ADVERTISEMENT

SDSU CAN'T EVER BE TRUSTED

220reb

Rebel Legend
May 29, 2001
Unbelievable. They pulled this BS after we took them back. We should have fined them way more than 100k.

Unbelievable. They pulled this BS after we took them back. We should have fined them way more than 100k.

Hmmmm …. Listen, I don’t like SDSU at all …. But them trying to take the bull by the horns and ensure future excellence …. I don’t have a problem with that. Even if it “screwed us over”.

I wish UNLV was in a position and had the aggressiveness to make bold moves. UNLV sits by idly and lets things fall wherever and then ho hums them.

If we were doing what SDSU is doing, would you really be upset?

They don’t care about us or anybody else in the MWC and others in the MWC care about themselves only. There’s no unity, no matter what they put out there for us to see. It’s dog eat dog, or in the MWC, kitten eat kitten world …

I saw that and posted in another thread. They just make me shake my head. How in the hell does Adele think she would get out of paying the $34 million dollars that they were worried about when trying to get to the Pac12.

Hmmmm …. Listen, I don’t like SDSU at all …. But them trying to take the bull by the horns and ensure future excellence …. I don’t have a problem with that. Even if it “screwed us over”.

I wish UNLV was in a position and had the aggressiveness to make bold moves. UNLV sits by idly and lets things fall wherever and then ho hums them.

They don’t care about us or anybody else in the MWC and others in the MWC care about themselves only. There’s no unity, no matter what they put out there for us to see. It’s dog eat dog, or in the MWC, kitten eat kitten world …
Players can get 2 minutes less per game than they want and bolt to another school. Coaches can go to another school without a problem. We’ve set up the horrific selfishness over the past two decades or so. With pro sports, longer than that. Zero loyalty, all about me.

So I don’t know, just can’t be surprised when schools do it.

It love for the game and everything else to be more ethical, but that’s just not real life.

SDSU is right. Disband the corrupt MWC and it's no pay TV networks. Money talks and the Presidents of Wyoming, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah State are afraid of joining the WAC and voted their interests. Get the best schools, CSU, UNLV, SDSU, USU, Boise, Fresno State, and leave. Join with Cal and WSU to save the league in the long run. If UNLV's board doesn't want this, they are beholden to the politicians in Carson City for their funding. Votes talk and these politicians will cave. Las Vegas has more power than the rest of the state and we should exercise it for something other than pro baseball.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
If our Commissioner that replaced Greg..... Craig " 🤡 " Thompson isn't already is talks to merge with the PAC-4 she should be ASAP !

The PAC still holds Power 5 Status and a spot in the Football Playoffs as currently constructed !!

If our Commissioner that replaced Greg..... Craig " 🤡 " Thompson isn't already is talks to merge with the PAC-4 she should be ASAP !

The PAC still holds Power 5 Status and a spot in the Football Playoffs as currently constructed !!
Yeah, that's true. Apparently there's a meeting scheduled in the next week or two to discuss this though. Obviously, it will stay as is for this year since the conferences are still in tact, but next year all bets are off

Reactions: bcvegaspt
The whole premise that SDSU called around and the rest of the league was like "sit down and shut up" is hilarious. This also leads me to believe that they were told "not interested" by the Big 12 as well, so they wanted to create their own P5 leftover.

Joe I understand where you are coming from but " it's the way they handle their business that kills me ". They say one thing and do something totally different. It is my belief that the President and the Athletic Director need to be fired Immediately.

Yeah, that's true. Apparently there's a meeting scheduled in the next week or two to discuss this though. Obviously, it will stay as is for this year since the conferences are still in tact, but next year all bets are off
Stanford has to be included for this to be successful. Having them in the conference will be very beneficial.

I don't know what the answer is on how to either pay or get around the exit fee's but staying in the MWC is very short sighted by UNLV and will be the final nail in the coffin. NCAA is changing and several teams will be left out and I am not just talking about conferences. Hang on the coat tails of Wyoming, UNM, UNR, SJST and these schools and mind as well just cancel your sports programs. UNLV needs to be proactive like SDSU and get the hell out. $34 million now or follow the MWC down the hole and start discussing our new completion against the big sky, that will probably be the MWC's msin conference foe.

Reactions: rebel5280
I don't know what the answer is on how to either pay or get around the exit fee's but staying in the MWC is very short sighted by UNLV and will be the final nail in the coffin. NCAA is changing and several teams will be left out and I am not just talking about conferences. Hang on the coat tails of Wyoming, UNM, UNR, SJST and these schools and mind as well just cancel your sports programs. UNLV needs to be proactive like SDSU and get the hell out. $34 million now or follow the MWC down the hole and start discussing our new completion against the big sky, that will probably be the MWC's msin conference foe.
I feel like the current administration is doing a better job of being proactive.

In the past 10-15 years prior, we really screwed the pooch with basketball when firing CDR, then the sequence of events after that. We were winning big games against ranked opponents, recruiting well, etc, but decide to fire him and bring in Menzies. Wow. Hopefully the current staff and help from the NIL stuff will bring basketball back to at least where it was under Rice, to where we're nationally respectable.

We also didn't prioritize football, well, pretty much ever, knowing that this is truly the engine that drives the realignment stuff. We've now brought in what seems to be a good coach, and we have really great facilities. Now is the time to go all in for UNLV athletics. We probably have a maximum of 5-10 years to make a jump, or we're likely to be stuck in the lower tier for a long time.

The whole, "it takes money to make money" idea is certainly true for us right now if we want to jump in with the big boys. So far it seems like the admin is moving in that direction, but we'll see how it plays out I guess.

You leave and hope the conference dissolves around you. There's no fee if the conference then breaks apart. Thats the bet SDSU wants to take although trusting them to create a "new P5" conference wouldnt be my first choice of where to go. But if someone can convince 5 schools to go elsewhere essentially dissolving the conference then there's no enforcement to collect on.
*And one could argue even a new MWC with weaker teams brought in to help it survive post departures is not the same conference...

I feel like the current administration is doing a better job of being proactive.

In the past 10-15 years prior, we really screwed the pooch with basketball when firing CDR, then the sequence of events after that. We were winning big games against ranked opponents, recruiting well, etc, but decide to fire him and bring in Menzies. Wow. Hopefully the current staff and help from the NIL stuff will bring basketball back to at least where it was under Rice, to where we're nationally respectable.

We also didn't prioritize football, well, pretty much ever, knowing that this is truly the engine that drives the realignment stuff. We've now brought in what seems to be a good coach, and we have really great facilities. Now is the time to go all in for UNLV athletics. We probably have a maximum of 5-10 years to make a jump, or we're likely to be stuck in the lower tier for a long time.

The whole, "it takes money to make money" idea is certainly true for us right now if we want to jump in with the big boys. So far it seems like the admin is moving in that direction, but we'll see how it plays out I guess.
Me too. I’m not going to blame the present for the grave sins of the past administrators. This took a lot of wrong along the way.

You leave and hope the conference dissolves around you. There's no fee if the conference then breaks apart. Thats the bet SDSU wants to take although trusting them to create a "new P5" conference wouldnt be my first choice of where to go. But if someone can convince 5 schools to go elsewhere essentially dissolving the conference then there's no enforcement to collect on.
*And one could argue even a new MWC with weaker teams brought in to help it survive post departures is not the same conference...
There won't be any exit fee when the media contract expires. That might be the best time to do something. And I'm 100% in agreement with not trusting SDSU to create anything. They show one failure after another in their attempts to get away from the MWC.

There won't be any exit fee when the media contract expires. That might be the best time to do something. And I'm 100% in agreement with not trusting SDSU to create anything. They show one failure after another in their attempts to get away from the MWC.
That's through 2026. I think that if we wait until then the dust will already be settled and we'll be on the outside looking in.

Reactions: RRebel
I'm not mad at them, TBH I hope UNLV was in with them trying to create a better conference. Nothing wrong with trying to find a way in getting an upgrade with all the craziness that has gone on.
Agreed. Why not try to improve your situation. It's like getting made at someone for going to a different job for a significant pay raise. Never know unless you try.

I cannot believe 9 mwc schools would not vote to eliminate the exit fees so they got a chance to go to close to a p5 level. The exit fees make it impossible to move away from the mwc.

I cannot believe 9 mwc schools would not vote to eliminate the exit fees so they got a chance to go to close to a p5 level. The exit fees make it impossible to move away from the mwc.
I agree. Though it could be an issue that the remaining 4 PAC schools don't want 9 of the schools. Maybe they only want 6 (or whatever). Other option being thrown around a lot is a merger between the AAC and the PAC. That would likely result in a better overall conference, but the travel would be insane.

Personally, I think the PAC needs to hold their nose, invite the 9 MWC teams, and then poach a few others from the AAC. The MWC would likely refill with other AAC, WAC, WCC, etc teams, and continue on.

Either that, or, the 4 PAC schools split the remaining money and shut it down. Then Stanford and Cal go indy, and OSU and WSU join the MWC.

Then MWC should try to add some of the AAC schools to strengthen it. Maybe SMU, Memphis. Possibly Tulane, I don't know

It would have lost its autonomous status in voting and its lock to the playoff. And the money will be LOWER than 21m, which is what pax 12 turned down from Apple. 9 schools leave mwc to make possibly more money and risk not getting their invite? If they needed 4 or 6, I can see if happening. Sdsu, unlv, fresno, csu, boise... for sure. Everyone else would have been stupid to vote to dissolve

Reactions: Couev
It would have lost its autonomous status in voting and its lock to the playoff. And the money will be LOWER than 21m, which is what pax 12 turned down from Apple. 9 schools leave mwc to make possibly more money and risk not getting their invite? If they needed 4 or 6, I can see if happening. Sdsu, unlv, fresno, csu, boise... for sure. Everyone else would have been stupid to vote to dissolve
I don't see Stanford and Cal wanting Fresno. Don't know about bois3e. Sdsu, unlv, csu, af.

I am saying 9 schools from mwc reach out to pac4 and say if pac will take us 9, we blow up the mwc rules. Then pac adds smu, memphis, and utsa, you have a pretty strong conference

I am saying 9 schools from mwc reach out to pac4 and say if pac will take us 9, we blow up the mwc rules. Then pac adds smu, memphis, and utsa, you have a pretty strong conference
I think that's the disconnect--I don't think they want to take 9. Just go down the list:

SDSU - Probably a shoe in - Good Football, Great basketball, great TV market, poor academics
Boise St - Probably a shoe in - Very Good Football, Above Average Basketball, smaller TV market, very poor academics
Colorado State - Worth a flier - Below Average Football and Basketball, Very Good Academics, shared access to a good TV market they just lost access to recently, some travel issues

Everyone after that has a lot more Warts:
Fresno State - Good Football, poor basketball, poor academics, small tv market and saturation, '2nd tier' cal state system
UNLV - Average Basketball very poor football, average academics, good tv market but poor saturation, destination city
UNM - Very Poor Football, above average basketball, Flagship state university, above average academics, good TV market with good saturation
Utah State - Average Football, Good Basketball, poor academics, very poor TV market but fair regional saturation.
San Jose State - Good Football, below average basketball, good academics, 2nd tier Cal State institution, regionally redundant TV market - Stanford and Cal own the Bay Area
UNR - Football program in flux, call it below average right now, average basketball, average academics, flagship state university, Tiny media market with very good penetration
Air Force - Very good football program, very poor basketball program, excellent Academics, Smaller regional market but some fair national saturation, service academy.
Hawai'i - Poor football, Poor basketball (obviously football only atm but is one of the 12 voting schools), destination location, average academics, expensive travel partner
Wyoming - Above average football, poor basketball, above average academics, flagship state university, tiny media market with excellent saturation, big travel issues

There is just no legitimate series of events where they take 9 teams. Say they take as many as 7 or 8--there's no WAY the 4-5 schools that got left behind are going to let anyone wiggle out of that penalty because they will have to scramble to raid the WAC or others to get people to add to the MWC or they'll need that money to help them find new homes.

I think that's the disconnect--I don't think they want to take 9. Just go down the list:

SDSU - Probably a shoe in - Good Football, Great basketball, great TV market, poor academics
Boise St - Probably a shoe in - Very Good Football, Above Average Basketball, smaller TV market, very poor academics
Colorado State - Worth a flier - Below Average Football and Basketball, Very Good Academics, shared access to a good TV market they just lost access to recently, some travel issues

Fresno State - Good Football, poor basketball, poor academics, small tv market and saturation, '2nd tier' cal state system
UNLV - Average Basketball very poor football, average academics, good tv market but poor saturation, destination city
UNM - Very Poor Football, above average basketball, Flagship state university, above average academics, good TV market with good saturation
Utah State - Average Football, Good Basketball, poor academics, very poor TV market but fair regional saturation.
San Jose State - Good Football, below average basketball, good academics, 2nd tier Cal State institution, regionally redundant TV market - Stanford and Cal own the Bay Area
UNR - Football program in flux, call it below average right now, average basketball, average academics, flagship state university, Tiny media market with very good penetration
Air Force - Very good football program, very poor basketball program, excellent Academics, Smaller regional market but some fair national saturation, service academy.
Hawai'i - Poor football, Poor basketball (obviously football only atm but is one of the 12 voting schools), destination location, average academics, expensive travel partner
Wyoming - Above average football, poor basketball, above average academics, flagship state university, tiny media market with excellent saturation, big travel issues

There is just no legitimate series of events where they take 9 teams. Say they take as many as 7 or 8--there's no WAY the 4-5 schools that got left behind are going to let anyone wiggle out of that penalty because they will have to scramble to raid the WAC or others to get people to add to the MWC or they'll need that money to help them find new homes.
Well done Couev.

This is a solid and imo sound breakdown. Really good post

Sadly, this is very accurate. Of the teams with more warts, several of those, including UNLV, have a much higher ceiling.

If they want to keep the conference, IMO, they need to do something like this. Supposedly, the remaining PAC schools are going to get somewhere in the vicinity of $400 million after all the other schools leave. That gives them a good amount of money to pay out some of the buyouts for other schools, or even finance them and spread them out over a period of time.

1. Invite SMU, as they were planning on doing before. SMU doesn't seem to have an issue with money, so let them do their own buyout.
2. Invite SDSU, as they were planning on doing before. The buyout money is going to be an issue, so the PAC should pay their $34 million exit fee, and then deduct 3-4 million per year (or whatever they agree to do) of their annual payout until it's repaid. (Possibly split the exit fees with SDSU/PAC so there is more incentive to leave)
3. Invite 2 more schools for the 2024-25 season, which would bring them up to 8 schools, which I believe is enough to keep them valid as a conference, and possibly as an auto bid qualifier, but not positive.
4. Invite UNLV, CSU, BSU, Fresno at the same time as they invited SMU & SDSU, but have them push off joining for another year. That lowers the buyout do $17 million per school. Once these 4 join in 2025-26, that brings them up to 12 teams. Finance the buyouts as needed similar to the SDSU model. Possibly split exit fees, as noted with SDSU.
5. Consider bringing in 2-4 other schools from the AAC. Depending on buyouts, they could join with SMU, or with the later group with UNLV/CSU, etc.

Reactions: j. spilotro

I get your point. Do not even disagree. But if you want to not just get the crumbs thrown your way, organize the top 9 as a package, along with memphis, smu and the pac4 . And maybe tulane. That is a strong conference.

It is total death to mwc to lose like the top 3 or 4 schools to something else. That is way worse and it would takes years to escape that.

Where do you get you academic rankings from? I’ve never thought of UNLV my alma mater as average and SDSU poor, I’d reverse those. I know there are a million different ranking systems so just curious who ranks UNLV above SDSU. US News & World Report (No idea how credible) ranks SDSU #151 National university and UNLV 285, and 72/146 public school. No idea if acceptance rate comes into play in their rankings? SDSU which is one of the most applied to schools is 38% vs UNLV which basically everyone gets in is 83%

Reactions: LocoRebel
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT