ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

TarkisGod

Lottery Pick
Dec 17, 2005
As this negatively-historic season draws to a merciful close, it seems like a good time to start looking at what the future might hold.

The Rebels received a verbal commitment from Tervell Beck, a 6’7” forward originally from Cleveland, just before the USU game. He comes to UNLV from a post-grad year at OnPoint Academy in El Reno, Oklahoma. He chose the Rebels over Ole Miss, Houston and Arizona State. Beck said he felt a trusting relationship with the coaches. He also noted that the UNLV staff liked Beck for his toughness. It’s always good to have a bruiser on the team. Think Savon Goodman, maybe...?

That’s the third scholarship to be awarded to an incoming player. Beck joins Jay Green, a 6’5” Australian born-and-raised, guard from Hillcrest Prep in Phoenix, and Juco transfer Anthony Smith, a 6’7” forward from Feather River College in Quincy, California. Technically that completes the 2017 roster, as three players are graduating. But no one expects that to be the end of recruiting for next year. There will surely be some movement by current players. I would expect Jaylen Poyser to look elsewhere, for one.

UNLV is still in the running for Brandon McCoy, a 6’11” center from San Diego. ESPN rates him the sixth-best prospect in the country. If Coach Menzies can land McCoy, the Rebel turn-around could come sooner than most of us are expecting. I’m excited.
slam-dunk-smiley-emoticon.gif

Go Rebels!

Last edited:
Reactions: bcvegaspt
Even if we land McCoy, he is a big and they generally take a little longer to get accustomed to the college game. We are at least 2 more seasons away from being in the upper half of the conference. I do believe that MM will get us there. Year 3 is when we will start seeing drastic improvements.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
An interesting tidbit to add, Anthony Smith's AAU club is coached by Sean Manning who is Brandon McCoy's guardian.

Another site is reporting that we landed big man Louis Bangai via a silent verbal early in the season. He checks in at 6'10" & 250 lbs. He is having a really good season this year in Monrovia Ca.

Another site is reporting that we landed big man Louis Bangai via a silent verbal early in the season. He checks in at 6'10" & 250 lbs. He is having a really good season this year in Monrovia Ca.
Ask RJ's reporter Mark Anderson about him & he responded "it's complicated" Someone speculated we get Bangai only if McCoy goes elsewhere. I don't know the validity just speculation at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT