ADVERTISEMENT

When the new AD comes in...

Sanchez needs to go. Not the answer.
You guys are funny. So was Sanchez not the answer when he unexpectedly beat Reno last year? Who are we gonna hire for our small budget and crappy school? Get real. This is a bad program at a very lowly university that has never been good. If we build the football facility and the new stadium then you can rightfully have your expectations raised but for now welcome to reality. At least our basketball program is in good shape.

You guys are funny. So was Sanchez not the answer when he unexpectedly beat Reno last year? Who are we gonna hire for our small budget and crappy school? Get real. This is a bad program at a very lowly university that has never been good. If we build the football facility and the new stadium then you can rightfully have your expectations raised but for now welcome to reality. At least our basketball program is in good shape.
Not sure if the basketball team is in good shape, but they are in better position to build. they scrapped together a team at the last minute lost a few good recruits, the real problem is the lack of leadership from the AD. Bring in a visionary someone who can see past the next 2-3 years.

Clearly you didn't get my sarcastic tone. Basketball program is a disaster this year. Nevada will blow us out twice.

Our program may be in a sorry state, but that doesn't excuse us to hanging onto a sorry coach just because a corrupt family looking for the spotlight is giving UNLV pity money for hiring him.

If the the Fertittas bitch and moan if/when we fire him, so be it. UNLV transcends any family in Vegas.

What do teams do who keep losing under a coach? Fire them and try another one. Nothing wrong with that. Hey, it happened with Rice, and he was doing better than Sanchez.

Reactions: RebtillDeath
Dude. It's year two. You get 5 years at a program like this. UNR has been destroying us for years. It's not a new thing. Since 1989 I think we've beat them like 7 times. They are a better program even in their down years. We are one of the very worst programs in all of college football. Who you gonna bring in here?

Sanchez and Chambers bring/brought in Gorman money.

Sanchez is getting the football practice facility and Chambers got the baseball one done. Do you think Marnell cares about a university he didn't attend? He went to Arizona, not UNLV. His investment was in Chambers, not the school itself. Same thing goes with Sanchez. $10 million happens to be the largest athletic donation ever to UNLV. EVER!

Again the floor is yours. Pay up your $10 million so we can get rid of those bad Fertittas :joy:

Reactions: Sam-I-am
Coach Sanford
Year One: 2 wins
Year Two: 2 wins
Year Three: 2 wins

Coach Hauck
Year One: 2 wins
Year Two: 2 wins
Year Three: 2 wins

Coach Sanchez
Year One: 3 wins
Year Two: 4 wins
Year Three: Building New Campus Football Facility

You guys are nuts if you think Sanchez needs to go. This thing is barely getting started.

Sanchez made the comparison to Wyoming, and it has been made over and over. That's not necessarily accurate, you're dealing with a much bigger elephant at UNLV. Look at year-by-year for Wyo. Sure, they haven't had consistent success for 3-4 consecutive years, but they have had semi-regular spurts of one or two years of success. With UNLV, crawling out of the cellar is a much different beast.

Give the man the length of his contract, and maybe a bit more. If you don't see UNLV improve consistently, then consider your options. Realistic ones. Not "GUY X IS AVAILABLE" ... most important part of removing a head coach is knowing you can get someone better.

Reactions: rebneck
In fairness to Coach Sanchez, he was led down a rabbit hole by the AD when he first arrived. His main directed focus seemed to be fund raising and glad-handing boosters when he should have been putting his stamp on the offense and defense. Hence coordinators have been left to their own vices and have not served Sanchez well imo. Coach Sanchez's inexperienced showed when he let that happen. Winning will draw boosters and money. Losing doesn't!

Give the man the length of his contract, and maybe a bit more. If you don't see UNLV improve consistently, then consider your options. Realistic ones. Not "GUY X IS AVAILABLE" ... most important part of removing a head coach is knowing you can get someone better.
^^^^THIS!^^^^
Oh, no! The contractor screwed up on the front porch on our new house, so, rather than have him fix it, let's burn the whole thing down!!! Makes loads of sense. We all knew there would be setbacks along the way - believe me, nobody was more disgusted/pissed/sickened by that big steaming pile we left in SBS - but CTS has us on a path like none other. JRob got Madden to donate cash for the practice field. Awesome. But it ain't no new practice facility. CTS deserves to see his build through, then, if it turns out he can't coach, can him. But, for crying out loud... big picture, people. Big picture.

I'm not exactly sure what overnight turnaround people are expecting. The program is moving forward about as fast as it can.

I watched Gary Anderson at Utah State win only 4 games each of his first two seasons before having a breakout season in year 3. Wyoming struggled heavily the past two seasons before reaching year 3. And UNLV was in MUCH worse shape than either of those programs were when Coach Sanchez took over.

This staff has some great players who redshirted this year. The freshman who played this year will be stronger next season. They'll keep recruiting and will build the infrastructure UNLV has lacked for decades. Enjoy the ride.

PS-- Boise fans already are taking some notice of the progress. The best is yet to come.
http://www.scout.com/college/boise-...-turf-board/15157821-unlv-2-years-away?page=1

When the season started I wanted to see the team win at least 5 games, I thought 4 wins would have been enough if there are ALOT of injuries, especially if there were injuries at key positions. Well it looks like that is what happened. Once again we are left with looking back thinking what if this what if that would have happened maybe we are in a bowl game. Than is not a bad place to be in if you are UNLV, although the wins need to keep increasing every year which I think they will. For a team to be down its top four WR's and down to there third QB on the season, its best RB for short time, and still playing hard enough to beat one team playing for the conference championship tells me things are headed in the right direction. At the start of last season if you would have told any of us that we would be without Keith Whitely and Altee Tenpeney going into season two we probably would have freaked out a little bit, but when Whitely was dismissed nobody adjusted there season win total for this year because we started to see progress as far as personnel was concerned and if the progress of the RB depth starts to show up in other positions next season and beyond we will be on our way to going to bowl games every year. One thing this year and last year showed is we are a descent healthy QB away from winning 5-6 every year and with improvement at all other positions we should win more than that, hopefully soon!!

Agree with all this. It's disgusting to get destroyed by UNR but like I've said, they've owned us since 1989. They care A LOT about the game against us and it shows more often than not.

Sanchez has things moving the right way. He didn't take short term gains by not red shirting guys this year. Our entire receiving corp was decimated.

Don't overreact to the UNR loss. It's nothing new.

I have no idea if Sanchez is the right guy or not. I didnt like the hire when it happened, but Im ok with what he has done so far. Im certainly not ready to give up on him if this was year 4 maybe but he's been here 2 seasons, any coach deserves more time than that.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I have no idea if Sanchez is the right guy or not. I didnt like the hire when it happened, but Im ok with what he has done so far. Im certainly not ready to give up on him if this was year 4 maybe but he's been here 2 seasons, any coach deserves more time than that.
Agreed. I didn't want a high school coach but a proven winner. But unlv doesn't have money to higher a proven winner. So I'm going ahead and roll with it.

We should be disappointed based on this past game. It sure hurt my feelings!

But saying Sanchez needs to go is very short sighted.

We were on our 3rd string QB and 5th string WR. Seriously.

Sure everyone has injuries, but that is ridiculous.

Also Sanchez has pulled in the best recruiting class UNLV has ever had. Football needs more time to bring in your guys and to develop recruits. Most incoming freshman aren't physically equipped to play right away.

I'm not saying that Sanchez will be the answer, but starting over right now would be completely unfounded

Last edited:
I was furious after the UNR game, but I still believe that Sanchez is the answer for the program. I predicted 5 wins at the beginning of the year and we came up short, but I see signs of life even though we were very inconsistent this year.

Sanchez should get 5 years. The program is headed in the right direction.

Sanchez needs to go. Not the answer.
That's just absurd. HCTS took over a dumpster fire. The fire has been put out but it takes time to clean up after a fire. The team is twice as good as it was since HCTS took over. With all of the injuries to our best players, it's amazing that we won 4 games including the win against WYO. No doubt in my mind that we are in a Bowl without the injury to Johnny. It takes years to build depth anywhere, let alone a cronic bottom dweller like UNLV. No doubt in my mind that the team will continue to improve. Time to land some more top notch recruits and keep moving forward.

Ok...oh well.... I guess same for next year -- per the article -both Cotton and Baer will remain
Why would you want Cotton gone? The Rebs were one of the worst scoring offenses in football under the prior staff and they ended up 51st in the nation this season without the starting QB, with 5 WRs going down and injuries across the OL. That's progress. Rome wasn't built in a day. Firing Cotton would be moronic.

Baer deserves another year but I could see his seat warming up.

I'll give Baer one more year since last year's class was for the offense. LaRussa though, needs to go.

That's just absurd. HCTS took over a dumpster fire. The fire has been put out but it takes time to clean up after a fire. The team is twice as good as it was since HCTS took over. With all of the injuries to our best players, it's amazing that we won 4 games including the win against WYO. No doubt in my mind that we are in a Bowl without the injury to Johnny. It takes years to build depth anywhere, let alone a cronic bottom dweller like UNLV. No doubt in my mind that the team will continue to improve. Time to land some more top notch recruits and keep moving forward.

The sign specifically says....

DO NOT FEED THE TROLL...

You would have to be stupid or blind not to see the team has drastically improved from previous years except for our cornerbacks and their coach is now gone. Why when another team loses key players they are cut some slack but Sanchez loses half of the offense and gets none? If you think any other coach would do better under the same circumstances I believe you are mistaken. Give Sanchez half of the injured receivers back and we are in a bowl game. No doubt in my mind and been a long time since I thought that.
Problem is people today have absolutely no patience(or common sense) at all then they run to the computer and whine about EVERYTHING. Sorry guys some things take time whether you like it or not

Whomever was special teams coach should go, if he hasn't already. The kickoff returns/coverage was horrible all season. Look- the Reno game stung, but that's only because we EXPECTED a Rebels victory. This team was built to keep the defense off the field (for good reason) with a ball control running game. When that didn't happen, the defensive depth was exposed. Overall, I feel the first halves of the Colorado State and SJS games, as well as the entire Reno game, were the only time I felt like this team was quitting on TS. Sadly, that is progress. But this is reality as a Rebel Football fan.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT