ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Practice Questions

Bullmastiff 1

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2007
Las Vegas
If anybody has any questions about practice feel free to ask them here.

I'll preface this by saying I can't go into any detail about the following things.

1) Injuries
2) QB battle. (I can give overall impression, but I can't give a daily breakdown of how guys are doing)
3) Stuff like Offensive or defensive formations or packages.

If there are any position groups you are interested in, or players that should be fine.

I ll go ahead and answer the no no questions.

1) Injuries

- Sometimes people get hurt. They get better eventually, hopefully, sometime; like they guy in Monty Python that got turned into a newt.

2) QB battle. (I can give overall impression, but I can't give a daily breakdown of how guys are doing)

Expect the guy who can get the ball to the receiver and the guy who can also so run well to win. I can confidently say that there will be no give me's.

3) Stuff like Offensive or defensive formations or packages.

Special teams will kick the oblonged shaped ball through the post, or they will try to stop it. Sometimes they will punt. Sometimes they will return the punts.

The Offense will try to move an oblonged shaped ball down the field.

The Defense will hit people.

My biggest concerns are on Defensive Line and Line Backer. Can you give us who you think is starting. Guys that are locks and guys that are still battling?
I hear Gabe Mc Coy a lot so Im guessing he is a lock at LB

Mike Hughes and Jason Fao are the starting D Tackles and both playing at a high level. I have only been to 2 practices but Bull can probably elaborate further on the depth behind them.

D End is where the Questions begin. Roger Mann, Finau, Jones, Zepeda , Holloway are the top guys battling for those roles. I think we will see Mann/Finau to start but Jones will slowly come along and play a prominent role. Zepeda looks the part but needs to put it all together, showed flashes last year and needs to build on that.

LB is an interesting group. Keyes is the #1 MLB and is a big physical guy. McCoy is locked in at one starting spot and just makes so many plays because of his quick first step and overall high motor. Laolagi is currently the other starter but could be pushed when Katoanga gets on campus. Rominger will slowly work his way into the rotation as well as he gets caught up on the scheme but he has the ability .

Fao and Hughes look like complete animals on the line up. If you consider our 1's and most of our 2's on the O line are really good, they struggle against Fao and Hughes. Both are incredibly strong, and disruptive. Its 630ish pounds of strong man that need to be accounted for. Since both of them each take a double team, it should allow the defense more room to pass rush.

Our defense was solid against the run last year, and it will continue to be this year. With Dedastien and Wily pushing the 2's. Supposiy Wily is up in the 290's. He doesn't look it since he managed to retain his still mobility. Pushing them is Iafeta. He's in that unique state where he could line up and look the part at end right now. I m interested to see how he develops. At 6'5 he has the frame to grow. He's a little light right now, but he will be a contender soon enough. Remember, they have the rest of spring and summer to put on muscle.

Our ends leave a big question mark, I ll leave it to Bull or Buck to write about them.

I like where our linebackers are. I thought we might be in worse off shape because we are missing 3 starteds, expecially Tau. I d label the three that stepped up in Keyes, Laolagi, and McCoy as an overall improvement. Obviosuly you can't replace the production of Tau, and he will be missed. But McCoy from the weakside is an upgrade in speed. He's fast, and he his very strong. I m not sure where he will line up, since they have been rotating him, Laolagi and a couple of over guys around the chain. Buck already touched on Keyes so there isn't much to say, except with 3 steps of force, he can push around O linemen. Laolagi is an overall upgrade to Lea in every catagory. Bigger, faster, stronger, with better vision.

In short, D line is stronger, linebackers are faster/ more mobile than last year.

My biggest concerns are on Defensive Line and Line Backer. Can you give us who you think is starting. Guys that are locks and guys that are still battling?
I hear Gabe Mc Coy a lot so Im guessing he is a lock at LB

Rebelbuck pretty much nailed it.

Early on the staff has been giving the veteran guys 1st team reps.

DT depth is solid. Hughes, Fao, Dedashtian, Alo-Wily are the two deep. I don't think I'll get in trouble for this, but L. Tatum may no longer on be on the roster. (Red shirt freshman that came with David Tate) Iafeta has been making some strides and has been seeing some second team reps. At 6'3 to 6'5 and 285 he can add 15-20lbs. There is a Juco coming in the Fall who could press for time. I like the depth at this spot especially when we add the JUCO in the fall.

Defensive end is a little less clear. Juco Roger Mann has moved up to the 1st team. He is a grinder, more of a strongside guy. Mark Finau is on the otherside. Finau is a little bit of a tweener OLB/DE. Rodney Jones has made some strides and is seeing some first team reps. Zepeda is with the 2s. He is an intriguing guy with size and athleticism. I keep waiting for things to click with him. My guess, he is more a situational guy though. J. Holloway is athletic, but still needs to add some weight. He looks another year away. Juco transfer Rasheed Parks got here in the Spring. He's made a couple plays, but is still with 2s/3s. Last is Jalil Briley, a local walk on. 6'3 225. He looks the part but has yet to really push the two deep. This group is my biggest concern. Jones shows some promise but I still think pass rush could be an issue.

Keyes, McCoy, Laolagi have seen nearly all the first team reps. McCoy has shown good pash rush ability and has been good vs the run. Keyes has been solid. Big strong guy and good tackler. Laolagi is pretty athletic. This isn't a knock on him, he just hasn't done anything that has stood out. That isn't saying he isn't doing well just not flashing. 2s have been Rominger, Borg, O'Halloran and Tate has seen some run as well. Possible Borg or O'Halloran could push Laolagi but I think Laolagi holds them off. Cameron Carr is 6'1 250, but would be 3rd at MLB. Katoanga and Hester might push for time. I hate to speculate on guys I haven't seen live though. I think McCoy could have a solid year. I think this unit is more athletic overall vs last year. If that translates to better performance or results not sure yet.

Mike Hughes and Jason Fao are the starting D Tackles and both playing at a high level. I have only been to 2 practices but Bull can probably elaborate further on the depth behind them.

D End is where the Questions begin. Roger Mann, Finau, Jones, Zepeda , Holloway are the top guys battling for those roles. I think we will see Mann/Finau to start but Jones will slowly come along and play a prominent role. Zepeda looks the part but needs to put it all together, showed flashes last year and needs to build on that.

LB is an interesting group. Keyes is the #1 MLB and is a big physical guy. McCoy is locked in at one starting spot and just makes so many plays because of his quick first step and overall high motor. Laolagi is currently the other starter but could be pushed when Katoanga gets on campus. Rominger will slowly work his way into the rotation as well as he gets caught up on the scheme but he has the ability .
It's very hard to find an elite rusher in the front four. I really hope we utilize our speed and play a 3-4 defense or on passing downs bring in a designated speed rusher he might weigh only 200-220. I don't care but we must get to the quarterback.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT