ADVERTISEMENT

We All Need to Change our Mindset

RebelBuzz

Retired Number
Jan 13, 2015
Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me; yada yada yada.

We are 4 games in, and UNLV is consistently showing that this is a different team than years past. Say what you will about #TheNewEra being cliché or trite, this team has backed it up with their play on the field. This is a different team.

Because of that, we all need to change our mindset about this team and our expectations for it. Going into NIU, everybody knew that the Rebs would get blown out by the MAC champion, the same way we got pummeled by Wiscy, Minny, and Arizona in the past. Not so much. The Rebs came out and had every chance to win that game.

Going into UCLA and Michigan games, everybody knew that the Rebels were overmatched and that the games would get ugly againist superior talent from a superior conference, just as years past. Not so much. The Rebs came out and showed flashes against both teams, with the defense more than holding their own.

Going into ISU, everybody knew that the Rebels had better talent, but that a victory was not a lock, and a close victory was likely. This was based on our history against Northern Colorado, SUU, NAU, etc. Not so much. 80-8. Enough said.

Our expectations for each game have been molded not by what we've seen on the field this year, but by what previous Rebel teams did for the past 15 years.

Change your mindset. The team sure has. We should too.

New coaches, new players, new uniforms, new field, new attitude, new swagger. New results.

#TheNewEra

You're right. I'm so hesitant to say what I'm thinking because it shouldn't be possible. Sanchez said he has the guys that he needs to win the conference. Coach speak? Possibly but I think he believes it. There's nothing special about anyone else in our path. I for one, am going to stop with the "intellectual honesty" shtick. GO REBELS!

For the record, if anyone saw Sanchez face right when the NIU game was over, you get the idea that he really thought that we were going to win going in to that game - and we almost did.

One more thing, if we wipe the gridiron with reno at their house in CTS's first year - it gets difficult to imagine reno getting the cannon back any time soon.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me; yada yada yada.

We are 4 games in, and UNLV is consistently showing that this is a different team than years past. Say what you will about #TheNewEra being cliché or trite, this team has backed it up with their play on the field. This is a different team.

Because of that, we all need to change our mindset about this team and our expectations for it. Going into NIU, everybody knew that the Rebs would get blown out by the MAC champion, the same way we got pummeled by Wiscy, Minny, and Arizona in the past. Not so much. The Rebs came out and had every chance to win that game.

Going into UCLA and Michigan games, everybody knew that the Rebels were overmatched and that the games would get ugly againist superior talent from a superior conference, just as years past. Not so much. The Rebs came out and showed flashes against both teams, with the defense more than holding their own.

Going into ISU, everybody knew that the Rebels had better talent, but that a victory was not a lock, and a close victory was likely. This was based on our history against Northern Colorado, SUU, NAU, etc. Not so much. 80-8. Enough said.

Our expectations for each game have been molded not by what we've seen on the field this year, but by what previous Rebel teams did for the past 15 years.

Change your mindset. The team sure has. We should too.

New coaches, new players, new uniforms, new field, new attitude, new swagger. New results.

#TheNewEra

I didn't see this post until after I made similar comments in another thread. I totally agree. According to the experts, UNLV has halfway filled its quota of wins for the season. But it's evident these kids want to win much more than that. MWC play will be interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT