ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s check ourselves- share stats…

RedCannon

UNLV Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2006
Austin, TX
Call it years… decade + of being leathered/scarred from being optimistic about a new coach or wins in a row. I really do love this hire, being defensive minded!!… and the staff he put together I’m really happy with.

I have a sick feeling that we have been wining games that we should win and adding more value to them than I think is warranted. (I don’t think Coach is doing this, which I’m happy with) This was literally a back of the chipotle napkin numbers of Ws Ls of opponents records for us and our next game. While we should win the most important game of the year - I really think this is a game that is not really represented by the teams Ws & Ls. It’s still ‘early-ish’ in the season, but I think it shows a little more light on who you beat and lost to.
* chart is not showing in format correct

UNLV 4-1 UNR 0-5
W L. W. L
2-3. 5-0
5-0. 4-1
2-4. 4-1
1-5. 4-1
2-4. 5-0
____________________________ __________________________________
7-16. 5-0. N/A. 22-3

UNLVs wins are against teams with combined record of 7-16
loss is against 5-0 team
UNR wins…NA
losses against teams with combined record of 22-3

Wanted to share - hope others share other stats.

I see this team progressing and growing (maybe it’s the optimist in me), but I really feel the extra week with the new staff will help bring it to another level. Well,… I guess reno could say the same. :confused:

Last edited:
Call it years… decade + of being leathered/scarred from being optimistic about a new coach or wins in a row. I really do love this hire, being defensive minded!!… and the staff he put together I’m really happy with.

I have a sick feeling that we have been wining games that we should win and adding more value to them than I think is warranted. (I don’t think Coach is doing this, which I’m happy with) This was literally a back of the chipotle napkin numbers of Ws Ls of opponents records for us and our next game. While we should win the most important game of the year - I really think this is a game that is not really represented by the teams Ws & Ls. It’s still ‘early-ish’ in the season, but I think it shows a little more light on who you beat and lost to.

UNLV 4-1 UNR 0-5
W L. W. L
2-3. 5-0
5-0. 4-1
2-4. 4-1
1-5. 4-1
2-4. 5-0
7-16. 5-0. N/A. 22-3

I see this team progressing and growing (maybe it’s the optimist in me), but I really feel the extra week with the new staff will help bring it to another level. Well,… I guess reno could say the same. :confused:

It's great perspective actually.

I guess my take would be yes schedule is weak but.

Years past outside of Sanchez getting Vandy on the road, that would have been the spot Rebs play a P5 school close but lose.

Years past A team like UTEP or Hawaii would typically beat us early in the season and leave us scratching our heads.

I still think we may lose a head scratcher this year, but it will be more about the guys inside the lines and not a failure from the dudes with the headsets.

I think the talent is better but we are still probably upper middle of the pack. (Despite really good class rankings).

I’m definitely more nervous going into the Reno game than others. This will be a big test for the staff to see if they can get our guys up for matching UNR’s intensity (this is their only meaningful game this season) or will our guys be caught reading the press clippings about their great start. Hoping Odom is preaching win or walk home.

UNLV 4-1 UNR 0-5
W L. W. L
2-3. 5-0
5-0. 4-1
2-4. 4-1
1-5. 4-1
2-4. 5-0
7-16. 5-0. N/A. 22-3

UNLVs wins are against teams with combined record of 7-16
loss is against 5-0 team
UNR wins…NA
losses against teams with combined record of 22-3

Two of those losses are to FCS Idaho 33-6 at home and then to Texas State. I agree we have been beating bad teams, but Reno has lost to worse teams. It’s a rivalry game on the road. But they’re giving up 185 yards/game on the ground and 6 yards/carry. Also 330 yards/ game through the air. They’ve quit on their coach. I expect a close game but we will win.

Last edited:
Two of those losses are to FCS Idaho 33-6 at home and then to Texas State. I agree we have been beating bad teams, but Reno has lost to worse teams. It’s a rivalry game on the road. But they’re giving up 185 yards/game on the ground and 6 yards/carry. Also 330 yards/ game through the air. They’ve quit on their coach. I expect a close game but we will win.
I wonder if Joe going to put his +17 pts for UNLV again?

We knew going in that the schedule was going to be weak, which is why a bowl game wasn't a crazy thought.

I thought that this year's schedule would be comparable to last year's which was also very weak.

It may actually be a bit easier, though I thought we lucked out avoiding Boise and SDSU this season. However we actually do have to play the top 3 teams in the conference this year in Fresno, AFA, and Wyoming. So I would love to trade BSU and SDSU for some of those teams.

But the rest of the league is down, even more than last season. Utah State ( which we avoid), Reno, SJSU all seem to be be maybe even worse than last year. Hawaii actually may be better, but still poor, same with UNM and CSU.

I do think that it is safe to say that we are better than last year's team at this point. Like 2000 said, in years past it seemed like every team would get better and we would not. I feel the very opposite this season. You can see the improvement every week.

I think it is safe to say that we are a second tier MW team right now. It's probably us and Boise in that category currently. Everyone else is in the trenches. Some of those teams could get it together and improve, others are likely to stay in the doldrums.

Since we get a shot at each of the top 3 teams, and the fact that it seems like we are improving with potential to get even better, than I do think we have a shot to be in that upper tier this season. But we would have to continue to improve. Most specifically limiting the big play potential against us through the air, and maybe being more balanced, or at least of a threat, to throw the ball downfield. If we can't take advantage of stacked boxes then I think our running game will lose it's potential.

I’m definitely more nervous going into the Reno game than others. This will be a big test for the staff to see if they can get our guys up for matching UNR’s intensity (this is their only meaningful game this season) or will our guys be caught reading the press clippings about their great start. Hoping Odom is preaching win or walk home.
Do you think that THIS game is so important to Reno that they and their fans will lose all sense of discipline and implode due to penalties? I can see it getting ugly very fast. Please, what are your thoughts?

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Do you think that THIS game is so important to Reno that they and their fans will lose all sense of discipline and implode due to penalties? I can see it getting ugly very fast. Please, what are your thoughts?
Being pumped up is usually a good thing, but it sure as hell can crush you too. I think poise is more important than being amped, myself.

Being pumped up is usually a good thing, but it sure as hell can crush you too. I think poise is more important than being amped, myself.
They have 20 fumbles in 5 games? WTF? They’ve only lost 9, but good heavens that’s bad. Average 1 INT/game as well. If we can turn them over it will be 13+ point win.

Last edited:
The stat I hate is 0 TD for Rickey White. Has 23 receptions for 320 yards…and none of them are in the endzone. He deserves that to change.
Rickey White attracts more defenders than fly on sh!t. Once in awhile he will be alone with CB, that is when he'll catch them bombs. The pro scouts sees it, too. De Jesus and McKie need to separates and catch them! That is the only way they will lax off White.

Rebs need to match intensity and play hard to the whistle. Don't get drawn into any stupid penalties.

Best comparison would be Knights vs Panthers in Stanley Cup. Panthers did everything possible to get under guys skin. Knights played physical. Retaliated when they had too but overall just stuck to playing the game. Panthers were frustrated and basically imploded. They had one chance to win series. Get Knights to take stupid penalties.

Same goes here. Reno needs to make it an ugly game. Draw some personal fouls. Get in guys heads.

Don't get baited into any nonsense. In a straight up game Rebs look to be the better team.

Or we need another WR who can create separation and make some plays!
Need our QB to be Accurate. We have not scratched the surface of what the GO GO offense can do. We have the WR'S to take deep shots down the field.

Rickey White attracts more defenders than fly on sh!t. Once in awhile he will be alone with CB, that is when he'll catch them bombs. The pro scouts sees it, too. De Jesus and McKie need to separates and catch them! That is the only way they will lax off White.
He’s open more than you think. Maiava is finally comfortable in the pocket to start looking down field. We saw it in the Hawaii game. The shots are there to take, it’s whether or not maiava wants to risk it.

Strength of schedule … Records of each team against the Ws and Ls
UNLV. 5-1
Ws. 9-25
Ls. 7-0

CSU. 3-3
Ws 7-14.
Ls 11-9

This will be a nice game to keep building, but I really think we need to be 100% in all 3 aspects of the game to get another W.

Better in passing
Better on special teams and even on running. Equals a two point win.

Reactions: RedCannon
We held nation's 2nd best passing offense to 253 yards, a NFL receiver to 48 yards... while putting up 353 yards through the air... Maiava answered the bell each time

The offense gets a lot of praise on here (deservedly so).

But the defense really has been pretty good.

If you look at the bigger metrics like total defense (yards allowed) Rebs don't rank very high.

But underlying metrics tell a different story. Sacks are up, turnovers up, tackles for loss are up, 3rd down efficiency is good. They've also shaved 4-5 points per game off from last year.

Tonight I thought the defense played really well. Gave up one deep ball, but otherwise kept everything in front of them. Gave up one big run. Also got hit with one other big pass play on a crossing route but I think defender got caught up in traffic.

Looking at the numbers the defense played pretty well. It was the offense that made this game closer than it should have been. Not being able to get the ball into the end zone and settling for FGs instead. The game could have been another blowout. But the team not giving up and playing for a full 60 minutes shows the spirit they have. So different from past Rebels. 👏👏

Looking at the numbers the defense played pretty well. It was the offense that made this game closer than it should have been. Not being able to get the ball into the end zone and settling for FGs instead. The game could have been another blowout. But the team not giving up and playing for a full 60 minutes shows the spirit they have. So different from past Rebels. 👏👏

I think the inability to get seven was what made the offense feel like it was kinda struggling. Almost 500 yards of offense but it didn't feel like it.

I think the inability to get seven was what made the offense feel like it was kinda struggling. Almost 500 yards of offense but it didn't feel like it.
Exactly... Especially that drive in the 4th where Maiava got tripped by a finger and came up a yard short on the scramble.. He probably takes it to the house if not for the CSU players fingertips..

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
My only issue with the O is we don't stretch the field which allows teams to play us in a tighter window. Gotta take some deep shots to open it up. On the flip it does open up long runs if the RBs can get past the 1st-2nd level. If the O can progress to doing that a few times a game, even if they are mostly incompletions and mix in the TE's more in the passing game to occupy the LBs, the offense would take a huge step. Ballungay is a monster and Zeon has hands as well.

My only issue with the O is we don't stretch the field which allows teams to play us in a tighter window. Gotta take some deep shots to open it up. On the flip it does open up long runs if the RBs can get past the 1st-2nd level. If the O can progress to doing that a few times a game, even if they are mostly incompletions and mix in the TE's more in the passing game to occupy the LBs, the offense would take a huge step. Ballungay is a monster and Zeon has hands as well.

I tend to agree, the run game is our bread and butter but I do think 1 or 2 shots down field would help loosen up the defense.

I tend to agree, the run game is our bread and butter but I do think 1 or 2 shots down field would help loosen up the defense.
And we have a couple of deep threats that do damage.

We run a decent amount of play action, but they are still mostly quick throws.

Another thing we rarely see are shorter crossing patterns. It seems like we get thrown on quite a bit with those patterns, but rarely run them ourselves.

And we have a couple of deep threats that do damage.

We run a decent amount of play action, but they are still mostly quick throws.

Another thing we rarely see are shorter crossing patterns. It seems like we get thrown on quite a bit with those patterns, but rarely run them ourselves.
Perhaps because the defense is already stacked up in the box?

Reactions: Mojo702 and dcut03
TE on the seam routes would be nice, I think the last TE that was used graduated 2 years ago, Fauolo and before that maybe Estandia! Lol

Reactions: dcut03
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT