ADVERTISEMENT

On to Fresno State

220reb

Rebel Legend
May 29, 2001
FRESNO had a bye this week. I am expecting this game to be really good. We have a lot of things to clean up this week in practice.

Take one of the next 3 and we're probably playing in the MW title game..

Take 2 and we're hosting...

Yeah, Imagine the MWC title game in Vegas.
Well, two of them. Next 3 are Fresno, New Mexico, and Wyoming. Air Force is the 4th

I think if we grab two of them (UNM and one other among Fresno and Air Force), you're right, we will be in it. Hosting would be tough without beating AFA. They play CSU, Army, Hawaii, UNLV, and Boise State. If not to us, they may not lose a game

Reactions: goraphareb
Definitely. It will show how legitimate we are. However, I’m still pessimistic that we pull it off in their home. Hopeful, but pessimistic.
Some of the refs got their hands greased last night from CSU. Maybe we can do some against Fresneck? Should we?

Some of the refs got their hands greased last night from CSU. Maybe we can do some against Fresneck? Should we?
I thought for the most part, refs called a decent game. They did miss a hold on a CSU TD and I feel the PI was really weak. At the same time, even if I thought the calls were poor, it’s not like they were off their rocker wrong .. you’ve seen them called both ways before. Nothing outside of extremes.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
No panic.

What I loved was they threw in a run play to make sure they got the first down and already had the 2nd play called. No wasting time looking over to sideline for next play.
I noticed that as well. Again, nice to have adults in the room.

Reactions: j. spilotro
glad I put money down before the QB announcement for Fresno. I still think he plays but he’s not 100%

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I haven't made a prediction all year and will not start now. But I will point out over the last 2 years Fresno hasn't exactly dominated UNLV. In 2022 and ranked at 24th in the nation FSU defeated UNLV 37-30 in Vegas. The year before or in 2021 Fresno defeated UNLV 38-30 at home.

I feel UNLV is a lot better than they were during the last two games with Fresno and I will leave it at that.

I haven't made a prediction all year and will not start now. But I will point out over the last 2 years Fresno hasn't exactly dominated UNLV. In 2022 and ranked at 24th in the nation FSU defeated UNLV 37-30 in Vegas. The year before or in 2021 Fresno defeated UNLV 38-30 at home.

I feel UNLV is a lot better than they were during the last two games with Fresno and I will leave it at that.
Yeah, but Chuck took it personally and unloaded, didn’t he?

Charles Williams, Tim. Anyway, there seems to be a lot of national interests in this UNLV vs Fresno game. 5th most important game this weekend or interesting game? WTF

Yeah, but Chuck took it personally and unloaded, didn’t he?
Not really. Chuck graduated and didn’t play in the 37-30 loss last year. In the 2021 38-30 loss to Fresno Chuck ran for 102 yards and 1 TD.. Good but not unloading and does not account for the other 23 pts scored.

My point is that UNLV has kept it close with Fresno even with inferior coaching and probably less talent. Fresno is beatable.

Not really. Chuck graduated and didn’t play in the 37-30 loss last year. In the 2021 38-30 loss to Fresno Chuck ran for 102 yards and 1 TD.. Good but not unloading and does not account for the other 23 pts scored.

My point is that UNLV has kept it close with Fresno even with inferior coaching and probably less talent. Fresno is beatable.
They are definitely beatable but coming off a bye make it difficult for us.

One other point Fresno and UNLV have built their records playing opponents with similar won-loss records. This was pointed out on the Bark Board and before the win over CSU:

“UNLV 5-1, opponents combined 16-26. One game against team with winning record (Michigan).

Fresno State 6-1, opponents combined 14-32. One game against team with winning record, Wyoming.”

I hope we win but I'm thinking wins are going to be hard to come by from here on out. UNM is better than they have been but I still think we beat them. I don't see us beating Fresno, Wyoming, or AirForce. SJST is a toss up that we can beat but will be a tough match up. I do think Fresno will cover but not by much. Hopefully a 7-5 record and a bowl game helps improve UNLV's recruiting and we have a good improvement each year and we are the team on top of the mountain in the next couple of years.

One other point Fresno and UNLV have built their records playing opponents with similar won-loss records. This was pointed out on the Bark Board and before the win over CSU:

“UNLV 5-1, opponents combined 16-26. One game against team with winning record (Michigan).

Fresno State 6-1, opponents combined 14-32. One game against team with winning record, Wyoming.”
You bring up a good point. I first I thought " they probably beat better bad teams" (lol), when they really haven't,

Using CBS as reference for better or worse, these are their power rankings for their opponents.

ASU-103,
Purdue-79
Kent State 133 (worst in FBS)
Utah State 96
Reno- 128 ( common opponent)
Wyoming- 36 ( loss)

And they had to win in OT against Eastern Washington, a FCS team.

Their best win at Purdue is technically better than our best win with CSU at home (89),

We had to scrape out last minute victories with CSU and Vandy, but their Purdue and Utah States games were also close.

They definitely get some historical benefit of a doubt, especially after a very good season last year.

But take away the team names and look at this match up looking at how each team as faired this year, it is pretty even.

Last edited:
It’s why I had to jump once it got to Fresno State -9. Also made a small money line play, just in case.

In years past it was always a landslide of coach Tedford versus whoever we had coaching. Not so much anymore. Odom is a very good coach. Is it Saturday yet?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT