on Twitter.

I know that both sides will claim victory but holy hell the clips I saw of Biden made him look really bad. Trump saying - I'm not sure what he said, he's not sure, either - or something to that effect, was the one that I kept seeing on Twitter. Maybe Biden did well otherwise, and maybe Trump insulted the masses in only the way Trump can, but I don't know how we move forward with Biden. But the same with Trump since he can piss people off (although I'm much happier with $2/gallon gas).

Who else can we have moving forward? This is like watching the first game of the Menzies era seeing the DRASTIC drop in talent and having no optimism for leadership for the upcoming season (4 years in politics).
The job done not personalities is what is important. Easy choice in regards to who the economy worked better under.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT