ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN 2024 player sleeper picks - DE Antonio Doyle Jr.

My feeling is they are putting to much respect on Boise State and Fresno State while putting out the QB as a major loss for UNLV. While I do believe Jayden Maiava did a great job as a freshman for UNLV, I also believe that the QB's battle between Hajj-Malik Williams, Matthew Sluka, and Cameron Friel well end up ending with a QB that is far more experienced and better than Jayden Maiava was as a freshman. https://www.fox5vegas.com/video/202...head-coach-close-naming-starting-quarterback/
I love Jayden Maiava just about anybody here but the kid is a self defeatist. He make a mistake and he cry in the sideline. Not a good look when you are the QB1. Talented yes but young and immature...but of course, the kid was a freshman.
Reactions: Rebel1986

Is anyone surprised by this?

I mean, money certainly played a part... But thats not the only reason. Again, there appears to have been some politics of personalities involved I think with differences not being able to be resolved that also led him to look around, not just $$$. It makes you wonder who we wouldve been able to bring in to compete with him, Im not sold that Hajj or Sluka despite hoping they will be really good this year for us, would've unseated him as the incumbent QB... and Im not sure we were on many mid-tier QB's boards as destinations.
The other part of that equation was that Maiava wasn't the best fit for this offense. Which I am sure was at least a contributing factor to whatever issues that JM and Marion may have had. So if his goal was to make it to the NFL, his chances may have been reduced here simply due to that fact.
Reactions: LVRebel2000

15 days

I think it’ll be announced during the last week of practices … announcing it instead of a surprise might have a more settling effect.

I’m sure coaches and players have their own ideas with who is leading …. But I honestly don’t think they really know yet.

I’m interested in leash since they are supposedly so close. We don’t know that about Odom/Marion. Maiava was forced in, how long would they have ridden Doug if he wasn’t hurt? We just don’t know the mindset/philosophy of that type situation. Based on the way he’s managed games and the program, I think it’s reasonable to think that he will pick his guy and stick with him until it’s clear the current guy can’t cut it. I don’t think he will platoon it and assess things series by series. I don’t think he will say - game one, down 14-3 at the half with two interceptions, let’s make the switch.

But I could be wrong. That’s one of the things I’m interested in seeing.

Ofc, we all want whoever is picked to hit the ground running, put up big numbers, lead UNLV to victory, no injuries, no controversy …
Yeah, I mean in that first scenario is the case, does the second guy get the start vs Utah Tech, and does that mean hes also assured the start vs KU? Theres not a lot of time to access a change at that point because based on tape weve seen, Utah Tech is about the competition that both faced in their first couple seasons. But Kansas- a top 25 team in Kansas City? and then what if the 2nd struggles there, yeah, maybe were 1-2 heading into Syracuse and then a big Conference opener against Fresno, but are you switching back or are you riding out the change... Its a slippery slope
Reactions: j. spilotro

I think he did it to get paid. If Riley says hey you are my back up for the next 3 years but you will be able to learn from me and there is no money attached to that then he stays.
I mean, money certainly played a part... But thats not the only reason. Again, there appears to have been some politics of personalities involved I think with differences not being able to be resolved that also led him to look around, not just $$$. It makes you wonder who we wouldve been able to bring in to compete with him, Im not sold that Hajj or Sluka despite hoping they will be really good this year for us, would've unseated him as the incumbent QB... and Im not sure we were on many mid-tier QB's boards as destinations.

ESPN 2024 player sleeper picks - DE Antonio Doyle Jr.

Anyone have some extra money laying around?

UNLV +650 seems like a good bet.

My feeling is they are putting to much respect on Boise State and Fresno State while putting out the QB as a major loss for UNLV. While I do believe Jayden Maiava did a great job as a freshman for UNLV, I also believe that the QB's battle between Hajj-Malik Williams, Matthew Sluka, and Cameron Friel well end up ending with a QB that is far more experienced and better than Jayden Maiava was as a freshman. https://www.fox5vegas.com/video/202...head-coach-close-naming-starting-quarterback/

8.5 BILLION for UNLV??

There should be a lease payment to UNLV somewhere in the proposal. Have no idea what it is. Also, the article mentioned about a training facility and internships for UNLV. I think that with the $8.5 billion to be spent that creates 7,500 positions as well as the proposals for two other studios, the movie industry should get tax credits.
Why should they get tax breaks? How much are those tax breaks? What benefit does it bring to those of us who do pay taxes? How much of a financial impact will it be on the tax payers and citizens of this state for bringing in jobs? If they are getting tax breaks, who is paying for the impact of the traffic in the southwest area of town that already has major road infrastructure issues in the area around the UNLV research center? Tax breaks are typically provided to bring in a new industry to the area that may go somewhere else, but in this case they are coming in after the door was already opened by the Sony Movie studio.

The Sony Movie Studio is Summerlin, which includes backing by Mark Wahlberg and Sony, hasn't asked for a special tax break, and hasn't put a condition on coming to Las Vegas being based on getting a tax break. Why are things different for WB Studios? It is obvious that they are piggy backing off the work done by Mark Wahlberg and are using UNLV in an attempt to justify getting a tax break.
Reactions: 1Tripoda

People are acting that JM transferred just to get paid. I don't think that is the case. He went to go play for the best QB producer in all of college football, a coach that has produced multiple high level NFL quarterbacks. UNLV hasn't had an NFL QB since Randall Cunningham.
Sure he will get paid, but he gets to play and to tutored by Lincoln Riley, and it looks like he is one play away from the being the starter at USC. He also is slated to be their QB of future unless he gets recruited over ( which I do admit is a very high possibility).
Some think JM has zero NFL potential, I don't think so. I think going to USC and getting coached by Riley will maximize whatever NFL prospects that he has.
Worse case he gets a nice paycheck as a back up. Another likely case he gets paid to be a QB at a P4 school as a transfer elsewhere. Best case he is the guy at USC, also getting paid, likely more than he is this year.
Maiaiva was not some random diamond in the rough. He was a solid HS recruit that had legit interest from some P4 schools.
I think he did it to get paid. If Riley says hey you are my back up for the next 3 years but you will be able to learn from me and there is no money attached to that then he stays.

People are acting that JM transferred just to get paid. I don't think that is the case. He went to go play for the best QB producer in all of college football, a coach that has produced multiple high level NFL quarterbacks. UNLV hasn't had an NFL QB since Randall Cunningham.
Sure he will get paid, but he gets to play and to tutored by Lincoln Riley, and it looks like he is one play away from the being the starter at USC. He also is slated to be their QB of future unless he gets recruited over ( which I do admit is a very high possibility).
Some think JM has zero NFL potential, I don't think so. I think going to USC and getting coached by Riley will maximize whatever NFL prospects that he has.
Worse case he gets a nice paycheck as a back up. Another likely case he gets paid to be a QB at a P4 school as a transfer elsewhere. Best case he is the guy at USC, also getting paid, likely more than he is this year.
Maiaiva was not some random diamond in the rough. He was a solid HS recruit that had legit interest from some P4 schools.
Reactions: RRebel and reagan21

8.5 BILLION for UNLV??

if we can build a film school also with their backing would only increase $ for UNLV.
There should be a lease payment to UNLV somewhere in the proposal. Have no idea what it is. Also, the article mentioned about a training facility and internships for UNLV. I think that with the $8.5 billion to be spent that creates 7,500 positions as well as the proposals for two other studios, the movie industry should get tax credits.

I agree it was the right move, but he didn't transfer to not play until his senior (or Jr. redshirt) season. It's the
Uiagalelei way. I wish the best for Maiava. Gave us a very good season, he's "from" Vegas, and he didn't play for Gorman (sorry Joe). 3 very big plusses for me.

Now back to Sluka and Hajj.
He’s at liberty to transfer and get paid.

8.5 BILLION for UNLV??

The condition is a tax break for them. How much of a tax break and what does Clark County get for that tax break? The money is to build the studio, not for UNLV.

Boxing Thread

Loma is technically of of the best fighters in the last 25 years. But even 5 years ago Tank would have given him trouble. Tanks just so much bigger naturally. Plus Tank isn't some wild unskilled dude with power that Loma could pick apart. He's pretty sound defensively.

Would love to see Loma win, but I think he gives up to much size. Would need a damn near perfect performance.

(Wasn't knocking your post or take on the fight, sorry if it came off that way).

Just not sure it's so much an age thing vs a size thing. Loma wasn't a devastating puncher even at lower weights. Sharp puncher. Could get your attention, keep guys honest. Got his KOs through attrition typically. Tanks got a solid chin. I don't know if Loma can get his respect or even make him hesitant.

If he can get Tanks attention early, he's got a shot.

But I'm not sure he can.
I have Loma losing. It’ll be a master class in boxing though. I love watching Loma’s technical game. He’ll be one hell of a coach when he hangs them up.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT