ADVERTISEMENT

You Play

Pistol Pete 1

Retired Number
Sep 22, 2008
You play how you practice! The practices this spring have been a lot of fun to watch. There is no wasted time or energy in anything they do. The team moves seamlessly from one drill to the next. The drills are either designed to teach and refine skills or to promote a fierce and competitive identity. The coaches and players have completely bought in to what Tony Sanchez is about to accomplish here at UNLV. I emphasize what he is ABOUT to accomplish as opposed to TRYING to accomplish!

When you see UNLV football for the first time either this spring or in the fall you will see that size and speed concerns have been addressed. Do we want more size and speed? Sure. But we have enough to play good football. We will have the depth necessary to keep us in games and win them in the 4th quarter when in years past the guys would just run out of gas. Also the organizational skills of Coach Sanchez will really begin to shine this year as the team takes on his personality. Too many times in the past we have seen our teams look downright confused on the field as to what they should be doing. No more!

I completely agree with everything that Bull has written regarding the players. There are gonna be some real interesting battles in the fall for starting spots. And most if not all spots will have interchangeable pieces with no drop off. QB battle may be far more competitive than most thought. RB's are hard to separate. Competition everywhere on the field!

It is good to be a Rebel Football Fan!

What I like most about the position battles, is there is no true 1 in almost every spot, except at Left offensive tackle and center. Every skill position player has a role where they can be used. All the tight ends and running backs are built differently for different purposes. The linebacker and D line combos are interesting, size vs speed, or both. They have a lot of flexibility in ground combinations. I don't think this will be like other big programs where carries go to one guy and the rest of the talent rots. What they did with the running backs last year will become the norm for a lot of the positions. I don't remember feeling like any of the running backs weren't getting enough touches. Even the guy from Finland got a couple of carries and was used at special teams

To build on your point @RebelinWA our receivers (TE's and WR's) will all see their fair share of touches I'm assuming or at least have the potential to. Of course there are favorites as seasons progress but imagine your check down option is a 6'4" 250# TE with good hands. Our QB's have that choice now.

I'm not ripping our TE from last season since I liked him a lot. Just that he was the only TE available in our final game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT