ADVERTISEMENT

Why has Stanton been playing LB?

UNLVWINS

Lottery Pick
May 14, 2005
Why is the most experienced and maybe the most talented QB on the team playing LB? He was recruited by a lot of people out of high school. He is much better than the current backup. We are using him on defense??

Because there aren’t any other talented players on the team to play that position.

Why is the most experienced and maybe the most talented QB on the team playing LB? He was recruited by a lot of people out of high school. He is much better than the current backup. We are using him on defense??

Because Laolagi and Rominger are hurt. We only have 72 scholarships. We only have a limited number of LB that are any good. Stanton has the physical tools and actually is pretty good as a LB.

We are a G5 program that isn't close to the scholarship limit. We have no depth at LB and we needed help there immediately. Stanton wasn't going to play qb over Rogers so this gets him on the field in a position that he is good at. He wants to play and that's the best avenue.

Because Laolagi and Rominger are hurt. We only have 72 scholarships. We only have a limited number of LB that are any good. Stanton has the physical tools and actually is pretty good as a LB.

We are a G5 program that isn't close to the scholarship limit. We have no depth at LB and we needed help there immediately. Stanton wasn't going to play qb over Rogers so this gets him on the field in a position that he is good at. He wants to play and that's the best avenue.

Why do we only have 72 scholarships??? I thought we are allowed 85.

Getting to 85 scholarship players is easier said than done. I believe you can have 25 scholarship players in any given year. So the first trick to actually get 25 scholarship quality players in a given year to accept an offer. Next they need to stay in school and stay involved in football. If for some reason, academics, personality conflicts, injuries, etc, a player gets lost along the way, that scholarship player cannot be replaced by offering 26 scholarships the next year. We know real progress has been made when we start having years where we cannot offer 25 scholarships because we have so many returning players from previous years. But I may not live long enough to see that, LOL.

He is probably just a game or 2 of experience away from becoming the best LB on the team. Big, strong, smart & loves to play football.

Reactions: GiantKiller0
Getting to 85 scholarship players is easier said than done. I believe you can have 25 scholarship players in any given year. So the first trick to actually get 25 scholarship quality players in a given year to accept an offer. Next they need to stay in school and stay involved in football. If for some reason, academics, personality conflicts, injuries, etc, a player gets lost along the way, that scholarship player cannot be replaced by offering 26 scholarships the next year. We know real progress has been made when we start having years where we cannot offer 25 scholarships because we have so many returning players from previous years. But I may not live long enough to see that, LOL.

You can actually sign junior college players in December as well as add transfers allowing you to exceed the 25 scholarships.

As for Stanton, he was pretty flat footed on key runs between the tackles that he was in position to make a play on. He isn't experienced enough to make the transition that quickly even if he has the physical tools. He is also the only experienced passing quarterback option besides Rogers
With underclassmen Spencer Katoanga, David Tate, Aaron Borg and Soli Alflava as well as a host of seldom used defensive ends, it probably would be smarter to work on developing some of the younger player on the roster to be ready to contribute full time next year.
Even Tariq Hollandsworth or Evan Owens would be more sensible options.

Reactions: mvvsmith
JUCO athletes count towards the 25 initial scholarships for each class so they are in fact included in that limit. Transfer are outside of it.

Reactions: mvvsmith
I really hope Stanton can pull out this win tonight. You really have question him playing LB.

I really hope Stanton can pull out this win tonight. You really have question him playing LB.

We already went over this. If you question anything it is if he should have been the starter over Armani. Once that decision is made and we had the situation we did with LB you play him at LB. You are not planning or expecting Armani to get hurt. You don't leave a guy on the bench if he can help out especially considering our extreme lack of depth.

We're actually way ahead on commitments as compared to the previous two years. 11 so far, correct me of I'm wrong, read it at a glance, pretty sure about it.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
We're actually way ahead on commitments as compared to the previous two years. 11 so far, correct me of I'm wrong, read it at a glance, pretty sure about it.

I'm not sure of our actual committments but I do know the players we are recruiting are levels above what we have signed in the past. The staff is making good inroads. The facility is a huge deal.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT