ADVERTISEMENT

UNLV-Wyo thread

MonsterJam

Rebel Legend
May 29, 2001
Down early by 12 - looks like we might get pwnd tonight.

Microphone next to student section is nice. "F@^# UNLV!" LOL

Idk who said it, or which thread it was in.... but the notion that the team lives and dies by Jovan's play seems to be holding up tonight....Wyo has shut him down

Menzies made some nice corrections at the half and got the team going and motivated for a nice second half. Long time since I have seen real coaching at the half for UNLV basketball.

Reactions: Rebel Chi-girl
All you have to do is steal the ball go down and dunk it. Then steal it again and shoot a 3 to finish the game.

Easy.

lost by one - Jovan tried another miracle shot, but not that time. Good game. Would have loved to get the win, but that close...

Didn't need a second 30 footer at the end....still had time for a quick 2 or pick up a foul....foolish shot imo

After the AF game, someone noted that there are only two outcomes in a basketball game. One being very good, and the other very bad. In that instance, The Rebels came out on the good side. I disagree with the premise. A win in Laramie would have been great, but I still think that this game was a good one. They showed heart and grit and any other adjective that denotes courage.

Down 18 at the half, in a cold and unfriendly gym, it would have been very easy to hang their heads and play out the string. They hadn’t even played all that badly in falling behind by 20. They just couldn’t put the ball in the basket. And The Cowboys were hot.

But MM confirmed my opinion from an earlier thread (which was met with some blow-back, Joe :boxing:) that he’s a quality X’s and O’s game-coach. He made some half-time adjustments, most notably Morgan for Poyser, and they clawed their way back. Maybe he’s been reading Rebel-Net about JP.[roll]

The one negative to take from the loss is the inconsistent free-throw shooting at the end. They could have put this one away at the line, but failed to do so. But I’m still greatly encouraged by this effort. The team is getting better. I hope that they feel the same.

Saturday they’re at San Jose St. They WILL WIN!

images

Go Rebels!

Reactions: Rebel Chi-girl
The bad shooting at the line may have also been due to the elevation at 7,200+ feet. It is tough to catch your breath!

Ide say usually that would be a weaker excuse (like blaming refs for everything) but given the fact that 12 of them had never played there before, you may be on to something lol

Wyoming shot poorly from the line as well, under 50%.

It was Green that killed us late on the line. In the last few minutes he went 2-5 and missed a front end so basically he was 2-6. Not to mention 1-6 from the field. Its clear to see its no longer a slump when you when you look at his numbers for conference. He is the player most of us thought he was and its time he plays very little.

Just saw some video of Marvin Menzies after the game. He was visibly upset with Mooring’s decision on the last play. Down one, with six+ seconds on the clock, Coach drew up a play for JoJo to drive the lane and feed Jones or Dembele. They were to either go to the rim, or kick it back to an open shooter. It was definitely not to pull-up for a contested 28-footer. JoJo says that he felt his man back-off a bit, and block his path. So he took the shot.

But Menzies knew that Mooring was partly responsible, along with Zion Morgan, for The Rebels being back in the game, at all. Not to mention the numerous shots, just like that, JoJo sank. So, he was obviously resisting the temptation to be hard on him. I’m sure the coaching staff will go over the film, and have some instruction about it over the next few days, before San Jose St.

Asked about Poyser’s benching. MM pointed out that playing time is based on performance, not seniority. Jalen was 0-6 in the first half, so he saw only three minutes in the second. He did, however, hit a critical 3-pointer. Menzies declined to address who would start on Saturday.
images

Go Rebels!
(17 days until P’S & C’S report to Spring Training!)

I saw the vid as well. I watch every post game presser and this is the first time I've seen Menzies this shaken up over a loss. Hopefully the team will take out their frustrations on poor, poor San Jose State. Need to remind them that even in a rebuilding year we will savage them haha

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT