ADVERTISEMENT

Unlv & Air Force in contact w/AAC

Very possible.

Also Possible.

Pac got who they wanted initially.

Swung for fences. (Memphis)

Missed. (possibly)

And now revert to contingency plan.
But the PAC 2 should have known the precedent of SMU’s departure from the AAC and the $25 mill exit fee. How much do the departing 4 currently owe to the MWC? $60-80 mill?

Reactions: LVRebel2000
But the PAC 2 should have known the precedent of SMU’s departure from the AAC and the $25 mill exit fee. How much do the departing 4 currently owe to the MWC? $60-80 mill?
25 mil is still better than the 17 plus 12+ mill for UNLV right now.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
From the Tucson news paper. Total cost and amount owed to the MWC is $115 mill.

There are two main components:

• The exit fees Boise State, Colorado State, Fresno State and San Diego State owe the Mountain West. So long as they give official notice of departure at least one year in advance, the fee is about $18 million per school (one year of conference revenue distributions).

• The poaching penalty that was written into the 2024 scheduling agreement between the Pac-12 and Mountain West and equates to $43 million for the four schools combined.https://tucson.com/news/state-regio...cfa4fbce11.html#tracking-source=mp-in-article

In all, the Pac-12 and its new members are staring at approximately $115 million, or $28.8 million per school.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
From the Tucson news paper. Total cost and amount owed to the MWC is $115 mill.

There are two main components:

• The exit fees Boise State, Colorado State, Fresno State and San Diego State owe the Mountain West. So long as they give official notice of departure at least one year in advance, the fee is about $18 million per school (one year of conference revenue distributions).

• The poaching penalty that was written into the 2024 scheduling agreement between the Pac-12 and Mountain West and equates to $43 million for the four schools combined.https://tucson.com/news/state-regio...cfa4fbce11.html#tracking-source=mp-in-article

In all, the Pac-12 and its new members are staring at approximately $115 million, or $28.8 million per school.

I'm still inclined to believe it was planned pretty well.

You disrupt MWC. Get top targets.

Then turn attention to 'bigger' fish.

If you get them great.

If not you are out nothing because you still pretty much have your pick of MWC teams you want to add.

You only need 2 more.

I think if Memphis falls through,

UNLV and possibly USU are in play now.

I totally understand your point.

I just think even if PAC hits road block with Memphis there was contingency plans in place.

Maybe Gloria was a little smarter than she is being given credit for? I would play hard ball if I were her. Take us ALL or fork up the $115 mill. Also, I will be the new Commissioner of the NEW PAC!

The PAC settled on 65 mil from the exiting 10 teams last season. The PAC had a record revenue last year. 604 million. Total payout for the 2 remains schools is over 66 mil.
The conference had a net revenue from just last year alone, of around 60 mil. This after paying all of the schools.
This does not account for any other residual revenue they have ammased over the years or the NCAAT payouts that are coming their way from last season alone, which is at least 18 million.
My point is that the PAC has some money to work with.

Maybe Gloria was a little smarter than she is being given credit for? I would play hard ball if I were her. Take us ALL or fork up the $115 mill. Also, I will be the new Commissioner of the NEW PAC!
I would be curious if her putting it in the deal that she would be the hew commish would get her in legal trouble?

Also, the $43 mill poaching penalty in the scheduling agreement was very smart.

I would have asked..

'How much you got from that PAC payout?

Insert number....

That's the poaching fee then.

Well we won't sign a scheduling agreement.

Sweet enjoy scrambling looking to fill your schedule.

I'm still inclined to believe it was planned pretty well.

You disrupt MWC. Get top targets.

Then turn attention to 'bigger' fish.

If you get them great.

If not you are out nothing because you still pretty much have your pick of MWC teams you want to add.

You only need 2 more.

I think if Memphis falls through,

UNLV and possibly USU are in play now.

I totally understand your point.

I just think even if PAC hits road block with Memphis there was contingency plans in place.
The way Utah State is playing 0-3 Temple, maybe they should consider moving down to a lower division? Temple 31 Utah St. 21 with Temple deep in the Utah State side.

That part was more tongue in cheek. But she should play hard ball and now she will have a stash of cash to offer UNLV or maybe USU to stay in the MWC.
I do not really feel like she looked out for the NWC teams overall, but time will tell!

Last edited:
Honestly they should have just agreed to terms with 8 or 9 MW teams (however many a vote takes) and then have them dissolve the conference. Even if you only wanted 5-6, you take the extra 2-3 and it costs you literally nothing if you’re WSU and OSU. Sure you’re not gonna make as much on the next TV deal, but how much less? Even if you said it was gonna be $5 million per year less each and this whole rebuilding the PAC thing is gonna cost you $100 million… that’s 10 years it would take before it isn’t worth it.

That part was more tongue in cheek. But she should play hard ball and now she will have a stash of cash to offer UNLV or maybe USU to stay in the MWC.

Interesting angle.

I think AFA decision might dictate some of that.

In order of dominoes and importance of how this plays out.

1- Memphis
2-AFA

AFA leaving would weaken MWC ability to play hard ball some.

Reactions: TimothyC3
Honestly they should have just agreed to terms with 8 or 9 MW teams (however many a vote takes) and then have them dissolve the conference. Even if you only wanted 5-6, you take the extra 2-3 and it costs you literally nothing if you’re WSU and OSU. Sure you’re not gonna make as much on the next TV deal, but how much less? Even if you said it was gonna be $5 million per year less each and this whole rebuilding the PAC thing is gonna cost you $100 million… that’s 10 years it would take before it isn’t worth it.
It wouldn't work that way. The withdrawal fee (poaching fee) goes up to 11 teams. Then it has to be paid within 30 days. The MWC with one team will be give 2 years to rebuild to remain a conference just like the PAC. If it can't rebuild then it dissolves.

They also don't want 8-9 MWC teams. They want a leaner conference that sets them up to try and push back into the P5 status. Dragging along dead weight isn't a good buisness model for them more mouths to feed from tv deal that starts to get watered down

It wouldn't work that way. The withdrawal fee (poaching fee) goes up to 11 teams. Then it has to be paid within 30 days. The MWC with one team will be give 2 years to rebuild to remain a conference just like the PAC. If it can't rebuild then it dissolves.

Which goes to why AFA decision is extremely important.

The moment the MWC goes below 7 (And I'm still not sure how Hawaii as football only impacts conference recognition) they are forced to look at trying to poach teams.

$115 million is a lot of money. If the Air Force Academy and UNLV are the pieces that keep the MWC together offer them a retention bonus of $10 mill each. Then divide the remaining $95 mill as equal shares among the members. Would it be wise to leave the MWC for another G5 conference and leave $20 mill on the table? I don’t think so.

They also don't want 8-9 MWC teams. They want a leaner conference that sets them up to try and push back into the P5 status. Dragging along dead weight isn't a good buisness model for them more mouths to feed from tv deal that starts to get watered down

I'm wondering from an analytic stand point how remaining MWC schools are viewed as potential revenue for conference/media deals?

Like highest to lowest and is Hawaii even considered at all..(I don't think so).

$115 million is a lot of money. If the Air Force Academy and UNLV are the pieces that keep the MWC together offer them a retention bonus of $10 mill each. Then divide the remaining $95 mill as equal shares among the members. Would it be wise to leave the MWC for another G5 conference and leave $20 mill on the table? I don’t think so.

It would depend on media deal I think.

If current deal gets cut in half let's say, (I can't see it remaining the same) and PAC media deal doubles current MWC media package you'd make that up pretty quick no?

Also, let’s no forget the MWC exit fees of $18 mill that UNLV and Air Force will owe if they leave. Further, will that increase the poaching penalty on the PAC? I think so.

Last edited:
If UNLV in the PAC is 10-12 mill per year while the new MW deal is 3 mil maybe and that is with an elevated take.
Sure all of that extra buyout money would be nice, but MW will have to rebuild. The fee for elevated and FCS team is 5 mil per school now.
CUSA standardized exit fee is 3 mil, at least it was 2 years ago. But Marshall only paid 1.75.
Pac only paid got paid 65 mil total amongst all the teams but the official fee was supposed to be 100 mil I believe.
So it is safe to say the 18 mil per exiting MW sill likely be reduced to maybe 60ish percent, at least of historical precedent has anything to do with this. The poaching fee seems to be ironclad though.

It would depend on media deal I think.

If current deal gets cut in half let's say, (I can't see it remaining the same) and PAC media deal doubles current MWC media package you'd make that up pretty quick no?
I am not as confident in the PAC media deal. Because superficially it appears west coast conference media deals are just not as lucrative as conferences in the eastern and central time zones for whatever reason. Also, as Dodd from CBS noted in his discussions with media execs they felt the new PAC’s media deal wouldn’t be much more than the current MWC.

I am not as confident in the PAC media deal. Because superficially it appears west coast conference media deals are just not as lucrative as conferences in the eastern and central time zones for whatever reason. Also, as Dodd from CBS noted in his discussions with media execs they felt the new PAC’s media deal wouldn’t be much more than the current MWC.

They aren't typically no.

But would a PAC of just these 8

OSU
WSU
BOISE
SDSU
FRESNO
CSU
UNLV
USU (latest rumor)

Bring in more money than current MWC deal of 3 million?

I believe it would.

10 million?

For me it's not so much about how much the PAC deal would be worth but how little a new MWC deal might be based on the schools we lost.

If that makes any sense.

Probably right, and it’s kind of a moot point now anyway.

I have read 3 different articles now all stating they think the new PAC deal will more than likely be in the 4-6 million range. If that is more accurate than 10-15 million why would any team from AAC go to the PAC?

25 mil is still better than the 17 plus 12+ mill for UNLV right now.
But that would be at a factor of 4 if you get all 4 schools. Not sure that USF would be interested if they don't get the other 3 due to travel. Memphis & Tulane in a similar situation if USF doesn't go. For it to make sense regionally, they really need a min of 4 schools out that way. If you can't get 4, do you get any of them?

But that would be at a factor of 4 if you get all 4 schools. Not sure that USF would be interested if they don't get the other 3 due to travel. Memphis & Tulane in a similar situation if USF doesn't go. For it to make sense regionally, they really need a min of 4 schools out that way. If you can't get 4, do you get any of them?

I think Memphis could pull it off alone.

Tulane maybe.

USF nope.

Utsa could probably since travel wouldn't be all that insane. (Minus OSU/WSU)

Buyouts would be issue for UTSA I believe.

Off topic. I did enjoy reading the Navy defeated Memphis! Hopefully UNLV will move into the top 25 in the AP

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT