ADVERTISEMENT

The portal is portaling

Can current players enter the portal right now?

If they did would they be eligible to play still? Would we want them too?

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I mean how many of us were shocked Robbins left, but we aren't any worse off at this point... Portal comes and Portal goes, it's hoping you get better rather than pillaged

Ryan Wolfe lined up opposite of Ricky White?

RW package, GO!
I know we’ve had some great receivers. But two of my favorite were Ryan W and R Gatewood. Ryan always looked “slow” but he really wasn’t.

Both guys ran really good routes, they knew when they had to cut them short and they were just great possession receivers. Neither was going to get 10 feet up and make a spectacular one handed catch … but if the ball was close, they were always going to catch them and they had a knack for that first down marker. It’s what I like about Ballungay as well.

Can somebody answer this for me. Being totally serious.

Let's say hypothetically a Qb enters the portal. Let's say Joe Smith from Rutgers. You hear Ohio State offered him a million dollar NIL deal.

Is he getting handed a million bucks on the spot? Is it pro-rated? Is it potential money he could make by doing commercials and appearances? Future jersey sales?

Can somebody answer this for me. Being totally serious.

Let's say hypothetically a Qb enters the portal. Let's say Joe Smith from Rutgers. You hear Ohio State offered him a million dollar NIL deal.

Is he getting handed a million bucks on the spot? Is it pro-rated? Is it potential money he could make by doing commercials and appearances? Future jersey sales?
Everything except a million bucks on the spot. But he will get money upfront.

It really is crazy how big this NIL money is. Some of these college players are making more without even playing a game than a lot of NFL players are making. Insane

Yep Bo Nix returned to Oregon in part because he’s making more than had he gone to the NFL as a mid to late round draft pick. He stayed, got paid, developed and may be a first round pick.

Yep Bo Nix returned to Oregon in part because he’s making more than had he gone to the NFL as a mid to late round draft pick. He stayed, got paid, developed and may be a first round pick.
In cases that his, it worked out great. I was thinking of guys like Arch Manning. I don't know the value, but I've heard it somewhere in the $3-4 million this year, and he has thrown for a grand total of....30 yards this year on 2/5 in passing attempts. I mean, it's great for him, and I don't blame the kids for taking the money. It's just crazy that the 3rd string QB at Texas is making that much money to watch the team play.

I'm curious how this works. Do these players still play in their bowl game? It is not like the dudes that are trying to save themselves for the draft. But it is also weird with knowing they are leaving you early.

portal isn’t open yet, but once they’re officially in the portal they can’t participate.
Could that screw us for our bowl game? I'm sure there is a second wave of portal guys that start after bowl season as well.

Jeanty will announce shortly after the game tomorrow that he is on his way out too. He has been offered a lot.

Here's what sucks about the portal and in a larger scale guys entering draft as Juniors.

I 100% get that dudes entering the draft do not want to get hurt with potentially millions at stake.

But let's say it's a RB or WR or QB. What about dudes that busted their ass blocking for you for two or three years. That helped you rack up those big numbers. Yeah the bowl game may be meaningless to you but probably not to the guys that aren't going to the NFL.

Same with the portal. Some of these dudes alongside you aren't getting massive NIL deals. Those bowl games mean something to them..

Again I get it but, it makes those 'These are my brothers' 'We go to battle together' tweets ring a little hollow..

Here's what sucks about the portal and in a larger scale guys entering draft as Juniors.

I 100% get that dudes entering the draft do not want to get hurt with potentially millions at stake.

But let's say it's a RB or WR or QB. What about dudes that busted their ass blocking for you for two or three years. That helped you rack up those big numbers. Yeah the bowl game may be meaningless to you but probably not to the guys that aren't going to the NFL.

Same with the portal. Some of these dudes alongside you aren't getting massive NIL deals. Those bowl games mean something to them..

Again I get it but, it makes those 'These are my brothers' 'We go to battle together' tweets ring a little hollow..
iu

I agree with you 100%.

The way I think about it is this; when you move into your freshmen dorm, you arent really true friends with everyone. You are nice and friends with them because you are placed in the same hall and are around each other by default of living in the same place. Thats how it is with college sports. A group of guys chose to come to xyz school and play with the guys that also chose to go there.

Now, its like the end of freshmen year and you move out. Your time is up. No matter what you went through together the past year, it doenst mean that those experiences will translate to the next year nor does it guarantee that you will be friends with your dorm-mates after yall move out.

I agree with you 100%.

The way I think about it is this; when you move into your freshmen dorm, you arent really true friends with everyone. You are nice and friends with them because you are placed in the same hall and are around each other by default of living in the same place. Thats how it is with college sports. A group of guys chose to come to xyz school and play with the guys that also chose to go there.

Now, its like the end of freshmen year and you move out. Your time is up. No matter what you went through together the past year, it doenst mean that those experiences will translate to the next year nor does it guarantee that you will be friends with your dorm-mates after yall move out.

Fair assessment..

They should withhold all offficial transfer portal entries until after the bowl games.
This. Or just allow kids to play in bowls even if they enter the portal. It’s not like their teammates don’t get what’s going on. Hell a third of them on average are probably in the portal or thinking about jumping in.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT