ADVERTISEMENT

Doug Gottlieb

I know he's always wanted the UNLV job when it has opened up.
He knew he didn’t have a shot … but saw how disastrous the hiring process was, a real dumpster fire … and figured he could put his hat in the ring with nothing to lose. Which is the right thing to do from his position. He had some well placed people here in town in an attempt to gain some traction. So they took it and tried to place it and run with it but it never had any legs.

Seems to be a trend of hiring media personalities. Lakers are probably hiring JJ Reddick.
To be fair Reddick was in the league a couple of years ago. Gottleib hasnt played or coached in a long time. I think he has a great basketball mind, grew up a coaches son, his brother is a lifelong coach and Doug has stayed close to the game. I dont think this is huge risk by UWGB because, well they are UWGB not a P4 school.

To be fair Reddick was in the league a couple of years ago. Gottleib hasnt played or coached in a long time. I think he has a great basketball mind, grew up a coaches son, his brother is a lifelong coach and Doug has stayed close to the game. I dont think this is huge risk by UWGB because, well they are UWGB not a P4 school.
He knows the game inside and out, he calls a pretty good game. But that’s a long way off from coaching. And he’s so far distanced from HS/AAU kids (had some sort of in when his dad coached and AAU was more fruitful). But, maybe he can work the NIL game well, who knows?

You’re right, it’s not a risk for UWGB. But for here, it would have been a brutal hire, probably even worse than Menzies who we eventually hired.

Reactions: TimothyC3
He knows the game inside and out, he calls a pretty good game. But that’s a long way off from coaching. And he’s so far distanced from HS/AAU kids (had some sort of in when his dad coached and AAU was more fruitful). But, maybe he can work the NIL game well, who knows?

You’re right, it’s not a risk for UWGB. But for here, it would have been a brutal hire, probably even worse than Menzies who we eventually hired.

Wonder if he brings his brother who has been on staffs up and down the West Coast for about 30 years, but has been a women’s assistant the last few.

His ability to communicate is world class and in a place like Vegas, he would have recruited well. His credentials were weak but had some big strengths also. We recently have hired Menzies and CKK. They both did not have great resumes either. Doug G would have been major buzz around the nation.

Reactions: Rebel Hoya
His ability to communicate is world class and in a place like Vegas, he would have recruited well. His credentials were weak but had some big strengths also. We recently have hired Menzies and CKK. They both did not have great resumes either. Doug G would have been major buzz around the nation.
If we are going to go with an intelligent analyst with no coaching experience to head coach at UNLV, i would opt for one that also played in the NBA, won a national championship, and is a hometown kid that played for UNLV.

If we are going to go with an intelligent analyst with no coaching experience to head coach at UNLV, i would opt for one that also played in the NBA, won a national championship, and is a hometown kid that played for UNLV.
Yep. But remember, Doug was a high level coaches kid and did coach aau also. And all analysts do not fail, seems Steve Kerr did ok.

I've always liked him. Fact is Doug was a huge UNLV fan growing up and knows more about our program than a lot of our fans. Like he really knows his UNLV shit. As far as his coaching...I guess we'll find out.

I think Doug has the makings of a good coach. The fact that his family has been plugged into coaching and AAU gives him an advantage over say Greg. Also Doug has been more plugged in to the college basketball scene than Greg.
Menzies had a much better resume. He had done it before, been in the NCAAT, been an assistant coach. But you kinda know what you are getting. Potential can be more exciting than a known commodity, but definitely a bigger risk. More often than not, it isn't the smart move.

Its a new world with NIL and transfer portal. He doesnt necessarily need to have the AAU connections as long as he can coach. Also what defines success at a program like Green Bay and frankly here.. If he goes into Green Bay and in 3 years makes it to the NCAA tournament, isnt that successful? The game is so much different for recruitment and turning around a program to win a mid-major conference than it was years ago in the Menzies hiring era. We might not have liked the hire, but in todays game, if they get you into the NCAA tournament as a mid-major then youre doing your job, which would be better than any of our coaches in the past decade.

Reactions: TimothyC3

I don't know about worse than Menzies. A loaf of Wonder Bread could have had better results.

So weve gone down the "first time HC former Rebel" path twice and some still want another first time HC former Rebel?

So weve gone down the "first time HC former Rebel" path twice and some still want another first time HC former Rebel?
We aren't really talking now, we are talking a few years ago when we were desperate after being left at the alter by Beard.

Most of us aren't talking Gottlieb now, but more back then. That is why his connections with coaches and AAU matter.

Menzies vs Gottlieb vs Anthony (as a hypothetical).

But I still think that Gottlieb's connections still help him with his new job today. UWGB is not going to be able to play the NIL game, so he will likely need to find high school players that may be overlooked and build around them. Probably JUCOs as well. Knowing a lot of coaches, covering a lot of teams (mostly mid major conferences) gives him a bit of an advantage on the transfer market with players that would not command much NIL money.

Does he want the job!? 😂

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT