ADVERTISEMENT

What's the bar for next year.

Bullmastiff 1

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2007
Las Vegas
Obviously this year fell well short of most peoples expectations.

There will be some who say it was a bump in the road.

Fans need to be patient.

Trust the process.

Etc.

That's all well and good.

At some point there has to be a bar. A level of expectation. Yes even lowly UNLV should have expectations. Obviously money has been a problem at UNLV for years now. There has never been any real commitment to football. Obstacles, hurdles, poor facilities nobody denies the these things exist.

But again, there has to be some expectation doesn't there? Even at UNLV. If not, what's the point?

So what should it be for Sanchez heading into next year.

For me a couple musts...

1) 6 wins and bowl bid. 5-7 shouldn't be good enough in year 5 even for UNLV.

2) Beat Reno again. 6-6 but lose to Reno. He's out.

3) Zero conference losses by a margin greater than 20. Either you are or you aren't making up ground in year 5.

Reactions: RebelinWA
Obviously this year fell well short of most peoples expectations.

There will be some who say it was a bump in the road.

Fans need to be patient.

Trust the process.

Etc.

That's all well and good.

At some point there has to be a bar. A level of expectation. Yes even lowly UNLV should have expectations. Obviously money has been a problem at UNLV for years now. There has never been any real commitment to football. Obstacles, hurdles, poor facilities nobody denies the these things exist.

But again, there has to be some expectation doesn't there? Even at UNLV. If not, what's the point?

So what should it be for Sanchez heading into next year.

For me a couple musts...

3) Zero conference losses by a margin greater than 20. Either you are or you aren't making up ground in year 5.
It's hard to say 6 wins and a bowl game when the bowl game, at that point, can have everything to do with what others across the country have done. If there is tight competition, probably won't get it with 6-6. No competition for slots and you get the bowl.

I'd say 6 wins. It's a tougher schedule for UNLV. But there's also a feel that goes with it too (even more murky than the bowl/no bowl). Are we competitive? Are we doing the UNM/SJSU thing for a third of the season? If so, move on.

And how safe do you make the guy if thresholds are passed? 2 years? 3 years? 1 year?

Based on the wild inconsistency of the program under TS, I don't think he has a shot to put together a solid year. I can see more of the same.

1) Yes- 6 Wins needs to be the absolute minimum. Unfortunately that doesn't guarantee a bowl bid. Multiple 6+ win teams are staying home this year because of too many qualifiers. Also the MWC only has 5 bowl tie-in's now with the canceling of the S.D. Poinsettia bowl. The conference has had 7 eligible teams the last few years and I have a feeling we could be left out because of our fan base.

2) Maybe? Hard to put everything on that one game without knowing where UNR will be. They might have a really good 9 win team next year. They could also take a step back without Gangi. I really want them to win this game but Sanchez has won 2 cannons in 4 years. While I want more wins this isn't a Sanford thing where he went 0-5 vs Reno and I was putting everything on that game.

3) Yes- Maybe not exactly the number 20 but I'm with you. Stuff can happen in last 5 minutes of games that skew scores but I don't want to see anymore Utah State or New Mexico type games where it's over at halftime. The team should be competitive with all teams in the conference including Boise and Fresno next year.

It's hard to say 6 wins and a bowl game when the bowl game, at that point, can have everything to do with what others across the country have done. If there is tight competition, probably won't get it with 6-6. No competition for slots and you get the bowl.

I'd say 6 wins. It's a tougher schedule for UNLV. But there's also a feel that goes with it too (even more murky than the bowl/no bowl). Are we competitive? Are we doing the UNM/SJSU thing for a third of the season? If so, move on.

And how safe do you make the guy if thresholds are passed? 2 years? 3 years? 1 year?

Based on the wild inconsistency of the program under TS, I don't think he has a shot to put together a solid year. I can see more of the same.

6 wins and bowl game. That's why I said no blowout losses in conference. Had three of them this year. Two at home.

Think of it like a bubble team in basketball. Either your resume was good enough or it wasn't.

If he goes 6-6 and makes a bowl, you give him 2 years and a friendly buyout after 1 year in case it turns south again like it did with Hauck. He doesn't like terms, move on...

Last edited:
1) Yes- 6 Wins needs to be the absolute minimum. Unfortunately that doesn't guarantee a bowl bid. Multiple 6+ win teams are staying home this year because of too many qualifiers. Also the MWC only has 5 bowl tie-in's now with the canceling of the S.D. Poinsettia bowl. The conference has had 7 eligible teams the last few years and I have a feeling we could be left out because of our fan base.

2) Maybe? Hard to put everything on that one game without knowing where UNR will be. They might have a really good 9 win team next year. They could also take a step back without Gangi. I really want them to win this game but Sanchez has won 2 cannons in 4 years. While I want more wins this isn't a Sanford thing where he went 0-5 vs Reno and I was putting everything on that game.

3) Yes- Maybe not exactly the number 20 but I'm with you. Stuff can happen in last 5 minutes of games that skew scores but I don't want to see anymore Utah State or New Mexico type games where it's over at halftime. The team should be competitive with all teams in the conference including Boise and Fresno next year.

1) Either the wins/resume were good enough or they weren't. No bowl bid he's out. If he got to six wins and no bowl that would mean his wins would probably be SUU, SJSU, Hawaii, Wyoming, CSU, Reno. Not good enough.

2) I don't care where UNR is, either the rivalry is important or it isn't. Either you are gaining ground on them or you haven't. It's year 5. Polian left that program a mess. Does that mean I expect to beat them every year? No. But Sanchez will have this years win, the facility and stadium on the horizon. If he can't parlay that into a recruiting class this year that can help beat Reno again. He should be out.

3) Fair enough on the 20 point margin. I figured if I wrote blowout loss somebody would say 'define' blowout. I should have just put no UNM, Fresno, USU type losses.

5-7 with no UNM/Howard type losses. This is UNLV football.

I was specifically told by our head coach this is a New Era!

'This is UNLV football'..

It's been the 'meh football' mantra for years by the school and boosters why it's in this mess.

5-7 in year 5 wouldn't be good enough anywhere else and it shouldn't be here.

He's got his facility. Stadium on the horizon. He will have had 5 recruiting classes to get his guys. He will have replaced nearly his entire defensive staff.

No bad losses, competitive in every MWC game, go undefeated at home and beat Reno. With the new stadium in 20, is the year that UNLV standard is 8 wins or more and actually compete in MWC, that's my hope, but knowing this is UNLV football, what the hell then.

6 wins and bowl game. That's why I said no blowout losses in conference. Had three of them this year. Two at home.

Think of it like a bubble team in basketball. Either your resume was good enough or it wasn't.

If he goes 6-6 and makes a bowl, you give him 2 years and a friendly buyout after 1 year in case it turns south again like it did with Hauck. He doesn't like terms, move on...
UNLV will be in the drivers seat with the contract. If you show any ability whatsoever that makes you attractive to others, whether it be recruiting, x’s and o’s, a turnaround, a clean up job, building a foundation - whatever; then the uni isn’t in the drivers seat. A successful season here, he has more footing. It hasn’t happened.

Terms will be/should be up to UNLV. He doesn’t have leverage.

UNLV will be in the drivers seat with the contract. If you show any ability whatsoever that makes you attractive to others, whether it be recruiting, x’s and o’s, a turnaround, a clean up job, building a foundation - whatever; then the uni isn’t in the drivers seat. A successful season here, he has more footing. It hasn’t happened.

Terms will be/should be up to UNLV. He doesn’t have leverage.

Barring a 9-3 conference title and a bowl win. UNLV has leverage in all negotiations next year.

Reality is, unless there is a bowl appearance next year there shouldn't be any extension talk.

Another 5-7 isn't growth.

Last edited:
UNLV has no leverage. UNLV has no money and doesn't pay their coach shit. UNLV would need to double or triple what they pay both the football and basketball head coaches to be competitive with the top of the MWC. When and if they can come up with the money, then maybe they have leverage, until then UNLV football is not a desirable job.

UNLV has no leverage. UNLV has no money and doesn't pay their coach shit. UNLV would need to double or triple what they pay both the football and basketball head coaches to be competitive with the top of the MWC. When and if they can come up with the money, then maybe they have leverage, until then UNLV football is not a desirable job.

New facility.
New Stadium.

It's better than it was.

Crying about the money doesn't fix things.

I've used this example many times. It doesn't take huge money, or facilities or anything else to always affect change.

Sometimes it's just finding the right guy.

Army has stunk for well over a decade. Had lost something like 14 straight to Navy. Hired a former NFL coach in Bobby Ross. Failed. Hired a hot shot FCS coordinator. Failed. Nothing worked. Went out, brought in Jeff Monken from Georgia Southern. After two tough years Army has gone to back to back bowl games and beaten Navy the last two seasons. They sit at 9-2 this year just outside the top 25.

Academic standards haven't changed. Army still can't red shirt players which is a huge disadvantage. They still struggle to attract top end HS talent because of the mandatory military service after graduation.

Two bad years followed by 3 straight bowl seasons. It doesn't always take 5 years to rebuild or a massive influx of money or new facilities. Sometimes it just takes the right dude...

My bar is basically 6-6 with next year's schedule. It is the equivalent of 7-6, 8-4 this year.

6 wins and a loss to UNR would be disappointing, but considering the rest of the schedule, I would consider it a step forward. UNR has been pretty good this year, so a loss there may not be terrible.

If we make an actual bowl game, I want to win the bowl game. We should be able to beat another mediocre team on a neutral field with no one in the stands.

I also don't want to see a "WTF" loss. No blowouts to bad teams. I'm cool with the WTF wins.

My bar is basically 6-6 with next year's schedule. It is the equivalent of 7-6, 8-4 this year.

6 wins and a loss to UNR would be disappointing, but considering the rest of the schedule, I would consider it a step forward. UNR has been pretty good this year, so a loss there may not be terrible.

If we make an actual bowl game, I want to win the bowl game. We should be able to beat another mediocre team on a neutral field with no one in the stands.

I also don't want to see a "WTF" loss. No blowouts to bad teams. I'm cool with the WTF wins.

This sound fair?

OOC

SUU- W
Arkansas State- W (Pivotal game of season)
Vandy- L
Northwestern- L

Conf
Boise- L
CSU - 50/50
Wyoming-50/50
SDSU- 50/50
Hawaii- W
SJSU- W
Reno- 50/50
Fresno- L

I got 4-4 with with 4 toss up games. 3 of 4 toss up games are on the road...Only home toss up game is SDSU.

As for the schedule being more difficult. It is, but it shouldn't be used as a crutch or excuse if he doesn't get to a bowl. He already got his pass this year by not making a bowl against an easier schedule.

Ark State may be more of a toss up than some of the others.

Wasn't CSU pretty bad this year. I'm too lazy to look it up. I know they had a terrible start to the season.

Hawaii is a toss up. They are definitely on an upswing.

I think what you say is fair.

Either way. Next year's schedule is tougher than this year, but in year 5, there should be at least 6 wins there.

Looking at the team. Can the D make a leap? At least play like they did the past 3 games?

Can Armani play like he did against UNR all season? If not will we have a capable back up that can play well enough?

We lose nearly all of our entire backfield that actually played. Williams has not looked himself since coming back, maybe another offseason will allow him to return to form after his injury?

Ark State may be more of a toss up than some of the others.

Wasn't CSU pretty bad this year. I'm too lazy to look it up. I know they had a terrible start to the season.

Hawaii is a toss up. They are definitely on an upswing.

I think what you say is fair.

Either way. Next year's schedule is tougher than this year, but in year 5, there should be at least 6 wins there.

Looking at the team. Can the D make a leap? At least play like they did the past 3 games?

Can Armani play like he did against UNR all season? If not will we have a capable back up that can play well enough?

We lose nearly all of our entire backfield that actually played. Williams has not looked himself since coming back, maybe another offseason will allow him to return to form after his injury?

CSU was bad this year. But it's in their place and Sanchez is no stranger to losing to bad teams home or away.

And I agree Ark State is more toss up, but they lose a 4 year starter at QB.

Reactions: dcut03
Army coach made $932,521 in salary in 2016 and received a nice raise, don't know the amount, UNLV coach makes $600,000. Even army pays at least $400.000 more to their coach.

Army coach made $932,521 in salary in 2016 and received a nice raise, don't know the amount, UNLV coach makes $600,000. Even army pays at least $400.000 more to their coach.

And Notre Dame and Kansas are still paying Charlie Weis. Tell me how big money helped there?

There are a lot of coaches making more than Sanchez with equally mediocre results.

Big money does not ensure successful coaching.

Broadens the field of candidates. Doesn't guarantee you'll get the right guy.

Yes Monken makes 900k. Is that why Army is better? Or maybe, hear me out here, he's just a good coach.

Again. No new facility. Can't red shirt. Tougher academic requirements. Military requirements limit recruiting pool.

He received a raise because the results on the field warranted it.

Money helps. Does not ensure success.

Bobo is making over a million at CSU. Went 3-9 this year.

Rocky Long is middle of the pack in salary. His results have been better than middle of the pack.

Norvell makes less. Bowl.

Hawaii makes less. Bowl.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT