ADVERTISEMENT

Unlv & Air Force in contact w/AAC

In the end, I feel UNLV ends up in the Pac12....but I'd rather sit on a mountain of cash and wait for 2 years

I don't disagree..

But wait for what?

The problem in this whole scenario is there are a lot of promises being made on one side (PAC media deal etc)

And a lot of assumption on the other (We have all this money now so surely surely the BIG12 will take us this time. No way we'll still be playing football against SW Texas School of Kinesiology. There's no way that our basketball team will be playing on courts that also have volleyball lines on them forever.

I don't disagree..

But wait for what?

The problem in this whole scenario is there are a lot of promises being made on one side (PAC media deal etc)

And a lot of assumption on the other (We have all this money now so surely surely the BIG12 will take us this time. No way we'll still be playing football against SW Texas School of Kinesiology. There's no way that our basketball team will be playing on courts that also have volleyball lines on them forever.
The waiting is dangerous. There is absolutely no way that we wait 2 years before a new MW contract is made. If we end up staying and resign that contract, it better be before the NEW media contract. It may be weeks. I can see the MW grabbing UTEP and NMSU and stopping there at 10. Getting a new contract and calling it a day. Then talking with AAC for some sort of cross conference championship game or something.
But even then, we will be looking at higher exit fees and hope the Big 12 comes calling in 2 years But at least no poaching fee. Saying no now may not fully burn the PAC 12 bridge, but it would definitely be smoking.
Then we hope that the AAC may still want us to travel across country for less money than what we would have gotten with the PAC?

The longer we wait this season, the higher potential our media value gets. So in a way, the PAC should want us to wait as well. Because they can come in with our metrics this season and drive up our value, and by proxy the full PAC 12 media value.
It seems that the hold up with UNLV is our market share. But if we can show them near top of the league TV numbers then they may have to change their assessment.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
It is a huge risk, but we use that money to pay coaches and for NIL for bball and fball. Keep the winning going and get into a conference with just us and Georgia.

• Haha
It is a huge risk, but we use that money to pay coaches and for NIL for bball and fball. Keep the winning going and get into a conference with just us and Georgia.
This was pretty much what I have been getting at also. The MWC is currently in a media deal, and UNLV will continue to make around $5-6 million per year for the next 2 years, as they typically do. Then, in 2 years, when those other schools leave, UNLV would get their cut from the $85 from the schools that are leaving.

On top of that is this poaching penalty stuff that the PAC is suing the MWC over. The fee is $10 million per school, plus $500,000 extra for each one after the first.

So 10, then 10.5, then 11, etc. If that's correct, with the 5 schools leaving would now be a fee of $55 million. That 55 million is supposed to be paid within 30 days of making an announcement. So per contract, the MWC should have that money in the next month.

I don't know how the MWC spends that money, or what the stipulations are for dispersing it though. Does it go directly into the hands of the remaining schools? I doubt it. But either way, the MWC 'should' be in line to receive $140,000,000 within the next 2 years. That's a lot of money.

In my ideal world, we would stay in the conference for at least 2 years, while it's still the same schools. In that time, be working towards getting into either the PAC, the AAC, or the Big12. In the meantime, the MWC will be trying to get a new media deal negotiated, which I would assume would much smaller than the current one. If that's the case, the cost to leave the conference should go down significantly also.

But a lot of my thoughts on this are just speculation because we don't know the terms of any of this stuff.
1. What offer is the PAC making to UNLV?
2. How much is the MWC offering UNLV to stay?
3. If we stay, what are the terms for distributing the $140 million over the next 2 years?

Well you're not done yet.
Is this a good take or horse poop?

It's highly contradictory.

1) It is strategic, in a way. The payment was due 30 days after a school left. They had to bring it now. That's not the strategy. The strategy is to get the MWC to take less than what they are owed under the contract

2) If money damages are being sought, then I would agree you would rather be on the party suing than the party being sued. This is not that type of lawsuit. It is a lawsuit asking a judge to say poaching fees are unenforceable. In this instance, it is probably better to be the MWC.

3) "It also has to be emphasized that the Pac-12 signed the scheduling agreement with the MWC in good faith." Is a throw away line and means nothing. It actually is evidence that the poaching fee should be enforced. I.e., the Pac12 knowingly and willingly entered this contract.

4) "Its suit is much like that of FSU and Clemson v ACC trying to get out of grant of rights claiming exit fees are "exorbitant." is not really that true. Pac12's lawsuit is not saying the fees are too high, but a) that they were in financial distress and forced into a contract; aka the mean MWC took advantage of us, and b) the MWC is already being compensated by the $17M exit fees the schools are paying for leaving.

TBH, the MWC has the law on it's side.

It's highly contradictory.

1) It is strategic, in a way. The payment was due 30 days after a school left. They had to bring it now. That's not the strategy. The strategy is to get the MWC to take less than what they are owed under the contract

2) If money damages are being sought, then I would agree you would rather be on the party suing than the party being sued. This is not that type of lawsuit. It is a lawsuit asking a judge to say poaching fees are unenforceable. In this instance, it is probably better to be the MWC.

3) "It also has to be emphasized that the Pac-12 signed the scheduling agreement with the MWC in good faith." Is a throw away line and means nothing. It actually is evidence that the poaching fee should be enforced. I.e., the Pac12 knowingly and willingly entered this contract.

4) "Its suit is much like that of FSU and Clemson v ACC trying to get out of grant of rights claiming exit fees are "exorbitant." is not really that true. Pac12's lawsuit is not saying the fees are too high, but a) that they were in financial distress and forced into a contract; aka the mean MWC took advantage of us, and b) the MWC is already being compensated by the $17M exit fees the schools are paying for leaving.

TBH, the MWC has the law on it's side.

You could have saved yourself time and just said 'mostly horse poop'. You think I understood any of that explanation..🤣

This was pretty much what I have been getting at also. The MWC is currently in a media deal, and UNLV will continue to make around $5-6 million per year for the next 2 years, as they typically do. Then, in 2 years, when those other schools leave, UNLV would get their cut from the $85 from the schools that are leaving.

On top of that is this poaching penalty stuff that the PAC is suing the MWC over. The fee is $10 million per school, plus $500,000 extra for each one after the first.

So 10, then 10.5, then 11, etc. If that's correct, with the 5 schools leaving would now be a fee of $55 million. That 55 million is supposed to be paid within 30 days of making an announcement. So per contract, the MWC should have that money in the next month.

I don't know how the MWC spends that money, or what the stipulations are for dispersing it though. Does it go directly into the hands of the remaining schools? I doubt it. But either way, the MWC 'should' be in line to receive $140,000,000 within the next 2 years. That's a lot of money.

In my ideal world, we would stay in the conference for at least 2 years, while it's still the same schools. In that time, be working towards getting into either the PAC, the AAC, or the Big12. In the meantime, the MWC will be trying to get a new media deal negotiated, which I would assume would much smaller than the current one. If that's the case, the cost to leave the conference should go down significantly also.

But a lot of my thoughts on this are just speculation because we don't know the terms of any of this stuff.
1. What offer is the PAC making to UNLV?
2. How much is the MWC offering UNLV to stay?
3. If we stay, what are the terms for distributing the $140 million over the next 2 years?
I forgot about USU, so the MW would likely need a third team to get to 10. Which would likely mean a FBS call up or Texas State or Sam Houston state or something.

Again Expect the exit fees to be about half. So 9 mil for 5 teams is 45 milly. So a good round number if the PAC lawsuit fails is 100 mil for the MW if no one else leaves.

Some of that would be used to bring new teams in. But hopefully that won't be too expensive.

How much of that is distributed to the teams? Really hard to say. The league will likely hold on to most to protect them from the next raiding. I can see them sharing the poaching fee

What I am saying is that we shouldn't count on UNLV netting a 6th or 7th of 140 million which would be 23 mil. It will likely not be a 6th of 100 mil either.

So yes, staying will get us some money. But it won't be 30. If we sign we are guaranteed the 10, but beyond that?

I forgot about USU, so the MW would likely need a third team to get to 10. Which would likely mean a FBS call up or Texas State or Sam Houston state or something.

Again Expect the exit fees to be about half. So 9 mil for 5 teams is 45 milly. So a good round number if the PAC lawsuit fails is 100 mil for the MW if no one else leaves.

Some of that would be used to bring new teams in. But hopefully that won't be too expensive.

How much of that is distributed to the teams? Really hard to say. The league will likely hold on to most to protect them from the next raiding. I can see them sharing the poaching fee

What I am saying is that we shouldn't count on UNLV netting a 6th or 7th of 140 million which would be 23 mil. It will likely not be a 6th of 100 mil either.

So yes, staying will get us some money. But it won't be 30. If we sign we are guaranteed the 10, but beyond that?
I don't know the inner workings of these conferences. Does the commissioner of each conference have full control over the decisions on when and how much to release of this money? What's the point of having a boat load of money sitting in the conference war chest if the schools in the conference aren't able to benefit from it?

That would actually be a reason for the remaining MWC members to vote to dissolve the conference. Let the dust settle on the 5 schools leaving (or 6 if another commits to the PAC), then agree that in 2 years, you vote to dissolve and distribute all the money.

Reactions: dcut03
I don't know the inner workings of these conferences. Does the commissioner of each conference have full control over the decisions on when and how much to release of this money? What's the point of having a boat load of money sitting in the conference war chest if the schools in the conference aren't able to benefit from it?

That would actually be a reason for the remaining MWC members to vote to dissolve the conference. Let the dust settle on the 5 schools leaving (or 6 if another commits to the PAC), then agree that in 2 years, you vote to dissolve and distribute all the money.
It would be foolish for the conference to fully distribute the funds if they want to survive. Only if they were planning to dissolve which seems very unlikely. If they go out grab more teams you KNOW that ain't happening.

What's great is that in another 4 years we will likely have threads discussing how the folks that said moving to the PAC were idiots because something goes sideways or we're stuck playing some Directional Texas school in basketball with a pile of money and no B12 invite wasting away in the 6th best G6 conference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT