ADVERTISEMENT

Take away from Michigan game.

Bullmastiff 1

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2007
Las Vegas
Here are some things I took away from the game at Michigan. Some football related others fan/tradition related.

Game related.
1) Defense never looked overmatched. Physically they were able to contain Michigan's run game pretty well. They gave up 100 yards on 2 plays. The first was a beautiful reverse that Michigan set up the prior two plays.Sometimes teams execure a play so well there is nothing you can do and this was one of those times. The other was the 80 yard run. Jim H. said after the game it was poorly blocked and it was a great induvidual effort. Watching the replay the Rebels defended it well and had it strung out, but two guys over ran the play and another missed a tackle and the guy was gone. Outside of those two runs I felt defense played very well. Mike Hughes is starting to become a force on the defensive line. Last year this game would have been 49-7 with Michigan rushing for 350+ yards gouging UNLV for 7-8-9 yards a clip and beating them down just like Arizona.

2) Secondary was fantastic. Fred Wilson and local Hough really stood out. Michigan didn't throw the ball a lot but struggled when they did. In the past teams that were run heavy (Air Force, New Mexico , Colorado State) would always seem to kill the Rebs on one big play action pass during the game. That never happened vs Michigan. There were no guys running free in the secondary. The coverage was outstanding all game.

3) Offense on the other hand did seem a little overmatched physically. Offensive line had trouble opening any holes for the backs. Also pass protection struggled a bit. That said this should change heading into MWC play. I think physically the offense should be on more even terms. The run game and pass protection should improve.

2) Boyd struggled to get open until late in the game. We really need to see one of the other WRs start to step up and take some coverage away from Boyd.

3) The YPC wont show it but I thought Campbell and Thomas played their best games. Thomas ran hard and seemed to be more decisive putting his foot in the ground and settling for 1-2 yards rather than trying to bounce everything outside. Campbell had a beautiful run to the outside that showed power and a little speed. I think both of these guys will start seeing more snaps in conference play.

Football/Tradition

1) Our student body should be absolutely ashamed. I never had the chance to live the college experience so when I see the type of school spirit Michigan students showed I always come away impressed. Every year my brother and a group of friends do a road trip for a UNLV football game. Without question UNLV student body/section is the absolute worst I have seen. I know it's hard to support a losing program but they barely make an effort.

2) Enough crying about how far Sam Boyd is from campus. Out of the 108,000 fans at the Big House I would guess at least 50k travel more that 30 minutes to get to Ann Arbor. Detroit is 30 minutes away all the surrounding towns are a minimum 20 to 45 minutes away. Getting out of Ann Arbor probably takes at least an hour with how bad the traffic becomes.

3) The Big House was awesome. That said it is a stadium, made of concrete with metal bleachers. Just like Sam Boyd. It wasn't the stadium that made the atmosphere it was the fans and traditions that made it a fun experience. In no way am I am saying Sam Boyd compares to the Big House it doesn't. But why do we need a big new fancy stadium when we are barely able to get 15k fans to a game now? Subtract some seats and a video board you essentially have concrete and metal bleachers. The Big House was not some state of the art facility. But it did have state of the art fans, traditions and student section.

I left Michigan feeling jealous of their traditions and atmosphere.

Bull. I love your posts. Great analysis with detail and very objective. I look forward to your post-game post every week. Please whatever you do, don't stop writing.

Your comments about stadium and tradition are right on the money. Football needs to become a priority not just financially but emotionally. Attendance alone by the student sections makes the game day atmosphere very different. While I blame the individual students themselves, this one also comes back to the university and Greek student associations (fraternities and sororities). UNLV administration needs to everything possible to encourage student turnout. Funding for tail gates, transportation, entertainment, better thematic marketing associated with students (marketing efforts and themes). Give away free hot dogs and burgers to students. Do you know how many hot dogs and burgers can buy with $5K. The administration needs to make student attendance a major priority.

If you compare UNLV to Michigan you are going to be disappointed every time. It's really not an apples to apples comparison. From their 7 national titles, to countless winning seasons, it's just not the same. Give Michigan 8 2-win seasons in the past 10 years, and I think the Big House would not be so "Big".

With that said, however, one can also argue that they will never have 2-win seasons because of the support they get. Chicken or egg? Which causes which, if either?

Don't get me wrong, I have repeatedly advocated here that fans should show up and support regardless of record, and that they shouldn't "wait and see" before spending some time/money on this program. I truly believe that if Rebel fans would fill SBS like it was for the UCLA game (replace those blue shirts with scarlet/grey on the visitor sideline), UNLV will have a better chance to win, and/or will be more convincing in a win against Idaho State and other opponents.

With that said, I think you're in for a lifetime of disappointment if you are hoping for UNLV to turn into Michigan. Can we become Boise State? Absolutely. Switch conferences and become a U of Utah? Sure. Everyone here would be more than thrilled with that growth.

Not sure he or I was suggested that was a possibility. Michigan is one of the most storied football programs in history. I won't be disappointed at all.

His point is about environment being as much about the people in the stands rather than where they are watching it.

If you compare UNLV to Michigan you are going to be disappointed every time. It's really not an apples to apples comparison. From their 7 national titles, to countless winning seasons, it's just not the same. Give Michigan 8 2-win seasons in the past 10 years, and I think the Big House would not be so "Big".

With that said, however, one can also argue that they will never have 2-win seasons because of the support they get. Chicken or egg? Which causes which, if either?

Don't get me wrong, I have repeatedly advocated here that fans should show up and support regardless of record, and that they shouldn't "wait and see" before spending some time/money on this program. I truly believe that if Rebel fans would fill SBS like it was for the UCLA game (replace those blue shirts with scarlet/grey on the visitor sideline), UNLV will have a better chance to win, and/or will be more convincing in a win against Idaho State and other opponents.

With that said, I think you're in for a lifetime of disappointment if you are hoping for UNLV to turn into Michigan. Can we become Boise State? Absolutely. Switch conferences and become a U of Utah? Sure. Everyone here would be more than thrilled with that growth.
Was in no way comparing UNLV or Sam Boyd to Michigan or the Big House.

What I was really getting,at was difference in the cultures. People gladly drive over an hour to go to Michigan games while all we hear is incessant bitching about driving to a stadium that is 20 minutes from campus.

I understand that Michigan has a 100 years on us in terms of tradition. But those traditions were built over time they didn't just happen in one day.

Las Vegas has taken a wait and see approach with UNLV football. There will never be traditions with that type of attitude. I commend Sanchez for trying to get students/fans to cone out and greet the team coming off the bus. Its a start. What I would rather see is the student body create some of their own traditions or chants or signs or anything else to create some excitement.

This is a front runner town. Anybody who says we have always supported basketball is usinig revisionist history. The Thomas and Mack was barely half full during a lot of Charlie S. and Bano's tenure.

I think the University is making an effort to get the students engaged in football. They offer free busing to the games. I am pretty sure tickets are free, (Michigan students pay around 200 dollars for season tickets.) Just not sure what else UNLV can do to get students out to games.

I just find it sad really. I think the game where I really realized how apathetic the student body was, was when the Rebels beat Air Force with Rocky Hines at QB. After the game team went over to sing the school fight song and there were literally less than 100 students in the section. I know that was a tough year but in a school with 25k students that's pretty sad.

Bull. I love your posts. Great analysis with detail and very objective. I look forward to your post-game post every week. Please whatever you do, don't stop writing.

Your comments about stadium and tradition are right on the money. Football needs to become a priority not just financially but emotionally. Attendance alone by the student sections makes the game day atmosphere very different. While I blame the individual students themselves, this one also comes back to the university and Greek student associations (fraternities and sororities). UNLV administration needs to everything possible to encourage student turnout. Funding for tail gates, transportation, entertainment, better thematic marketing associated with students (marketing efforts and themes). Give away free hot dogs and burgers to students. Do you know how many hot dogs and burgers can buy with $5K. The administration needs to make student attendance a major priority.
Some good ideas for helping student turnout.

Re-reading my post, it didn't quite come off as I wanted, but you know we're on the same page. This town needs to embrace the Rebels NOW, and quit waiting for results. Especially since the results will be SOO much sweeter for those that hop on the bus now (or have been riding for years and years, like many here) instead of waiting to root for a winner.

And about this week. I don't think that the athletic department would do it, but they should start selling tickets for $5 or less to this game. Get bodies in the door, and let them watch this Rebel team play the right way and this time, get the reward we've been waiting for. Any available seat: $5. I wonder how many people would show up?

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I am with you. Drop the prices to 5 bucks.

How about getting together with Uber and Lyft. Maybe those students that don't take advantage of the bus could get a discounted ride by presenting a game day ticket. If nothing else it would lessen potential DUI situations.

Re-reading my post, it didn't quite come off as I wanted, but you know we're on the same page. This town needs to embrace the Rebels NOW, and quit waiting for results. Especially since the results will be SOO much sweeter for those that hop on the bus now (or have been riding for years and years, like many here) instead of waiting to root for a winner.

And about this week. I don't think that the athletic department would do it, but they should start selling tickets for $5 or less to this game. Get bodies in the door, and let them watch this Rebel team play the right way and this time, get the reward we've been waiting for. Any available seat: $5. I wonder how many people would show up?
No we are on the same page. Just viewing it from different angles.

Thanks for that by the way. I try to be as realistic a fan as possible.

<<<<<<<2) Enough crying about how far Sam Boyd is from campus. Out of the 108,000 fans at the Big House I would guess at least 50k travel more that 30 minutes to get to Ann Arbor. Detroit is 30 minutes away all the surrounding towns are a minimum 20 to 45 minutes away. Getting out of Ann Arbor probably takes at least an hour with how bad the traffic becomes.>>>>>>>>>

As you point Many of the fan bases in college football come for gameday from much further away than the furtherest reaches of Las Vegas to SBS, but most Stadiums are on campus, not sitting out in the middle of the desert. It just makes for a much nicer game day experience to have it on campus, get the fans onto campus for the day, for the weekend etc. People make a day out of it, hit the book store wander the campus, eat lunch and then tailgate right on campus.

Reactions: RebelinWA
"As you point Many of the fan bases in college football come for gameday from much further away than the furtherest reaches of Las Vegas to SBS, but most Stadiums are on campus, not sitting out in the middle of the desert. It just makes for a much nicer game day experience to have it on campus, get the fans onto campus for the day, for the weekend etc. People make a day out of it, hit the book store wander the campus, eat lunch and then tailgate right on campus."

That was one MAJOR point of difference I noticed about Michigan vs. Sam Boyd. There area around Michigan Stadium is quite built up with residences, Greek houses, stores, etc. It was a quick walk to a lot of great restaurants post game. Only part of the gamely experience was inside the stadium. Most of it was outside.

BTW, the Michigan crowd was big, but not very loud. Maybe because they thought it was a gimme, but I heard form the fans around us that the quiet crowd was typical...unless they were playing Ohio State.

" .

BTW, the Michigan crowd was big, but not very loud. Maybe because they thought it was a gimme, but I heard form the fans around us that the quiet crowd was typical...unless they were playing Ohio State.

Ive heard many people over the years say that a Michigan game is the quietest 100,000 people you will ever hear.

The way the second half was played by UNLV, there is a reason why UM fans were quiet. No, it wasnt because Jim Harbaugh was taking it easy on UNLV...quite the opposite, really. This Rebels team really took it to UM in the 2nd half or at least keep it respectable.

"As you point Many of the fan bases in college football come for gameday from much further away than the furtherest reaches of Las Vegas to SBS, but most Stadiums are on campus, not sitting out in the middle of the desert. It just makes for a much nicer game day experience to have it on campus, get the fans onto campus for the day, for the weekend etc. People make a day out of it, hit the book store wander the campus, eat lunch and then tailgate right on campus."

That was one MAJOR point of difference I noticed about Michigan vs. Sam Boyd. There area around Michigan Stadium is quite built up with residences, Greek houses, stores, etc. It was a quick walk to a lot of great restaurants post game. Only part of the gamely experience was inside the stadium. Most of it was outside.

You'll never hear me say that an on campus stadium isn't a better situation, especially in getting more students to attend. That still doesn't excuse a city the size of Las Vegas having such low attendance.

As for tailgating, yes a lot if it was on campus, but just as much if it was being done in a high school parking lot and on a golf course, some church parking lots etc. A number of those places were charging upwards of 50 dollars to park. One the designated tailgate areas where people rent spots were twice the price and half the size of what you could get at Sam Boyd. A number of the tailgate areas were minimum 15-20 minute walks from the stadium.

Is Sam Boyd ideal, no, but it is hardly 'in the middle of nowhere' being a 20 minute drive from campus. It also isn't some out of date facility like many make it out to be. You want to see a dumpster fire of a stadium take a trip to San Jose State.

Having a tailgate outside for students would be great. In fact, I think the Greek houses should consider setting up their own 'gates. If the school needs to subsidize them a little to get them off the ground, so be it. Need some traditions built. They should have concession specials inside for students - and maybe others - that become active in certain quarters. Maybe some of the "better" specials can be in the second half. :cheers2::fries::burger::pizza:

Look. I am at every Home Game for Football out at the Rebel Net tailgate spot and then in my seat watching the game. But those same Michigan fans would not travel that same distance to see those games if their team was a perennial cellar dweller. With that said, there are two things that I agree with in this thread regarding our "Culture." 1.) Fans are in a wait and see posture, and quite frankly its for two reasons. (a) This is the first year the School has publicly announced its support for the program moving forward, and (b) the majority of people in this city (not including student body) are from California or Arizona or some other city, and can't be bothered to watch these UNLV football games because quite frankly, this isn't their brand of football. 2.) More should be done to drum up a base that has been yearning for some glimmer of hope. How do you do that, one can only guess. They have started. The experience is getting better with the Kids stuff at the Tailgates etc... Re-growing the grass would be a good start as well. that hay from the UCLA game sucked. But, I will be back this weekend too.

Now, without knocking anyone here, because quite frankly something has to work, why not all these ideas? I don't have "THE" answer either. But the Students do the same thing for Basketball. It's wins. No one wants to go to a game when they know the outcome..... I am a third generation Las Vegas native. I will go to UNLV Games till I die. Its bred into me. But I think we would be myopic to believe that out of nowhere people will support a (till now.... maybe we'll see) failing program. It just won't happen. It's a fact of life. It's not like FREE tickets to these games are really hard to come by and that doesn't fill seats, so I doubt the $5.00 tickets will either. But it's a start. And it shows that the University is trying. Sometimes that's all it takes, the try. I am excited for the future so far. But I am a die hard... Most in this city aren't. It's just the facts.

Look. I am at every Home Game for Football out at the Rebel Net tailgate spot and then in my seat watching the game. But those same Michigan fans would not travel that same distance to see those games if their team was a perennial cellar dweller. With that said, there are two things that I agree with in this thread regarding our "Culture." 1.) Fans are in a wait and see posture, and quite frankly its for two reasons. (a) This is the first year the School has publicly announced its support for the program moving forward, and (b) the majority of people in this city (not including student body) are from California or Arizona or some other city, and can't be bothered to watch these UNLV football games because quite frankly, this isn't their brand of football. 2.) More should be done to drum up a base that has been yearning for some glimmer of hope. How do you do that, one can only guess. They have started. The experience is getting better with the Kids stuff at the Tailgates etc... Re-growing the grass would be a good start as well. that hay from the UCLA game sucked. But, I will be back this weekend too.

Now, without knocking anyone here, because quite frankly something has to work, why not all these ideas? I don't have "THE" answer either. But the Students do the same thing for Basketball. It's wins. No one wants to go to a game when they know the outcome..... I am a third generation Las Vegas native. I will go to UNLV Games till I die. Its bred into me. But I think we would be myopic to believe that out of nowhere people will support a (till now.... maybe we'll see) failing program. It just won't happen. It's a fact of life. It's not like FREE tickets to these games are really hard to come by and that doesn't fill seats, so I doubt the $5.00 tickets will either. But it's a start. And it shows that the University is trying. Sometimes that's all it takes, the try. I am excited for the future so far. But I am a die hard... Most in this city aren't. It's just the facts.
Good post lots to cover.

It comes down to a chicken or the egg scenario. What came first winning programs or great fan bases? How did more prestigious programs build great traditions? How did they create great fan bases? Did they happen overnight? Was Alabama great at football day one and then the fans came out or did people come out and support Alabama from the start and the program got better and better?

I have always argued when people say 'Vegas is starved for a winner'. Really? Based on how rabid a fan base we have? The great attendance? The people that spend money for season tickets? Vegas isn't starving for a winning football program they want it given to them. "I'll show up when they start to win" Without huge amounts of booster money the only other way to generate revenue is from attendance.

In regards to win and people will come.We were in a bowl game two years ago and after losing to Arizona in the season opener attendance was garbage for most of the season. You would think after the drought we had that a bowl appearance would have brought more people out the next season. Instead one loss and everybody packs it in for the year.

You used Michigan as an example saying people wouldn't drive all that way if the program wasn't successful. That is true to an extent. Michigan even with its great tradition has had down years especially recently. Yet even in the down years they have somehow been able to get over 100k fans into that stadium for every regular season game for the last 50 odd years. I went to the Washington State game a few years back and spoke to a number of the fans there. Pullman is 30k people plus another 30k students. Pullman is literally in the middle of nowhere. It is 45 minutes from Spokane the closest 'major' city. Most people attending the game that were non students drove over an hour to get there. Yet they have decent attendance numbers and their students show up despite the fact they are perennially around .500. Ever noticed how no matter where ESPN college game day is, there is a Washington State flag waving in the background? A lot of effort goes into displaying that type of school spirit for a program that has essentially been a whipping boy in the Pac-12 for years.

Having been to a number of UNLV road games and other college football games not involving UNLV I can say without question UNLV has the worst student section of them all. Next worst for football would have to be SDSU.

I agree the University is finally showing some support to the football program that is long overdue. Maybe this in turn will get people to start to take notice.

I have said for years the Athletic Dept. has needed to involve the student body more. These may not be the greatest suggestions ever but.....

1) Get with the Rebellion. Ask them what can we do to make the experience for football better. Until we get a new stadium, what would get kids out to the game.
2) Now that we have new uniforms and some different possible combinations, why not let the student body or the Rebellion vote on the combinations every week.
3) This may sound stupid but....When you look on sidelines these days, coaches are holding up boards with pictures on them that represent different plays. Pictures of Mike Tyson, Bart Simpson all kinds of nonsense. Why not have the Rebellion come up with the pictures that are going to be used to designate plays. Obviously they won't know what play their pictures will represent but at least they feel like part of the process.

I look at it like this. I haven't missed a game in over 15 years now, so another 3 years or so to turn this thing around is a drop in the bucket.

Last edited:
Good post lots to cover.

It comes down to a chicken or the egg scenario. What came first winning programs or great fan bases? How did more prestigious programs build great traditions? How did they create great fan bases? Did they happen overnight? Was Alabama great at football day one and then the fans came out or did people come out and support Alabama from the start and the program got better and better?

I have always argued when people say 'Vegas is starved for a winner'. Really? Based on how rabid a fan base we have? The great attendance? The people that spend money for season tickets? Vegas isn't starving for a winning football program they want it given to them. "I'll show up when they start to win" Without huge amounts of booster money the only other way to generate revenue is from attendance.

In regards to win and people will come.We were in a bowl game two years ago and after losing to Arizona in the season opener attendance was garbage for most of the season. You would think after the drought we had that a bowl appearance would have brought more people out the next season. Instead one loss and everybody packs it in for the year.

You used Michigan as an example saying people wouldn't drive all that way if the program wasn't successful. That is true to an extent. Michigan even with its great tradition has had down years especially recently. Yet even in the down years they have somehow been able to get over 100k fans into that stadium for every regular season game for the last 50 odd years. I went to the Washington State game a few years back and spoke to a number of the fans there. Pullman is 30k people plus another 30k students. Pullman is literally in the middle of nowhere. It is 45 minutes from Spokane the closest 'major' city. Most people attending the game that were non students drove over an hour to get there. Yet they have decent attendance numbers and their students show up despite the fact they are perennially around .500. Ever noticed how no matter where ESPN college game day is, there is a Washington State flag waving in the background? A lot of effort goes into displaying that type of school spirit for a program that has essentially been a whipping boy in the Pac-12 for years.

Having been to a number of UNLV road games and other college football games not involving UNLV I can say without question UNLV has the worst student section of them all. Next worst for football would have to be SDSU.

I agree the University is finally showing some support to the football program that is long overdue. Maybe this in turn will get people to start to take notice.

I have said for years the Athletic Dept. has needed to involve the student body more. These may not be the greatest suggestions ever but.....

1) Get with the Rebellion. Ask them what can we do to make the experience for football better. Until we get a new stadium, what would get kids out to the game.
2) Now that we have new uniforms and some different possible combinations, why not let the student body or the Rebellion vote on the combinations every week.
3) This may sound stupid but....When you look on sidelines these days, coaches are holding up boards with pictures on them that represent different plays. Pictures of Mike Tyson, Bart Simpson all kinds of nonsense. Why not have the Rebellion come up with the pictures that are going to be used to designate plays. Obviously they won't know what play their pictures will represent but at least they feel like part of the process.

I look at it like this. I haven't missed a game in over 15 years now, so another 3 years or so to turn this thing around is a drop in the bucket.

Bull, like I said. I don't discredit any idea in this thread. But if you are going to tell me that Alabama had great attendance, they sucked for decades, but the attendance is what eventually made them great. I would have to call bull. I agree, people have to attend. I too agree that the students need to be involved. But there are few teams that have been as bad as we have been for as long. Hard to garner support for that. I go, and you go, and all the folks that put together our tailgate go... But even as a die hard, you realize its hard sometimes too.

Also, I don't want anything "given" to me. But I do expect a marketable product. It appears for the first time in my life, the university is making it a priority. Good. Its about time.

Bull, like I said. I don't discredit any idea in this thread. But if you are going to tell me that Alabama had great attendance, they sucked for decades, but the attendance is what eventually made them great. I would have to call bull. I agree, people have to attend. I too agree that the students need to be involved. But there are few teams that have been as bad as we have been for as long. Hard to garner support for that. I go, and you go, and all the folks that put together our tailgate go... But even as a die hard, you realize its hard sometimes too.

Also, I don't want anything "given" to me. But I do expect a marketable product. It appears for the first time in my life, the university is making it a priority. Good. Its about time.
I totally understand what you are getting at.

Las Vegas being a relatively young city and UNLV being a young University presents problems in regards to having great traditions. It's beggining to change but Las Vegas is still a pretty transient city with more people originally from 'somewhere else'. That along with the programs struggles makes the cities apathy somewhat understandable. It does not excuse the poor student support. They are already given a lot for free, yet its never seemingly enough.

When I said Vegas wants a winning program given to them, I was referring to the average fan or those with the wait and see approach. People like you and I and other members on this board who already have season tickets or attend games on an even semi-regular basis have paid their dues.

Like I said or asked which came first, winning programs or great fan bases.

I can understand the city being apathetic but not the student body. Create some traditions before, during or after the game. Do something anything to make it an event. How many Wisconsin students look forward to the 3rd quarter of games just to do the 'jump around'. I get it we haven't been good. But these students have done very little to help the situation.

We can agree that it appears UNLV is making a push to improve the football program. Hopefully a new commitment to football, this staff and the next few recruiting classes can create/start a new culture.

Reactions: RebelinWA
The fact remains that Las Vegas is not like other cities and areas in regard to football. We always (myself included), tout the population as evidence that UNLV can and will be successful. But what isn't clearly understood is the exponential growth within 45 years to get to get to this number.

Being the fastest growing city for 20 years doesn't come without its problems. One look at our school district will show you what can happen with exponential growth. The numbers are astounding, just from 99' alone, Las Vegas added 800K people. Along the same lines, Las Vegas has only started to have a strong high school football culture. Sure, during my HS days, football was decently attended but it was never a 'thing' in Las Vegas. I think the HS football culture has changed in the last 10-15 years. It's beginning to have teams in the national ranking mix. It has become a decent recruiting bed for many collegiate programs.

This shift in HS football culture will help UNLV in its efforts to build a stronger program. This HS community culture will trickle over to UNLV and I think they'll be greater interest in UNLV becoming competitive. Additionally, UNLV will increase its Las Vegas recruiting penetration and you'll see more good kids stay home.

Another issue that comes along with exponential growth has to do with association with the university. Most cities of 2M plus would have a decent percentage of its population that graduated, attended or has a family member attend the university. Any Las Vegan can tell you that most residents came from somewhere else. Most come from California but other southwest states and the northeast states are in the mix. Of the total population, 54 percent have some form of college education meaning that they probably brought their college sports affiliation and fanship with them. Also, the average length of residency for the population is ONLY 9 years meaning a majority of the population have only lived here between 15-20 years.

152p2x4.jpg

So it's easier to understand why UNLV games aren't well attended when considering the overall population. While all these people live in Las Vegas, do they actually consider themselves 'Las Vegans'? And it's obvious they have no affiliation with the university.

This information alone, and maybe it has, should direct UNLV marketing strategy to sell season tickets and increase overall attendance. Personally, I would continue to invest in making the football an entertainment event beyond just football. I won't rehash all my suggestions but they need to invest and make the game interesting and fun to attend. I also think they should focus OOC home and aways on west coast high traveling opponent. You can mix up some G5 Midwest or Eastcoast teams but they have to have high attendance at their games. As much as I dislike BYWho, and I don't think the conference should support their independence, UNLV should schedule them. Their is a massive Mormon population and subsequent BYU base in Las Vegas and these games will always be well attended.

To Homers point, winning could have changed this long ago. No matter what, people will support a winner. If UNLV maintained its success in the early 80's or even had a .500 team, attendance would likely be much more different and those new comers (from population growth) would have adopted the program. Unfortunately that's not where we are. As I write this, it pisses me off more that the university never invested properly into the program. To me the key word is properly. J Rob was a very good attempt to get UNLV on track but he still didn't have what was needed. UNLV needs to focus its attention on building funds to increase recruiting budget, coaches salaries, and add facilities and student support services. This is not to say anything should be taken away from the basketball program. UNLV basketball is part of the UNLV brand and shouldn't be compromised. But there is no reason why the university cannot continue to focus on basketball while shifting priority to football.

Ask yourself this question.

If you live in LV and have no afiliation to UNLV other than its in the same city you live in, would you go to the ISU game on Sat night or go to your favorite watering hole and watch UCLA vs UofA, Oregon vs Utah, A$M vs Arkansas and MSU vs Auburn?

I know what I would do, Id be at the bar wtaching some very compelling match ups. As I wrote before I live in San Diego and never go to SDSU games unless they are playing UNLV. Id rather be at the bar. I love attending college football games but SDSU just like UNLV is not a great game day atmoshpere so to get my fix I have to travel to games to do it, which I have no problem doing because I love it, but if I lived in an area with a big time program Id be at every game in my hometown, not getting on an airplane 7-8 Saturdays each Fall to go somewhere else and the weekends I am here going to the bar rather than to The Q.

If you live in LV and have no afiliation to UNLV other than its in the same city you live in, would you go to the ISU game on Sat night or go to your favorite watering hole and watch UCLA vs UofA, Oregon vs Utah, A$M vs Arkansas and MSU vs Auburn?

I know what I would do, Id be at the bar wtaching some very compelling match ups. As I wrote before I live in San Diego and never go to SDSU games unless they are playing UNLV. Id rather be at the bar. I love attending college football games but SDSU just like UNLV is not a great game day atmoshpere so to get my fix I have to travel to games to do it, which I have no problem doing because I love it, but if I lived in an area with a big time program Id be at every game in my hometown, not getting on an airplane 7-8 Saturdays each Fall to go somewhere else and the weekends I am here going to the bar rather than to The Q.
So like Bull said above, you want a "big-time program" handed to you rather than proactively taking steps to create it.

My answer to the question is this: I want to be a part of something big. Sure it is entertaining to watch good football games (or any sporting event, for that matter). But which will give me more satisfaction or more enjoyment: watching a good game between UCLA and UofA, or the payoff when MY team gets to the top of the mountain? I guarantee you that the satisfaction and enjoyment I had watching UNLV beat the crap out of SDSU during our bowl season was greater than watching a compelling SEC game (and while getting to 7 wins and an almost certain bowl berth was hardly conquering Everest, it may as well have been based on the program's history).

And in order for that payoff to be there, you've gotta be bought in, even during bad or "meh" times.

I firmly believe that if more residents bought in and supported, instead of taking a "here I am now, entertain me" position, the results and payouts would have come much sooner.

Totally understand the sentiment of your post, but I look at sports just like music, its always better live.

Reactions: LasVegasReb
I think we just need time to mature as a university. We lack the network of bigtime alumni that much older universities have. Rebwin is right. Most of the rich and famous in this town graduated elsewhere and thus send their money elsewhere. Even past that, most of the people that call Vegas home aren't from Vegas. Its hard to compare our football traditions with large schools that have been around since the 1800's. We haven't hit the point where we have legacy students who had great grandparents graduate from UNLV. I honestly think building our academics will help take football to the next level. We need to give students a reason to call UNLV home to create loyality. That starts with building the university system to serve the needs of the community.

We are in a unique position since have the potential to grow much faster than other universities did at our current stage due to our nature with the Las Vegas strip, however we need more than that. I think Sanchez hit it on the head when he said building the program takes more than a couple of deep pockets. There will be growing pains, but I think it can be done.

Last edited:
I think we just need time to mature as a university. We lack the network of bigtime alumni that much older universities have. Rebwin is right. Most of the rich and famous in this town graduated elsewhere and thus send their money elsewhere. Even past that, most of the people that call Vegas home aren't from Vegas. Its hard to compare our football traditions with large schools that have been around since the 1800's. We haven't hit the point where we have legacy students who had great grandparents graduate from UNLV. I honestly think building our academics will help take football to the next level. We need to give students a reason to call UNLV home to create loyality. That starts with building the university system to serve the needs of the community.

We are in a unique position that we can grow much faster that other universities did due to our nature with the Las Vegas strip, however we need more than that. I think Sanchez hit it on the head when he said building the program takes more than a couple of deep pockets. There will be growing pains, but I think it can be done.
One of the best posts I have read on here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT