ADVERTISEMENT

This is what I would have expected

unlv91

UNLV Hall of Fame
Apr 18, 2010
From UNLV in the National Championship Game in ‘91’ if they would have gotten past Duke. (Routing Kansas)

Man ya had to bring up the ‘91 Final Four. Thanks for bringing me back to the most painful memory of my life outside of family losses. Long live 1990!!! 😁😁

Man ya had to bring up the ‘91 Final Four. Thanks for bringing me back to the most painful memory of my life outside of family losses. Long live 1990!!! 😁😁
They were going to unveil the vaunted Vader black uniforms for the first time in the final. Would have been legendary.

I agree. I was young but remember vividly how bad that sucked when they lost. Wow. That 5th foul call on Greg....Duke was given all the breaks.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Does anyone want to watch this and single out that fifth foul? I can't watch it since it will cause my BP to spike and I'll hate K that much more.

I watched the replay again. In the end, the refs called two questionable calls continuation fouls at the end to put Duke up.

Bobby Hurley is a dirty player. He undercutted Anderson Hunt and then absolutely manhandled Hunt when he went up in the air and hacked him with both arms.

Even Grant Hill threw in a cheap shoulder shot on Greg Anthony and laid him out.

We can look at replay the rest of our lives how the refs sucked. It won’t change history..

The replay just makes you bitter..

Reactions: bcvegaspt
They were going to unveil the vaunted Vader black uniforms for the first time in the final. Would have been legendary.

I agree. I was young but remember vividly how bad that sucked when they lost. Wow. That 5th foul call on Greg....Duke was given all the breaks.

Wow I didn't know that about the uniforms. I had a poster of Evric Gray, Dexter Boney, and JR Rider rocking the black unis from the following year. That was the first time I remember them existing, though I don't remember them actually being worn in a game. Did they?

Wow I didn't know that about the uniforms. I had a poster of Evric Gray, Dexter Boney, and JR Rider rocking the black unis from the following year. That was the first time I remember them existing, though I don't remember them actually being worn in a game. Did they?
No, the championship is when they were to be revealed.

Not a huge deal to me; but I was against them for the championship. Or any other time, really. Not our school colors, I tend to be a traditionalist, be who you are type … but people like the black unis so, no big difference. And it’s not like tradition is that important anymore anyway …

It would have been sick!! Imagine, roll out the black unis, win 2nd championship undefeated. Tark would have had a line form outside the T&M of recruits wanting to play for UNLV. No matter I guess, Wynn/Maxson would have burned it down anyway.

It would have been sick!! Imagine, roll out the black unis, win 2nd championship undefeated. Tark would have had a line form outside the T&M of recruits wanting to play for UNLV. No matter I guess, Wynn/Maxson would have burned it down anyway.
UNLV would have dominated basketball in the 1990s. Tark would have retired here in the 2000s with a dynasty under his belt. Oh well...maybe in an alternate universe it happened.

I can’t wait to see Tark in heaven and Maxon and coach k in hell when I die!

UNLV would have dominated basketball in the 1990s. Tark would have retired here in the 2000s with a dynasty under his belt. Oh well...maybe in an alternate universe it happened.

Unfortunately this would have never happened. The NCAA had already set up shop on Maryland Parkway. Tark ended up in a "keep your enemies close and your friends closer" situation where his "friends" (UNLV administration) got to him before the enemy (NCAA) did.

Unfortunately this would have never happened. The NCAA had already set up shop on Maryland Parkway. Tark ended up in a "keep your enemies close and your friends closer" situation where his "friends" (UNLV administration) got to him before the enemy (NCAA) did.
In an ideal scenario where the UNLV administration supported him or kept neutral...Tark would have beaten the NCAA easily.

It is all about the big boys who are exempt from any and all NCAA rules. A friend of mine played at Notre Dame in the 80's and he was paid full time to turn on and off sprinklers at one of the athletic fields that were automatic as an end run around the rules. He knew it was a joke, and he knew the NCAA would never touch Notre Dame but would crush SMU or UNLV like bugs for doing far less!

I watched the replay again. In the end, the refs called two questionable calls continuation fouls at the end to put Duke up.

Bobby Hurley is a dirty player. He undercutted Anderson Hunt and then absolutely manhandled Hunt when he went up in the air and hacked him with both arms.

Even Grant Hill threw in a cheap shoulder shot on Greg Anthony and laid him out.

We can look at replay the rest of our lives how the refs sucked. It won’t change history..

The replay just makes you bitter..
It's quite evident that St Coach K told his players that if UNLV had any open fast break opportunities, Duke players were to intentionally foul them. Hunt got fouled on two outrageously dirty plays.

Think about how the game ended up. Its incredible. There were four bogus fouls on Greg Anthony. The officials gave Duke a 12 to 15 point swing. Ackles, Gray, and Spencer all had bad games. Playing with a severe migraine, Augmon was completely useless on offense. Johnson admitted years later his head wasn't in the game. Duke was the same team that repeated a year later with a key reserve who transferred out and became an all SEC player.

And UNLV lost by 2 points with a chance to win at the end. If Anthony had not fouled out, they still win even with Ted Washington doing everything humanly possible to help the Blue Devils.

Assuming Augmon's migraine issue was resolved by Monday - theres no question UnLV would have curb stomped Kansas.

Unlv would have been laser focused bent on revenge from the year before.

It would've taken a monumental effort to foul out the entire starting lineup for Kansas to keep it close.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT