ADVERTISEMENT

We will see what happens

j. spilotro

Publisher
Staff
May 29, 2001
Las Vegas
unlv.rivals.com
but the way this thing is going, I can’t see UNLV sticking with Sanchez next season. The reasons for sticking with him aren’t based on belief or confidence, but finances. That we can’t afford the firing of him and assistants and bringing in new ones. That’s the only thing saving him at this point, IMO.

I know there is and has been friction. So it’s not a “like” thing or I got his back...

I keep hearing we have no money whatsoever and I believe that. However, I’ve also heard DRF keeps things close to the vest, very close, and there have been workings. Have also heard there has been contact with others. Do I believe it? I don’t know, I really don’t. I guess I won’t rule I out but can only believe it when I see it.

Reactions: CRhodes1983
but the way this thing is going, I can’t see UNLV sticking with Sanchez next season. The reasons for sticking with him aren’t based on belief or confidence, but finances. That we can’t afford the firing of him and assistants and bringing in new ones. That’s the only thing saving him at this point, IMO.

I know there is and has been friction. So it’s not a “like” thing or I got his back...

I keep hearing we have no money whatsoever and I believe that. However, I’ve also heard DRF keeps things close to the vest, very close, and there have been workings. Have also heard there has been contact with others. Do I believe it? I don’t know, I really don’t. I guess I won’t rule I out but can only believe it when I see it.
The look on Sanchez face during the 4th qtr of that game was the same look on Dave Rice’s face during the waning moments of the loss to Wyoming to send us to 0-4 in conference. Dave was fired the next day. Sanchez knows it’s coming his body language can’t hide it.

Reactions: studed
The look on Sanchez face during the 4th qtr of that game was the same look on Dave Rice’s face during the waning moments of the loss to Wyoming to send us to 0-4 in conference. Dave was fired the next day. Sanchez knows it’s coming his body language can’t hide it.
I think so too. That look is telling and there’s not much they can do about it.

Tough business. That's why they get paid the big bucks though. Risk and Reward.

Amazing what Smatresk, Jessup, Bomatti, TKM and Paige have done to UNLV Athletics... We can’t afford to fire the cheapest coach in the conference. We will be adopting the CSN model soon where we ask for coaches to volunteer or only coach part time.

Amazing what Smatresk, Jessup, Bomatti, TKM and Paige have done to UNLV Athletics... We can’t afford to fire the cheapest coach in the conference. We will be adopting the CSN model soon where we ask for coaches to volunteer or only coach part time.
Not sure about 2018, but in 2017 Sanchez made $200,000 more per year than the Hawaii coach.

Country is in the biggest boom ever and UNLV is broke. Makes no sense. WTF do they do with the money coming in.

70,000 for first year dental students. Ugg.. she should’ve gone somewhere else

Someone should audit that sh!t hole
Sounds like even if 15k showed up at every home game and it wouldn’t make a difference

Then that is truly sad.

I haven’t been much of a football fan compared to hoops, but have had season tickets the last 5 or so years. Haven’t been to one game this year and haven’t missed it. It’s nice having a whole Saturday to do stuff around the house or watch real college FB on TV.

Unlv athletics is on life support IMO. Can’t remember a time when I’ve cared less in the last 35 years.

Then that is truly sad.

I haven’t been much of a football fan compared to hoops, but have had season tickets the last 5 or so years. Haven’t been to one game this year and haven’t missed it. It’s nice having a whole Saturday to do stuff around the house or watch real college FB on TV.

Unlv athletics is on life support IMO. Can’t remember a time when I’ve cared less in the last 35 years.
I really believe UNLV athletics is finished. With the way the local sports landscape has shifted with Knights and Raiders I just don’t see how we will be able to compete. Need fans to have money but need money for coaching talent. Chicken and the egg problem that has no fix unless we were to have a T. Boone Pickens type benefactor which we don’t. We’re done. This next hire UNLV makes for football coach could very well be the last hire they make. There has to be serious questions about UNLV even continuing to field a football team.

Knee jerk reactions ......Could TS go after this year perhaps if AR comes back and they win against Reno he might get one more year, but unless money flows in a new hire won't come. I don't think TS is long term answer at all but he was the man at the right time he got money flowing in(it will probably be a trickle after this year) and the facilities. It went from let him coach year 1 in the new stadium to 1 year with the new facilities. Dominate or you're gone. He is on his last year my crystal ball opinion, I want to be fair to Tony let him have 1 year to enjoy his facilities but if it's anything less than a banner year he's gone. The Armani injury he might survive.

Last edited:
Knee jerk reactions ......Could TS go after this year perhaps if AR comes back and they win against Reno he might get one more year, but unless money flows in a new hire won't come. I don't think TS is long term answer at all but he was the man at the right time he got money flowing in(it will probably be a trickle after this year) and the facilities. It went from let him coach year 1 in the new stadium to 1 year with the new facilities. Dominate or you're gone. He is on his last year my crystal ball opinion, I want to be fair to Tony let him have 1 year to enjoy his facilities but if it's anything less than a banner year he's gone. The Armani injury he might survive.

Anyone that defends TS at this point must have an agenda.

I really believe UNLV athletics is finished. With the way the local sports landscape has shifted with Knights and Raiders I just don’t see how we will be able to compete.

This. Except the Administration doesn't accept this reality yet. We are going to bleed to death.

Kill football and move basketball to the Big West or WCC. For real.

This. Except the Administration doesn't accept this reality yet. We are going to bleed to death.

Kill football and move basketball to the Big West or WCC. For real.

They went all in on football (to an extent) with the football complex. They can't kill football now.

They won't have much money, unless DRF has been cooking some up from somewhere. Giving Sanchez year may be necessary. They have a built in excuse with Armani being out, pretty much all of our recent past coaches have gotten their 5th years with most of them having less wins. Also in order to lure the next coach, having the practice facility and stadium their first year will be a selling point.

Again, moving to the Big West will hurt athletics even further. Drop from a top 10 basketball conference to a bottom 8? Again we aren't going to the WCC. They are all private, religious based schools. When SDSU was going to leave for the Big East they had to join the Big West which would have killed their B ball program.

Reactions: JAGERVEGAS
Very disappointing season, I really thought CTS was going to get the job done. Improved every year and a new facility it looked like this could set up as a potential bowl season. So now back to the drawing board. I hear DJ Durkin is available, LOL. This type is probably who we have to take a chance on, not that he did anything spectacular his short time at Maryland. Not necessarily him but someone like him, baggage and needs a second chance. Brady Hoke never came back to college, maybe he is one of those types that does better in small schools like Ball St and SDSU. Isn't he a position coach someplace in the NFL? We might be able to compete with that salary wise.

The problem is the Armani injury is his fault. No quarterback can run that much without getting injured.

But running is all AR has. He can't throw the damn ball. It's obvious the QB coach can't teach. ALL the QBs we've had under this guy haven't learned anything to improve

The shift to a first time defensive coordinator has made things difficult despite a productive scoring offense.

It was difficult with an experienced DC..

The absolute biggest reason UNLV is struggling on defense was the 2016 class. Sanchez 2nd year.

It was Sanchez biggest class (27). Of those 27 only ten were on the defensive side.

Of those ten, eight are no longer on the team. The two left, have not hit the field or recorded any meaningful production.

Essentially an entire class was wasted, providing zero depth and zero production. Those players would be RS Sophomores or juniors this year. There should be guys from that class starting or providing depth this year.

This is a huge part of the problem on defense.

Reactions: CRhodes1983
But running is all AR has. He can't throw the damn ball. It's obvious the QB coach can't teach. ALL the QBs we've had under this guy haven't learned anything to improve
From what I understand Rogers was recruited as a wide receiver by other schools. UNLV gave him an offer at quarterback, so this is what you have now. As far as a coach to develop the QB's, you can't hire your buddy from your old high school you coached at and expect him to teach these kids anything. If he was that good, he would have been at some other college coaching already. In my opinion Hauck had a much better eye for talent than Sanchez, when it comes to recruiting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT