ADVERTISEMENT

Who's the next school to get poached.

SDbaby7&

NBA Draft Pick
Gold Member
Mar 15, 2005
We have a thread about potential MWC expansion targets. This whole thing is still super fluid so anything can happen.

Does the PAC circle back and make another run at Memphis with a better offer this time? I don't know. That exit fee is pretty steep. Can they make an offer that makes sense for Memphis to leave. Memphis has eyes/hopes on an ACC bid and have to figure they'd take an offer from. BIG12 if they came calling or ACC.

I don't think either conference wants to dip into FCS except as last resort.

Almost feels like a game of chicken now. Next move by either will set things off.

Anybody want to guess what piece/school comes off the board 1st?

My guess is Texas State..

We have a thread about potential MWC expansion targets. This whole thing is still super fluid so anything can happen.

Does the PAC circle back and make another run at Memphis with a better offer this time? I don't know. That exit fee is pretty steep. Can they make an offer that makes sense for Memphis to leave. Memphis has eyes/hopes on an ACC bid and have to figure they'd take an offer from. BIG12 if they came calling or ACC.

Almost feels like a game of chicken now. Next move by either will set things off.

Makes sense… they DO have “state” in their name.

But yeah… game of chicken.

I think it’s closer to a stalemate or even close to a checkmate by the MW. The MW is in a no lose situation, whoever gets picked up isn’t going to materially affect how the conference is viewed AND all of its teams, especially UNLV and AFA, will get substantial payments to help their programs.

The PAC however is losing pretty badly at this point, specifically the original 2. It’s already cost them a boatload of cash and they don’t have a conference yet. They can either make another run at Memphis for more cash, but Im not sure if they even paid the full buyout if Memphis would think it was worth it without at least one other team closer to them (read: more cash), or…

They add (insert name of crappy no name team here). No amount of spin is gonna polish whatever turd they add.

Would they be a better conference than the MW? Reasonably I’d say yes, but they most certainly won’t be the dominant G5 they thought they were going to be, and they burned a whole ton of resources to do almost nothing for themselves.

Frankly a merger is their best hope. Let the others back in with a penalty, and let the PAC 2 in at a cost of whatever bonuses were promised to those who stayed.

The PAC HAS to shoot their shot with the AAC schools. It's the only way they save face in this round of realignments. They got the Traitor 4 to commit by promising a better TV based on the addition of the AAC. It didn't happen.

I think you're right, D'baby Bull. Texas State should be our next target and see what other Texas schools we can add. Then add NMSU and UTEP and call it a day.

The PAC HAS to shoot their shot with the AAC schools. It's the only way they save face in this round of realignments. They got the Traitor 4 to commit by promising a better TV based on the addition of the AAC. It didn't happen.

I think you're right, D'baby Bull. Texas State should be our next target and see what other Texas schools we can add. Then add NMSU and UTEP and call it a day.
My guess is the PAC 7 regroups and makes a much better pitch to either Memphis or Tulane, or both. Though, practically speaking, you'd think that those schools would like another 1-2 AAC teams to come with them, to help alleviate some of the travel issues, but I don't think the PAC wants to throw that much money around to help them leave the conference.

The Memphis AD spoke publicly last week and seemed to indicate that got a terrible offer from the PAC, but that saying no at that time doesn't mean no forever. Memphis would probably be their top target, so if they offered them the full 25 million (or whatever it ends up being) buyout, I could see them jumping.

The biggest issue with them would be the PAC's buyout. If Memphis ultimately wants to join the ACC or Big12, then it may not make sense for them to jump. The PAC has a pretty steep buyout, even for schools leaving for an autonomous 4 conference.

So it Memphis / Tulane are both in the waiting game to see what happens with the ACC, I'd guess that the PAC gives a much bigger offer to Texas State, and if they decline, the PAC settles for Sacramento State.

There was an article on CBS Sports saying the NCAA is against this and they don't want any more FCS schools for now.
Yeah, I saw that one too. Not sure if they have the ability to control that or not though. They may not want it, but if schools meet the requirements and pay the $5 million fee, it seems like they'd be able to make the jump.

My guess is the PAC 7 regroups and makes a much better pitch to either Memphis or Tulane, or both. Though, practically speaking, you'd think that those schools would like another 1-2 AAC teams to come with them, to help alleviate some of the travel issues, but I don't think the PAC wants to throw that much money around to help them leave the conference.

The Memphis AD spoke publicly last week and seemed to indicate that got a terrible offer from the PAC, but that saying no at that time doesn't mean no forever. Memphis would probably be their top target, so if they offered them the full 25 million (or whatever it ends up being) buyout, I could see them jumping.

The biggest issue with them would be the PAC's buyout. If Memphis ultimately wants to join the ACC or Big12, then it may not make sense for them to jump. The PAC has a pretty steep buyout, even for schools leaving for an autonomous 4 conference.

So it Memphis / Tulane are both in the waiting game to see what happens with the ACC, I'd guess that the PAC gives a much bigger offer to Texas State, and if they decline, the PAC settles for Sacramento State.
To get Memphis they are going to need a similar out that we got from the MWC. No way they want to commit to paying 30 million in exit fees when they are definitely positioned to be in the expansion conversation in a few years and that's their dream. In order to get them, the Pac 2 are going to have to be willing to spend a lot of cash.

To get Memphis they are going to need a similar out that we got from the MWC. No way they want to commit to paying 30 million in exit fees when they are definitely positioned to be in the expansion conversation in a few years and that's their dream. In order to get them, the Pac 2 are going to have to be willing to spend a lot of cash.
That was my thoughts as well. Not sure it's worth it for Memphis or Tulane, if they feel they have a legitimate shot at the ACC.

Which isn't going to leave a lot of options for the PAC.

Reactions: RebelinWA
Makes sense… they DO have “state” in their name.

But yeah… game of chicken.

I think it’s closer to a stalemate or even close to a checkmate by the MW. The MW is in a no lose situation, whoever gets picked up isn’t going to materially affect how the conference is viewed AND all of its teams, especially UNLV and AFA, will get substantial payments to help their programs.

The PAC however is losing pretty badly at this point, specifically the original 2. It’s already cost them a boatload of cash and they don’t have a conference yet. They can either make another run at Memphis for more cash, but Im not sure if they even paid the full buyout if Memphis would think it was worth it without at least one other team closer to them (read: more cash), or…

They add (insert name of crappy no name team here). No amount of spin is gonna polish whatever turd they add.

Would they be a better conference than the MW? Reasonably I’d say yes, but they most certainly won’t be the dominant G5 they thought they were going to be, and they burned a whole ton of resources to do almost nothing for themselves.

Frankly a merger is their best hope. Let the others back in with a penalty, and let the PAC 2 in at a cost of whatever bonuses were promised to those who stayed.

Honestly just merge no penalties to create hang ups. Remain the best G5 conference in football.

Still can pursue Grand Canyon and Gonzaga as basketball only members.

Win win for everybody.

One thing the PAC could do is add one more, slightly undesirably school, like TX state. Then circle back to the AAC to be added in 3 years.
The fees would be much more manageable and they can factor in that extra revenue into the media contract now.

I think Memphis still passes, they are on deck, arguably above UNLV for the Big 12 and the ACC for expansion.

But the other 3? They may bite, though I still think USF is just too far.

Last edited:
Reactions: LVRebel2000
One thing the PAC could do is add one more, slightly undesirably school, like TX state. Then circle back to the AAC to be added in 3 years.
The fees would be much more manageable and they can factor in that extra revenue into the media contract now.

I think Memphis still passes, they are on deck, arguably above UNLV for the UNLV and the ACC for expansion.

I think realignment has really thrown off the travel concerns, but that would be a terrible road trip... USF to Pullman? you're talking flight from TB to ATL, to probably Denver or Seattle and then into Moscow... yikes

I'm hoping I morph into Trips account.

I will add 'isn't it my precious' to all of his posts and he will sound like Gollum from Lord of the Rings

'The Fresno QB is sneaksy'

'Unlv defense will brings the pains '

You will never be able to read his posts after today without hearing it in the voice of Gollum.

No need to thank me.
🙂

Last edited:
I think realignment has really thrown off the travel concerns, but that would be a terrible road trip... USF to Pullman? you're talking flight from TB to ATL, to probably Denver or Seattle and then into Moscow... yikes
You have probably have to take a stagecoach to get to some of these Texas schools....

• Haha
Reactions: bcvegaspt2
Honestly just merge no penalties to create hang ups. Remain the best G5 conference in football.

Still can pursue Grand Canyon and Gonzaga as basketball only members.

Win win for everybody.
I would back this, but it seems like the PAC guys, after all the butt hurt from getting left out by the uppity old PAC schools, are now feeling like they're the high and mighty ones, not willing to play with the lowly MWC teams, aside from the ones they let in.

I think Memphis still passes, they are on deck, arguably above UNLV for the Big 12 and the ACC for expansion.

That's my concern.

I think MWC should be first and super aggressive.

The conference took a massive hit. Don't be left picking up the scraps that the scraps left behind.

The MWC didn't take a massive hit. Nobody cares about the programs we lost. And at the end of the day, we're all in the same G pond of teams vying for the same spot. They're just in a different league now and we don't play them. The horror.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
There are direct flights from Vegas to San Antonio and to El Paso Im sure... Texas St. is a short drive from SA. Not nearly the same as trying to fly into Pullman or Corvalis
You would fly into Austin most likely. Smaller airport but definitely closer

The MWC didn't take a massive hit. Nobody cares about the programs we lost. And at the end of the day, we're all in the same G pond of teams vying for the same spot. They're just in a different league now and we don't play them. The horror.

How do your lose your top basketball program and your top football program and not take a hit?

Recency bias and our win over Fresno aside you can't tell me top to bottom that isn't a better football conference.

If nobody cares about who we lost they care less about who we kept.

SDSU is down in football but they were top dogs just a few years ago.

What's more likely? SDSU turns it around in a few years. Or Wyoming or UNM or Reno?

You could argue over the last 10 years USU is as good or better than anybody left in the MWC outside of AFA in football.

How do your lose your top basketball program and your top football program and not take a hit?

Recency bias and our win over Fresno aside you can't tell me top to bottom that isn't a better football conference.

If nobody cares about who we lost they care less about who we kept.

SDSU is down in football but they were top dogs just a few years ago.

What's more likely? SDSU turns it around in a few years. Or Wyoming or UNM or Reno?

You could argue over the last 10 years USU is as good or better than anybody left in the MWC outside of AFA in football.
Yeah I get it. But nobody cares nationally and it doesn't make a difference either way.

Yeah I get it. But nobody cares nationally and it doesn't make a difference either way.

It does though.

Rankings are based around strength of schedule.

People keep saying UNLV can just dominate the MWC 2.0 and get the G5 CFP invite every year.

To do that they will have to ramp up their OOC considerably to compensate for a weaker conference schedule. Makes things more difficult.

AP/Coaches polls and whatever Commodore 64 they use to formulate the rankings algorithm weighs strength of schedule.

Your margin for error shrinks way down.

That is a shame about their buyout I would have preferred USTA over Texas State and or UTEP!
USTA mixed with Texas State would be a really good pick up for the MWC. Those two teams are as good as any of the MWC teams going to the PAC with the exception of BSU. UNLV has now replaced BSU as the top dog in the MWC. Hopefully UNLV can keep it up. Very happy to play UTSA or Texas State over Utah State, SDSU, CSU and Fresno State. Fresno State looked like a high school team this weekend.

Texas State is nowhere near the quality of the Traiterous 5.
They are a big state school in Texas, and have only been FBS for 12 years. IN TEXAS !! What does that tell you?

Just because some random site called them the best bet for the playoff preseason ( that has not aged well at all), doesn't mean they are a top G5 team. They are not.

They are definitely on the right track. But they would be tanking their contract, worse than USU for sure.

They have potential, and they get us into Texas which is big, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT