ADVERTISEMENT

Tate Martell

It seems pretty quiet on this front in the last 10+ days. Any news on whether Martell is a legit candidate at QB based on practices? Most of what I've read about the position over the last week and a half focuses on the other guys without a mention of Martell. Just curious.

It seems pretty quiet on this front in the last 10+ days. Any news on whether Martell is a legit candidate at QB based on practices? Most of what I've read about the position over the last week and a half focuses on the other guys without a mention of Martell. Just curious.

Very quiet.

Arroyo seemed to get annoyed a week ago when the 1st 4 questions asked were about Martell..

Reactions: NSU67
I think it is unrealistic to think Martell will be taking game snaps at QB within the first few weeks, just given his late start.

But it will be worth tracking as the season goes on as he learns the play book, especially if the other 2 guys aren't exactly lighting it up.

Curious if they get him on the field in other capacities, or even as a decoy. They do officially list him as a QB, not just an "athlete". So it seems like that will be his primary position.

Reactions: 220reb
I have no problem taking a shot on Tate. Especially as a walk on. He's small and doesn't have a ++arm, but he's got nice touch on his deep ball and reads the mesh on the read option decently well, which is a big part of Arroyo's scheme.

He's had a questionable locker room presence at times, but as long as he is on the same page with the staff it feels like a very low risk high potential reward move.
We don't need a guy with a ++arm. We need a guy who can get the ball to receivers. How many years has it been that our QB's can't get it to an OPEN man? If you watched Gorman games while he was there, he had enough arm to get it 50 yards down the field. I'm ok with a quarterback who can pick a D apart with 10-20 yarders

Reactions: 220reb
I’m afraid that we’re looking at another season where there is no definite #1 QB. According to media reports, it sounds like all of the QB’s have been getting similar type reps in practice. The approach might be to give similar type of time in the games as well. I could see all of our guys (Brumfield, Rogers, Friel, and Martell) getting playing time throughout the year.

I understand that this season looks to be another “rebuilding” year, but it would be nice to see us have, and stick with, a #1 guy throughout the season. Going with “qb by committee” gives the feeling of a season long tryout. Hope I’m wrong.

I’m afraid that we’re looking at another season where there is no definite #1 QB. According to media reports, it sounds like all of the QB’s have been getting similar type reps in practice. The approach might be to give similar type of time in the games as well. I could see all of our guys (Brumfield, Rogers, Friel, and Martell) getting playing time throughout the year.

I understand that this season looks to be another “rebuilding” year, but it would be nice to see us have, and stick with, a #1 guy throughout the season. Going with “qb by committee” gives the feeling of a season long tryout. Hope I’m wrong.
"Rebuilding year", no way on earth will it be considered a building year nothing remotely close to last year. If coach can't figure out who his starting qb should be after 6 games last year and spring practice this year he's in over his head.
I wouldn't rule out guys being pulled for being ineffective and looking for a spark off the bench, but we can't have last year's tryouts during live games you'll lose the team.

"Rebuilding year", no way on earth will it be considered a building year nothing remotely close to last year. If coach can't figure out who his starting qb should be after 6 games last year and spring practice this year he's in over his head.
I wouldn't rule out guys being pulled for being ineffective and looking for a spark off the bench, but we can't have last year's tryouts during live games you'll lose the team.
Not having a guy stick-out when you have a true Freshman pushing them for starting reps is pretty indicative we don't have a QB on the roster that can play at a D1 level yet.

Martell can't even prove who he's got with his throwing hand messed up. Definitely going to be another shitshow at QB this season.

I dont see a scenario in which 2021 is NOT rebuilding...
Last year was the true rebuild. This year should show significant improvements. CMA took over a bad program that won 4 or 5 games every year for 4 straight seasons. I don’t expect UNLV to be good this year but we should be improving back to that level of suck. If this is 1 or 2 win season with multiple blowouts by MWC conference teams I’ll have my doubts that we’re on the right track.

It is tough to infer much from last year. Arroyo took over a team that had an atrocious defense that lost a big chunk of their best players to boot. Sanchez grossly neglected the defense with recruiting.

On top of that he had no spring and heavier restrictions than most states with summer/pre season practices.

On top of that he has a signficantly different offense being run by QB's that could not separate. Again with an offense that will probably take some time for fully roll out.

I expect improvement, and Arroyo has recruited well. But it usually takes a couple of years for football players to develop both mentally and physically to be good college players.

I think having a proper camp, players somewhat used to the system, and recruits being a year older will make us better. Deep down I think we go over the 1.5 wins, but honestly have no idea where they will come from.

But absolutely we are in a rebuilding year. When the defense is starting from scratch and the offense changes drastically with uncertainty at QB it will take more than one shortened, weird ass year to fully build.

I know "rebuild" is the term that everyone commonly uses, but it infers having been previously built. Just what are we "rebuilding" to? The Caleb Herring team? The Jason Thomas team? The Randall Cunningham team? Whatever... it's time for a new template, and who knows where that takes us and how long will it take us to get there? Regardless, time to get in, buckle up, and hang on because we're going 20 through this school zone.

I know "rebuild" is the term that everyone commonly uses, but it infers having been previously built. Just what are we "rebuilding" to? The Caleb Herring team? The Jason Thomas team? The Randall Cunningham team? Whatever... it's time for a new template, and who knows where that takes us and how long will it take us to get there? Regardless, time to get in, buckle up, and hang on because we're going 20 through this school zone.

This ☝️

Its building.

There was nothing there to rebuild.

Sanchez 3,4,5 wins seemed on a nice trajectory.

Then 4 and 4. It was stagnating if not declining.

I throw last year out.

If Arroyo gets to 3-4 wins and there are fewer blowout losses its progress.

Recruiting is better. But it takes 2-3 years typically for that to manifest itself on the field.

Last year was the true rebuild. This year should show significant improvements. CMA took over a bad program that won 4 or 5 games every year for 4 straight seasons. I don’t expect UNLV to be good this year but we should be improving back to that level of suck. If this is 1 or 2 win season with multiple blowouts by MWC conference teams I’ll have my doubts that we’re on the right track.
I just dont see what you see. I think this year the max reasonable number of wins is 4, and that's only because they seem to randomly find ways to win games on accident.

I'm not particularly confident in any position on defense. No obvious QB. Deep enough at WR but really other than Kyle Williams (?) There was almost no production. OL is mostly rebuilt isn't it? And with Chuck and Chad at RB, that spot should be okay, but if the OL struggles...

Also there's 3 new position coaches aren't there?

I think the team will look less lost than they did in 2020, but I dont see where they are competitive weekly vs MWC teams. I would love to, believe me.

Spring and camp will definitely help, and I know the roster should be better on paper. This will feel like a normal year 1 instead of year -6

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Not sure what phase we are in but rebuilding isn't it. Rebuilding means you were good , then declined and are now working to get back to good . We haven't been good in such a long time more than half of the valley doesn't remember it because they weren't born.

Not sure what phase we are in but rebuilding isn't it. Rebuilding means you were good , then declined and are now working to get back to good . We haven't been good in such a long time more than half of the valley doesn't remember it because they weren't born.

When you can make the argument that Sanford's 5-7 team that missed bowl eligibility by losing to SDSU to finish the season, is one of the 5 best teams of the last 25 years....There's a problem.

Yeah thats a pretty fair way to sum that up. Rebuilding implies it had been built.

I have a neighbor that didn't know UNLV had football until 2 years ago. He's a mid-twenties local kid who played high school football in town...

Yeah thats a pretty fair way to sum that up. Rebuilding implies it had been built.

I have a neighbor that didn't know UNLV had football until 2 years ago. He's a mid-twenties local kid who played high school football in town...
That's pretty sad. If he played local HS ball then someone wasn't getting out into the community. Maybe was fishing somewhere instead....

Arroyo, to me, seems like a guy who would hold it against Tate just because his "star" overshadows the coach.

Maybe I guess.

What 'star' exactly though? High School stud QB?

It's not like he had much action at Ohio State or Miami.

Honestly I think it had more to do with local media asking him 4 straight questions about Tate who wasn't even practicing ar the time.

Basically ask me questions about who's here, who's practicing, not who isn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: TomKingsley
The "its not rebuilding since we were never good" argument, is a bit silly and just semantics.

The general idea still is valid. Arroyo is year 2, he is heavily recruiting HS with some transfer fill ins for need position. Changing Offense and Defensive schemes with not much to start from.

Building/rebuilding, whatever. He has not had much time to establish on the pieces of what this program can ulitmately be. His recruits have not been able to develop much.

Sure if he were 5 years in, have not won anything, barring a max exodus of players, rebuilding would not make sense.

Reactions: LocoRebel
That depth chart has the team getting undersized in a hurry with just a few injuries.
Arroyo should have the mindset of just winning games this season rather than who earned an arch. This team definitely can't have another season like last fall & keep fans in the stands.
That said, he has 3 more years left on his contract for 4.6 million no matter what results are on the field.

Wow, we are light on the o-line behind the starters. Backups at LT and right guard only 250, 255 lbs??

The "its not rebuilding since we were never good" argument, is a bit silly and just semantics.

The general idea still is valid. Arroyo is year 2, he is heavily recruiting HS with some transfer fill ins for need position. Changing Offense and Defensive schemes with not much to start from.

Building/rebuilding, whatever. He has not had much time to establish on the pieces of what this program can ulitmately be. His recruits have not been able to develop much.

Sure if he were 5 years in, have not won anything, barring a max exodus of players, rebuilding would not make sense.

Call it what you like, but rebuilding what exactly? The Harvey Hyde era?

Sanchez (With the help of some Fertitta money) was the first to try and build a foundation. (Robinson to a lesser degree with Sam Boyd expansion).

I was critical of Sanchez' X and O but he knew the only way to build the program was with money ie facility.

That was the first time UNLV ever truly invested in football vs the years of trying to ride the coattails of basketball. (Long long overdue...Maybe even too late).

It's easy to complain about UNLV coaching hires post Robinson. Hindsight being what it is...

But Sanford's resume was pretty solid and he was the OC for a team that had just busted the BCS, plus multiple stops at P5 programs. Didn't work.

Hauck, was 80-19 at Montana with multiple trips to the FCS title game. He had been rumored to be in the mix or interviewed for P5 jobs. It looked like UNLV was getting a young coach on the rise. Bad fit.

Sanchez was a gamble UNLV had to take because he brought money. Something UNLV has never had, or cared. to invest in football.

Arroyo is trying to build on the groundwork Sanchez laid (facility). There really wasn't anything prior to that.

Its building not rebuilding.

Semantics? Maybe, but pretty accurate all the same.

Reactions: CRhodes1983
The term "rebuilding" is very commonly term in sports for any team that is not expected to be a contender of anyway, especially with a new coach or some other situation where there is a mass exodus of players.

In our case "building" would be more accurate than "rebuilding" I aree, but to criticize someone for using the term rebuilding seems a bit much. It is a common term and we all know what it meant when it is said. We aren't expecting to be good and there needs more time to establish players, concepts, etc.

Sure building where there has been nothing is a more difficult task than something that has had success. But the same stuff is happening, both terms describe the team's general current status. Getting players, establishing schemes and cultures, etc.

My point that saying rebuilding or building basically describes the team in the same way. Though sure, tougher task when you haven't been any sort of good for nearly 20 years

Last edited:
Reactions: LocoRebel and NSU67
That depth chart has the team getting undersized in a hurry with just a few injuries.
Arroyo should have the mindset of just winning games this season rather than who earned an arch. This team definitely can't have another season like last fall & keep fans in the stands.
That said, he has 3 more years left on his contract for 4.6 million no matter what results are on the field.
I'm not sure how the new president will react if the football team with less than five games. He is the highest paid state employee. We have expectations that must be meant. We wish coach Arroyo the best this season.

I'm not sure how the new president will react if the football team with less than five games. He is the highest paid state employee. We have expectations that must be meant. We wish coach Arroyo the best this season.
Unreasonable expectations. We can hope they win that many but really how many years has it been since we won 5 games?

Reactions: rickyb55
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT