ADVERTISEMENT

The bye week

These things suck when you have things going the way you want ....

Agreed. I’d love it if out bye week was after Reno. Get to 5-1 and then 2 weeks to prepare for Colorado State at home for bowl eligibility.

Oh well.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Does anyone know why this game wasn't scheduled as last game of the season for either team?
I remember hearing something about Reno wanting it to be before the weather started to suck. Since they could draw fans for this game, putting it earlier in the year means it's more likely that the largest number of people will show up.

Not sure if that's actually it, but I stored that away in amusement from a few months ago.

Id love to see a breakdown of games coming off of a bye week. I dont buy that they hurt a team on a roll as much as people think they do. I bet Alabama has a pretty good record coming off of a bye. For them its a great week to rest, get healthy and get their heads right.

Does anyone know why this game wasn't scheduled as last game of the season for both teams?
It was requested by UNR since they’re kicking off their 150th year celebration that week. More reason to pound them into the ground on their home field. No doubt this game is UNR’s entire season and more meaningful than usual with the 150th plus wanting to put a stench on a potentially great season for UNLV. We need no let down.

Lack of focus and preparation??. I don't see this new coaching staff letting of the gas pedal.
I don’t think they’ll let up either.

But it’s one of those things to watch, they’re a new staff. Letdowns when there shouldn’t be, I mean.

Let’s be honest. We should manhandle them, even if they’re hyped for it.

I think we lose this game. Hope I'm wrong, but it's a game where it could be hard to get up for - even for a rivalry game.

On the other side of the ball, you have Reno. Hungry. Actually, desperate. Quite desperate. If they lose every game this year, at least they can say they beat the Rebels. This is usually us...so we should know.

I'm not feelin this game.

I think we lose this game. Hope I'm wrong, but it's a game where it could be hard to get up for - even for a rivalry game.

On the other side of the ball, you have Reno. Hungry. Actually, desperate. Quite desperate. If they lose every game this year, at least they can say they beat the Rebels. This is usually us...so we should know.

I'm not feelin this game.
But there’s a reason they lost 242 games straight and it’s not because they’re unlucky or apathetic.

It’s because they just suck.

Reactions: dcut03
1st quarter of game will be interesting. I fully expect Reno to pull out everything, reverses, gadget plays, take a bunch of shots down field.

Game will be close first half and Reno will be out of ideas.

Rebs should grind them down second half and we should see a score/flow of game similiar to UTEP.

1st quarter of game will be interesting. I fully expect Reno to pull out everything, reverses, gadget plays, take a bunch of shots down field.

Game will be close first half and Reno will be out of ideas.

Rebs should grind them down second half and we should see a score/flow of game similiar to UTEP.
Penalties have piled up a bit lately. The Rebs had been pretty clean early on. They gotta get back to that.

Even though we have admittedly beaten bad teams and this is just another one standing in front of us, it does feel different. More … I don’t know … just more steady … far less 3 and outs. They just sustain better. I mean, our 3rd down conversions have been strong and it’s with pass and run.

And I’m not going to lie - until it shows otherwise, I tend to have more confidence with experience, or a grown up in the room. Just gives a different feel.

I don’t want to be over amped vs UNR. I agree, we have to weather their early BS and just steadily pound them.

Penalties have piled up a bit lately. The Rebs had been pretty clean early on. They gotta get back to that.

Even though we have admittedly beaten bad teams and this is just another one standing in front of us, it does feel different. More … I don’t know … just more steady … far less 3 and outs. They just sustain better. I mean, our 3rd down conversions have been strong and it’s with pass and run.

And I’m not going to lie - until it shows otherwise, I tend to have more confidence with experience, or a grown up in the room. Just gives a different feel.

I don’t want to be over amped vs UNR. I agree, we have to weather their early BS and just steadily pound them.

What I do like as well is easy schedule or not Rebs have done the following.

Vandy game- Easy to forget they were down 17 and stormed back. They didn't blink. Past Rebel teams might have folded.

UTEP- No not a good team but how many times in years past have we said that and lost. And not just lost but been curb stomped. UTEP was bad and Rebs beat them like they should. And on the road.

Hawaii- Same as UTEP. Not a good team and Rebs beat them easily.

Last edited:

Agree...

I think Rebs win. But I don't think they pull away until late.

Reno lost 27-9 to a very good Fresno squad. Game was never in doubt but Fresno didn't exactly blow them out of the water either. Reno defense kept them in the game for awhile.

Rivalry game, long losing streak, UNR will be jacked up for this one.

Rebs will have to match that intensity. But also play under control as well. Don't get drawn into any stuff after the whistle.

I would not be shocked if a special teams play breaks an otherwise close game open. Blocked punt, punt/kick return or maybe just burying them with a great punt and forcing a quick turnover or a three and out for a short field.

There I brought up the kicking game you commies happy now?

I just sort of feel like we are past making those kinds of mistakes - the scary part about making the next step in the way we think is that there’s no blueprint for us to follow in terms of feeling consistent. I think we are going to absolutely torch Reno and it won’t even be particularly close. We are taking care of business and Odom is running the program like an SEC school.

Early prediction
Rebs 45
Meth Heads 17

Beat Fresno State and we would be..(If they are undefeated at the time)

Not sure 6-1 with schedule so far would get them there.
Win vs SEC team, only loss to a top 3 Michigan team...
Fresno beats a bad ASU and Mediocre Purdue and they're top 25, why wouldn't 6-1 get you in the "recieving votes" category at worse

My opinion is that our schedule is too easy with too many of the bottom twenty included.
Agreed. As of now, the best team that we've beaten is who?

Vanderbilt is #91 in CBS Sports rankings
Utep is #125
Hawaii is #117
Bryant is FCS

The next two games, we have:
UNR is #132 out of 133 teams
Colorado St is #94.

Good on us for winning games, but until we beat some better teams, we have not shot at top 25. Unless we're absolutely crushing people maybe.

Beating Fresno State could get us in the "receiving votes" category.

My opinion is that our schedule is too easy with too many of the bottom twenty included.
If you're going to put up who we played vs Fresnos...
Kent St. Is 133, Reno 132, ASU is 96, and Purdue is 58, and FCS EWU who they barely beat is 46th in FCS...

Theyre 5-0, so that's the separating factor but looking at their wins vs 2 bottom feeding P5s and 3 other bad teams is the only thing separating us from them...

Their SOS is 108, ours is 111... just for arguments sake...

If UNLV beats Fresno they would receive votes in the coaches poll from the FSU coach. In the AP Poll maybe? But they aren’t a top 30 team even if they beat Fresno.

Just in the P5 conferences there are at least 40 that are better, like there is no argument to make they are just better teams and you probably can say it’s at least 45, before you start arguing whether or not UNLV is better than the bottom feeders in those leagues. Then add in some G6 schools so maybe if UNLV were to beat Fresno you can start making an argument for Top 50.

Again, I refer you to the rankings...

FCS
Bryant is 65... EWU is 46
FBS
Michigan-L
UTEP+ Hawaii+Vandy > Kent St. + ASU + Nevada
Purdue is the only outlier because Fresno won their Big 10 game and we lost to top 5 team in Country...

Again, that's why our SOS is only 3 worse than Fresno. It's not like either of us have been playing even the top 50. They're ranked based on 5-0 combined with name recognition, not because they've pulled some big name upset or have just been dominating teams.

*this is all just for conversation purposes, I don't think either should be ranked.

FCS
FBS
Michigan-L
Purdue is the only outlier because Fresno won their Big 10 game and we lost to top 5 team in Country...

Again, that's why our SOS is only 3 worse than Fresno. It's not like either of us have been playing even the top 50. They're ranked based on 5-0 combined with name recognition, not because they've pulled some big name upset or have just been dominating teams.

*this is all just for conversation purposes, I don't think either should be ranked.

It's also based on where you entered the season and were slotted this year. Fresno was probably top 50. We were not.

Fresno finished last year on fire and ended up just outside the top 25.

FCS
FBS
Michigan-L

You make a good argument that Fresno State may be over ranked!

It's also based on where you entered the season and were slotted this year. Fresno was probably top 50. We were not.

Fresno finished last year on fire and ended up just outside the top 25.
I agree wholeheartedly. This has always been my biggest problem with the rankings. IMO, they should wait until 2-3 weeks into the season to put out the first rankings. You can't always know how good or bad a team will be before the season starts.

Perfect example is LSU this year. They started the season ranked #5 in the country. They went out and got whooped by #8 Florida State. They followed that up by beating Grambling, and the Mississippi State convincingly. Miss St. isn't terrible, but they're a mid-level SEC team, so no huge accomplishment. Then they barely scraped by Arkansas, 34-31, and last week got beat by Ole Miss.

Is that the resume of a top 25 team? A 3-2 record with your best win vs. Arkansas, while losing to both of the top 25 teams you've played.

I'm not saying they're a bad team by any means, but currently they're ranked #23 mostly due to the fact that they started the year at #5.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT