ADVERTISEMENT

I'm ecstatic

j. spilotro

Publisher
Staff
May 29, 2001
Las Vegas
unlv.rivals.com
And I'm not going to lie, I had a lot of difficulty sleeping last night in anticipation of this game. And they delivered. Nice to feel some adrenaline pumping for a change.

And I'm not going to lie, I had a lot of difficulty sleeping last night in anticipation of this game. And they delivered. Nice to feel some adrenaline pumping for a change.

I'm starting to think this isn't just a good UNLV team, but actually a good football team.

Bruh..we have a mother****in team. This is the best squad ever!!!

Time to make money off of em!!

OLIVER was the MVP this game. Interception and the deep pass deflection ,but yea on edge the whole game so use to losing and NEVER winning a meaningful game in FB. Can't wait to see what's next.
I should have filmed the interception, it was right in front of me!!

Bulldog sat with his homies. Most satisfying victory

I'm starting to think this isn't just a good UNLV team, but actually a good football team.
and that’s where I was having difficulty 5 or 6 or 7 games in. Eyes were telling me one thing (and you know I’m an eyeball guy) but the incredible failures of this never proud program were seared into my brain. Difficult to reconcile when it’s like that. It’s almost like an anti-optical illusion. Believe your eyes, not your brain, what you are seeing is right.

This is a good football team. By NCAA standards, not just UNLV standards.

And they’re a lot of fun to watch. To me, that matters a lot. It’s aesthetically pleasing. Game in and game out.

But what’s been satisfying to me isn’t just W’s and L’s. I like intangibles, immeasurable … I think they can tell a big part of the story.

These “little things” can be huge.

Notice Odom doesn’t get too up or too down - neither do the Rebels. That is VERY anti-UNLV history. Notice how they are poised, under control. Again, anti-UNLV. They are very focused. They make big plays instead of the opposition gifting. They actually tackle. They’re aggressive one both sides. They don’t point fingers. They haven’t been satisfied.

Those are hallmarks or program building.

Some of the best money UNLV is currently paying is for Arroyo to be watching the Rebels from his living room, probably punching his walls because he sees what a real coach can do.

It’s all of the little things. Skill players making the effort to blocking versus just olé-ing it. Second effort once first contact is made. In the first quarter DeJesus dove for a punt that would have rolled back another 10-15 yards. It resulted in a zero yard return for him but the net team result was 10-15 yards. That’s a first down.

and that’s where I was having difficulty 5 or 6 or 7 games in. Eyes were telling me one thing (and you know I’m an eyeball guy) but the incredible failures of this never proud program were seared into my brain. Difficult to reconcile when it’s like that. It’s almost like an anti-optical illusion. Believe your eyes, not your brain, what you are seeing is right.

This is a good football team. By NCAA standards, not just UNLV standards.

And they’re a lot of fun to watch. To me, that matters a lot. It’s aesthetically pleasing. Game in and game out.

But what’s been satisfying to me isn’t just W’s and L’s. I like intangibles, immeasurable … I think they can tell a big part of the story.

These “little things” can be huge.

Notice Odom doesn’t get too up or too down - neither do the Rebels. That is VERY anti-UNLV history. Notice how they are poised, under control. Again, anti-UNLV. They are very focused. They make big plays instead of the opposition gifting. They actually tackle. They’re aggressive one both sides. They don’t point fingers. They haven’t been satisfied.

Those are hallmarks or program building.

Some of the best money UNLV is currently paying is for Arroyo to be watching the Rebels from his living room, probably punching his walls because he sees what a real coach can do.
Yep this is a magical season. As you said this isn’t a UNLV good team, this is a nationally good team. I think of our last ball team as UNLV good. They are good for us and good for the conference, but never really felt they could compete against other good teams nationally. Absolutely feel differently about this one. Not that they’re going to beat Alabama, but they could compete against other good teams, like a James Madison or Liberty. They definitely passed that eye test and as you said, they are fun to watch!

Yep this is a magical season. As you said this isn’t a UNLV good team, this is a nationally good team. I think of our last ball team as UNLV good. They are good for us and good for the conference, but never really felt they could compete against other good teams nationally. Absolutely feel differently about this one. Not that they’re going to beat Alabama, but they could compete against other good teams, like a James Madison or Liberty. They definitely passed that eye test and as you said, they are fun to watch!
Don't sell them short... this team could absolutely compete with the back 10-15 teams in the top 25, not just non-P5s... I know Madison and Liberty are nice stories and undefeated but the AAC and whatever conference Madison plays in are not on the same level as even a down MWC...

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Don't sell them short... this team could absolutely compete with the back 10-15 teams in the top 25, not just non-P5s... I know Madison and Liberty are nice stories and undefeated but the AAC and whatever conference Madison plays in are not on the same level as even a down MWC...
And here’s the beauty ….

The foundation appears to be in place. You know how SDSU hoops doesn’t really have name players, they just plug and play … the expectations are known, players are recruited to the system, they may vary a bit year to year but you have a ballpark idea.

Odom appears to be doing that in year one.

Finish this year strong, with so many key returners - UNLV may be ranked top 25 to start next season.

What’s not to like unless you’re a hater?

It may have some deleterious effects on hoops. Focus shifting makes it easier in a sense, less pressure, but success with football can make people angry it’s not happening with basketball … AD made a home run hire, he’s gotta be on cloud nine … CKK isn’t his guy, Harp might view the opportunity as a chance to cement his future with an equivalent impact hire with hoops. Of course, CKK can battle against that with success, then we see the giant egg laid last week …

Interesting times at UNLV, but at least for once part of it involves actual non-slow growth success.

I think we could compete with the tail end of the top 25 depending on who. Tulane maybe UNC not ND and some of those schools.

And here’s the beauty ….

The foundation appears to be in place. You know how SDSU hoops doesn’t really have name players, they just plug and play … the expectations are known, players are recruited to the system, they may vary a bit year to year but you have a ballpark idea.

Finish this year strong, with so many key returners - UNLV may be ranked top 25 to start next season.

It may have some deleterious effects on hoops. Focus shifting makes it easier in a sense, less pressure, but success with football can make people angry it’s not happening with basketball … AD made a home run hire, he’s gotta be on cloud nine … CKK isn’t his guy, Harp might view the opportunity as a chance to cement his future with an equivalent impact hire with hoops. Of course, CKK can battle against that with success, then we see the giant egg laid last week …

Interesting times at UNLV, but at least for once part of it involves actual non-slow growth success.
IF we keep Maiava, White, Odom etc I think we should start top 25 they should be very good.

And here’s the beauty ….

I love the pressure football is putting on basketball. It’s a piece that’s been missing for years. MBB lived off its past and allowed Admn after Admn to make mediocre hires bc hey what’s to lose, it’s not like any other program is setting a standard (Lady Rebs of course but it doesn’t measure up to football). Now? It’s MUCH harder to make excuses and there’s the significant risk of MBB losing what support remains, especially around NIL.

I love the pressure football is putting on basketball. It’s a piece that’s been missing for years. MBB lived off its past and allowed Admn after Admn to make mediocre hires bc hey what’s to lose, it’s not like any other program is setting a standard (Lady Rebs of course but it doesn’t measure up to football). Now? It’s MUCH harder to make excuses and there’s the significant risk of MBB losing what support remains, especially around NIL.
Yup. Odom has torched the "slow build" narrative and Harper will be hard pressed to get the basketball program in line... imagine having both programs just be competent and competing in this market and what that'll do for UNLVs hopes as things shake out across college football in next few years... I guarantee he's already got a list. He wants a 150 million dollar fund, he knows teams have got to be competitive to get that money from people

Yup. Odom has torched the "slow build" narrative and Harper will be hard pressed to get the basketball program in line... imagine having both programs just be competent and competing in this market and what that'll do for UNLVs hopes as things shake out across college football in next few years... I guarantee he's already got a list. He wants a 150 million dollar fund, he knows teams have got to be competitive to get that money from people
BINGO!!!!

You don’t announce plans to raise $150MM if you don’t know where you’d like the money to go.

True, but if his stats increase next year the way they've progressed this year, he's a 1st round pick...

I thought the same thing about Devante Davis. Dude put up similiar numbers to Ricky White. At 6'3 215 he was a prototype NFL WR. I think he went undrafted.

True, but if his stats increase next year the way they've progressed this year, he's a 1st round pick...

Love Rickie, if he have a chance he should go. He's going to have many opportunities after this season.

Davis wasn't on a Top 25 team

How much does that have to do with being drafted? I guess eyeballs? But NFL scouts find players from everywhere.

Plenty of guys get drafted from teams not in the top 25.

NFL scouts also look at level of competition. A WR in the MWC playing MWC schedule is not going to be rated as highly as a guy in the SEC. Combine numbers and individual workouts come into play.

I'm thinking those have infinitely more bearing than if a dude played on a Top 25 team or not.

Just saying by that logic you would rank your draft board based on where a dudes team finished in the rankings?

I think type of offense you play in can matter. Texas Tech, Washington State and a few other Air Raid offenses put up gaudy passing numbers but their QBs typically don't get drafted very highly (Outside of Mahomes). And in the case of Mahomes I don't think they were a perennial top 25 team and yet he was drafted highly because scouts loved his arm and athleticism.

Last edited:
How much does that have to do with being drafted? I guess eyeballs? But NFL scouts find players from everywhere.

NFL scouts also look at level of competition. A WR in the MWC playing MWC schedule is not going to be rated as highly as a guy in the SEC. Combine numbers and individual workouts come into play.

I'm thinking those have infinitely more bearing than if a dude played on a Top 25 team or not.

Just saying by that logic you would rank your draft board based on where a dudes team finished in the rankings?
Mel Kipper greatest blunder was labelling Patrick Mahhommes as a "bust". Everyone made mistake/

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1

Mostly eyeballs... when you're on a good team, there's more eyeballs... sure there are scouts everywhere at each level trying to find talent. But successful teams bring more eyeballs and attention including scouts, especially when guys get on awards lists... and yes conference plays a huge role, that's why it's hard for even talented guys to crack NFL rosters from lower tier conferences. My draft board rankings are player needs, best talent available... but where scouts go to see kids definitely affects their ability to get the break needed for the next level.

Mostly eyeballs... when you're on a good team, there's more eyeballs... sure there are scouts everywhere at each level trying to find talent. But successful teams bring more eyeballs and attention including scouts, especially when guys get on awards lists... and yes conference plays a huge role, that's why it's hard for even talented guys to crack NFL rosters from lower tier conferences. My draft board rankings are player needs, best talent available... but where scouts go to see kids definitely affects their ability to get the break needed for the next level.

That's fair.

I wasn't saying White couldn't be drafted early. More I wouldn't be shocked to see him fall a few rounds. And not based on ability but a bias towards guys from bigger conferences.

That's fair.

I wasn't saying White couldn't be drafted early. More I wouldn't be shocked to see him fall a few rounds. And not based on ability but a bias towards guys from bigger conferences.
I hate receivers and shooting guards mindset, they are weird man. They have entirely different mindset from the rest of the players. Have anyone listen to the greatest wide receiver (Jerry Rice and Randy Moss) talked? Or the SG guards like Reggie miller and Ray Allen talks? They are weird. They are wired differently. They are disciplined to the point of something like a Zen Master almost.

I hate receivers and shooting guards mindset, they are weird man. They have entirely different mindset from the rest of the players. Have anyone listen to the greatest wide receiver (Jerry Rice and Randy Moss) talked? Or the SG guards like Reggie miller and Ray Allen talks? They are weird. They are wired differently. They are disciplined to the point of something like a Zen Master almost.

What about kickers?

I think White have a great opportunity in the NFL next year. He is good enough.
It depends on where the prognosticators pick him to go. If they have him in the fifth round I think he comes back there is a big money difference between late round and early round picks double or more.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT