ADVERTISEMENT

San Jose St vs UNLV Valentines game

RebelScrub

Making UNLV relevent again for locals
May 29, 2001
The Rebels are in a huge tailspin. After a monumental Shellacking against the Aztecs, we have a chance to either stop the bleeding or nosedive into MWC postseason.

I’m not sure what is going on but did the players stop responding to Kevin Kruger? Did they quit?

This is a tough game. It is f’n FREEZING outside. Yes, I know the game is indoors but it’s so cold out there, that will make any travel to the game much worse.

I expect it to be a masoleum. If you take a date with you to the game..major kudos to you.

I want to go but you have to really bundle up.

Back to the game. Rebels win an ugly one 60-57z

Didn’t see this. You can delete my thread if you want.

Go Rebs!

I think they cover -6. Also I would start Nowell from here on out.

I do not think it is as much a problem with not responding as it is with the fact that UNLV has zero offense. Defense does well at the beginning of the season, but as the season progresses the offenses takes over. UNLV has no offense to take over which is a major Achilles heel!

My god..you know what’s bad about this sh*t show? SJSU has a fat kid. Well Kev, put in our own fat kid to counter balance their fat kid. It’s not rocket science.

At least we have a national dance team to cheer for.

That was an amazing performance/routine they put on.

Swept by SJSU and Fresno St in the same season… I think most of us had this 3-1 or 2-2 at worst case but 0-4 says all you need to know about this staff and players, replace them all!

Reactions: RebelSoldat
IF we fire Kruger this early, does UNLV do more damage to its reputation with the coaching circle? Would anyone of considerable caliber be interested in taking this job?

Reactions: LocoRebel
Keshon Gilbert’s body language looks super bad. Has a rough sophomore year.

Poor Hall. He mighta stopped the bleeding. He must really be in the dog house to not even sniff minutes.

IF we fire Kruger this early, does UNLV do more damage to its reputation with the coaching circle? Would anyone of considerable caliber be interested in taking this job?
Maybe but I think at this point you cannot expect things to get better next year, with this staff. The exodus of players at season’s end will only be rivaled by Moses in the old testament!

Keshon Gilbert’s body language looks super bad. Has a rough sophomore year.

Poor Hall. He mighta stopped the bleeding. He must really be in the dog house to not even sniff minutes.
He doesn't see minutes because he can't defend without fouling.

Maybe but I think at this point you cannot expect things to get better next year, with this staff. The exodus of players at season’s end will only be rivaled by Moses in the old testament!
"Maybe but I think at this point you cannot expect things to get better next year"

This!!

Swept by SJSU and Fresno St in the same season… I think most of us had this 3-1 or 2-2 at worst case but 0-4 says all you need to know about this staff and players, replace them all!
Hire Bird. All we need to do is change the dates and the $$ on the old contract.

• Wow
Reactions: RebelScrub
No. It's not a Dave Rice situation where your AD promised him time then fired him 3 games into conference play.

You have to adjust expectations for "anyone of caliber"...
Could we hire Todd Simon, yes. Is he a high Caliber coach, well he built SUU into a tournament team and WAC champion...
Could we hire a fired HC sitting on sidelines- Like a Bruce Weber, Ben Howland
Could we shoot our shot with and hope Jay Wright is bored in retirement.. sure

Do we chase "Coach with NBA tie" or "Big name coach us interested" who knows, probably be tons of guys "reporting" these named interests...

But firing an underperforming and overwhelmed HC at the end of a season isn't even close to what Tina did to Dave.

I do not think it is as much a problem with not responding as it is with the fact that UNLV has zero offense. Defense does well at the beginning of the season, but as the season progresses the offenses takes over. UNLV has no offense to take over which is a major Achilles heel!
They apparently have no defense either. Jesus. Defense is all attitude and at this point in the season their attitude stinks. I'd love to know wtf is going on with this team to turn things so piss-poor so completely.

Reactions: rebel5280
What about hiring Tim Miles away from SJSU, he has been a decent coach at both CSU and now SJSU?

Why do you say that? He gets huge minutes and is not yanked for mistakes/dumb shots like other guys on the team are.
Probably because he can read the writing on the wall and is going to have some better schools whispering to him this offseason.

Why do you say that? He gets huge minutes and is not yanked for mistakes/dumb shots like other guys on the team are.
Thats just what I heard. Idk him personally but know people within the program and around him.

Next years team will look very different and he doesn't want to play with 10 new guys.

• Wow
Reactions: LVRebel2000
Lol better schools..dude he’s hella shook.
So transferring to a school closer to home with a better coach whose able to work him through whatever is in his head wouldn't fix that? I could see Mizzou, KState, Creighton all looking at a young guard that averages 14ppg where the team isn't a rebuild again...

So transferring to a school closer to home with a better coach whose able to work him through whatever is in his head wouldn't fix that? I could see Mizzou, KState, Creighton all looking at a young guard that averages 14ppg where the team isn't a rebuild again...
Boom!

Welcome the the shit town Express..brought to you by..Kevin Kruger.
I feel really bad for KK and LK. Not that I excuse KK's bad recruiting, assistant choices and overall strategy. But I feel for anyone who is in a situation they aren't prepared for. Guaranteed he's sleepless, panicked and has no idea what to do. Two years ago he thinks his career is headed up like a rocket and now it's like a flooded submarine. Sad. And LK is watching his son slowly crumble in front of the entire basketball community. I know I'd be devastated if it was my son.

Hall doesn’t play because he’s liked tweets not only criticizing Kruger but tweets calling Muoka and Victor terrible. He’s a terrible teammate with an attitude problem. Also a defensive liability.

The only player I’d like to keep next year is Nowell. He has potential, he’s a really good passer and can defend. He was also the only player crashing the boards at the end of the game, he seems to be the only one who cares. Keshon looked checked out last night. Bad attitude and body language all night. The icing on the cake was us down 9 and he goes for a tomahawk dunk and misses it instead of just laying it in. He has 0 basketball IQ.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Majority of the team has 0 basketball IQ.

I'd start there. In close games we like to take and miss 3 after 3 instead of just collecting 2 points. You start building a lead or maintaining a lead that way. Defensively, if you're going to gamble and double down on someone, force the most complicated pass possible out of that situation. Our guards double down and drop their guy open about 3 steps away from the person they're doubling. Don't be that guy, lol.. Then Id work on shot positioning for rebounding and shot selection...

Not sure why we seem to end up with an entire team that cant figure out simple team concepts, but I guess when you are using the portal to find mercenaries for 1 or 2 seasons, thats what you get.

So UNLV is set for another mass exodus and reset....I doubt that's going to be the solution to our problems now. It wasn't before.

Hall doesn’t play because he’s liked tweets not only criticizing Kruger but tweets calling Muoka and Victor terrible. He’s a terrible teammate with an attitude problem. Also a defensive liability.
That's pretty terrible. You can't be that immature towards your own team.

So UNLV is set for another mass exodus and reset....I doubt that's going to be the solution to our problems now. It wasn't before.
Considering there are 8 SRs on the team, that was already on the way. There's also not much of an incoming HS class inked to worry about. Thats part of why one could make a sound argument that changing head coaches wont affect the "team" as much this offseason.

That being said. It's frustrating to watch the cheap and easy path was taken by recruiting heavily from the portal. "Graduating guys" seemed to be what his introductory press conference was about- I guess that meant transfers from the portal.
Seems like we were all begging for a "build the right way" approach 2 years ago. Recruiting and playing young guys sprinkled with transfers that you could keep a core of guys together. Too late for that now, and there's going to be a lot of turnover the next few seasons with "win now" pressure to get that "right mix" of guys.

Reactions: RebelSoldat
That's pretty terrible. You can't be that immature towards your own team.
Yeah but step back a bit. We are dealing with An 18 year old kid who doesn’t know any better. I wasn’t the most mature person when I was his age.

Hall probably has some vindication as the season has turned beyond bad.

So Kruger is in a bind. Play the guy or lose the guy. He’s the head coach..figure it out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT