ADVERTISEMENT

They suck!

Rebel1986

Rebel Legend
Feb 25, 2011
Las Vegas
That is all I can say about the team over the last couple of days. Getting blown out by middle level teams is really sad.

There isn't so much a lack of interest as a level of frustration by fans who are tired of coming on a message board with hope after a game like byu (even if byu is at best an average team), and then they turn around and collapse during the next few games to teams that byu would beat. With the exception of a few games this season, Menzies coaching has been in the C-F level at best. Even in games where the overall play is decent they either start out slow and fight their way back, or they have long stretches during the game where they collapse and let the other team back into the game. I am still waiting for Menzies to show a reason why he should continue as head coach for UNLV?

There isn't so much a lack of interest as a level of frustration by fans who are tired of coming on a message board with hope after a game like byu (even if byu is at best an average team), and then they turn around and collapse during the next few games to teams that byu would beat. With the exception of a few games this season, Menzies coaching has been in the C-F level at best. Even in games where the overall play is decent they either start out slow and fight their way back, or they have long stretches during the game where they collapse and let the other team back into the game. I am still waiting for Menzies to show a reason why he should continue as head coach for UNLV?

I see zero reasons why he should continue coaching after this season. It's time to find a new coach.

Find someone that knows how to build a team around an identity and can coach a group of players up into a coherent team.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
The days of just recruiting athletes is over. With the 3 point line you need a few shooters.

Tark did not by any means have a bunch of good shooters. But he made sure he had a few to balance out the team. And when he had a shooter that was also a good athlete (like Anderson Hunt), then that really helped the team to be awesome.

These guys on wide open 3’s are barely hitting rim. They could not win a game of horse vs good junior high players.

Bad recruiting makes a team look bad and their is not much hope for this bunch. Hamilton seems only one who has a clue from the outside so they have to play him a lot to at least give team a bit of an outside threat. Otherwise teams that zone unlv will really make them look terrible.

I never thought in year 3 of Marvin they could look worse than Dave Rice teams, but they have done it.

Reactions: 1Tripoda
Donald-Trump-Sad-Meme.jpg

rats-jumping-ship-620x310.jpg

Go Rebels!

I see zero reasons why he should continue coaching after this season. It's time to find a new coach.
I was just watching Nebraska @ Maryland. The Terps eked out a 2-point win, so things will change, but coming into the game, the Cornhuskers were 11-2 and ranked #24.

I recalled when Tim Miles left success at Colorado St in 2012. He has spent 6 seasons toiling in obscurity in the Big 10 (with one notable exception in the 2013-14 season when a surprise 19-14 record earned a first-round exit from the NCAA tournament). His conference finishes have been 10th,12th, 11th & 12th.

I imagine the fans there bemoaned his hire. Success in a lesser conference (the MW) didn’t translate to success in the tougher Big 10. Why didn’t they get a “name” coach instead?

But the school stuck with Miles and last year he turned it around enough to get an NIT invite, and now he’s got them ranked for the first time in decades.

The point being, these are the same arguments being made about Coach Menzies. Just because he could win consistently at NMSU doesn’t translate to MW wins. And here we are in his 3rd season, and we haven’t produced winners yet.

Unless you’re Calipari and you want to create all “one-and-done” teams every year, building a winning program takes years of creating a base to work from. Terminating Menzies now will doom UNLV to a never-ending cycle of disappointments.

Patience is a difficult concept for we fans to grasp, but it’s the only way to re-create a winning program. Do not fire Menzies. Given SUFFICIENT time, he will make us a perennial tournament team.
63718104-sketch-of-career-ladder-with-climbing-little-people-doodle-cute-miniature-of-stairs-with-leader-on-t.jpg

Go Rebels!

Reactions: WarthogRebel
Wow. If MM had a shread of success at unlv in his early days you would have point. But his teams have not done anything even though year 1 was not his fault.

Tim Miles did have some early success, MM has not. That is a big difference.

I was just watching Nebraska @ Maryland. The Terps eked out a 2-point win, so things will change, but coming into the game, the Cornhuskers were 11-2 and ranked #24.

I recalled when Tim Miles left success at Colorado St in 2012. He has spent 6 seasons toiling in obscurity in the Big 10 (with one notable exception in the 2013-14 season when a surprise 19-14 record earned a first-round exit from the NCAA tournament). His conference finishes have been 10th,12th, 11th & 12th.

I imagine the fans there bemoaned his hire. Success in a lesser conference (the MW) didn’t translate to success in the tougher Big 10. Why didn’t they get a “name” coach instead?

But the school stuck with Miles and last year he turned it around enough to get an NIT invite, and now he’s got them ranked for the first time in decades.

The point being, these are the same arguments being made about Coach Menzies. Just because he could win consistently at NMSU doesn’t translate to MW wins. And here we are in his 3rd season, and we haven’t produced winners yet.

Unless you’re Calipari and you want to create all “one-and-done” teams every year, building a winning program takes years of creating a base to work from. Terminating Menzies now will doom UNLV to a never-ending cycle of disappointments.

Patience is a difficult concept for we fans to grasp, but it’s the only way to re-create a winning program. Do not fire Menzies. Given SUFFICIENT time, he will make us a perennial tournament team.
63718104-sketch-of-career-ladder-with-climbing-little-people-doodle-cute-miniature-of-stairs-with-leader-on-t.jpg

Go Rebels!
You must have 5 decades of life left. God Bless you.

ou must have 5 decades of life left. God Bless you.
Lol! Not hardly, but I’m hoping for maybe five years…
And it's not all about me. Lucky for me, when I was in my prime, so were the Rebels. I'd like to think that they will eventually be a force for my offspring's (children's...grandchildren's) enjoyment.
grumpy-old-man-vector-id164510786

Go Rebels!

Holy $#!+ are you really going to compare Nebraska–Lincoln basketball to UNLV??? Is that where the UNLV program is now? Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think they ever even won a single NCAA game in their history. Miles got them into the tournament in his second season. That’s literally the farthest they’ve ever made it! He deserved an extension for the job he did.
Plus basketball means nothing in Nebraska. It’s just something to do before spring football practices start. They can have a decade of patience with basketball but if a football coach put together 2.5 seasons equivalent to what our basketball team has he would have been fired a year ago.

Reactions: RebelScrub
Lol! Not hardly, but I’m hoping for maybe five years…
And it's not all about me. Lucky for me, when I was in my prime, so were the Rebels. I'd like to think that they will eventually be a force for my offspring's (children's...grandchildren's) enjoyment.
grumpy-old-man-vector-id164510786

Go Rebels!
Well best of luck to you. And for being such a long time fan, I hope we get a replacement that can make it fun for you and the rest of us. Because this stuff isn't working or improving, at all.

Reactions: Don-F
Boys....the issue is there really is no progress under MM that I can detect. Correct me if I am wrong. CSU is a toilet team and we were lucky to win at home in the last second by 2. Honestly, we continue to suck. The thought of UNR at 14 - 0 and #6 and UNLV irrelevant is very painful.

I think I am beginning to see the potential in a year or 2, especially with the Africans. In 2 years Mbacke Diong, Beck, and Hardy will be seniors with Ntambwe, Tchatchoua, Woodbury, and Hamilton as juniors. I am still unsure how Hamilton and Woodbury are going to pan out but I can tell that Ntambwe, Tchatchoua, Hardy, and Diong will most likely keep improving and be very good players by then. Ntambwe and Tchatchoua have professional level athleticism but are still learning and are only freshmen. Both are getting better as the season rolls on. Hardy can beat most guys off the dribble and just needs to be under control a little more often when doing so but is also learning. Let's just be a little more patient with this group.

Reactions: TarkisGod
I think I am beginning to see the potential in a year or 2, especially with the Africans. In 2 years Mbacke Diong, Beck, and Hardy will be seniors with Ntambwe, Tchatchoua, Woodbury, and Hamilton as juniors. I am still unsure how Hamilton and Woodbury are going to pan out but I can tell that Ntambwe, Tchatchoua, Hardy, and Diong will most likely keep improving and be very good players by then. Ntambwe and Tchatchoua have professional level athleticism but are still learning and are only freshmen. Both are getting better as the season rolls on. Hardy can beat most guys off the dribble and just needs to be under control a little more often when doing so but is also learning. Let's just be a little more patient with this group.

Yes Sir [cheers]

Reactions: Rebel Chi-girl
No way I'm waiting two years to watch this crap! Yes we have a few talented players, but with this direction it's not going to get much better. We Are One transfer away(leaving ) and the lost of Clyburn and should have been Juice and I think he still might be ! This roster is even getting worse in this current roster next year. UNLESS Menzies has an revelation and can turn this whole team around next year will be worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: RebelScrub
No way I'm waiting two years to watch this crap! Yes we have a few talented players, but with this direction it's not going to get much better. We Are One transfer away(leaving ) and the lost of Clyburn and should have been Juice and I think he still might be ! This roster is even getting worse in this current roster next year. UNLESS Menzies has an revelation and can turn this whole team around next year will be worse.
Dembele will return with Juice, so there’s that. And Trey will have a year under his belt, he can bolster the two/three spot.

Well, sorry to say I seem to be right. Wyoming throwing zone at unlv and unlv shooting horrible for first half.

Of the starters, Ntambwe, has 17 at half and rest of starters 1-16 at halftime. Yep, our team sucks

Game over. Unlv is 2 and 0. Not pretty but better than unr’s against unm

Game over. Unlv is 2 and 0. Not pretty but better than unr’s against unm

Well we get to play @UNM on Tuesday so we’ll have a better idea of where we are in the MW soon enough. 2 home wins against the bottom of the conference doesn’t say much but I think the announcers said UNLV hasn’t been 2-0 in conference play since 2006. I really can’t believe that stat.

Clap! Clap! Clap! What a terrific post, khokhol8. It’s refreshing to hear someone who doesn’t think that year 3 (actually 2) of the Marvin Menzies era is enough to conclude that changing coaches again, is the answer to turning the Rebels into a Sweet-Sixteen team.

I completely agree that we’ve got some very fine young talent coming up through the system. And they don’t appear to be hotshots who will take ill-advised runs at the NBA Draft. Many Rebel-Net contributors said, upon Coach Menzies’ arrival, that given the moribund state of UNLV hoops in 2016 he should be allowed 5 years to turn things around. But Rebel fans, being who they are, naturally their patience wore out quickly.

Do you guys really think an aging Rick Pitino, assuming he would even take the job, is going to swoop in here and carry us to the promised land? I think, canning our coach so soon, will make it harder to find coaches to take the gig. It’s not like they’re getting showered with $$$. And who knows how many Menzies recruits will decide to go elsewhere. Let’s start with a brand-new team. That’s worked out beautifully for us so far. CONTINUITY!!!

tenor.gif

Go Rebels!

I am really enjoying watching this team. Sure I wish they were better shooters but you never get everything. They play hard and rebound well and there seems to be a total lack of ego out there like Tarkisgod stated. There were more butts in the seats tonight and us fans were having a good time. Too bad so many just look for negatives when there is a lot of good going on. Hardy with 17 assists in the last 2 games against 2 turn overs. Ntwambe is turning into a very special player. He absolutely caught fire tonight. Menzies seems to be embracing the small ball and making it work out there without giving up the rebounding edge we enjoy.

Hopefully the Lobos shot their wad tonight and we can roll in there and take advantage of an overconfident team. I bet the chat rooms are going absolutely crazy tonight for both teams.

Also it is nice to see Beck getting a little run again, I think he adds a little bit of offense that we need and I think I forgot to mention that We Are In First Place!

Last edited:
Reactions: EastSideRebel
I am really enjoying watching this team. Sure I wish they were better shooters but you never get everything. They play hard and rebound well and there seems to be a total lack of ego out there like Tarkisgod stated. There were more butts in the seats tonight and us fans were having a good time. Too bad so many just look for negatives when there is a lot of good going on. Hardy with 17 assists in the last 2 games against 2 turn overs. Ntwambe is turning into a very special player. He absolutely caught fire tonight. Menzies seems to be embracing the small ball and making it work out there without giving up the rebounding edge we enjoy.

Hopefully the Lobos shot their wad tonight and we can roll in there and take advantage of an overconfident team. I bet the chat rooms are going absolutely crazy tonight for both teams.

Also it is nice to see Beck getting a little run again, I think he adds a little bit of offense that we need and I think I forgot to mention that We Are In First Place!
Agree !

So................................. UNR got curb stomped. Bet they are not #6 come Monday LMBFAO :chairshot::flush::cool2::uzi::boxing:[banana]
A loss like that really should drop a team out of the Top 25. We could empathize (be we won’t) as we’ve felt the gut punch of going into conference thinking we had a good team and then quickly realizing we didn’t. Hopefully this is an omen rather than a one off incident.

A loss like that really should drop a team out of the Top 25. We could empathize (be we won’t) as we’ve felt the gut punch of going into conference thinking we had a good team and then quickly realizing we didn’t. Hopefully this is an omen rather than a one off incident.
It’s not fair but I suspect they’ll plummet. Too new to the rankings, too east coast biased, people don’t get to see them play much, the conference is horrible. Very tough to get ranked in the first place, tough to climb, easy to drop.

But they won’t drop from T25.

If the conference was as it was 7/8/9 years ago, I’d be looking for what you are talking about, “are they real?” But this conference will probably consist of simple wins and a couple of slip up losses only for UNR. I don’t think they drop more than 3 in conference. And that might be enough damage to boot them to the 20’s of T25 and a 5 seed. If they want top 4 seed, I don’t think they could lose more than one more. Their SOS is going to nosedive in conference. Even ours is. We are winning but dropping.

I see a 10 spot drop. Hopefully we don’t see that New Mexico team.

So................................. UNR got curb stomped. Bet they are not #6 come Monday LMBFAO :chairshot::flush::cool2::uzi::boxing:[banana]

Reno fell to #10 in AP, #11 in Coaches. Getting obliterated by a Lobo team that has looked horrendous so far is not good, unless UNM is gonna do what they did last year, look like hot garbage in OOC, but then look damn good in MW play. Reno on the other hand doesn't look like the 10th best team in the nation to me, and I thought that before the blowout loss to UNM.

Unfortunately I don't see us snapping our 3 game losing streak to them tomorrow night.

Reno fell to #10 in AP, #11 in Coaches. Getting obliterated by a Lobo team that has looked horrendous so far is not good, unless UNM is gonna do what they did last year, look like hot garbage in OOC, but then look damn good in MW play. Reno on the other hand doesn't look like the 10th best team in the nation to me, and I thought that before the blowout loss to UNM.

Unfortunately I don't see us snapping our 3 game losing streak to them tomorrow night.

Glad I was wrong.

Go Rebels!

It's tough for us fans because we are sitting through the roughest of times right now and the past few seasons.

Menzies decided basically last year that he will stick to a relatively slow build approach. Deferring to mostly 4 year players instead of one and dones and transfers. He has picked some really good players in that mold though none of them were really splashy signees, at least not at the time.

This approach created this season, which was going to be a transition year. We gave up all of our scoring and replaced departures with true freshman, many of them R\aw and unexperienced. 11 underclassmen on the team many of which get heavy minutes. It was going to be rough.

We can debate what is the "right" or "wrong" way. I don't think there is such a thing. There are plusses and minuses to any way of building. The tough part is that UNLV does not have a fan base that will get behind a slow build, that is extremely obvious.

This is my thing, and probably most will disagree, that I think that next year we will have at least a bubble team level squad. That the payoff to something actually promising is just a season away.

We will have a Jr. Hardy in the starting lineup, likely beginning at the PG position until one of the Freshman get their feet wet. Have a likely returning FOY in Ntambwe who may even be a POY candidate. A returning Juice who also may have first team MWC aspirations. A returning Diong who is a first team all Defense type of player. Maybe DPOY candidate. Mix in some of the experience we will have on the bench then that is a solid squad.

Sure there won't be a ton a great shooters, but will an experienced team and good ball movement you can have a decent shooting team like we saw against BYU and UNM. SDSU has had some pretty good success with similarly built teams.

People say 5 years and 20 years before we are good. I think it will be one. And firing Menzies this season we not go over well with the players. 3 years given the situation he inherited will seem unfair, because frankly it is.

I get the attendance problem. It is the biggest reason to fire Menzies. Problem outside of Pitino, there is no one else that we will be able to get that will retain players and/or make a big enough splahs to immediately sell tickets.

So we can blow up a promising team to bring in a new coach that likely won't have the name or cache to interest fans just start the rebuild all over again. That looks like a net loss to me.

And here's the thing. What if next year doesn't work out for Menzies and we fall flat? Firing him then is much more reasonable. I think player retention will be much higher given the situation and the fact we will have more upper classmen on the roster which are less likely to leave. Less of a drop off for the next coach.

Just when I thought they might have turned the corner, and I started to buy back in, they completely quit playing any defense and just went through the motions against Air Force. UNLV blown out again by a bad team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT