ADVERTISEMENT

The bye week

Agreed. As of now, the best team that we've beaten is who?

Vanderbilt is #91 in CBS Sports rankings
Utep is #125
Hawaii is #117
Bryant is FCS

The next two games, we have:
UNR is #132 out of 133 teams
Colorado St is #94.

Good on us for winning games, but until we beat some better teams, we have not shot at top 25. Unless we're absolutely crushing people maybe.

Beating Fresno State could get us in the "receiving votes" category.
I'm fine with us having an easy schedule if it results in us going to a bowl game. It's certainly a step forward and will give us building blocks for next year. With more experience and advances in recruiting we can build up the schedule.

I agree wholeheartedly. This has always been my biggest problem with the rankings. IMO, they should wait until 2-3 weeks into the season to put out the first rankings. You can't always know how good or bad a team will be before the season starts.

Perfect example is LSU this year. They started the season ranked #5 in the country. They went out and got whooped by #8 Florida State. They followed that up by beating Grambling, and the Mississippi State convincingly. Miss St. isn't terrible, but they're a mid-level SEC team, so no huge accomplishment. Then they barely scraped by Arkansas, 34-31, and last week got beat by Ole Miss.

Is that the resume of a top 25 team? A 3-2 record with your best win vs. Arkansas, while losing to both of the top 25 teams you've played.

I'm not saying they're a bad team by any means, but currently they're ranked #23 mostly due to the fact that they started the year at #5.
I agree. I said in another thread a few weeks ago I didn't think Fresno would be ranked but then they got ranked the next day, lol. I think it's even more an issue with G5 teams than P5 teams. I expect them especially in the SEC to be over inflated based on name alone. But G5 get less eye balls by voters and all they do is look at box scores and record and 5-0 starting mid 30s or 40s and go "Yup, top 25"

I agree wholeheartedly. This has always been my biggest problem with the rankings. IMO, they should wait until 2-3 weeks into the season to put out the first rankings. You can't always know how good or bad a team will be before the season starts.

Perfect example is LSU this year. They started the season ranked #5 in the country. They went out and got whooped by #8 Florida State. They followed that up by beating Grambling, and the Mississippi State convincingly. Miss St. isn't terrible, but they're a mid-level SEC team, so no huge accomplishment. Then they barely scraped by Arkansas, 34-31, and last week got beat by Ole Miss.

Is that the resume of a top 25 team? A 3-2 record with your best win vs. Arkansas, while losing to both of the top 25 teams you've played.

I'm not saying they're a bad team by any means, but currently they're ranked #23 mostly due to the fact that they started the year at #5.

I think TCU is another great example. They lost a lot to graduation. But because they were in the title game last season they got slotted in the top 25 to start year.

Here's the funny thing about rankings. Say the stars align, Rebs win next three and are ranked 25th in the country. Say LSU loses another one and drops out of top 25.

Does anybody here think in a H2H Rebs could play with LSU? It probably looks a lot like Michigan.

We're getting ahead of ourselves a bit.

I'll be jacked if Rebs beat Reno obviously. If they beat CSU, I'll start really believing what I'm seeing, and that the Rebs are ahead of schedule. Beat Fresno? I'll have Barry Odom's child.

Last edited:
You make a good argument that Fresno State may be over ranked!

I haven’t seen them play, for those that have where would FSU be if they played in the Pac this year? 10th? We know they are better than ASU and probably Stanford. The PAC is stacked so probably battling for 9th or 10th, now do that with the other P5 leagues realistically where does FSU finish in those leagues?

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Rankings certainly is built off of momentum. It is hard to lose ground if you are winning. Initially the Purdue win looked good because it was on the road and so early in the season. ASU was not as big of a deal, but also on the road and early.
Honestly Fresno may not be a top 25 team. Many think Air Force is better.
If we keep improving and adding wrinkles offensively amd defensively, being more successful with the pass, limiting deep throws against us, I think we are capable of beating every team on our schedule.
On the flip side, it is hard to say. Until we play Fresno or Wyoming it will be hard to figure out how good we are. I'm confident that we are at least middle of the MW good. Ceiling? TBD

Rankings certainly is built off of momentum. It is hard to lose ground if you are winning. Initially the Purdue win looked good because it was on the road and so early in the season. ASU was not as big of a deal, but also on the road and early.
Honestly Fresno may not be a top 25 team. Many think Air Force is better.
If we keep improving and adding wrinkles offensively amd defensively, being more successful with the pass, limiting deep throws against us, I think we are capable of beating every team on our schedule.
On the flip side, it is hard to say. Until we play Fresno or Wyoming it will be hard to figure out how good we are. I'm confident that we are at least middle of the MW good. Ceiling? TBD
And I think that's the correct argument to make. We know how we perform vs bad teams, so far buisness as expected.. but out of our remaining games, only 3 are against not bad teams, lol.. take care of buisness against the bad ones, ultimately we do that, we're having a great year under the first season of a HC, something we've not done.. I'd like a few upsets just to really see what we've got but I've also been more for holding FB program to higher standards and want to really change the trajectory long term by winning fast and now, lol

I'm fine with us having an easy schedule if it results in us going to a bowl game. It's certainly a step forward and will give us building blocks for next year. With more experience and advances in recruiting we can build up the schedule.
Agreed. It was important for us to get some momentum, even if that's against easier opponents. We need to be making bowl games yearly, and hopefully bottom out at 7-8 wins per season

Agreed. It was important for us to get some momentum, even if that's against easier opponents. We need to be making bowl games yearly, and hopefully bottom out at 7-8 wins per season
I like this! And even if we are 6-6 this year and next year, do you know what that would do for recruiting around here… a lot! Odom would be able to say to potential athletes, we are a bowl eligible program going forward and recruiting would improve as a result!

• Love
I don't think its all 100% about who we play or beat, but also the perceived talent level of a school like BSU. Who they feel they 'might' beat. They may only be playing teams in the top 60 to 100's, but they were perceived to be at a higher skill level clip. Think Rebel BB not many years ago when we were chilling in the top 20, sometimes even top 15/top 10 with CDR. Granted those schedules weren't exactly weak, but I think the roster hype had a lot to do with that.

We are in a better place imho, but the jury is still out for those casting votes that aren't direct fans at this point. Sample size needs to grow.

Do you personally agree with UNLV being ranked 8th? And this can be a question for everyone too
I don’t follow the rest of college football as closely as others so I don’t know if our ranking is justified. I do think that Wyoming should be ahead of us based on their recent good win.

On the other hand, it’s great to see us in these G5 polls! Usually we were on the CBS bottom 10 list (it was funny under its previous writer but it still pissed me off to see our name continuously).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT