ADVERTISEMENT

When the new AD comes in...

Sanchez has shown enough to assume there is promise of developing a competitive team.
I would like to see a stronger passing game. The losses at receiver were huge but in two seasons the team has a 50.6% completion rate and the current quarterbacks have a combined completion rate of 47.7%.
Only Keyes & Boyd have significant experience among returning pass catchers heading in to next season. The rest of the guys have more promise than on the field results.
Both starting safeties, the top two linbackers, only consistent corner and the only pass rushing threats are gone for next season.
The offensive line is great and the talent at running back is as well but its hard to pinpoint areas that are likely to be improved next season. This team needs to get over the hump but it may be a step back next season with an eye for 2018.

Sanchez has shown enough to assume there is promise of developing a competitive team.
I would like to see a stronger passing game. The losses at receiver were huge but in two seasons the team has a 50.6% completion rate and the current quarterbacks have a combined completion rate of 47.7%.
Only Keyes & Boyd have significant experience among returning pass catchers heading in to next season. The rest of the guys have more promise than on the field results.
Both starting safeties, the top two linbackers, only consistent corner and the only pass rushing threats are gone for next season.

The offensive line is great and the talent at running back is as well but its hard to pinpoint areas that are likely to be improved next season. This team needs to get over the hump but it may be a step back next season with an eye for 2018.

I'm with you. There is a lot of talk about a ball control running game, and we should run it 90% of the time etc.

I'm good with that to an extent, though you have to have balance and you can't be predicable. If you run it more the 2/3rds of the time, then defenses can key in on you. Also you pretty much need a top defense if you are run heavy, because you typically don't put up that many points that way. We are very far away from that from happening.

Also our biggest strength on our team is arguably the WR corps. No not last year, obviously. But our top 4 guys (all returning) are beasts when healthy. I have always been a fan of adjusting scheme to maximize your strengths. And as long as we keep recruiting and developing good WRs, I think they need to be a big part of the offense (other than blocking)

No that doesn't mean I think we should be Texas Tech. I like a heavy dose of the run game. It can even be 60/40 Run/pass. I just worry a bit with Cotton and his background that we will be a super run heavy team like Nebraska typically is, but that may not fit our talent the best. Especially defensively.

Last edited:

Boyd & Keyes are back. Woods should be back in the fall. Woods had already surpassed Keyes as the #2 heading into this year. Presely returns, so this year could almost be considered his red shirt year. Stevenson showed some flashes but played like a true freshman. Trosclair also received some snaps. WR is the least of my concerns next year. This group will be deep next year.

O-Line will be solid again. Kreitler is a big loss but we return 4 starters and Caldwell who saw significant snaps this year.

Running back is loaded, but I wouldn't be surprised if we lose a guy because how crowded it is at that position. Williams and Thomas are similar backs, Thomas may be a little faster, Williams a tad more physical. We lose Greene our 'power' back. That leaves X. Campbell and JUCO transfer Owens. I could see Campbell leaving as odd man out. Owens was a monster during fall practice..

QB..Stanton, Palandech, Sneed & Rogers. I think Stanton heads into Spring as 'the guy, but Rogers will be given every chance to win the job. Sneed or Palandech could be asked to switch positions. On here and on Twitter people are proclaiming Rogers as the savior despite never seeing the kid in practice or a live game. People should slow down with that a bit.

Defense we lose a lot of bodies but how much real production? Obviously Tau is a huge loss. McTyer was a steady performer and will be missed. Besides that MacAleenan? Steady guy but zero sacks and I think 3 tackles for loss this year. I am still wondering why Brian Keys rarely saw the field this year. During Spring he was as explosive and disruptive a player as we had. We lose Vaolaga, who can best be described as an enigma. Seemingly endless talent, but production never seemed to match. One game its a sack, 2 tackles for loss and a batted pass, next game nothing. Also, maybe losing a guy who was involved in enough dumbassery to get booted from team with two weeks left isn't a bad thing. We lose Dominic Baldwin?..Iggy, who's next sack or tackle for loss will be his first. Keyes, solid in run support, limited in coverage. Same with Hawthorne. Miles? Injured to much rarely saw the field.

Again outside of Tau & McTyer, possibly MacAleenan there isn't anybody we are losing I don't feel we can't replace.

Typically I would agree, losing that many starters should be worrisome. In this case maybe not..

.... I just worry a bit with Cotton and his background that we will be a super run heavy team like Nebraska typically is, but that may not fit our talent the best. Especially defensively.

A run first offense is exactly what our defense needs. We need to dominate the time of possession in order to wear down the opposition and, most importantly, keep the defense fresh.

As for Cotton's background in offense, you might not know that his first HC job was at Hastings College where in 1995 he took over a chronic bottom dweller, installed a pass first option spread offense, won the conference and took them to their first NAIA play-off since Bill Parsells was their LBer coach back in the 60s. The pass to run ratio for that team was 65% passing and 35% running. When he was the OC at Iowa State he had a 1,000 yard receiver in Todd Blythe. So he knows a bit about passing the ball.

Nevertheless, HCTS wants a power football team and that's exactly what the Rebs need to become. We were 16th in the nation in rushing offense with no passing threat. It's abundantly clear that running the ball is where we have the most talent right now. Get the passing game fixed with improved QB and WR play and it can be a top 20 offense in scoring, yards and, most importantly for the defense, time of possession.

My problem is that we need the size and strength to be a power team. We aren't Nebraska or Stanford. Our recruiting areas produce more speedy athletic guys than power guys.

Now our O line has been a strength recruiting wise. We've got some beef there.

I still want the run game to be a big part of what we do. Do get it twisted. But you can't deny that we have some serious talent at the WR position (assuming they can all return as healthy).

Yes we put up good numbers this year with the running game. But we didn't run it all consistently early in the games or when it was close. A lot of our yards came when we were down a couple scores and the D wasn't cheating as much in the box. We were too predictable. Now have a legit passing threat and that situation becomes the norm.

The biggest argument for staying away from the pass even more is QB play. That is a legit concern. I believe Bull that Rodgers may not be ready to lead us to the promise land next year. However, I think Stanton has enough arm talent to get the job done. Of all our QBs this past season, he had the best passing outings. Now what derailed our offense was his touch on quick passes and slants. I feel like that can be correctable. Also with our WR's coming back healthy we should multiple guys that can get open down field and that can really stretch the defense and open up the running game.

Our defense may be worse next year than this season. We need to be able to put up points. That is much harder to do without a passing game.

My problem is that we need the size and strength to be a power team. We aren't Nebraska or Stanford. Our recruiting areas produce more speedy athletic guys than power guys.

Now our O line has been a strength recruiting wise. We've got some beef there....

There is plenty of OL size in the 500 mile recruiting radius and it's really the OL size that matters the most when it comes to a power running. Plus, of course, the TEs needed to execute the downhill power plays near the D gaps. This young and talented OL is more talented than our WRs at their respected positions. FYI - The best OL on Nebraska right now is Soph Nick Gates from Gorman who just made 3rd team All B1G at OT in the overwhelmingly best conference for OTs in the nation. We need to get to the point where a grinder like Nick stays home and that doesn't happen if we aren't committed to the running game.

Get the INTs down and the completion percentage up to go along with the running attack and we'll win games by scoring but also by dominating the time of possession so the defense isn't worn down in the 4th QTR.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT