ADVERTISEMENT

Tate Martell

Two high schools and he won three high school state championships and was the mythical national championship all three years also - If he had been at the same school all four years instead of three would he have won another? He also took the time to be the 2016 Gatorade player of the year

Three universities (including UNLV) - and he has already graduated with a bachelor degree! It seems like it did more than his job in regards to graduation.

The Ohio State head coach who recruited him for his system quit the program and the new coach recruited over him with several high level transfers to fit into his new system, with no chance that Martell would do anything but ride the bench.

At the University of Miami Manny Diaz took over as the head coach at Temple on December 13th of 2018 and only two weeks later on December 30th quit Temple and took over as head coach in Miami. Only a matter of days latter Martell transferred to the university of Miami. He was never even given a chance to play at the university of Miami, and in regards to the suspension, I have no clue why that happened, but considering the character of a head coach who would take a job as a head coach only to quit two weeks later when hired by Miami, I would give zero credibility to coach Diaz (seems like we had a new basketball coach that screwed UNLV over the same way - and most of us thing he was a real sleaze).

As for commitments to numerous colleges, most of the universities send out offers to hundreds of players with the full knowledge that they will only accept less than 10% of the players that they have actively recruited. How many players now actively change their mind numerous times during the recruiting process? His first offer was when he was 13 years old (I believe Washington), his second offers was A&M which he changed when he had the chance to play at Ohio State in what he thought was his dream school before the coach left after his first year. Considering the history of Diaz and his lack of integrity, is it a shock that things did not work out at Miami for Martell?

Now he has accepted a walk on position at UNLV when he could have easily accepted a scholarship offer to other programs of which I am sure several are much higher rated than UNLV. He has walked away from a mess at Miami, a chinese virus year, and put himself in the transfer pool in January of 2021 when he figured out he needed a fresh start. He then took over a half year before deciding to play at UNLV.

I will wait and see. We also got a big time transfer QB from TCU, and I haven't seen anything as of yet!
It's just unfortunate said recruit PLUS the other had a combined less than 50 completions at the collegiate level.

This is just speculation and opinion, but despite losing the roles, for whatever reason they were at Ohio State and Miami, can absorb CMA's actual playbook (it seemed to me that offensive selection was limited based on, and I believe even stated on the record, what was available at the time) opens up a lot of options.

There is still a lot to be proven from just about every party involved, from top to bottom, BUT if this does, somehow work, you have a chance at a CMA running the pistol with Justin Herbert 2.0 you take the risk and hope it all shakes out in the end. If this works, at least on the offensive side of the ball, you have a completely different look.

I think this is a win win for both UNLV and Tate Martell. No loss of scholarship for UNLV, and a chance to complete for a position and play for Tate. If he isn't able to come in and be the QB UNLV needs to win this season, nothing has changed, if he can come in and immediately become the QB UNLV currently doesn't have, then there is a huge chance for UNLV to make a statement and to fill the stadium with new fans.

The young man has earned his degree. He has chosen to walk on to his home town school. He has indicated that he will try to help the team however he can.
He has shown me some positives.
If he helps, great. If not, UNLV is no worse off than two weeks ago.
No lose situation.

I am sure why so many people are ragging on Tate Martell? I have no doubt he came to UNLV for the right reasons, no doubt he had numerous offers from other schools for a full ride instead of as a wall on, and no doubt he will do his best to help the team. What I do find interesting is how many people are calling him a quitter while he was already able to graduate with a bachelor degree before he left U of Miami!
Excellent post. The kid is ultra talented and played at Ohio State for the love of god. He had to play behind multiple NFL first round picks so who wouldn’t leave to find a better fit for playing time?

He also stated he has matured and grown up a lot in the past year. Anyone that can’t see the positives in his joining Rebel football are just negative people and internet tough guys. He’s a human being so treat him as such...even on the internet! Welcome Tate, damn glad to have you!

Things have changed. The classes recruited at UNLV since the coaching change are by far the highest rated in the history of UNLV. In the past UNLV lacked a decent stadium, UNLV lacked a training facility, and UNLV lacked decent recruits!

The following is the recruiting history at UNLV since 2011, and this is why things will turn around:

Class Rank MWC Rank Rating
2011 110 10 0.7302
2012 101 7 0.7788
2013 98 8 0.7827
2014 117 11 0.7675
2015 106 7 0.7881
2016 81 3 0.7937
2017 117 11 0.7875
2018 99 8 0.7971
2019 102 8 0.8183
2020 80 2 0.8145
2021 68 3 0.8314

There is no doubt the quality of recruits has leaped up!

Currently in 2022 UNLV has 2 recruits with an average rating of 0.8570 which is the highest average in the conference.

You can also include the transfers (what other school, including BSU, has had this many transfer at a high level?):
Clayton Bradley from USC 0.8912
Justin Rogers from TCU 0.9772 HS 0.8600 transfer
Adam Plant from TCU 0.8666
Tate Martell Ohio St/Miami 0.9739
Connor Murphy USC 0.9063
Jordan Jakes Indian 0.8472
Jayvaun Wilson Oregon 0.8863
Kylan Wilborn Arizona 0.8312

I think this is a win win for both UNLV and Tate Martell. No loss of scholarship for UNLV, and a chance to complete for a position and play for Tate. If he isn't able to come in and be the QB UNLV needs to win this season, nothing has changed, if he can come in and immediately become the QB UNLV currently doesn't have, then there is a huge chance for UNLV to make a statement and to fill the stadium with new fans.
All fans who went to bishop Gorman. Dude if he’s better than Jon Denton. Look out!!!

lets not sugar coat this. bottom line is the kid hit the limelight, really young- super highly touted. What happens when young kids get all of that kind of hype? well if they aren't mature or emotionally equipped, they falter. Hard to live up to the hype. Adjusting to d1 is hard enough, especially when you were in a HS system that hid all of your weaknesses. It is what it is. He's talented, but don't buy into the hype. Don't get your hopes up. It's not like the UNLV football program is lucky enough to get a star on the rebound. It is what it is - its a good fit. hopefully he does well @ UNLV -if you are putting all your hopes in Martell to turn the program around, you're gonna be disappointed.

Reactions: CRhodes1983
Things have changed. The classes recruited at UNLV since the coaching change are by far the highest rated in the history of UNLV. In the past UNLV lacked a decent stadium, UNLV lacked a training facility, and UNLV lacked decent recruits!

The following is the recruiting history at UNLV since 2011, and this is why things will turn around:

Class Rank MWC Rank Rating
2011 110 10 0.7302
2012 101 7 0.7788
2013 98 8 0.7827
2014 117 11 0.7675
2015 106 7 0.7881
2016 81 3 0.7937
2017 117 11 0.7875
2018 99 8 0.7971
2019 102 8 0.8183
2020 80 2 0.8145
2021 68 3 0.8314

There is no doubt the quality of recruits has leaped up!

Currently in 2022 UNLV has 2 recruits with an average rating of 0.8570 which is the highest average in the conference.

You can also include the transfers (what other school, including BSU, has had this many transfer at a high level?):
Clayton Bradley from USC 0.8912
Justin Rogers from TCU 0.9772 HS 0.8600 transfer
Adam Plant from TCU 0.8666
Tate Martell Ohio St/Miami 0.9739
Connor Murphy USC 0.9063
Jordan Jakes Indian 0.8472
Jayvaun Wilson Oregon 0.8863
Kylan Wilborn Arizona 0.8312
wishful thinking. Absolutely NO CHANCE UNLV turns around its defunct football program around when the Athletic department is treated like a red headed step child from an Administration who could care less or wouldn't even know how to care even if they tried. There are 100 football programs better than UNLV, and it will ALWAYS be that way....it has to come from the top- a true -real commitment. Its not there -soooooo far away.

wishful thinking. Absolutely NO CHANCE UNLV turns around its defunct football program around when the Athletic department is treated like a red headed step child from an Administration who could care less or wouldn't even know how to care even if they tried. There are 100 football programs better than UNLV, and it will ALWAYS be that way....it has to come from the top- a true -real commitment. Its not there -soooooo far away.
What is your cause sir?

What is your cause sir?
It used to be to help UNLV return it's basketball to prominence. After decades of seeing politics and the administration just basically give up and abandon what basically put them on the map, I don't have a "cause" anymore. I used to be a fanboy...not so much anymore. I take a more realistic approach.

Reactions: unlv91
While the books have not changed the over/under for UNLV win total, the bettors have without question bet heavily on UNLV to go over. The books listed the team being bet over the most for win total, and UNLV was ranked #1. I am not sure if that was before or after Martell, but I have a feeling most people making bets feel like the coach is underplaying the team win potential.

Reactions: 220reb
While the books have not changed the over/under for UNLV win total, the bettors have without question bet heavily on UNLV to go over. The books listed the team being bet over the most for win total, and UNLV was ranked #1. I am not sure if that was before or after Martell, but I have a feeling most people making bets feel like the coach is underplaying the team win potential.
Of topic but when does practice start?

I am sure why so many people are ragging on Tate Martell? I have no doubt he came to UNLV for the right reasons, no doubt he had numerous offers from other schools for a full ride instead of as a wall on, and no doubt he will do his best to help the team. What I do find interesting is how many people are calling him a quitter while he was already able to graduate with a bachelor degree before he left U of Miami!

In what world would anybody turn down P5 or even G5B offers to walk on at UNLV?

Secondly Tate made a video saying all he needs is a coach to take a chance on him. That's not in line with 'he had plenty of offers'.

Third his college path has been..
Commit to Texas A&M, de-commit, Ohio State and then Miami...

There's no shame in not winning the job at any of those spots. They all had talented QB rooms.

Tate could come in and win the job.

He may never take a meaningful snap at QB for UNLV.

Neither of those outcomes would shock me in the least.

I wouldn't be shocked to see him find a role on offense, maybe at WR..

Wouldn't be shocked if he is off the roster by the middle of the season.

In what world would anybody turn down P5 or even G5B offers to walk on at UNLV?

Secondly Tate made a video saying all he needs is a coach to take a chance on him. That's not in line with 'he had plenty of offers'.

Third his college path has been..
Commit to Texas A&M, de-commit, Ohio State and then Miami...

There's no shame in not winning the job at any of those spots. They all had talented QB rooms.

Tate could come in and win the job.

He may never take a meaningful snap at QB for UNLV.

Neither of those outcomes would shock me in the least.

I wouldn't be shocked to see him find a role on offense, maybe at WR..

Wouldn't be shocked if he is off the roster by the middle of the season.

you left out that he committed to Washington and decommitted prior to committing to A&M.

Per Sam Gordon: UNLV football coach Marcus Arroyo said former Bishop Gorman star quarterback Tate Martell is still in the process of getting cleared to play. Martell wasn’t present for the first portion of practice, but was on the field when practice concluded.

I am not sure what on the field when practice concluded means, does that mean he was allowed to practice, or just walk out on the field during practice?

If you count a commit to Washington when he was 13, you should all apologize for telling everyone you wanted to be a fireman, policeman, astronaut, teacher, etc when growing up as a little kid. I guess that would be a couple of hundred stops or near stops for the average person in a lifetime!

Reactions: 86Rebel and brentjg
If you count a commit to Washington when he was 13, you should all apologize for telling everyone you wanted to be a fireman, policeman, astronaut, teacher, etc when growing up as a little kid. I guess that would be a couple of hundred stops or near stops for the average person in a lifetime!

It doesn't change the fact that he put out a video saying all he needed was a coach to take a chance on him.

Kindly explain how that pairs with 'He had plenty of offers'...

He still had three stops in 5 years.

I don't begrudge him trying to move to a spot that gave him a better chance to play.

He was never going to win the starting job at Ohio State.

It didn't work out in Miami.

He might end up the starter here. It's a distinct possibility.

He may never take a snap, also a distinct possibility.

But a dude that has bounced around 3 times in 5 years does raise some red flags.

Nobody is rooting against him.

I guess Cam Newton also really sucked because he changed school choices several times and ended up at 3 different schools:

Florida 2007-2008 6-12 for 54 yards and 103 yards rushing
Blinn 2009 (junior college) - greats stats but at a lower level program.
Auburn 2010 (started almost immediately!)

Last edited:
Reactions: brentjg
I guess Cam Newton also really sucked because he changed school choices several times and ended up at 3 different schools:

Florida 2007-2008 6-12 for 54 yards and 103 yards rushing
Blinn 2009 (junior college) - greats stats but at a lower level program.
Auburn 2010 (started almost immediately!)

Again you are conflating two separate topics.

Nobody is saying anybody 'sucks' because they transfer.

The number of transfers is the concern. Fair or not it could lead people to believe he doesn't want to face adversity.

Newton's transfers were also different. There were some early rules violations at Florida, something with a laptop I think.

I think a wait and see approach with Martell makes complete sense.

We've had a number of players heralded as difference makers and game changers the last few years. Few if any have panned out for whatever reason.

With Cam it wasn't just some rule violations (these were crimes), he actually stole the lap top from another student, on several occasions he assaulted other students, I also believe he took a car without permission (car theft). It is just a bad example of how a student athlete can get away with anything without consequences that would put an average student in jail for years.

I am using him as an example of an athlete who switched schools as often as Tate Martell (3 times enrolled each unless Tate switches again) that is not conflating two different topics, the fact is Auburn took a chance on a QB who had a history of jumping from school to school, he also backed out on a couple of other schools and never officially enrolled, and it was a home run for Auburn from day one! In the case of Auburn they spend a scholarship to see if he would pan out, in the case of UNLV, Tate is a no cost walk on!

With Cam it wasn't just some rule violations (these were crimes), he actually stole the lap top from another student, on several occasions he assaulted other students, I also believe he took a car without permission (car theft). It is just a bad example of how a student athlete can get away with anything without consequences that would put an average student in jail for years.

I am using him as an example of an athlete who switched schools as often as Tate Martell (3 times enrolled each unless Tate switches again) that is not conflating two different topics, the fact is Auburn took a chance on a QB who had a history of jumping from school to school, he also backed out on a couple of other schools and never officially enrolled, and it was a home run for Auburn from day one! In the case of Auburn they spend a scholarship to see if he would pan out, in the case of UNLV, Tate is a no cost walk on!

Who has said Tate sucks because he transferred multiple times? Some twitter trolls?

Nobody on here that I have seen has said he sucks.

Tate's transfers were not violation issues. Cam's initial move from Florida to JUCO to Auburn are not the same. Everyone wants to transfer out of a JUCO to go P5/G5.

UNLV isn't taking a chance on a guy with team/school violations in his past.

In fact they aren't taking a chance at all since he is a walk on.

They aren't the same.

I would guess everyone here has hopes he can contribute on some level.

Because they aren't willing to annoint him the savior or have reservations about his commitment doesn't mean they think he sucks.

Those are two different things.

Reactions: 86Rebel
I agree with what you are saying, but I have read a lot recently saying he can't play, he is a quitter, etc. I think he has a level of talent far beyond the average UNLV QB recruit, the big question is if he can still play at the level?

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I have no problem taking a shot on Tate. Especially as a walk on. He's small and doesn't have a ++arm, but he's got nice touch on his deep ball and reads the mesh on the read option decently well, which is a big part of Arroyo's scheme.

He's had a questionable locker room presence at times, but as long as he is on the same page with the staff it feels like a very low risk high potential reward move.

Last edited:
I have no problem taking a shot on Tate. Especially as a walk on. He's small and doesn't have a ++arm, but he's got nice touch on his deep ball and reads the mesh on the read option decently well, which is a big part of Arroyo's scheme.

He's had a questionable locker room presence at times, but as long as he is on the same page with the staff it feels like a very low risk high potential reward move.
Totally agree. Plus, if he's a good run/pass option guy, you could either run him at it full time, or alternate it in throughout the game to mix it up for the defense.

Reactions: 86Rebel and Couev
Totally agree. Plus, if he's a good run/pass option guy, you could either run him at it full time, or alternate it in throughout the game to mix it up for the defense.
I follow the Buckeyes (long story) and he actually had some issue with the modern RPO game in camp/practice. It's probably something that can be coached up, but his problems in that aspect of the OSU offense is part of the reason Fields was brought in--Hell, Joe Burrow was above average at both and Fields forced him to leave, and that was a guy groomed by Urban to be the starter.

He might be really interesting as a Slash type player. He doesn't have great top end speed but does have a pretty decent football IQ and shows great short quickness, vision and agility. If he wants to play professional football, his only real shot is develop into a slot WR--so part of me thinks you'll see him get some snaps there if he doesn't win the QB job.

Reactions: LVRebel2000

Interesting read. Tate not cleared to play medically. As expected, Arroyo is trying to direct attention away from Martell. Safe to say that it is likely we will not see him as a starting QB for some time now.

It wasn't from me, it was from one of the reporters on twitter. He did show some video of his passes that looked really good for someone who hasn't been practicing from some time! Just find his accout and check out the video on twitter (twitter sucks and is almost useless for the truth, but that is where you will find his video post)
COFIELD

@stevecofield

·
Aug 14

UNLV football Saturday practice. QB Tate Martell was active at practice this morning. Looks like the wrap was finally off his right thumb.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT